The "Ashes" 2021/22

Smithydog

Well we did see some play with Australia at stumps at 3/126. But once again rain ended the day, just when things were getting really interested.

Saw a funny remark on one of the live commentary cricket sites suggesting Pat Cummins should declare as unlikely England in 2 innings could get the runs Australia has already made! Oh, how the wolves circle when a side is down!

On a separate note, a great day for Bangladesh, celebrating an 8 wicket test win over New Zealand today. Probably their best ever away result in tests. Congratulations to the "Tigers"!

A wonderful story with it. "Ebadot Hossain, a former volleyball player for the Bangladesh Air Force who had a bowling average of 81.54 from 10 Tests coming into the series opener in Mount Maunganui, proved the unlikeliest of heroes as he ripped through the hosts with a terrific spell of 6-46."

“Bangladesh had not previously won any of their 43 matches in New Zealand across all three formats, while the result also ends the Kiwis' eight-series home win streak that stretched back to 2017.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/match-report/new-zealand-bangladesh-first-test-day-five-scores-report-ebadot-wickets-famous-win-victory/2022-01-05

• Like 2

Australia has continued on their merry way on day 2, now at 378/7 into the third session. Will they declare and have a go at the English Openers tonight? 

No better way for Khawaja to return. Currently on 123 not out and he and Smith out on a century stand for the 4th wicket. They seem to like batting together at the SCG. For England, Broad has returned well taking 4 wickets so far, but a manageable total from Australia is slipping again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

No better way for Khawaja to return. Currently on 123 not out and he and Smith out on a century stand for the 4th wicket.

Great knock from Khawaja. I hope he can force his way back into the Aussie line-up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Root gone. Its over.

Oh yea of little faith......

(it was over before Root got to the crease).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Root gone. Its over.

But good to see the Poms (can't believe I'm saying this)...fight back. Bairstow's knock was well played and Stokes showed some calls today. Close Aussie victory or a draw on the cards.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

• Like 2

Great innings from Bairstow and well supported. That non-dismissal of Stokes was incredible. Ball clearly hit the stump but bail didn't dislodge at all.

I heard the umpires asked for the wickets to be more solid in the ground, but that was a bit too much!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

Great innings from Bairstow and well supported. That non-dismissal of Stokes was incredible. Ball clearly hit the stump but bail didn't dislodge at all.

I heard the umpires asked for the wickets to be more solid in the ground, but that was a bit too much!

SD this is the second time I've seen this kind of dismissal. When playing High School cricket the saying of "Flying Bails" was the norm but if a batsman is beaten and the ball hits the stumps even gently then in the eyes of most that is a wicket.

Next day is interesting as England making a fight of it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

SD this is the second time I've seen this kind of dismissal. When playing High School cricket the saying of "Flying Bails" was the norm but if a batsman is beaten and the ball hits the stumps even gently then in the eyes of most that is a wicket.

Next day is interesting as England making a fight of it.

Will Scott Boland be fit to play tomorrow? In which case England will probably last twenty minutes.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Will Scott Boland be fit to play tomorrow? In which case England will probably last twenty minutes.

Seems to be an endemic along with covid. That's three injured/sore fast bowlers. I'm hoping he'll be good to go. Watched him play for years in the Sheffield Shield and he consistently bowled well for Victoria.

We'll see tomorrow.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

Seems to be an endemic along with covid. That's three injured/sore fast bowlers. I'm hoping he'll be good to go. Watched him play for years in the Sheffield Shield and he consistently bowled well for Victoria.

We'll see tomorrow.   

His figures (cant remember them off the top of my head) are astonishing for this test

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

His figures (cant remember them off the top of my head) are astonishing for this test

Tests: 2

Wickets: 9

Average: 10.0

😳

Surely he can’t keep this up?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

😳

Dunno mate. Unless kryptonite works.

Maybe garlic. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

😳

He's done so many times already. Good quality bowlers from all six states have proven themselves test level but never had a chance unless there were injuries or retirements. Scott does much better in the long format.

Also feel for the batsmen. Khwaja could lose his spot for the fifth test after scoring a century and although unlikely Scott Boland could still miss out in Hobart if Josh Hazelwood gets the thumbs up for fitness. 

Even Harris could be axed next test series as Will Pukovski is over his concussion issues. When you have seven players in the worlds top 10 bowlers/batters, getting a test spot is extremely difficult. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

He's done so many times already. Good quality bowlers from all six states have proven themselves test level but never had a chance unless there were injuries or retirements. Scott does much better in the long format.

Also feel for the batsmen. Khwaja could lose his spot for the fifth test after scoring a century and although unlikely Scott Boland could still miss out in Hobart if Josh Hazelwood gets the thumbs up for fitness. 

Even Harris could be axed next test series as Will Pukovski is over his concussion issues. When you have seven players in the worlds top 10 bowlers/batters, getting a test spot is extremely difficult. 

Right Mick you and the other guys on here need to explain something to me.

I increasingly see comments from (predominately British commentators) that the short game is killing the long game. I dont get this at all.

Heres the thing. If you are a good batsman then you will be a good batsman regardless of the format. Same with bowlers. Picture a scenario where you are on the third day of a three day test. You have bowled out the opposition after lunch on the afternoon of the third day and need to chase a total of 150 runs to win.

Thats no different from the short game format. And thats been going on for a hundred years. Both the batsmen and bowlers face a time constrained limited number of overs. Yes there are fielding limitations in the short game but in a test you dont have that.

I really dont understand this concept that good players suddenly turn into tailors dummies just because the format of the game changes. Because all these players have faced the same challenges their entire playing career. 

If a player lacks fitness then yeah the longer game would wear him down but that guy should never be in a test squad anyway.

But heres the bit that really gets me. Do these commentators really believe its only England that faces the "challenge" of having to play different formats of the game?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Right Mick you and the other guys on here need to explain something to me.

I increasingly see comments from (predominately British commentators) that the short game is killing the long game. I dont get this at all.

Heres the thing. If you are a good batsman then you will be a good batsman regardless of the format. Same with bowlers. Picture a scenario where you are on the third day of a three day test. You have bowled out the opposition after lunch on the afternoon of the third day and need to chase a total of 150 runs to win.

Thats no different from the short game format. And thats been going on for a hundred years. Both the batsmen and bowlers face a time constrained limited number of overs. Yes there are fielding limitations in the short game but in a test you dont have that.

I really dont understand this concept that good players suddenly turn into tailors dummies just because the format of the game changes. Because all these players have faced the same challenges their entire playing career. 

If a player lacks fitness then yeah the longer game would wear him down but that guy should never be in a test squad anyway.

But heres the bit that really gets me. Do these commentators really believe its only England that faces the "challenge" of having to play different formats of the game?

RS...There is a noticeable difference between formats. Sometimes a test mach or first  class game may look like a one day game scenario exists. As an example 250 runs needed from 40 overs but the rules are different between formats.  Obtaining these runs can result in a soap opera.

In a T20 or one dayer you cannot bowl continual bouncers as the umpire will flag them as wides. You cannot bowl down the leg side. In short the bowler is dictated by the rules to bowl so that the batsman scores far more freely and must rely on either pin point accuracy to get wickets or toss the ball up and bowl faster so the ball is skied in the air and caught.

Endurance is another big factor. T20 is the same duration as a game of footy. So a score of fifty can be gotten in a quarter of the time. Scoreboard pressure becomes an issue. That's why the long game is called a test because you are pushed to limits that T20 or even one day games don't have.

Fielding restrictions are another factor. In the short format players can be restricted within a circle for a certain amount of overs. In test cricket its do as you want. You can set a different field and place fielders as per how you attack the individual batter.

It can look like effectively the same rules but all formats have differences that make their own challenges.

Short format players can fail in the long format due to endurance demands. Long format players can fail in the short game as batsmen may lack attacking shots and bowlers can no longer use their weapons but are dictated by constraints.

Sorry about the winded explanation.

Enjoy the series.   

• Like 2

Aussies now in for their second dig and effectively 126/0.

How many will they want before declaring? Perhaps bat through the first two sessions and put England in after tea?

• Like 2

Australia 3/84 and lead is over 200 with a Thunderstorm approaching. The draw is increasing in odds though never know with the England batting.

4 wickets for Boland. Hazelwood out of Hobart test as selectors have decided to rest him for upcoming T20 and one day matches, the overseas tour. Likely Boland will be retained for that test then.

• Like 3

A second century for Khawaja in the same test! What a comeback. When will the declaration come. Australia now leading by 386 runs. Green just slogged out for 74 as the hit out has started. 5/265 is the score.

• Like 1

Carey out first ball and Australia declares. Bit of a pointless exercise that!

England need 388 to win and looks like a maximum of 15 overs tonight and then the full day tomorrow, of course unless weather intervenes.

Was chatting with a mate who lives about 2km from the ground and they have heavy cloud cover with light rain now falling. Doesn't look good for play tonight.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

RS...There is a noticeable difference between formats. Sometimes a test mach or first  class game may look like a one day game scenario exists. As an example 250 runs needed from 40 overs but the rules are different between formats.  Obtaining these runs can result in a soap opera.

In a T20 or one dayer you cannot bowl continual bouncers as the umpire will flag them as wides. You cannot bowl down the leg side. In short the bowler is dictated by the rules to bowl so that the batsman scores far more freely and must rely on either pin point accuracy to get wickets or toss the ball up and bowl faster so the ball is skied in the air and caught.

Endurance is another big factor. T20 is the same duration as a game of footy. So a score of fifty can be gotten in a quarter of the time. Scoreboard pressure becomes an issue. That's why the long game is called a test because you are pushed to limits that T20 or even one day games don't have.

Fielding restrictions are another factor. In the short format players can be restricted within a circle for a certain amount of overs. In test cricket its do as you want. You can set a different field and place fielders as per how you attack the individual batter.

It can look like effectively the same rules but all formats have differences that make their own challenges.

Short format players can fail in the long format due to endurance demands. Long format players can fail in the short game as batsmen may lack attacking shots and bowlers can no longer use their weapons but are dictated by constraints.

Sorry about the winded explanation.

Enjoy the series.   

Aye I get those Mick and I kind of alluded to them in my post but I still maintain if you are a good bowler or batsman you will thrive in any format. You have the skills to do so. You NEED those skills to play regardless of the format. If you cannot play aggressively or indeed defensively as either a batsman or bowler you are not making the grade. Especially at this kind of level. 

Fitness should never be an issue for any professional sportsman. If it is he shouldn't be there. Stop paying the lazy sod.

And again I reiterate England is not alone in players competing in short or long formats. Australia faces the same issue but their players do not seem to suffer from it.

I really worry that these "disparities" between rule sets are simply going to be used to whitewash what is fundamentally wrong with the game in England and NO lessons are going to be learned here. 

Apologies to my English friends because I am going to say something which may offend but its not meant to.

Root is a fantastic batsman. Pure world class. One of the finest I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

But he is a poor captain. His fielding placement has been very erratic. His instructions as to how the bowlers play (especially in the early games) is possibly criminal. 

Now I am blaming Root for this. That may very well be unfair and he is simply following the instructions of the backroom staff as to how things should be done.

But again thats a failure of captaincy for me. If its not working then change it regardless of the orders you have been given. He may have tried to do so but given the quality of the players it simply didnt work out. I dont know whats going on within the inner circles of the team.

What I do believe is that different formats of the game is not the issue. It would affect Australian players in the same way. If it is ultimately used to cover up the inadequacies of Englands performance then hammerings by other teams is going to go on for a long time. 

Sorry for the rant but the season of good will is over. Almost a year of freedom before we all have to face that unpleasantness again 😁 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Aye I get those Mick and I kind of alluded to them in my post but I still maintain if you are a good bowler or batsman you will thrive in any format. You have the skills to do so. You NEED those skills to play regardless of the format. If you cannot play aggressively or indeed defensively as either a batsman or bowler you are not making the grade. Especially at this kind of level. 

Fitness should never be an issue for any professional sportsman. If it is he shouldn't be there. Stop paying the lazy sod.

And again I reiterate England is not alone in players competing in short or long formats. Australia faces the same issue but their players do not seem to suffer from it.

I really worry that these "disparities" between rule sets are simply going to be used to whitewash what is fundamentally wrong with the game in England and NO lessons are going to be learned here. 

Apologies to my English friends because I am going to say something which may offend but its not meant to.

Root is a fantastic batsman. Pure world class. One of the finest I have ever had the pleasure to watch.

But he is a poor captain. His fielding placement has been very erratic. His instructions as to how the bowlers play (especially in the early games) is possibly criminal. 

Now I am blaming Root for this. That may very well be unfair and he is simply following the instructions of the backroom staff as to how things should be done.

But again thats a failure of captaincy for me. If its not working then change it regardless of the orders you have been given. He may have tried to do so but given the quality of the players it simply didnt work out. I dont know whats going on within the inner circles of the team.

What I do believe is that different formats of the game is not the issue. It would affect Australian players in the same way. If it is ultimately used to cover up the inadequacies of Englands performance then hammerings by other teams is going to go on for a long time. 

Sorry for the rant but the season of good will is over. Almost a year of freedom before we all have to face that unpleasantness again 😁 

Well put RS. You understand a lot more about the game than you think. The best players simply adapt to all formats. A bit like the tennis big four (Federer, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic)  could win on any surface.

Agreed totally on fitness and conditioning. The big thing there is aging fast bowlers with tendonitis issues. the body can only take so much wear and tear. Apart from that an athlete is still an athlete and should live life as such.

In closing a big thanks as Australia spent years preparing. We adjusted to the Dukes ball and English county cricket conditions as well as studying the English players and their tactics. Some people have come up with all sorts of excuses about why England has failed but we have also had covid retsrictions, lack of match practice and injured players.

I'm really proud of our blokes. We are taking on a very good side and beating them.

All the best RS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1