News Forum - Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa

Thaiger

32 minutes ago, Stardust said:

What is he asking the ambassador. Give me all your money and send all your rich people to transfer all their money to a Thaibank where I can take it any time with a new law...🤡🤡🤡🥳🥳🤑🤑🤑

The ambassadors will all be looking at him, like, "You must be dabbing the wrong part of the plant."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Benroon said:

Yeah I've heard about the confiscations, especially where hills and mountains are concerned - the most extreme case I've heard was a very rich guy from Prachin Buri (seriously rich so you would think has all the influence he needs) built a string of upmarket villas (around 15,000 baht PER night) - and almost completed, had them all taken because it was claimed he had encroached on about 3 feet of the foot of the mountains. They are still sat there, abandoned.

Mind you it doesn't seem to apply to Phuket as the mountains are littered with houses a long way up!

Ah, but the story is that in Phuket you can't build higher than a palm tree. Unfortuately, there are some palm trees on top of the highest mountains in Phuket. So check some buildings in Patong.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Does selling time shares to foreign visitors qualify. Just a thought. I’m not interested in buying or selling, because it’s mostly a rip off. I’m retired am set pretty well financially.

Is that what you did before or since you moved to Thailand ? Good if you have the finances sorted and can enjoy retirement 

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

If the political situation was more stable then I would have also consider that as an option. Over the past 6 years my thoughts of investing more time in Thailand have diminished somewhat. I’m not yet at retirement age, though as the years pass, my thoughts for a warmer climate and chilled out life are tending more towards Southern Europe. I love Thailand and the Thai people. I just don’t feel so comfortable as I did there compared to some years ago. Maybe I will mellow in years to come 😂😂

That's a shame SD - I still feel the love of the thai people and the lifestyle, plus where I am I am lucky enough to almost pick my own beach. Southern Europe is a fantastic place for sure - if Thailand wasn't for me then southern France would suit me just fine - great weather, best food on the planet and despite what you read in the UK press, lovely people. 

For now I can't see behind Thailand but maybe we'll be St Tropez neighbours before you know it ! 😁

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

A previous provincial governor has a small but nice  holiday house a bit further up and he built his front wall too near the road. 

When they were widening and re-surfacing the road a few years ago they just drove the grader straight over the wall and left him to clear the rubble!

Ouch ! but doesn't surprise me

There is a popular Soi near me, mixture of businesses, restaurants, bars, ALL encroached a little bit to the front (about 2-3 metres) - plans were then put in place to widen the road and all of them were given 12 weeks notice to reign it in to what their land registry actually said - we are talking about concrete structures in some  places and some of the restaurants would be reduced from 30+ seating to 10 ! 

It was merciless - but they all thought it would never happen to them.

Typical Thai thinking, if you don't succeed the first time, double the price! 🤣 Especially for farangs! If an already strict visa scheme among similar countries does not work (especially when taking into account what local companies could pay as salaries), just make it even more strict!

33 minutes ago, Benroon said:

That's a shame SD - I still feel the love of the thai people and the lifestyle, plus where I am I am lucky enough to almost pick my own beach. Southern Europe is a fantastic place for sure - if Thailand wasn't for me then southern France would suit me just fine - great weather, best food on the planet and despite what you read in the UK press, lovely people. 

For now I can't see behind Thailand but maybe we'll be St Tropez neighbours before you know it ! 😁

The French people are indeed very friendly, though I find that with most people to be fair (perhaps with the exception of the Russian!). I have worked with French engineers on several occasions and all were very friendly and engaging people (bloody good engineers also). The surprise to me was just how kind and nice the German people are also. I think being an islander in the U.K. we grow up with some stereotypical views of our European neighbours. In all cases I have found them to be outdated and incorrect. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

I don't know what your experience of the Thai ambulance / rescue services is, but that's simply not correct unless you live in a seriously isolated area.

We live in a relatively rural area, but the one time we needed an ambulance we called 1669, told them it wasn't an emergency but we needed an ambulance when convenient, and two minutes later the local hospital called back. We repeated that it wasn't an emergency and gave them the details and ten minutes later the ambulance was at the gate.

A couple of years ago there was a bad coach crash when a coach went off the road a couple of hundred metres up the hill from us.

Within ten minutes police and rescue were on the scene, and within 45 minutes all 40 casualties hadn't just been taken away but they were all in hospitals, except the four dead who weren't in a hurry.

The ambulances may not be gold plated, but given the choice between a 15 minute wait for a Thai ambulance or a 15 hour wait for something flashy I'm happy with 15 minutes.

I'm happy for you, but for some of us it's what we want, and "financial reasons" aren't a consideration  -  it's simply where we want to be.

I genuinely can't understand why some people find that so hard to accept.

60+KM to nearest hospital, see the photos in the last post.

If it is what you want, did you grow up wanting that or what exactly forced your decision to pick Thailand and not some other country.

Tell the truth!

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

The French people are indeed very friendly, though I find that with most people to be fair (perhaps with the exception of the Russian!). I have worked with French engineers on several occasions and all were very friendly and engaging people (bloody good engineers also). The surprise to me was just how kind and nice the German people are also. I think being an islander in the U.K. we grow up with some stereotypical views of our European neighbours. In all cases I have found them to be outdated and incorrect. 

Absolutely - the brits, of which I am one, have always had a massive opinion of ourselves, which is why in my travels of maybe 50+ countries we are by a mile the most disliked nation on earth !!

Brexit really helped that !! 😁

17 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Absolutely - the brits, of which I am one, have always had a massive opinion of ourselves, which is why in my travels of maybe 50+ countries we are by a mile the most disliked nation on earth !!

I wouldn’t say that’s my experience to be fair. I find most Americans have no problem with the British and I’ve also found most Scandinavian countries along with the Dutch and Poles also seem to get along with us ok. I can understand the French and the Spaniards not liking us much and the Argentinians certainly don’t like us. I feel sorry, especially for the Spanish when we totally invade their Costas in the summer. My overall experience of other nations is that we all basically want to be allowed to live our life and raise a family and just get on with things. I try not to generalise too much, even when I poke fun at the Russians, you can’t really generalise. 

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I wouldn’t say that’s my experience to be fair. I find most Americans have no problem with the British and I’ve also found most Scandinavian countries along with the Dutch and Poles also seem to get along with us ok. I can understand the French and the Spaniards not liking us much and the Argentinians certainly don’t like us. I feel sorry, especially for the Spanish when we totally invade their Costas in the summer. My overall experience of other nations is that we all basically want to be allowed to live our life and raise a family and just get on with things. I try not to generalise too much, even when I poke fun at the Russians, you can’t really generalise. 

But americans are probably competing with us as most disliked so not really an endorsement - I mean there is nothing worse than being trapped in a quiet restaurant with an american at another table ! Why so loud ? 😁

It's fair to say Europeans think we're up our own arses so that's about 27 countries ticked ? Australians hate us with a passion but that's probably an inferiority thing 😉 for such a tiny nation I don't think we're too high up on the popularity stakes, probably due to our desire to stick our noses in where it's not required.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Maybe you should approach your government representative to make things equal.  Maybe reducing foreign rights in the UK would make sense but the UK probably wants the cash. Change can go both ways but I think you are only blowing in the wind.

To try and equalise it that way is just a race to the bottom.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

But americans are probably competing with us as most disliked

They are winning hands down currently given their interreference in so many countries politics over the last 50 years and/or if diplomacy did and military action didn't work then they just walked out and left behind huge problems for those respective nations.

However after saying that Thailand still looks towards them as their shining light. primarily I suspect because they have adopted a  similar fundamental philosophy that money is the primary aim in life and should be obtained by any means possible. Even with this deputy PM supposedly meeting the ambassadors of foreign countries it has nothing to do with allowing foreign citizens an easier route to stay long term in Thailand, just a further example of the current Thai administration's lust for abstracting money from foreigners anyway possible.

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Ouch ! but doesn't surprise me

There is a popular Soi near me, mixture of businesses, restaurants, bars, ALL encroached a little bit to the front (about 2-3 metres) - plans were then put in place to widen the road and all of them were given 12 weeks notice to reign it in to what their land registry actually said - we are talking about concrete structures in some  places and some of the restaurants would be reduced from 30+ seating to 10 ! 

It was merciless - but they all thought it would never happen to them.

Yes it should be done in all places. But it is historic here, simply encroaching on space beyond their legal entitlement is simply taking something that is not theirs. It is unfortunately become the accepted thing. Nothing different to what all Thai administrations have done over the ages, stealing money from the nation and putting it in their own pockets and the higher they are in the pecking order the higher their ill-gotten rewards.

5 hours ago, Benroon said:

Typically British delusions of grandeur and living in the past - we may like to think we're best at everything, but we can't even manage "most disliked nation on earth" any more as the USA is now so far ahead world-wide, in every region, that there's not even any possibility of any competition. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TukTuk said:

60+KM to nearest hospital, see the photos in the last post.

What you wrote, as a criticism of Thailand in general and a reason not to live here, was:

"There is simply no way to call 911 and get rushed to the hospital in a few minutes".

To be blunt, as you're a seasoned poster here, it's not only totally untrue, but in terms of reasons to live elsewhere it has to be about the most absurd I've seen here.

With the exception of places like Monaco or the Holy Roman See you could find somewhere in just about any country where you were "60+km to nearest hospital" if you wanted to (and some a lot further than that - try Aus), but for 90% of Thailand - probably closer to 99% - hospitals with ambulances and 24 hour A & E's are seldom more than a few minutes away with 'rescue' services that, at least in terms of response time which is what you're taking issue about, put most Western countries firmly in the shade.

7 hours ago, TukTuk said:

If it is what you want, did you grow up wanting that or what exactly forced your decision to pick Thailand and not some other country.

Nothing "forced" my decision to pick anywhere, and while I can't see the relevance I didn't really "grow up" wanting to live anywhere in particular as I just enjoyed a rather pleasant if not unusually fortunate childhood - living in Hampstead, playing on the Heath and around Kenwood, a good school, winter at St Moritz, summers in Cheltenham or at St Jean, etc.

I then spent a couple of decades going to exotic foreign lands around the world and meeting exciting unusual people, before retiring in my late 30's.

I knew virtually nobody in the UK apart from those I'd met working, mainly abroad - 'ships that pass in the night' - so as I had dual nationality and few ties I could settle anywhere. 

I chose Thailand as I'd already been here on holiday several times, I was working between Hong Kong and Cambodia so I had plenty of opportunity to check things out, and I didn't know anywhere I preferred although I'd seen plenty.

After nearly thirty years here there's still nowhere I'd prefer to be, nothing I'd prefer to be doing and no-one I'd prefer to be with.

Pretty straightforward.

When we bought the 27 rai in Isaan, I was a heck of lot younger than I am now. 

Medical wasn't an issue then and being near a hospital never came into the equation.

Do I want to live in Thailand in my old age bad enough to buy another place near a hospital? No Thanks.

I don't want to live in Thailand at all. Financially I do not have to. I didn't trap myself there.

Tallyho. AM flight to Aruba! 2 hour flight from Miami. 

gd6.png

riu.png

On 11/5/2021 at 10:07 AM, Soidog said:

Why am I entitled? I simply want parity with what I’m allowed to do in Thailand? Why should a Thai Citizen get to own land and houses and commercial properties along with 100% ownership of businesses in the U.K., when I’m not able to do that in Thailand as a U.K. citizen? I’m not asking for anything more then equality so how am I entitled? 

I agree with you 100%.

My theory, and it maybe half-cocked and lessons learned from the Vietnam War, is that the US see's Thailand as a strategic, friendly location to stage the military in the event of an uprising in the future with China or anyone else in South East Asia.

So while Thai people can come to the US and buy up anything they want, it is not the same for US citizens in Thailand.

The entitlement should go both ways however that is never going to happen in Thailand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TukTuk said:

I agree with you 100%.

My theory, and it maybe half-cocked and lessons learned from the Vietnam War, is that the US see's Thailand as a strategic, friendly location to stage the military in the event of an uprising in the future with China or anyone else in South East Asia.

So while Thai people can come to the US and buy up anything they want, it is not the same for US citizens in Thailand.

The entitlement should go both ways however that is never going to happen in Thailand.

But as has been explained before Thais buying land in US/UK is unlikely to stop the locals buying property too as they can compete  - but foreigners buying land in Thailand would be an issue as Thais would not be able to compete with their wealth thus huge swathes of Thailand (the best parts) would be owned by foreigners with thais priced out.

Please allow that to sink in, because this comes up so many times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TukTuk said:

I agree with you 100%.

Well you could well be right about the US and the reasons for not being firmer. I’m not sure the U.K. are doing it for military reasons. We are struggling to stop a handful of dinghies crossing the English Channel these days! 

The reality is, that having good foreign investment and opening your country up and allowing people to enter and stay freely is the right thing to do, as long as they are the right people. They should be people who can contribute positively to the country either in terms of injecting foreign currency and/or they provide a talent which the country needs in order to grow. Such people should be allowed to live in any country they wish to and have the basic rights of employment and owning a home.  Successive Thai governments have treated the outside world in a way to cement a nationalistic culture (they’ve never been colonised they keep on saying). They are of course not alone in such an approach. We see the same thing across Asia and Thailand will be the last place in the region to change, but change they will. 

As I have said before. No problem with that. Their country, their rules. But I want my country to reciprocate those rules for Thais in the U.K.  This in turn may cause them to question if it’s the right thing to do. Right now, we are allowing them to have their cake and eat it 

10 hours ago, Benroon said:

But as has been explained before Thais buying land in US/UK is unlikely to stop the locals buying property too as they can compete  - but foreigners buying land in Thailand would be an issue as Thais would not be able to compete with their wealth thus huge swathes of Thailand (the best parts) would be owned by foreigners with thais priced out.

Not true at all.

Most expats that moved to Thailand could NOT afford the best land in Thailand.

Thais priced out? Come on man. That is as far from the truth as you can get.

How many farangs married to Thai's own the best swath's of land? ZERO!

Now if you talk foreign developers maybe but unlikely.

The majority of choice lands in Thailand is owed the HRM.

Any foreigner with enough money to buy choice land, wouldn't have a reason to ever be in Thailand.

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well you could well be right about the US and the reasons for not being firmer. I’m not sure the U.K. are doing it for military reasons. We are struggling to stop a handful of dinghies crossing the English Channel these days! 

The reality is, that having good foreign investment and opening your country up and allowing people to enter and stay freely is the right thing to do, as long as they are the right people. They should be people who can contribute positively to the country either in terms of injecting foreign currency and/or they provide a talent which the country needs in order to grow. Such people should be allowed to live in any country they wish to and have the basic rights of employment and owning a home.  Successive Thai governments have treated the outside world in a way to cement a nationalistic culture (they’ve never been colonised they keep on saying). They are of course not alone in such an approach. We see the same thing across Asia and Thailand will be the last place in the region to change, but change they will. 

As I have said before. No problem with that. Their country, their rules. But I want my country to reciprocate those rules for Thais in the U.K.  This in turn may cause them to question if it’s the right thing to do. Right now, we are allowing them to have their cake and eat it 

You ever wonder why Thai billionaires want to be in politics or how rich ALL the politicians are? Thailand will never change because the system makes the rich, richer and more powerful.

Why do you think Thailand never evolves or invests anything in education?

Do you think the politicians want an educated populace? I don't.

With an uneducated population they can rule the roost and put as much corruption money in their pockets as possible and not be questioned, or get a way with a half cocked answer like shooting water guns in the air will cure air pollution. The water guns made someone $5 million.

Or the fact Thailand needs submarines and 30 year old ones at that. 

An educated populace would see right through that one.

Money buys power in Thailand. Those in power make the rules that benefit themselves not the country.

It hasn't changed in 37 years since I first set foot in Thailand.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Benroon said:

If Thais are so poor why are they buying property overseas? Sure most Thais are not wealthy but its not as if we Westerners are all filthy rich either. If 1% of the US population owns over 80% of the nations assets, then how can your common citizen buy land in Thailand? With regard to the average wage sure the West has an advantage but in both cases it is the affluent that gets the low hanging fruit. In this regard both suffer.

Or do you believe that the Junta's vision of the low life Falang is true to form?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TukTuk said:

I don't want to live in Thailand at all. Financially I do not have to. I didn't trap myself there.

Your posts here center around this bizarre idea that all, or at least most, expats living here are doing so because they "have to ... financially" and they're "trapped there" - particularly those living in Issan.

It has to be one of the most uninformed, outdated and blinkered views I've read here.

Of course you can have a better quality of life here on limited funds than you can in many places in the West, but there are plenty of places that are far cheaper if that's your main priority - not only in the Far East, but also in Eastern Europe where you can still get the sun, sea and sand that seems to be all you now want.

Thailand hasn't been a particularly "cheap" place to retire to or to live for at least twenty years, and it's becoming less so all the time.

Comparing like for like, many things are at least as expensive here, if not considerably more, and they have been for years.  Our house isn't particularly large or palatial, but a similar house built to a similar standard in a similar location in the UK would be considerably cheaper; cars, new or particularly second-hand, are considerably more expensive here; schools, apart from state schools, are more expensive, like for like based on the standard of teaching.

On the other hand some things are considerably cheaper, such as vets, medical treatment (at least compared to some countries) and unskilled or semi-skilled labour.

It's a balance, but on balance there's little in it for most people and many here miss out on many of the freebies and allowances they would get on retirement in their own countries, from bus passes and meals-on-wheels to carer's and mobility allowances.

I'm sure there are some who are "trapped" here financially, but only a very small minority and they must have done very little homework before they came.

11 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Tallyho. AM flight to Aruba! 2 hour flight from Miami

If that's what you want, then I can see why you "don't want to live in Thailand at all", but for many of us here living in a tacky, concrete and plastic filled Disneyland would be anything but what we'd enjoy or look forward to.

Horses for courses and each to his own.