News Forum - Deputy PM plans to meet with foreign ambassadors to discuss 10-year visa

Thaiger

21 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

And how many are motorbike accidents that the Thai (people) businesses rented to a foreigner that did not know how to ride, have a license or they did not carry insurance for their bikes rented? I can almost understand having no license, but one needs to know how to ride. Please stop putting all the blame on foreigners and even the ones who like to have some fun with no holds bar.

And surly not tourists from europe they are covert by their insurances and a cheap top up for traveling any destination in the world and most are credit card holders and covert by their health insurance for travelling. And he also doesnt kniw that majority of expats/foreigners are working in a company or have a company or businesses. It is a little percentage the retired ones. It is always annoying that people who not live in Thailand want to explain the people who live in Thailand , work here and have families here about what Thai thinks and situation in Thailand is. All you see it is what they read the government announced but they have no knowledge about the reality in Thailand and even say thats what the Thais wants. He is just a troll 

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Before yes but with the new regulations they blocked the Chinese to bring out money or investing abroad. But before it was not Thailand mostly in western countries like Canada, USA and Europe. In Vancouver they even put extra 20% to invest or buy for the Chinese buyers because the prices were exploding and they tried to stop it. But this is stopped now by the chinese government who worried that their citizens all want to bring out their money from China. 

Star you know as well as I do that if you want to get money out of a country its pretty easy to do so regardless of the rules.

Especially for the rich.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

most are credit card holders and covert by their health insurance for travelling.

Yep. 

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

And he also doesnt kniw that majority of expats/foreigners are working in a company or have a company or businesses.

Yep

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

It is always annoying that people who not live in Thailand want to explain the people who live in Thailand , work here and have families here about what Thai thinks and situation in Thailand is

Not sure.

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

All you see it is what they read the government announced but they have no knowledge about the reality in Thailand and even say thats what the Thais wants. He is just a troll 

Again not sure. But you might have a specific person in mind who posts on this forum? Please to be safe do not mention him or his name as it is not allowed and only is not worth it. But yes, I understand what you are saying, but our opinions do vary as we all all human beings as is our right of free speech. BUT- My opinions are pretty close to your opinions though. We understand each other, well for at least this topic we do. Cheers. !

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Star you know as well as I do that if you want to get money out of a country its pretty easy to do so regardless of the rules.

Especially for the rich.

If you are smart and likable, have a good plan and a big envelope perhaps. 

1 hour ago, LoongFred said:

They didn't make the country famous, IMO.  They're more the takers who feel entitled because they come from places that have been better off. They feel they can do as they please and corrupt Thai  values of generosity and caring for the less fortunate. Everyone visiting is responsible to pay their share plus leave with giving more than they took. 

One of the reasons why there is so much concern about visitor healthcare is as a group these visitors are underfunded. Rarely if ever do long term foreigners run out on hospital bills, mostly underfunded crowd. 

You are putting a whole lot of people in a box who don't belong there. Of course there are the foreigners you talk about, but don't assume it's everyone who behaves like this, just because you probably haven't met any. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

Oh mate, don’t even get me started on this, if by some miracle I could have control over this, the first thing I would do is get a list of all countries and simply ask these questions:

Can U.K. citizens get a job there and are there any restrictions?

Can they own a business outright?

Can they own their own house and land?

What are the immigration rules for simply visiting the country ?

I would then look to implement reciprocal arrangements for them in the U.K.  

Drives me crazy to see rich Thais buying up a business like Leicester City Football club and the Shinawatra clan buying houses and property in the U.K.  No problem with any of the above in the U.K. as long as the same goes for me in their country. If my government put a brake on rich Thais doing those things here, then maybe, just maybe they could influence their government to ease the rules in Thailand. 

You are very entitled or think you are. Why would Thai make special privileges because one’s from the UK? I think they should charge a premium for entitlement.   

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yep. 

Yep

Not sure.

Again not sure. But you might have a specific person in mind who posts on this forum? Please to be safe do not mention him or his name as it is not allowed and only is not worth it. But yes, I understand what you are saying, but our opinions do vary as we all all human beings as is our right of free speech. BUT- My opinions are pretty close to your opinions though. We understand each other, well for at least this topic we do. Cheers. !

Sure i mean someone you answered and I agree on that (your comment at him), too. I commented on your answer to him because I not want to feed him

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Especially for the rich.

Yes I agree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yep. 

Yep

Not sure.

And your question list I fully agree, too

39 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

You are very entitled or think you are. Why would Thai make special privileges because one’s from the UK? I think they should charge a premium for entitlement.   

Why am I entitled? I simply want parity with what I’m allowed to do in Thailand? Why should a Thai Citizen get to own land and houses and commercial properties along with 100% ownership of businesses in the U.K., when I’m not able to do that in Thailand as a U.K. citizen? I’m not asking for anything more then equality so how am I entitled? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Why am I entitled? I simply want parity with what I’m allowed to do in Thailand? Why should a Thai Citizen get to own land and houses and commercial properties along with 100% ownership of businesses in the U.K., when I’m not able to do that in Thailand as a U.K. citizen? I’m not asking for anything more then equality so how am I entitled? 

Exactly.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Don't feed them anymore it will just encourage them to stay out late another day  😉

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Parity?

Like visas on arrival ... retirement extensions ... marriage extensions with no income requirement ... that sort of parity?

3 hours ago, Stardust said:

And surly not tourists from europe they are covert by their insurances and a cheap top up for traveling any destination in the world and most are credit card holders and covert by their health insurance for travelling.

To drive a motor bike without a licence, and for medical costs in the event of an accident?

Interesting view .....

9 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Parity?

Like visas on arrival ... retirement extensions ... marriage extensions with no income requirement ... that sort of parity?

Exactly @Stonker. You are looking to miss my point I know. Parity means parity. I’m happy to give Thai citizens rights which are more favourable than those offered by the U.K. in such matters. If Thailand wants to offer me a visa exemption as they do for 30 days, then I’m happy for the U.K. to offer that to Thais citizens. But the changes also need to be introduced at the same time owners of King Power (Srivaddhanaprabha family) sell 51% stake of their business interests in the U.K.  or I’m allowed to 100% own a business in Thailand.

I know you want to paint me or anyone else in this forum who says anything negative about Thailand as “Thai bashers”, but when I say parity I mean parity.  

There is of course some rules that the Thai authorities and U.K. authorities would have to work on. This would include things like the number of people who enter the country on a tourist or visa exemption and then either work illegally or overstay.  Perhaps something that places limits on numbers or percentage of visitors who violate rules that then removes the parity on that particular privilege until it’s resolved. You know what I mean by this as it is already very easy for Thais to get a tourist visa to the U.K. as long as you show you are not an economic migrant or risk of becoming an illegal worker.  

So yes, I mean Parity, as in equal  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Stonker said:

To drive a motor bike without a licence, and for medical costs in the event of an accident?

Interesting view .....

So many Thais drive motorbikes and cars without a license. Are you suggesting this is a requirement for foreigners also? 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Soidog said:

Your not even in Thailand or a Thai citizen.  Move to Thailand become a citizen when ask for your entitled rights. 

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

Exactly @Stonker. You are looking to miss my point I know. Parity means parity. I’m happy to give Thai citizens rights which are more favourable than those offered by the U.K. in such matters. If Thailand wants to offer me a visa exemption as they do for 30 days, then I’m happy for the U.K. to offer that to Thais citizens. But the changes also need to be introduced at the same time owners of King Power (Srivaddhanaprabha family) sell 51% stake of their business interests in the U.K.  or I’m allowed to 100% own a business in Thailand.

I know you want to paint me or anyone else in this forum who says anything negative about Thailand as “Thai bashers”, but when I say parity I mean parity.  

There is of course some rules that the Thai authorities and U.K. authorities would have to work on. This would include things like the number of people who enter the country on a tourist or visa exemption and then either work illegally or overstay.  Perhaps something that places limits on numbers or percentage of visitors who violate rules that then removes the parity on that particular privilege until it’s resolved. You know what I mean by this as it is already very easy for Thais to get a tourist visa to the U.K. as long as you show you are not an economic migrant or risk of becoming an illegal worker.  

So yes, I mean Parity, as in equal  

In that case, maybe you could give a link to where you've been encouraging Brits (and others) to write to their MP's about giving Thais "parity" in the UK and elsewhere, as you've been encouraging people to complain to Thai embassies. 

... or maybe not.

You evidently haven't noticed, but I have plenty "negative" to say about Thailand, as well as plenty more that outweighs it that's positive which is why I've chosen to live here.

On the other hand, the only thing positive you and a few others seem to have to say is that the sun shines here. 

If that's your view, fine, no problem, but why fixate on Thailand so obsessively like a fox on grapes if things are so bad when there are a couple of hundred other countries for you to go to and complain about?

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

So many Thais drive motorbikes and cars without a license. Are you suggesting this is a requirement for foreigners also? 😂

I think you need to re-read the post I was replying to, as what I wrote had nothing to do with "many Thais drive motorbikes and cars without a license" but was about @Stardust's novel idea that "And surly not tourists from europe they are covert by their insurances and a cheap top up for traveling any destination in the world and most are credit card holders and covert by their health insurance for travelling".

10 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

Devil's in the detail of course.

Agreed, @Artemis080.

Part of the detail being that while you may get "overseas tax exemption", they're "expecting" you to pay at least a million baht a year in tax in Thailand 😢!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

I think you need to re-read the post I was replying to, as what I wrote had nothing to do with "many Thais drive motorbikes and cars without a license" but was about @Stardust's novel idea that "And surly not tourists from europe they are covert by their insurances and a cheap top up for traveling any destination in the world and most are credit card holders and covert by their health insurance for travelling".

Why then is there a problem with unpaid health care for tourists? It seems those here long term have  found ways to get covered, but tourists types on vacation have serious accidents because they are not familiar with driving here, are under the influence of something or have never driven a motorbike. Hospital are obligated to treat emergencies and some can't pay. This was why the 500 baht landing fee will soon start.

Additionally, those who rent motor bikes should be required to charge more and include insurance. 

32 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Why then is there a problem with unpaid health care for tourists? It seems those here long term have  found ways to get covered, but tourists types on vacation have serious accidents because they are not familiar with driving here, are under the influence of something or have never driven a motorbike. Hospital are obligated to treat emergencies and some can't pay. This was why the 500 baht landing fee will soon start.

Additionally, those who rent motor bikes should be required to charge more and include insurance. 

Agreed absolutely - as always, the many suffer because of the few.

Ok, so I’m potentially one of the people being targeted by the plans. Long term visitor to Thailand, fortunate to be able to eat well most nights and thinking about taking my foot off the gas a bit. Not fully retiring but concentrating on the things in life that bring pleasure.

I don’t think the government is turning their back on bread & butter tourists, they will still come in the usual way for a few weeks. But I want to lay down a few roots. Spend European winters in Thailand, own a nice property overlooking Phang Nga By, possibly do some business which encourages more people to visit and generally promote the area. 

I don’t need to launder money, have no desire to run a bar or marry a local and don’t think I will step on anyone’s toes. I know the rules and my place.

But Thailand’s current suspicion of foreign investment makes it hard and puts a lot of people off. There are ways to work the system but ultimately the very people you want in the country are the ones being discouraged until now.

Absolutely keep mainstream tourism numbers coming so traditional businesses can continue to prosper but a thousand people bringing in $1 million plus each is a good thing particularly when they bring with them skills that can help the wider economy.

I get so frustrated seeing Thai businesses trying to attract the tourist dollar but failing on some fundamental, easy to correct areas. As a tourist myself it’s easy to see why people flock to MacDonalds or Starbucks but it doesn’t have to be that way. Similarly if I can attract people wanting to spend $10, 20 or $30,000 per week during their holiday and the money stays in the Thai economy where’s the harm?

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Your not even in Thailand or a Thai citizen.  Move to Thailand become a citizen when ask for your entitled rights. 

First thing Uncle Fred. I spend most of my time in Thailand and only leave when my work takes me away. Don’t get me confused with an occasional tourist.

Secondly, you have done what you always do which is miss the point and try to deflect. Question still stands. Why is asking for equally parity for Thai citizens  and U.K. citizens in each other’s country “entitled”. Answer the question and then move to another topic. You won’t because you can’t. 

• Like 3