News Forum - Thai airports soar in Skytrax rankings: Suvarnabhumi leaps to 58th

Thaiger

The global airport ranking agency, Skytrax, recently unveiled its 2024 report on the World’s Best Airports. A notable mention in this year’s list is Thailand’s very own Suvarnabhumi International Airport, which has impressively climbed up ten places from the previous year to secure the 58th spot. The rise in the ranking can be attributed to … …

The story Thai airports soar in Skytrax rankings: Suvarnabhumi leaps to 58th as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I like BKK, always have, ever since it opened.  I had the privilege of flying my airline's first B777 flight into the new BKK, so much easier in terms of airspace utilization and positioning  than DMK. Thais did a good job with it, and why, because for once, they utilized Western experts and designer's to get it right.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I like BKK, always have, ever since it opened.  I had the privilege of flying my airline's first B777 flight into the new BKK, so much easier in terms of airspace utilization and positioning  than DMK. Thais did a good job with it, and why, because for once, they utilized Western experts and designer's to get it right.   

I think it is horrendous 

One of the worst airports in the world, IMO

It's a Duty Free mall that they decided to put in gates at the end

The gates are such a long walk from check-in

The food/restaurant offerings are servely limited 

And if you decide you want to eat at one of the limited restaurants they have, they dedicated such limited space to dining that tables are on top of each other...

The AC barely works near the gates.....

Oh and I just paid about 1k baht to make sure I am not waiting 2 hours in Immigration lines

I think the refurbished DMK is much better

Hell I think the old DMK 20 years  ago was much more efficient!

• Confused 1

BKK is an excellent airport.    The new satellite terminal is wonderful; bright, roomy, airy. All of the negatives associated with the main terminal are avoided. In response to criticism;

-Duty Free format is no different than NRT, TPE or HKG.

-Gate location is similar to other large airports.  Some airlines are further away from the terminal. Thai Airways is just a few minutes walk. Satellite terminal makes access even easier.

- Satellite terminal has many restaurants, Main terminal centralized restaurants to minimize fire hazard and to control cooking smells and temperature impact.

- AC is fine for Asians who do not like refrigeration temperatures. 23C in a locale that often hits 40C is fine. I am comfortable.

- My last arrival: From gate to immigration, was 15 minutes, 5 minutes at immigration, 15 minutes at baggage carousel. When I left at Songkran, 15 minutes to clear security and immigration. I am in USA now. The lineup for immigration and customs in Miami  is 1 hour+, LHR is often 1 hr+. Same for LAX.

Arriving in Bangkok is a joyful experience for me. I can't wait to come  back in a few weeks. I am traveling in deep south USA and I find it chilly and airports less loving than BKK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vigo said:

BKK is an excellent airport.    The new satellite terminal is wonderful; bright, roomy, airy. All of the negatives associated with the main terminal are avoided. In response to criticism;

-Duty Free format is no different than NRT, TPE or HKG.

-Gate location is similar to other large airports.  Some airlines are further away from the terminal. Thai Airways is just a few minutes walk. Satellite terminal makes access even easier.

- Satellite terminal has many restaurants, Main terminal centralized restaurants to minimize fire hazard and to control cooking smells and temperature impact.

- AC is fine for Asians who do not like refrigeration temperatures. 23C in a locale that often hits 40C is fine. I am comfortable.

- My last arrival: From gate to immigration, was 15 minutes, 5 minutes at immigration, 15 minutes at baggage carousel. When I left at Songkran, 15 minutes to clear security and immigration. I am in USA now. The lineup for immigration and customs in Miami  is 1 hour+, LHR is often 1 hr+. Same for LAX.

Arriving in Bangkok is a joyful experience for me. I can't wait to come  back in a few weeks. I am traveling in deep south USA and I find it chilly and airports less loving than BKK.

I don't like it very cold either 

But the temperature at the gates are often more than just comfortable 

And most of your highlights of the new terminal seem to be fixing the issues I highlighted 

As for atmosphere of the airport 

I will agree, and it goes for domestic travel in all of Thailand, is an absolute pleasure, especially compared to North America....

I never am bothered when I have a travel day in Thailand 

And I will be landing in BKK in about 21 hours. 😀

^ To go to show how much I don't mind "travel days" in Thailand

On May 10th I wake up in Railay Beach

I will have to arrange a private long tail boat because it will be 6:30am

I am flying to BKK and have 1 hour to catch a flight, on a different airline, to Trat

And I am not the least bit worried

Even if I miss my flight can either take the later one or hop in a taxi for a reasonable price

I wouldn't even attempt that in North America 

• Like 1

^ To go to show how much I don't mind "travel days" in Thailand

On May 10th I wake up in Railay Beach

I will have to arrange a private long tail boat because it will be 6:30am

I am flying to BKK and have 1 hour to catch a flight, on a different airline, to Trat

And I am not the least bit worried

Even if I miss my flight can either take the later one or hop in a taxi for a reasonable price

I wouldn't even attempt that in North America 

I landed in BKK yesterday 

And I did land in the new terminal 

So had to take the train to the main terminal 

Now I don't know if this is planned but Immigration is right there when you get off the train

Well about a 2min walk

So that cut down on that big walk from when you land(although I didn't mind the walk after a long flight)

I did the VIP Immigration which took less than 1 min

But after I spent about 15mins getting a Sim card I came back and all the passengers from my flight were already at baggage claim

So Immigration was not an issue yesterday 

I took the Airport link yesterday for the 1st time

It was morning rush hour so quite jammed 

But it was very pleasant 

And would choose that over a taxi anytime 

Well unless I am with my Kunnai wife 5555

I flew home from BKK via SIN.   After getting home to IAD, my though thought was.  This airport is ghetto.  

58th in airport rankings really isn't much to shout about, to be honest.

I've never minded BKK, though the walks can be long, they are the same in most major airports these days.

It was always refreshing coming home after a bout in the desert of the Middle East but I've never been a big fan of the dining or refreshment establishments. For an international airport they are kind of cheesy.

1 hour ago, TedG said:

I flew home from BKK via SIN.   After getting home to IAD, my though thought was.  This airport is ghetto.  

Compared  to Changi, most airports are ghettos. On one occasion they managed to get me and my bags onto a flight with a 90 minute connection time even though my flight arrived over an hour  late, Suvarnabhumi is not too bad if you travelling premium class and can use the lounges and fast track immigration, but even then it is way too much of a long haul through the "duty free shopping opportunities". 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Compared  to Changi, most airports are ghettos. On one occasion they managed to get me and my bags onto a flight with a 90 minute connection time even though my flight arrived over an hour  late, Suvarnabhumi is not too bad if you travelling premium class and can use the lounges and fast track immigration, but even then it is way too much of a long haul through the "duty free shopping opportunities". 

I have no issues with Suvarnabhumi, I find it very efficient.   Plus, I get lounge access.