News Forum - Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa

Thaiger

41 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Wow, 5 reams of paper is a lot. Are you bringing the whole country?

No, just a single application. It’s what you need it seems, even for a so called “e” visa. You literally have to download a declaration form, sign and date it, scan it back in and upload it. It seems ticking a box or an electronic signature are simply too modern. 

And much much more…..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

See just a stuff shirt type, but you are correct.

I don’t mind you have “culturally appropriated” my language. In fact you are most welcome. All we English ask is that you do it properly. 

Thank you in advance for your understanding 😉

17 minutes ago, Benroon said:

jesus is this a wind up ? So you don't live in Thailand either ?

How many of these thais are buying property overseas out of the 70 million population - give us a percentage.

I also didn't say all westerners are filthy rich but dropping 5-15 million on a house in Thailand is within the reach of the vast majority of westerners that ever had a job. How many thais can do that ?

No idea what the last line means so will have to pass on that 

Can't quote a number but a decent percentage of Thai's own their own property in the 5 to 15 million baht range. As for % of foreigners that are mortgaging properties compared to outright owners can't say.

Thailand has a cheaper lifestyle that most developed nations but live on a shoestring and you get a shoestring lifestyle.

Yet another Junta spokesman that believes expats can't own the land they bought or the business they set up. Charming mate. Keep winding!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

I thought there were already two separate dialects.  That why computers ask if you want US English of UK English.  However, US English seems to be preferred worldwide.  The Australian dialect is also different.

Dialects maybe, but it’s the “English” language. It must stick in the craw a little for the Americans to say they speak English. But don’t worry. It’s our gift to the world along with many other things that have helped humanity. 

No need to thank us. We like helping those less fortunate than us 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Benroon said:

All of that is so absurd it would be hard to know where to start !

So you're saying the average Thai has the same wealth as the average westerner ? Really ?

How many thais do you know own a decent villa in comparison to westerners ? 1% ? 5% ?

If most developers aren't foreign (You know China is 'foreign' right ? that the swathes of land bought with Russian laundered money is foreign right ?) who are they ?

As for your last line - just baffling !

Presumably you don't live in Thailand ?

Go back and read your original post.

You mentioned nothing about average Thai's.

Secondly there are more less fortunate farangs, living in Thailand that rich ones.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TukTuk said:

I don't want to live in Thailand at all. Financially I do not have to. I didn't trap myself there

I’m not sure what percentage of expats are “trapped” financially so to speak in Thailand? I’m trying to cast my mind back to the many expats I’ve met over the years. If I had to put a number on it, I would say it’s around 50%, perhaps more in the poorer parts of the country like Issan. That said, I’ve met people who own businesses and commute regularly back to their homes and family in other parts of the world and could move out of Thailand as and when they choose.

I also think many of those who are “trapped”, let it happen without them noticing. I’ve often told people not to do anything in the first year or two of being out in Thailand. It’s an alluring place Thailand and can emotionally, financially and physically put you off your guard. I’ve seen guys “sell up” and move out there having met the love of their life. They build the house, help the family, maybe start a family late in life and have children to bring up. 2-5 years on, they have never moved beyond the frustration stage of fitting in. Never learned the language. Bored out of their mind and realised plying golf twice a week is expensive in Thailand. They end up on the sofa in the air con streaming tv from back home. I feel genuinely sorry for these guys as they are now both emotionally and financially “trapped”. If only they had paced themselves and not jumped in so quickly. 

A great piece of advice for moving to Thailand. “Only ever take and spend what you can walk away from”.  I’m not quiet as cynical as that, as I would add “until you are completely sure”. And certainly not within the first two years.

Good luck to everyone wherever you lay your hat .. 

22 minutes ago, Benroon said:

jesus is this a wind up ? So you don't live in Thailand either ?

How many of these thais are buying property overseas out of the 70 million population - give us a percentage.

I also didn't say all westerners are filthy rich but dropping 5-15 million on a house in Thailand is within the reach of the vast majority of westerners that ever had a job. How many thais can do that ?

No idea what the last line means so will have to pass on that 

How many foreign school teachers working in Thailand have a 5 to 15 million baht house? They have a job.

How many foreign teachers are currently working in Thailand total?

15,000,000 baht is $500,000 US. I bet you less than <0001% of all foreigners in Thailand have a house in that that price range.

How many 1000's of forum stories do you have to read about foreigners renting, living in a one room flat, trying to survive on 30,000 baht a month?

Do you honestly believe yourself? You are quite short of any facts.

99+% of any decent Moo Ban, the houses are ALL owned by Thai's.

Gated communities, 99% Thai.

You ever read the majority of topics about people moving to Thailand because it is CHEAP?

Ever read about the 1000's using VISA agents because they don't have 400K or 800K for a VISA?

I also didn't say all westerners are filthy rich but dropping 5-15 million on a house in Thailand is within the reach of the vast majority of westerners that ever had a job.

Do a little research and figure out what kind of income you need to afford a US $500,000 house. Then throw in the utilities, home insurance, property tax.

According to your own comment within the reach of the VAST MAJORITY OF WESTERNERS THAT EVER HAD A JOB,

392,000 people in US work for minimum wage, have a job and could NEVER buy a house in the price range you mentioned.

Start a new topic and ask how many foreigners retired and moved to Thailand with US$500,000 in the bank. I bet the answer might wake you up and open your eyes.

20 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Can't quote a number but a decent percentage of Thai's own their own property in the 5 to 15 million baht range. As for % of foreigners that are mortgaging properties compared to outright owners can't say.

Thailand has a cheaper lifestyle that most developed nations but live on a shoestring and you get a shoestring lifestyle.

Yet another Junta spokesman that believes expats can't own the land they bought or the business they set up. Charming mate. Keep winding!!!

Right so you can't back your ludicrous claim up with a figure - hmmm odd that ! I'm going to hazard a guess of around 0.000000001 %

Your second line is again incomprehensible and adds nothing - you seem to now be saying thais are poor (prior that they were wealthy enough to buy overseas property ?) Which is it ?)

and I'm a junta spokesperson ? Childish retort but clearly you haven't been on here long. I have given the reason you can't buy land which has some substance in sense - however you've thrown all your toys out of the pram because your personal circumstances should be prioritised over the indigenous population. Nice !

Presumably you're not from the UK - but for those from the UK who believe we should be able to buy land in Thailand, I wonder how many protested to the UK government when they passed laws to stop the russians buying up London in 2015. Or were you all happy to let them price born Londoners out of their areas ?

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m not sure what percentage of expats are “trapped” financially so to speak in Thailand? I’m trying to cast my mind back to the many expats I’ve met over the years. If I had to put a number on it, I would say it’s around 50%, perhaps more in the poorer parts of the country like Issan. That said, I’ve met people who own businesses and commute regularly back to their homes and family in other parts of the world and could move out of Thailand as and when they choose.

I also think many of those who are “trapped”, let it happen without them noticing. I’ve often told people not to do anything in the first year or two of being out in Thailand. It’s an alluring place Thailand and can emotionally, financially and physically put you off your guard. I’ve seen guys “sell up” and move out there having met the love of their life. They build the house, help the family, maybe start a family late in life and have children to bring up. 2-5 years on, they have never moved beyond the frustration stage of fitting in. Never learned the language. Bored out of their mind and realised plying golf twice a week is expensive in Thailand. They end up on the sofa in the air con streaming tv from back home. I feel genuinely sorry for these guys as they are now both emotionally and financially “trapped”. If only they had paced themselves and not jumped in so quickly. 

A great piece of advice for moving to Thailand. “Only ever take and spend what you can walk away from”.  I’m not quiet as cynical as that, as I would add “until you are completely sure”. And certainly not within the first two years.

Good luck to everyone wherever you lay your hat .. 

Over 20 to 30 years, any location, including the third world, can drastically change from what it use to be. No one could have predicted and planned what the exact changes would be, but anyone that visited Thailand in the 1980's and compare it 2021 will know exactly what I am talking about.

Once you retire in Thailand, if the costs continue to rise and you have no way to earn additional money, own no home in your own country, you are indeed financially trapped if you want to move.

Exactly as you mentioned being trapped on the sofa watching streaming TV all day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Right so you can't back your ludicrous claim up with a figure - hmmm odd that ! I'm going to hazard a guess of around 0.000000001 %

Your second line is again incomprehensible and adds nothing - you seem to now be saying thais are poor (prior that they were wealthy enough to buy overseas property ?) Which is it ?)

and I'm a junta spokesperson ? Childish retort but clearly you haven't been on here long. I have given the reason you can't buy land which has some substance in sense - however you've thrown all your toys out of the pram because your personal circumstances should be prioritised over the indigenous population. Nice !

Presumably you're not from the UK - but for those from the UK who believe we should be able to buy land in Thailand, I wonder how many protested to the UK government when they passed laws to stop the russians buying up London in 2015. Or were you all happy to let them price born Londoners out of their areas ?

Oh really mate ...sticks and stones. You truly do come up with bollocks, Sorry I hurt you feelings while you spew out enough BS to fertilize the third world. If your happy with your Junta boyfriends then so be it.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

Go back and read your original post.

You mentioned nothing about average Thai's.

Secondly there are more less fortunate farangs, living in Thailand that rich ones.

omg ! 

That's correct I didn't mention 'average thai' in my original post - and ? What's your point ? That came in the second post and was used to ask another poster a question - not sure why you find that confusing.

The third line also makes absolutely zero sense - this is not about the general wealth of farangs - it's about the advantage they have over the 'average' thai when it comes to land ownership - maybe read it a little slower to grasp what is being said. You are going off on tangents everywhere - stick to the point.

Or even better answer the question I put to the other guy frothing about land ownership - are you ok with russians coming into London buying up huge areas, which means huge prices rippling out across London and the boroughs preventing londoners buying homes in their own city. Are you ok with that ? Do you think that's fair ? If you're not then finally I'm hoping the penny will have dropped.

2 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Oh really mate ...sticks and stones. You truly do come up with bollocks, Sorry I hurt you feelings while you spew out enough BS to fertilize the third world. If your happy with your Junta boyfriends then so be it.

Sticks and Stone ??? What are you 10 ? So nothing to add and nothing to back up your claims, only childish comments with no basis in fact.

So what bollocks ? Explain to me where I'm wrong with something of substance, you never know you may be right. Highly unlikely for sure, but you never know.

You didn't hurt my feelings at all so don't fret about that. Listen there's nothing wrong with losing a debate - it happens to everyone.

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

Sticks and Stone ??? What are you 10 ? So nothing to add and nothing to back up your claims, only childish comments with no basis in fact.

So what bollocks ? Explain to me where I'm wrong with something of substance, you never know you may be right. Highly unlikely for sure, but you never know.

You didn't hurt my feelings at all so don't fret about that. Listen there's nothing wrong with losing a debate - it happens to everyone.

So take it like a man. Stop the mellow drama and READ the posts rather than carrying on with this juvenile nonsense.

As mentioned I don't have figures and percentages. If you do pass them on.

I have bought 2 plots of land neither in my name have been here for over 30 years. As for the wealth of Thai's or the poverty of others is not the issue. Its a persons rights. However many Thai's have been given privileges that we don't have.

This is coming from Thai lawyers and overseas Thai's. People that 100% own their own business their own homes/land duel citizenship and don't need to report every 90 days!!! 

Thailand has its reasons for putting in the stops but there are situations where it is draconian.

As I said get back to your Junta boyfriends. I've no doubt they'll pat you on the head and say thank you.

3 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

So take it like a man. Stop the mellow drama and READ the posts rather than carrying on with this juvenile nonsense.

I have bought 2 plots of land neither in my name have been here for over 30 years. As for the wealth of Thai's or the poverty of others is not the issue. Its a persons rights. However many Thai's have been given privileges that we don't have.

This is coming from Thai lawyers and overseas Thai's. People that 100% own their own business their own homes/land duel citizenship and don't need to report every 90 days!!! 

Thailand has its reasons for putting in the stops but there are situations where it is draconian.

As I said get back to your Junta boyfriends. I've no doubt they'll pat you on the head and say thank you.

Take what like a man ? You're not making any sense at all - absolutely NONE of the diatribe above is anything to do with what was being said -  nothing. Which was all about WHY the thais restrict land ownership. So thanks for the rant but if you could just get back to the point ? 

You keep dodging the russians buying up London so londoners cannot buy their own homes question, so fair or not ?

Still if you've had time to write all the above, I assume you've now managed to pick up all your toys ?

4 hours ago, TukTuk said:

How many foreign school teachers working in Thailand have a 5 to 15 million baht house? They have a job.

How many foreign teachers are currently working in Thailand total?

15,000,000 baht is $500,000 US. I bet you less than <0001% of all foreigners in Thailand have a house in that that price range.

How many 1000's of forum stories do you have to read about foreigners renting, living in a one room flat, trying to survive on 30,000 baht a month?

Do you honestly believe yourself? You are quite short of any facts.

99+% of any decent Moo Ban, the houses are ALL owned by Thai's.

Gated communities, 99% Thai.

You ever read the majority of topics about people moving to Thailand because it is CHEAP?

Ever read about the 1000's using VISA agents because they don't have 400K or 800K for a VISA?

I also didn't say all westerners are filthy rich but dropping 5-15 million on a house in Thailand is within the reach of the vast majority of westerners that ever had a job.

Do a little research and figure out what kind of income you need to afford a US $500,000 house. Then throw in the utilities, home insurance, property tax.

According to your own comment within the reach of the VAST MAJORITY OF WESTERNERS THAT EVER HAD A JOB,

392,000 people in US work for minimum wage, have a job and could NEVER buy a house in the price range you mentioned.

Start a new topic and ask how many foreigners retired and moved to Thailand with US$500,000 in the bank. I bet the answer might wake you up and open your eyes.

again absolutely nothing to do with the subject whatsoever. We are not even far apart, I want to own land, it would have saved me a small fortune in legal fees, it would also have made me considerably richer but we're not talking  about that - this started because I said despite being annoying I can understand why foreigners cannot buy land and suddenly shitloads of toys went up in the air.

So I'll ask you yet again - the russians buying up London meaning Londoners cannot buy a home - fair or not ?

Yes or No is fine

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

again absolutely nothing to do with the subject whatsoever. We are not even far apart, I want to own land, it would have saved me a small fortune in legal fees, it would also have made me considerably richer but we're not talking  about that - this started because I said despite being annoying I can understand why foreigners cannot buy land and suddenly shitloads of toys went up in the air.

So I'll ask you yet again - the russians buying up London meaning Londoners cannot buy a home - fair or not ?

Yes or No is fine

You think foreigners buying land in other countries is something new?

Come on man, since the beginning of time.

Some people get an education, get a decent job and can afford a house.

Other's slag off and wonder why they cannot afford a house and end up in a 1 room rental flat in Thailand the rest of their life.

My wife and I have 26 rai (in her name but so what)?

The land has never made me one baht, instead I send money every year to cover the farming costs  which goes to  feeding an extended clan.

So owning land would not make you considerable richer.

I do have a house in Florida appreciated $175K in the last 2 years. Did that make me rich? No that makes me average same as everyone else.

Any purchase, depending on terms, has the propensity to end up upside down.

It takes big money to get rich.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

omg ! 

That's correct I didn't mention 'average thai' in my original post - and ? What's your point ? That came in the second post and was used to ask another poster a question - not sure why you find that confusing.

The third line also makes absolutely zero sense - this is not about the general wealth of farangs - it's about the advantage they have over the 'average' thai when it comes to land ownership - maybe read it a little slower to grasp what is being said. You are going off on tangents everywhere - stick to the point.

Or even better answer the question I put to the other guy frothing about land ownership - are you ok with russians coming into London buying up huge areas, which means huge prices rippling out across London and the boroughs preventing londoners buying homes in their own city. Are you ok with that ? Do you think that's fair ? If you're not then finally I'm hoping the penny will have dropped.

I am 100% OK with that.

The whole world operates that way.

Money talks and BS walks.

The way of the world

6 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

I have to say, you summarise the issue perfectly. I also don’t have numbers or percentages. However, just one sets the precedence and enough to show it to be unacceptable. Why should even one Thai citizen be allowed to own a business or own land in a country where the opposite is simply not possible. Isn’t it just a simple case of fairness? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Yes or No is fine

If you can understand why foreigners can’t buy land in Thailand (although I dispute the notion that Thailand would suddenly belong to foreigners), then do you at least agree the same arrangements should be in place for Thais to own land overseas? Why can foreigners not own land in Thailand and yet Thais can own land overseas? Surely that’s just plain wrong ? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

If you can understand why foreigners can’t buy land in Thailand (although I dispute the notion that Thailand would suddenly belong to foreigners), then do you at least agree the same arrangements should be in place for Thais to own land overseas? Why can foreigners not own land in Thailand and yet Thais can own land overseas? Surely that’s just plain wrong ? 

But I haven’t said they shouldn’t be able to buy land in Thailand -  what I said was I can understand why the rules are in place. Do I like them ? Not one bit. Would I jump at the chance of owning land if I could ? 100%. But I don’t make the rules, however some are so busy launching their toys everywhere they didn’t actually read what I said!

Do I think it’s wrong there’s not a reciprocal agreement in place re land purchases ? No I don’t tbh. Annoying for sure, but ‘wrong’ nah.

I’ve very clearly said already why you are comparing apples to oranges when comparing land purchase opportunities between rich and let’s say poorer destinations in each other’s countries.

It’s odd no-one wants to go near my Russians in London question which is an absolute direct comparison that the U.K. bought laws in to prevent. The reason being, is to say it’s ok means you don’t give a shit about your own nations people and to say no makes you a hypocrite. 

(I mean the royal ‘you’ not as in YOU SD 😉

19 minutes ago, Benroon said:

But I haven’t said they shouldn’t be able to buy land in Thailand -  what I said was I can understand why the rules are in place. Do I like them ? Not one bit. Would I jump at the chance of owning land if I could ? 100%. But I don’t make the rules, however some are so busy launching their toys everywhere they didn’t actually read what I said!

Do I think it’s wrong there’s not a recipro

24 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Do I think it’s wrong there’s not a reciprocal agreement in place re land purchases ? No I don’t tbh. Annoying for sure, but ‘wrong’ nah

cal agreement in place re land purchases ? No I don’t tbh. Annoying for sure, but ‘wrong’ nah.

I’ve very clearly said already why you are comparing apples to oranges when comparing land purchase opportunities between rich and let’s say poorer destinations in each other’s countries.

It’s odd no-one wants to go near my Russians in London question which is an absolute direct comparison that the U.K. bought laws in to prevent. The reason being, is to say it’s ok means you don’t give a shit about your own nations people and to say no makes you a hypocrite. 

(I mean the royal ‘you’ not as in YOU SD 😉

No problem, and I wasn’t suggesting you had said anything in favour or against you being able to own land in Thailand. I just wanted to check your view on the right of land ownership. 

To address the question of Russians buying up land and property in the U.K., I think it is one and the same question, though on a much bigger scale. I believe land and property ownership for foreigners should be either their main residence in the country, or something they do as a business ownership. So if it’s your main property and you live in it in Thailand or the U.K., then no problem. If you own a business regarding property development, then again, no problem if you allow foreign people to own businesses. This would stop speculation and simply buying high end properties and letting them sit there empty, or buying up swathes of land and not developing it. You could and should establish rules against such practice from both local people and foreigners. 

I would like to understand why you don’t see it as a problem that reciprocal arrangements are not in place. This is after all my main assertion. It just seem totally unreasonable that a foreigner such as a Thai can come to my country and own a home and yet I can’t do that in Thailand. Either Thailand changes or the U.K. should change to stop Thais. 

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

Take what like a man ? You're not making any sense at all - absolutely NONE of the diatribe above is anything to do with what was being said -  nothing. Which was all about WHY the thais restrict land ownership. So thanks for the rant but if you could just get back to the point ? 

You keep dodging the russians buying up London so londoners cannot buy their own homes question, so fair or not ?

Still if you've had time to write all the above, I assume you've now managed to pick up all your toys ?

WTF do Russians in London have anything to do with this topic? If you have a hatred towards other nationalities or consider all their nationals as low lifes or mafioso's then so what?

I didn't dodge the question but it seems foolish to bring this up when a wanted felon such as Taksin Shinawat with his golden passport has a property in London. Does it not seem strange to you that Saudi's have bought Newcastle United soccer club and you also conveniently dodged my comments about why Thai's have been given rights in developed nations that we are denied here?

Ben if you truly believe a foreigner/expat that resides in Thailand and has family here simply wanting to own their own homes is such a bad thing then so be it.

I get jack from the Thai government and nor do I want anything from them. As mentioned in other threads relationships between nations are not reciprocal. With all the good things about Thailand the one big negative for me is they are excellent at taking but atrocious at sharing or giving.

In the end I've never met you and  don't know who you are. And backward/forward squabbling has gotten old very quickly. I apologize for stating a similar want that Soidog and TukTuk mentioned. After all it was my choice to move here and invest here. I made my bed so I'll lie in it.

Many draconian measures taken lately such as cutting foreigners interest in bank accounts, blocking dual citizenship among others are in part due to covid as well as Anutin's/Junta's hatred towards us. 

All I referred to was that a person that resides here with family should have a right to own property. I'm still at a loss as why you oppose this and have such disdain for somebody wanting this.

Lets simply agree to disagree and move on.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

WTF do Russians in London have anything to do with this topic?

If you really don't understand the comparison you are correct there is no point in debating it, especially as we are far closer to the same side than you think. I was not in support of banning farangs buying land, I've never come even close to saying that, but I UNDERSTOOD why it was in place. Very different.

The comparison is that the UK government bought in heavy CGT laws in 2015 to stop Russians buying up London with their immense wealth, subsequently the markets went nuts and everyone put their prices up accordingly as word got around there was shitloads of cash in town. The ripple effect across London then meant hard working Londoners, incl the likes of doctors, accountants etc couldn't afford to buy there. It became a big problem and the government had to step in.

Exactly the same situation would happen if anyone could buy land in Thailand, it's an absolute direct comparison but as SD noted only on a larger, wealthier, scale but the outcome would be the same.

So the UK can pass laws to prevent foreigners taking advantage of what is for them cheap deals but the thai government can't ? That's hypocrisy. Like I said I didn't say I agree with it, but I can understand it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Soidog said:

No problem, and I wasn’t suggesting you had said anything in favour or against you being able to own land in Thailand. I just wanted to check your view on the right of land ownership. 

To address the question of Russians buying up land and property in the U.K., I think it is one and the same question, though on a much bigger scale. I believe land and property ownership for foreigners should be either their main residence in the country, or something they do as a business ownership. So if it’s your main property and you live in it in Thailand or the U.K., then no problem. If you own a business regarding property development, then again, no problem if you allow foreign people to own businesses. This would stop speculation and simply buying high end properties and letting them sit there empty, or buying up swathes of land and not developing it. You could and should establish rules against such practice from both local people and foreigners. 

I would like to understand why you don’t see it as a problem that reciprocal arrangements are not in place. This is after all my main assertion. It just seem totally unreasonable that a foreigner such as a Thai can come to my country and own a home and yet I can’t do that in Thailand. Either Thailand changes or the U.K. should change to stop Thais. 

We are in complete agreement  - but oddly I think your second paragraph more or less answers the question in your third. It's just about balances I guess and the first job of government, any government anywhere is to put their people first, the people who pay the taxes, I'm not saying the thais have with their monumental abortion of a vaccine rollout, but that is their job however much a mess they may make of it. 

19 hours ago, TukTuk said:

I am 100% OK with that.

The whole world operates that way.

Money talks and BS walks.

The way of the world

Then we're different people - for me I think the local people should have a chance to buy homes in areas where they come from and where their families are and not be outbid by wealthy foreign speculators.

I'm a capitalist too but there has to be limits which mean social cohesion isn't undermined imo.

• Like 3