News Forum - Silencing the Voice: Pro-Thaksin outlet shuts down, sending shockwaves

Thaiger

A bombshell announcement rocks the media landscape as Voice TV, the longstanding bastion of pro-Thaksin views, announces it is shutting down. The board of Voice TV declared the end of its 15-year run, leaving some 100 journalists and staff members facing the axe. The abrupt closure has left tongues wagging, with no immediate rationale provided … …

The story Silencing the Voice: Pro-Thaksin outlet shuts down, sending shockwaves as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Thaksin doesn't need a dedicated TV channel - most of the free-to-air TV channels give him and his family fawning coverage on all their news and current affairs programs.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why this is a "bombshell announcement" or why anyone is "shocked".

I read this last night in the Bangkok Post and it seems that they turned in their broadcast license some time ago and were just relying on "satellite" and internet broadcasts for the publishing of their stories.

Combine that with the fact that their political savior (and soon to be joined by his sister) is nearly fully "rehabilitated" in Thai political circles and there really isn't much more reason for them to continue.

Job done, the Thaksin family empire has been "rehabilitated", what do they need a personal TV channel for now? 

• Like 1