News Forum - Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa

Thaiger

13 hours ago, TukTuk said:

My theory, and it maybe half-cocked and lessons learned from the Vietnam War, is that the US see's Thailand as a strategic, friendly location to stage the military in the event of an uprising in the future with China or anyone else in South East Asia.

Not so much "half-cocked" as decades out of date.

13 hours ago, TukTuk said:

That entitlement should go both ways however that is never going to happen in Thailand.

Why that particular entitlement?

Why not all other entitlements, such as ease of visas and retirement, or are you only interested in things going both ways where it suits you?

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

But I want my country to reciprocate those rules for Thais in the U.K

Why "those rules" but not the many others where Thailand outshines the UK, such as with visas and retirement?

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

Right now, we are allowing them to have their cake and eat it.

No, Thailand and the UK simply have different cakes, but you want to keep yours while sharing Thailand's.

3 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Not true at all.

It's absolutely spot on and easily verified, but it simply doesn't suit your view.

Most expats that moved to Thailand could NOT afford the best land in Thailand

"Most" is far from all  -  "most" here clearly don't mind not owning land as it's a balance with land ownership as only one of many factors, and if "most" minded that much they wouldn't be here.

Foreigners put up the price of land enormously in Thailand, all too often putting it out of the reach of Thais.  When I sold my last house, some way outside Pattaya, I got double what I'd paid for it after seven years because Pattaya was expanding to house the foreigners so the value of land went up.

Locals can't afford it, so it's being bought up by foreigners and people from Bangkok.

Even locally here in Issan in my immediate area, the price of farm land with main road frontage has gone up by five times because that's what we paid so it's now on a par with land in the village.

Any foreigner with enough money to buy choice land, wouldn't have a reason to ever be in Thailand

That's your view, based on the idea that nobody that can afford to live elsewhere would choose to live here - not everyone shares your views or wants to live where you do.

Or the fact Thailand needs submarines and 30 year old ones at that

Actually they're new / not yet built rather than "30 year old ones", and the plans have been shelved - but it sounds good when you throw it into a debate, particularly when you dress it up as a "fact" when it's not.

7 hours ago, TukTuk said:

You ever wonder why Thai billionaires want to be in politics or how rich ALL the politicians are? Thailand will never change because the system makes the rich, richer and more powerful.

Why do you think Thailand never evolves or invests anything in education?

Do you think the politicians want an educated populace? I don't.

With an uneducated population they can rule the roost and put as much corruption money in their pockets as possible and not be questioned, or get a way with a half cocked answer like shooting water guns in the air will cure air pollution. The water guns made someone $5 million.

Or the fact Thailand needs submarines and 30 year old ones at that. 

An educated populace would see right through that one.

Money buys power in Thailand. Those in power make the rules that benefit themselves not the country.

It hasn't changed in 37 years since I first set foot in Thailand.

I totally agree. Couldn’t have said it better myself. The rich have a steady stream of cheap, compliant labour. The basics of the culture and how it operates hasn’t changed in hundreds of years. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I totally agree. Couldn’t have said it better myself. The rich have a steady stream of cheap, compliant labour. The basics of the culture and how it operates hasn’t changed in hundreds of years. 

That's very true and we all know exactly why this nonsense is perpetuated as outlined by TukTuk, except he was being subtle by mentioning it hasn't changed in the 37 years he has been here whereas your time frame was nearer the mark

23 minutes ago, gummy said:

That's very true and we all know exactly why this nonsense is perpetuated as outlined by TukTuk, except he was being subtle by mentioning it hasn't changed in the 37 years he has been here whereas your time frame was nearer the mark

It took me a while to understand why most Thais appear not to let the system bother them. It’s a mistake to think they are all happy smiley people who just take on the Mai Pen Rai attitude to life by choice. The reality is, that if you don’t adopt that attitude growing up in Thailand, it would drive you insane. Can you imagine if day after day you tried to take on the frustrations of getting things changed and with no option to book a flight out? Most Thais know nothing will change and so why get up tight about it. It’s like getting upset with the weather if you live in England. You learn to accept it, make jokes about it and get on with life. 

Many foreigners who move to Thailand go through various stages of the “culture shock” process - Honeymoon, Frustration, Adjustment and Acceptance. Many make it to the Adjustment phase and some all the way to Acceptance. I think the Thais being born in Thailand jump quickly to Acceptance. As a foreigner having to apply for visas, 90 day reporting, sitting around at hospitals with no appointment system etc, you get pulled back and reminded of the Frustration phase. 

Right, well I’m off to Staples to get 5 reams of paper and 2 new ink cartridges for my printer in preparation for my visa and TP application. Mai Pen Rai  🙃

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2021 at 4:21 AM, Soidog said:

I wouldn’t say that’s my experience to be fair. I find most Americans have no problem with the British and I’ve also found most Scandinavian countries along with the Dutch and Poles also seem to get along with us ok. I can understand the French and the Spaniards not liking us much and the Argentinians certainly don’t like us. I feel sorry, especially for the Spanish when we totally invade their Costas in the summer. My overall experience of other nations is that we all basically want to be allowed to live our life and raise a family and just get on with things. I try not to generalise too much, even when I poke fun at the Russians, you can’t really generalise. 

Most Americans couldn't care less  for the British . That's why we celebrate July 4th. I shouldn't generlize but mostly the British are viewed as stuffed shirts

10 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Most Americans couldn't care less  for the British . That's why we celebrate July 4th. I shouldn't generlize but mostly the British are viewed as stuffed shirts

Totally agree. Not wishing to be picky but It’s “generalise” no Z. Ta. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I shouldn't generlize but mostly the British are viewed as stuffed shirts

Correct, you should not generalise, nor cast aspersions on others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

mostly the British are viewed as stuffed shirts

Well give us our language back then, if we are as you say, before you completely ruin it.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Well give us our language back then, if we are as you say, before you completely ruin it.

I thought there were already two separate dialects.  That why computers ask if you want US English of UK English.  However, US English seems to be preferred worldwide.  The Australian dialect is also different.

49 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Correct, you should not generalise, nor cast aspersions on others.

If you go to the US, this is a common view. Nothing overtly intended.

3 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I thought there were already two separate dialects.  That why computers ask if you want US English of UK English.  However, US English seems to be preferred worldwide.  The Australian dialect is also different.

Nothing to do with Windows being written in America? Are you actually going to deny that the British were fully functional while you lot were killing all the buffalo off while dressed in loin cloths?

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

It took me a while to understand why most Thais appear not to let the system bother them. It’s a mistake to think they are all happy smiley people who just take on the Mai Pen Rai attitude to life by choice. The reality is, that if you don’t adopt that attitude growing up in Thailand, it would drive you insane. Can you imagine if day after day you tried to take on the frustrations of getting things changed and with no option to book a flight out? Most Thais know nothing will change and so why get up tight about it. It’s like getting upset with the weather if you live in England. You learn to accept it, make jokes about it and get on with life. 

Many foreigners who move to Thailand go through various stages of the “culture shock” process - Honeymoon, Frustration, Adjustment and Acceptance. Many make it to the Adjustment phase and some all the way to Acceptance. I think the Thais being born in Thailand jump quickly to Acceptance. As a foreigner having to apply for visas, 90 day reporting, sitting around at hospitals with no appointment system etc, you get pulled back and reminded of the Frustration phase. 

Right, well I’m off to Staples to get 5 reams of paper and 2 new ink cartridges for my printer in preparation for my visa and TP application. Mai Pen Rai  🙃

Wow, 5 reams of paper is a lot. Are you bringing the whole country?

11 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Nothing to do with Windows being written in America? Are you actually going to deny that the British were fully functional while you lot were killing all the buffalo off while dressed in loin cloths?

Yes, Microsoft and Apple are American as is Apple pie.

You shouldn't have a beer belly if you are dressed in a loin cloth, I've been told.

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Yes, Microsoft and Apple are American as is Apple pie.

You shouldn't have a beer belly if you are dressed in a loin cloth, I've been told.

Historical fact for good order.

Apple Pie Originated in England
The first written apple pie recipe goes back to 1381 in b) England. It was printed by Geoffrey Chaucer and included apples, figs, raisins, pears and a pastry shell (but no sugar).May 11, 2562 BE

4 minutes ago, gummy said:

The first written apple pie recipe goes back to 1381 in b) England. It was printed by Geoffrey Chaucer and included apples, figs, raisins, pears and a pastry shell (but no sugar).May 11, 2562 BE

How about porky pies? 🤔🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

Gummy...you got anymore anti Troll spray?

20 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Are you actually going to deny that the British were fully functional while you lot were killing all the buffalo off while dressed in loin cloths?

Well, the Chinese and the Egyptians were both fully functional while the Brits were dressed in blue paint ...

... just a passing thought ... 

10 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Not true at all.

Most expats that moved to Thailand could NOT afford the best land in Thailand.

Thais priced out? Come on man. That is as far from the truth as you can get.

How many farangs married to Thai's own the best swath's of land? ZERO!

Now if you talk foreign developers maybe but unlikely.

The majority of choice lands in Thailand is owed the HRM.

Any foreigner with enough money to buy choice land, wouldn't have a reason to ever be in Thailand.

All of that is so absurd it would be hard to know where to start !

So you're saying the average Thai has the same wealth as the average westerner ? Really ?

How many thais do you know own a decent villa in comparison to westerners ? 1% ? 5% ?

If most developers aren't foreign (You know China is 'foreign' right ? that the swathes of land bought with Russian laundered money is foreign right ?) who are they ?

As for your last line - just baffling !

Presumably you don't live in Thailand ?

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Totally agree. Not wishing to be picky but It’s “generalise” no Z. Ta. 

See just a stuff shirt type, but you are correct.

24 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

How about porky pies? 🤔🤣

Another historical fact

The first recorded proto–pork pie recipe appears in the medieval manuscript known as The Forme of Cury, attributed to the royal cooks of the court of Richard II and first published around 1390

10 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

If Thais are so poor why are they buying property overseas? Sure most Thais are not wealthy but its not as if we Westerners are all filthy rich either. If 1% of the US population owns over 80% of the nations assets, then how can your common citizen buy land in Thailand? With regard to the average wage sure the West has an advantage but in both cases it is the affluent that gets the low hanging fruit. In this regard both suffer.

Or do you believe that the Junta's vision of the low life Falang is true to form?

jesus is this a wind up ? So you don't live in Thailand either ?

How many of these thais are buying property overseas out of the 70 million population - give us a percentage.

I also didn't say all westerners are filthy rich but dropping 5-15 million on a house in Thailand is within the reach of the vast majority of westerners that ever had a job. How many thais can do that ?

No idea what the last line means so will have to pass on that