News Forum - Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa

Thaiger

Deputy PM Supattanapong Punmeechaow says the government is anxious to promote new measures for attracting wealthy foreigners to Thailand. He says he will be arranging meetings with every foreign ambassador in order to promote a new long-stay visa programme aimed at highly-skilled professionals and wealthy investors. It’s hoped the new visa will help revive Thailand’s economy post-pandemic. Under the new scheme, qualifying foreigners can get a 10-year visa, which also covers their spouse and children. The visa entitles the holder to a work permit, tax exemption on overseas earnings, and the right to own property and land. They would also […]

The story Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

You begin to read this scenario and you already know what is going to be trotted out. There are lots more critical things in Thailand right now. This seems like a another diversion from the real and pressing issues that ace Thailand and so many other countries in the world. It's an indulgence, that the people can't afford right now.  

• Like 2

I dont think this scheme is aimed at westerners.

The Chinese will lap it up though.

20 years from now entire areas and towns will be Chinese only. 

• Like 6
  • Cool 1

The nomad visa seems to be the most useful post-Covid. Will be interesting to see what is finally approved. Not sure the super rich really need a work visa as an attractive option, but owing land will attract many that are not likely going to need the visa, just need easy ownership rights. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Spot on comment👍🏻  This is exactly what they are looking for. Like any scheme there will be some takers and no doubt it will all be talked up as a big success. The real winners here will be the Chinese. 

• Like 6
  • Cool 1

Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa.

The brains of these people are simply unbelievable. 

Meetings with foreign Ambassadors to discuss how Thailand can lure wealthy people from other countries.

Do they not think other countries want to keep their own wealthy successful citizens. 

Just a thought...

• Like 9

When they mean "wealthy"...what exactly do they mean by that?

If they want "only" wealthy dirty falang then does it not make sense that these people are already comfortably living in their own nations.

Maybe nations that have given citizenship, the right to own land and numerous benefits to Thai's should revoke those citizenship's quoting the Thai governments actions as a role model.

Just a thought!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

If they only advertise for wealthy foreigners, they really underestimate how many tourists will not come because they feel like: Oh, I'm actually not really wealthy. Better find another place then.

I don't know the numbers, but I guess this is the biggest part of the tourists coming here. They are not wealthy. Just doing well, but not wealthy or something. 

I thought they needed money. 1000 THB from me looks the same as 1000 THB from a rich person. They are going to lose a loooot of money here. Unless those wealthy foreigners will spend the same amount that they are missing from missing the other tourists, of course. 

Even then it'll be a lot of money they miss. Imagine the money from all the stuff which has a fixed price. Everyone pays the same, so the more, the better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

Like, they are not even trying to hide their greed. If I was a wealthy foreigner, and read this stuff, I'd say nope! 

Thailand already has plenty of less wealthy types, who complain about the visa financial requirements. It seems they now want those on the othervend of the spectrum. It's their country and their rules. 

10 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Maybe nations that have given citizenship, the right to own land and numerous benefits to Thai's should revoke those citizenship's quoting the Thai governments actions as a role model.

Oh mate, don’t even get me started on this, if by some miracle I could have control over this, the first thing I would do is get a list of all countries and simply ask these questions:

Can U.K. citizens get a job there and are there any restrictions?

Can they own a business outright?

Can they own their own house and land?

What are the immigration rules for simply visiting the country ?

I would then look to implement reciprocal arrangements for them in the U.K.  

Drives me crazy to see rich Thais buying up a business like Leicester City Football club and the Shinawatra clan buying houses and property in the U.K.  No problem with any of the above in the U.K. as long as the same goes for me in their country. If my government put a brake on rich Thais doing those things here, then maybe, just maybe they could influence their government to ease the rules in Thailand. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Oh mate, don’t even get me started on this, if by some miracle I could have control over this, the first thing I would do is get a list of all countries and simply ask these questions:

Can U.K. citizens get a job there and are there any restrictions?

Can they own a business outright?

Can they own their own house and land?

What are the immigration rules for simply visiting the country ?

I would then look to implement reciprocal arrangements for them in the U.K.  

Drives me crazy to see rich Thais buying up a business like Leicester City Football club and the Shinawatra clan buying houses and property in the U.K.  No problem with any of the above in the U.K. as long as the same goes for me in their country. If my government put a brake on rich Thais doing those things here, then maybe, just maybe they could influence their government to ease the rules in Thailand. 

But in truth the UK have been the worlds best money launderers so its that business that interests them, not the fair well being of their own nationals.

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Deputy PM Supattanapong Punmeechaow says the government is anxious to promote new measures for attracting wealthy foreigners to Thailand. He says he will be arranging meetings with every foreign ambassador in order to promote a new long-stay visa programme aimed at highly-skilled professionals and wealthy investors. It’s hoped the new visa will help revive Thailand’s economy post-pandemic. Under the new scheme, qualifying foreigners can get a 10-year visa, which also covers their spouse and children. The visa entitles the holder to a work permit, tax exemption on overseas earnings, and the right to own property and land. They would also […]

The story Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

And I quote "tell him his dreaming"

• Like 2

Just now, gummy said:

But in truth the UK have been the worlds best money launderers so its that business that interests them, not the fair well being of their own nationals.

🤫🤫. Not supposed to mention that. You’ve now just blown the cover of the Thai plan. It’s not about houses and digital nomads. It’s about how much cash can we clean for you now the lid has been blown off Panama 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

They have to talking about for normal residents retired make a 5 year visa. 

So they can keep alot of work and burocrazy and money, and more normal farangs will be come. 

And forget the 90 days Report, that is a joke, online even never works, try 10 times only one time it works. 

Rich people can go anywere and have not to work in a country who the politic is not stabile and with this corruption

• Like 4

and again an idea without worrying about the consequences, as always in thailand. maybe a few thousand people are interested in this visa and most of them will come from shady backgrounds and launder their black money. Better to end the bureaucratic madness and finally issue residence permits according to western standards. Foreigners legally married to Thai citizens have to extend their visa every year with an insane procedure and every 90 days to report to the immigration authorities that they are still there - madness. When you finally get a resident visa you have to apply for a return visa to travel abroad, what nonsense is that. The bureaucracy burns billions of Thai Baht every year because of inevitability and poorly trained staff who have no competence and the system these people have to work with is from the last century.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Thailand already has plenty of less wealthy types, who complain about the visa financial requirements. It seems they now want those on the othervend of the spectrum. It's their country and their rules. 

Their country, their rules ofc. But I'm just saying, it won't work out well. + if there's one group that made Thailand famous, it's the backpackers and less wealthy people. That's why it's such a famous destination for those groups. They shouldn't throw those people under the bus. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Griff1315 said:

Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa.

The brains of these people are simply unbelievable. 

Meetings with foreign Ambassadors to discuss how Thailand can lure wealthy people from other countries.

Do they not think other countries want to keep their own wealthy successful citizens. 

Just a thought...

And for sure they prefer Monacco, Singapore etc etc. Wealthy people are tax free in Monacco and high end standard infrastructure, no crime and corruption, proper sidewalks and no alcohol ban or other weird laws. Why should change compared to these destinationations standards, laws, tax, high end restaurants etc etc. 

Why should be a high skilled not prefer Singapore to earn much more and in a proper infrastructure and so on

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Before yes but with the new regulations they blocked the Chinese to bring out money or investing abroad. But before it was not Thailand mostly in western countries like Canada, USA and Europe. In Vancouver they even put extra 20% to invest or buy for the Chinese buyers because the prices were exploding and they tried to stop it. But this is stopped now by the chinese government who worried that their citizens all want to bring out their money from China. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Andreas said:

The nomad visa seems to be the most useful post-Covid. Will be interesting to see what is finally approved. Not sure the super rich really need a work visa as an attractive option, but owing land will attract many that are not likely going to need the visa, just need easy ownership rights. 

Hi, @Andreasand welcome to TT! There are so many issues, both tourism and work-related, that are impossible to be sure about, with so many govt ideas being thrown-up by the day. Just sad that they nearly all display barefaced monetary greed . . . certainly not a space for the super-rich.

50 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Their country, their rules ofc. But I'm just saying, it won't work out well. + if there's one group that made Thailand famous, it's the backpackers and less wealthy people. That's why it's such a famous destination for those groups. They shouldn't throw those people under the bus. 

They didn't make the country famous, IMO.  They're more the takers who feel entitled because they come from places that have been better off. They feel they can do as they please and corrupt Thai  values of generosity and caring for the less fortunate. Everyone visiting is responsible to pay their share plus leave with giving more than they took. 

One of the reasons why there is so much concern about visitor healthcare is as a group these visitors are underfunded. Rarely if ever do long term foreigners run out on hospital bills, mostly underfunded crowd. 

2 hours ago, gion said:

most of them will come from shady backgrounds and launder their black money. 

And they'll feel right at home with the Thais from shady backgrounds laundering money. 

(Ooops they are the Govt.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

They didn't make the country famous, IMO.  They're more the takers who feel entitled because they come from places that have been better off. They feel they can do as they please and corrupt Thai  values of generosity and caring for the less fortunate. Everyone visiting is responsible to pay their share plus leave with giving more than they took. 

One of the reasons why there is so much concern about visitor healthcare is as a group these visitors are underfunded. Rarely if ever do long term foreigners run out on hospital bills, mostly underfunded crowd. 

And how many are motorbike accidents that the Thai (people) businesses rented to a foreigner that did not know how to ride, have a license or they did not carry insurance for their bikes rented? I can almost understand having no license, but one needs to know how to ride. Please stop putting all the blame on foreigners and even the ones who like to have some fun with no holds bar.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

First of all it is the country of the Thai people and he is not elected by the Thai people. Second it is about the younger generatiins future. Third he doesn't realise that many on the forum have children or a Thai family abd children and they have a Thaipassport or 2 passports and one is Thai. And the ones whos children are older one older finished his study kr want to study he is not aware what the young generation and also older Thais would think of such an absurd comment. They all worried about Thailands and their future and nobody would agree it is the country of the current unelected PM. But I guess he even doesn't kniw that this PM is not elected by the Thai people.

• Like 1