News Forum - Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa

Thaiger

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Very, very true.

We live out in the sticks, a bit outside the village, and pretty much as far up the hill towards the national park as you can get and still have a chanute.

Any further out and, apart from in a village where there's safety in numbers, if you build a decent house it's likely to be "confiscated" by someone - as the village policeman warned us. A Thai did exactly that at much the same time as us and within a year - "confiscated".

We paid over the odds for what was essentially farm land, the same price as in the village - and now anyone buying land in the same sort of area pays the same inflated price if it's fronting the road.

Yeah I've heard about the confiscations, especially where hills and mountains are concerned - the most extreme case I've heard was a very rich guy from Prachin Buri (seriously rich so you would think has all the influence he needs) built a string of upmarket villas (around 15,000 baht PER night) - and almost completed, had them all taken because it was claimed he had encroached on about 3 feet of the foot of the mountains. They are still sat there, abandoned.

Mind you it doesn't seem to apply to Phuket as the mountains are littered with houses a long way up!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Yep - I read them all and look at the elite at least once a year just for an easy life like you say, and everytime something just pulls me back (not necessarily the cost) - will probably jump one day if it's sensible enough.

If the political situation was more stable then I would have also consider that as an option. Over the past 6 years my thoughts of investing more time in Thailand have diminished somewhat. I’m not yet at retirement age, though as the years pass, my thoughts for a warmer climate and chilled out life are tending more towards Southern Europe. I love Thailand and the Thai people. I just don’t feel so comfortable as I did there compared to some years ago. Maybe I will mellow in years to come 😂😂

26 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I wasn't pointing out that there were "things wrong in another country", though - just things wrong with what you were saying!

Maybe if you spent less time criticising other posters and reporting and complaining about them, and pontificating about how the forum should be run to suit you, we could all get along rather better and your contributions may be more on point and useful.

Maybe.

Funnily enough Stonker. I find I get along well with the vast majority of people and have never had a problem with the forum; something which can’t be said of yourself. You need to get me out of your head and I will put you back on ignore. I have tried many times to hold out an olive branch to you. Each and every time you have rejected it in favour of nitpicking and attempts to bully people. I am fully aware of the views and opinions of my posts and yours by other members 

Now the topic is . 
Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa

I would suggest you stick to it

2 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Many expats that have bought land and set up homes in their Thai partners name will lose their right to live in that home even with a Last Will and Testament leaving an estate should their partner pass away. They must move out of their own home. Should there be no will it reverts to the spouses family. Be it that the ones spouse parted ways with the family and/or the family did jack and inherited purely by being related.

Sorry, @mickkotlarski, but that's badly incorrect.

If your spouse dies intestate you have exactly the same statutory inheritance rights under Thai law as a Thai.

It comes under the Civil and Commercial Code under Section 1629 (statutory heirs, relatives); Section 1635 (statutory heirs, spouse); and Section 1639 (foreigners).

Your share as an intestate spouse varies depending on what other statutory heirs there are, but in very broad terms you'd get 50% as a spouse with the other 50% divided up between the rest if there were children or parents, and two thirds if there were no children or parents but other blood relatives such as uncles, aunts, siblings, grand-parents, etc, who'd share the other third.

The problem isn't inheritance rights, either with a will or intestate, but your rights to inherit land as a foreigner which comes under Clause 93 of the Land Code, and Section 87, which puts limits on how much and for how long before you have to sell (very broadly, again, one rai for one year).

I deliberately haven't put links as it's easy to check, but a lawyer can confirm that for you. 

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You need to get me out of your head and I will put you back on ignore

Splendid - thank you for amply proving my point.

25 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Yeah I've heard about the confiscations, especially where hills and mountains are concerned - the most extreme case I've heard was a very rich guy from Prachin Buri (seriously rich so you would think has all the influence he needs) built a string of upmarket villas (around 15,000 baht PER night) - and almost completed, had them all taken because it was claimed he had encroached on about 3 feet of the foot of the mountains. They are still sat there, abandoned.

Mind you it doesn't seem to apply to Phuket as the mountains are littered with houses a long way up!

A previous provincial governor has a small but nice  holiday house a bit further up and he built his front wall too near the road. 

When they were widening and re-surfacing the road a few years ago they just drove the grader straight over the wall and left him to clear the rubble!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, @mickkotlarski, but that's badly incorrect.

If your spouse dies intestate you have exactly the same statutory inheritance rights under Thai law as a Thai.

It comes under the Civil and Commercial Code under Section 1629 (statutory heirs, relatives); Section 1635 (statutory heirs, spouse); and Section 1639 (foreigners).

Your share as an intestate spouse varies depending on what other statutory heirs there are, but in very broad terms you'd get 50% as a spouse with the other 50% divided up between the rest if there were children or parents, and two thirds if there were no children or parents but other blood relatives such as uncles, aunts, siblings, grand-parents, etc, who'd share the other third.

The problem isn't inheritance rights, either with a will or intestate, but your rights to inherit land as a foreigner which comes under Clause 93 of the Land Code, and Section 87, which puts limits on how much and for how long before you have to sell (very broadly, again, one rai for one year).

I deliberately haven't put links as it's easy to check, but a lawyer can confirm that for you. 

I'm actually well aware of the 50% division. Hence my point. The allocation when an individual is making a Last Will and Testament in sound body and mind that specifies a sole beneficiary is dishonored. What you are referring to Stonker is the case in which no Last Will and testament is made.

My beef here is that in the case of property allocated an expat must vacate their homes. I fully understand the governments point of view but it remains a bitter pill to swallow. The saving grace I guess id as you mentioned one rai of land per year which is reasonable.

In closing I did consult a lawyer (dodgy fellow actually) but in short if my spouse dies I lose my right to live in my house and half goes to the family if no will was written. Sorry but in that respect I was correct.

This is where I think the Thai government is a tab rough.

4 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

I'm actually well aware of the 50% division. Hence my point. The allocation when an individual is making a Last Will and Testament in sound body and mind that specifies a sole beneficiary is dishonored. What you are referring to Stonker is the case in which no Last Will and testament is made.

My beef here is that in the case of property allocated an expat must vacate their homes. I fully understand the governments point of view but it remains a bitter pill to swallow. The saving grace I guess id as you mentioned one rai of land per year which is reasonable.

In closing I did consult a lawyer (dodgy fellow actually) but in short if my spouse dies I lose my right to live in my house and half goes to the family if no will was written. Sorry but in that respect I was correct.

It would go to our children. So if they want to kick me out, I'll move in with them.

43 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Oh no I have no interest at all in opening a bar or restaurant. You must be confusing me with another member. The only way I would ever open a bar would be to finance a Thai bar/restaurant and keep well out of the way. I would want the Thais to assume it’s entirely owned by Thais! 

My line of business is to provide consultancy services and operate an associate model whereby we draw in expertise dependant on the clients requirements. Nothing involved in bars or restaurants. 

Sounds like a hustler.

6 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

You are all telling about yourself.

I make no secret that I don't like shirt lifters. However it you do then carry on, I am not prejudiced at all and you are free to undertake your sexual deviancies as you wish if that floats your boat. I just don't want them anchoring in my moorings.

7 minutes ago, gummy said:

I make no secret that I don't like shirt lifters. However it you do then carry on, I am not prejudiced at all and you are free to undertake your sexual deviancies as you wish if that floats your boat. I just don't want them anchoring in my moorings.

Priceless!!!!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Sorry, no, if I've understood what you're saying correctly that's absolutely not the case - a Will is absolutely not "dishonoured" or over-ruled by any statutory heirs - that only applies if your spouse dies intestate, not if they leave a Will.

2 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

I'm still not sure if I've understood you correctly, but if there's a Will the only problem is with Clause 97 / Section 83 of the Land Code, but that generally entitles you to stay in the house, as yours, for a year  while looking for another option such as a lease.

It's far from ideal, granted, but it doesn't mean you're flung out with no alternatives.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this aspect changes at some stage, in some way, as it's the one part of land ownership by foreigners many Thais don't seem to mind about, but I'd be amazed if genuine land ownership was included with a ten year or any other visa - it's just too controversial and there's too little to be gained by it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Sorry, no, if I've understood what you're saying correctly that's absolutely not the case - a Will is absolutely not "dishonoured" or over-ruled by any statutory heirs - that only applies if your spouse dies intestate, not if they leave a Will.

I'm still not sure if I've understood you correctly, but if there's a Will the only problem is with Clause 97 / Section 83 of the Land Code, but that generally entitles you to stay in the house, as yours, for a year  while looking for another option such as a lease.

It's far from ideal, granted, but it doesn't mean you're flung out with no alternatives.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this aspect changes at some stage, in some way, as it's the one part of land ownership by foreigners many Thais don't seem to mind about, but I'd be amazed if genuine land ownership was included with a ten year or any other visa - it's just too controversial and there's too little to be gained by it.

And hence we are in agreement. Its the one and only thing I want from the Thai government Stonker and honestly believe that after the Junta has had its day may come good. Its not just many but virtually all Thais I've spoken to see this as fair and reasonable.

Without trying to sound hypocritical but I actually agree with many of the stops the government has put in place about expats but this is one that does deserve parity.

Not to sound like a broken record but my wife and her family apologized to me after hearing about some of the bias against expats. Similarly I have stood in the Australian embassy with fellow Aussies cursing the officials when simply applying a one year residency visa for my wife to whom I got married to back home was told to wait 6 months.

I have to agree with what yourself, Soidog and LoongFred have all said but military governments are people that shoot from the hip. Sure there have been great warrior kings in history but when it comes to democratic governments they fall terribly short in covering all bases.

But there is one thing I do disagree with you. When you say in closing that too little is to be gained from a person that paid for their plot of land and built a house having the right to own it based on nationality must be denied. That is hitting below the belt.

Shall we ask or better still order all the overseas Thais that have overseas property to move out because they are different whilst they grief over the death of their partner?  Should we tell them that half their rightful inheritance be allocated to their family in marriage and their life savings be halved?  Maybe the expat Thai should have their new citizenship stripped, an honour that is very seldomly issued to a dirty falang in Thailand? 

• Like 2

Do I care about owning land in my name in Thailand? Absolutely not. My wife's name is good enough for me.

The VISA is no issue as it is, unless you are skint and living on the cheap end of things.

For me their is just no attraction if you can afford to live well in your own country.

Thailand has done nothing over the past 20 years for the betterment of their own citizenships. 

Think it is going to be better off if you have some money? Wrong. They want money, they don't want you but have come to realize without money from other countries it will be a long road to recovery if it ever recovers.

China will be the only ones buying into this idea as it is probably one of the few countries where the cities are actually 10 times worse and people need to escape

Look at all the international travelers right now? What, a few hundred this week? Where are the millions?

As the years roll on Thailand is becoming more polluted, more traffic congested, more and more problems the government has no willingness to solve because there is no money in it for them. It can only get worse and no one really works to solve anything except putting money in their own pockets. Buying submarines during Covid is a good example.

One big thing I fear about living in Thailand as I get older and that is medical.

There is simply no way to call 911 and get rushed to the hospital in a few minutes.

Hell, Thai drivers wont even move out of the way for an ambulance or emergency vehicle and you could die right there in traffic.

The 10+ years in Thailand, for us, there was never an upswing in the quality of life, things getting better, etc.

It just seemed to get a little worse every year, more crowded, more pollution, prices going up.

I might have to work a few years longer to stay where I am, but the quality of life is good. My job has been turned into a work from home forever and that is really not a bad thing.

When I look at all our photos and all the great times we had in Thailand, I realize those days are long gone.

I cannot see anything all at, owning a house and 19 rai there that would make me ever want to move back permanently. I simply do not have to just for financial reasons. Thailand just not offer me or my family any close to as nice as we already have it.

We can be at the cruise ship terminal in 40 minutes or catch a cheap flight all all parts of the Caribbean.

bp1.jpg

Grilles.jpg

Edited by Smithydog
Excess image to post allowance removed
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

Do I care about owning land in my name in Thailand? Absolutely not. My wife's name is good enough for me.

The VISA is no issue as it is, unless you are skint and living on the cheap end of things.

For me their is just no attraction if you can afford to live well in your own country.

Thailand has done nothing over the past 20 years for the betterment of their own citizenships. 

Think it is going to be better off if you have some money? Wrong. They want money, they don't want you but have come to realize without money from other countries it will be a long road to recovery if it ever recovers.

China will be the only ones buying into this idea as it is probably one of the few countries where the cities are actually 10 times worse and people need to escape

Look at all the international travelers right now? What, a few hundred this week? Where are the millions?

As the years roll on Thailand is becoming more polluted, more traffic congested, more and more problems the government has no willingness to solve because there is no money in it for them. It can only get worse and no one really works to solve anything except putting money in their own pockets. Buying submarines during Covid is a good example.

One big thing I fear about living in Thailand as I get older and that is medical.

There is simply no way to call 911 and get rushed to the hospital in a few minutes.

Hell, Thai drivers wont even move out of the way for an ambulance or emergency vehicle and you could die right there in traffic.

The 10+ years in Thailand, for us, there was never an upswing in the quality of life, things getting better, etc.

It just seemed to get a little worse every year, more crowded, more pollution, prices going up.

I might have to work a few years longer to stay where I am, but the quality of life is good. My job has been turned into a work from home forever and that is really not a bad thing.

When I look at all our photos and all the great times we had in Thailand, I realize those days are long gone.

I cannot see anything all at, owning a house and 19 rai there that would make me ever want to move back permanently. I simply do not have to just for financial reasons. Thailand just not offer me or my family any close to as nice as we already have it.

We can be at the cruise ship terminal in 40 minutes or catch a cheap flight all all parts of the Caribbean.

bp1.jpg

Grilles.jpg

b2.png

Correct on all counts but don't rub it in too badly for those of us that still call it home.

• Like 1

All that being said, I still love our place in Isaan.

Relegated now to maybe a visit every few years.

i3.png

i2.png

Edited by Smithydog
Excess image to post allowance removed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Funnily enough Stonker. I find I get along well with the vast majority of people and have never had a problem with the forum; something which can’t be said of yourself. You need to get me out of your head and I will put you back on ignore. I have tried many times to hold out an olive branch to you. Each and every time you have rejected it in favour of nitpicking and attempts to bully people. I am fully aware of the views and opinions of my posts and yours by other members 

Now the topic is . 
Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa

I would suggest you stick to it

Does selling time shares to foreign visitors qualify. Just a thought. I’m not interested in buying or selling, because it’s mostly a rip off. I’m retired am set pretty well financially.

29 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

And hence we are in agreement. Its the one and only thing I want from the Thai government Stonker and honestly believe that after the Junta has had its day may come good. Its not just many but virtually all Thais I've spoken to see this as fair and reasonable.

Without trying to sound hypocritical but I actually agree with many of the stops the government has put in place about expats but this is one that does deserve parity.

Not to sound like a broken record but my wife and her family apologized to me after hearing about some of the bias against expats. Similarly I have stood in the Australian embassy with fellow Aussies cursing the officials when simply applying a one year residency visa for my wife to whom I got married to back home was told to wait 6 months.

I have to agree with what yourself, Soidog and LoongFred have all said but military governments are people that shoot from the hip. Sure there have been great warrior kings in history but when it comes to democratic governments they fall terribly short in covering all bases.

But there is one thing I do disagree with you. When you say in closing that too little is to be gained from a person that paid for their plot of land and built a house having the right to own it based on nationality must be denied. That is hitting below the belt.

Shall we ask or better still order all the overseas Thais that have overseas property to move out because they are different whilst they grief over the death of their partner?  Should we tell them that half their rightful inheritance be allocated to their family in marriage and their life savings be halved?  Maybe the expat Thai should have their new citizenship stripped, an honour that is very seldomly issued to a dirty falang in Thailand? 

I'm still not sure if I've understood you or not.

As long as the Thai spouse has made a will, there is NO obligation to "move out" and farangs don't get "half their rightful inheritance be allocated to their family in marriage and their life savings be halved".

That happens in some countries, including some European countries, where you can't rule statutory heirs out of your Will, but that isn't the case in Thailand.

It only applies if there's no Will (intestate), which seems perfectly reasonable and isn't unusual in many countries.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stonker said:

I'm still not sure if I've understood you or not.

As long as the Thai spouse has made a will, there is NO obligation to "move out" and farangs don't get "half their rightful inheritance be allocated to their family in marriage and their life savings be halved".

That happens in some countries, including some European countries, where you can't rule statutory heirs out of your Will, but that isn't the case in Thailand.

It only applies if there's no Will (intestate), which seems perfectly reasonable and isn't unusual in many countries.

Copy that!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Henry said:

Ok, so I’m potentially one of the people being targeted by the plans. Long term visitor to Thailand, fortunate to be able to eat well most nights and thinking about taking my foot off the gas a bit. Not fully retiring but concentrating on the things in life that bring pleasure.

I don’t think the government is turning their back on bread & butter tourists, they will still come in the usual way for a few weeks. But I want to lay down a few roots. Spend European winters in Thailand, own a nice property overlooking Phang Nga By, possibly do some business which encourages more people to visit and generally promote the area. 

I don’t need to launder money, have no desire to run a bar or marry a local and don’t think I will step on anyone’s toes. I know the rules and my place.

But Thailand’s current suspicion of foreign investment makes it hard and puts a lot of people off. There are ways to work the system but ultimately the very people you want in the country are the ones being discouraged until now.

Absolutely keep mainstream tourism numbers coming so traditional businesses can continue to prosper but a thousand people bringing in $1 million plus each is a good thing particularly when they bring with them skills that can help the wider economy.

I get so frustrated seeing Thai businesses trying to attract the tourist dollar but failing on some fundamental, easy to correct areas. As a tourist myself it’s easy to see why people flock to MacDonalds or Starbucks but it doesn’t have to be that way. Similarly if I can attract people wanting to spend $10, 20 or $30,000 per week during their holiday and the money stays in the Thai economy where’s the harm?

The problem is the current clowns in power are incompetent are not able to listen or reflect anything. Anyway they would not understand what you try to explain them. You expect logic or common sense but this doesn't exist anymore since they are in power.

31 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

I don't know what your experience of the Thai ambulance / rescue services is, but that's simply not correct unless you live in a seriously isolated area.

We live in a relatively rural area, but the one time we needed an ambulance we called 1669, told them it wasn't an emergency but we needed an ambulance when convenient, and two minutes later the local hospital called back. We repeated that it wasn't an emergency and gave them the details and ten minutes later the ambulance was at the gate.

A couple of years ago there was a bad coach crash when a coach went off the road a couple of hundred metres up the hill from us.

Within ten minutes police and rescue were on the scene, and within 45 minutes all 40 casualties hadn't just been taken away but they were all in hospitals, except the four dead who weren't in a hurry.

The ambulances may not be gold plated, but given the choice between a 15 minute wait for a Thai ambulance or a 15 hour wait for something flashy I'm happy with 15 minutes.

31 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

I simply do not have to just for financial reasons. Thailand just not offer me or my family any close to as nice as we already have it.

I'm happy for you, but for some of us it's what we want, and "financial reasons" aren't a consideration  -  it's simply where we want to be.

I genuinely can't understand why some people find that so hard to accept.

What is he asking the ambassador. Give me all your money and send all your rich people to transfer all their money to a Thaibank where I can take it any time with a new law...🤡🤡🤡🥳🥳🤑🤑🤑

• Like 2