The "Ashes" 2021/22

Smithydog

And he is goooooonnnnneeee......the very first ball of the series and the batter is bowled!

Great start from Starc and the Aussies!

• Like 1

England settled on the following side.

Rory Burns, 2 Haseeb Hameed, 3 Dawid Malan, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Ben Stokes, 6 Ollie Pope, 7 Jos Buttler (wk), 8 Chris Woakes, 9 Ollie Robinson, 10 Mark Wood, 11 Jack Leach

And whilst typing, the second wicket has gone down as Hazelwood gets Dawid Malan. now 2 down for 11.

All the pressure now is on Joe Root. The Malan wicket is a classic one for someone not used to Australian conditions. Could have left that alone with the bounce. Probably thought he needed to play and in other countries may needed to. But looks good bounce as usual. 

Looks a good crowd for the first day. Feels funny. First time in 20 years I haven't actually been there for the first day of the ashes match in Brisbane!

• Like 1

Watching it on the ICC App that is using the Foxtel commentators. So you get Gilchrist, Mark Waugh & Warnie which are always good.

But then add in "Skull" Kerry O'Keefe and you get get the humour as well. Good group!

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

Watching it on the ICC App that is using the Foxtel commentators. So you get Gilchrist, Mark Waugh & Warnie which are always good.

But then add in "Skull" Kerry O'Keefe and you get get the humour as well. Good group!

Same here. I like Mike Hussey as a commentator too.

7C92E1A5-49EA-43FF-98D2-7C33FD454525.jpeg

22 hours ago, BigHewer said:

A couple of walking wickets in that Aussie batting lineup. Fancy a flutter @mickkotlarski?

Pommies out for 147. Poultry as the score is it's no reason for yours truly to celebrate yet as what one team does to the other can be given back. Interesting 2nd day coming up. Stay happy and healthy brother BH.

P.S: Outstanding day of SCUBA at Koh Mak today. Still buzzing now. 55555

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 9:23 PM, mickkotlarski said:

Pommies out for 147. Poultry as the score is it's no reason for yours truly to celebrate yet as what one team does to the other can be given back. Interesting 2nd day coming up. Stay happy and healthy brother BH.

P.S: Outstanding day of SCUBA at Koh Mak today. Still buzzing now. 55555

Harris and Green did as I expected them to but Warner and Head surprised me, with Head in particular justifying his selection with a stunning knock. England will need to really graft after lunch tomorrow or it could be all over on Saturday afternoon.

Koh Mak Mick, ah lucky you. I don’t need to tell you how chilly it is here.

• Like 3

The no ball calling, or the lack of it, is disturbing especially considering the number identified.

I can't even recall spotting the umpires checking the marks on the line like you often see. To me this is unfair on both sides. Would the calling affected anything as regards to the wicket. Perhaps yes or no. Who can really say. The bowler could have adjusted and still overstepped or the extra bit back my have impacted where the ball pitched.

Great batting from Head and Labuschagne and has placed England in a challenging position at the end of the second day. One wonders what the score may have been if the over rate was better. Considering they had extra time, bowling only 84 overs was simply disgusting.

• Like 2

Lunch in the cricket, and I'm enjoying sitting here in my thermals as I watch all these summery Aussie ads on the Fox broadcast. McDonalds' new "frozen coke" with a Flake bar anyone?

Exciting second session coming up, as England chase down 279 for victory. to avoid an innings defeat.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 9:11 AM, BigHewer said:

Lunch in the cricket, and I'm enjoying sitting here in my thermals as I watch all these summery Aussie ads on the Fox broadcast. McDonalds' new "frozen coke" with a Flake bar anyone?

Exciting second session coming up, as England chase down 279 for victory. to avoid an innings defeat.

Match completed and 1:0 to the home team. Very happy with my boy Travis Head and Alex Carey's debut in the test side. I think we'll carry the momentum to Adelaide as like the Gabba the conditions will suit Australia better. Still though a better victory than originally expected as I thought it would be closer.

• Like 2

Yes. Carey a record 8 catches on debut, setting a record on his own, and matching the total dismissal record for a debut wicketkeeper. (Others were 7 catches and 1 stumping).

English collapse today was because of good test match bowling and poor test match batting. Too many tempted to play poor shots or hang out the bat.

Quite a few injuries out of the match and indicative of a lack of solid match play. Both teams will be better for the hit out and the now longer than expected gap between the tests. Both Broad and Anderson strong chances for being brought in for the Adelaide Test. Woakes just doesn't cut the grade for me. Wood did impress though and thought Stokes was suffering badly from lack of quality practice, so plenty of room for his improvement.

For Australia, Harris as opener has to produce in Adelaide, which being a day/night test throws in added complications. Whilst the bowling for Australia is in reasonable nick, Starc is still nowhere near being in form and still looked a bit all over the place. I wouldn't be adverse to looking at other options if he produces the same in Adelaide. Green looked real good as a bowler and has excellent potential for the all-rounder spot.

So, onto the Adelaide Day/Night test. I see Tasmania have been given the final test as well. Western Australia are learning the hard way that having a great stadium is fine but useless if you can't get the biggest games and players to play there!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickkotlarski said:

Match completed and 1:0 to the home team. Very happy with my boy Travis Head and Alex Carey's debut in the test side. I think we'll carry the momentum to Adelaide as like the Gabba the conditions will suit Australia better. Still though a better victory than originally expected as I thought it would be closer.

What’s that, three beers to the good for you now Mick? I’m planning to win one back in Adelaide 🍻😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Yes. Carey a record 8 catches on debut, setting a record on his own, and matching the total dismissal record for a debut wicketkeeper. (Others were 7 catches and 1 stumping).

Pretty impressive performance from the Aussies and Cummins did a fine job as captain. I wonder what the record is for most wickets by an Australian captaining for the first time is. Probably not the record but 7/89 match figures would be up there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigHewer said:

What’s that, three beers to the good for you now Mick? I’m planning to win one back in Adelaide 🍻😁

3 / 0 indeed and I got a feeling the Aussies will do well in Adelaide. I imagine a closer game but interesting to see how the English batsmen perform.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

I imagine a closer game but interesting to see how the English batsmen perform.

I think it is even more interesting to see how the English bowlers perform, my brother! Jimmy, Jimmy… 😁

• Like 1

I always think its somewhat difficult for a northern hemisphere team going to the south in the middle of the closed season due to players simply being short of playing time. However that is always offset slightly by players being available and not injured.

Damage was done in Englands first innings obviously. This controversy over no balls is nonsense though. A pitch is 66 feet long. 2 or 3 inches shorter makes absolutely no difference. 

England can take some comfort in the performance of several players. Root and Malans knock was impressive. I honestly think there is a superb performance inside the England team I just dont know or understand what needs to be done to get it out. It is a talented group of players.

Australia are of course always going to be really hard to beat anywhere but especially at home. What a servant Lyon has been to Australia. Cummins and Hazelwood of course outstanding. I cant see any deficiency in their game which England can exploit.

Some are calling for England to adopt a more seamed attack. I'm not sure about that. Yes they can enjoy the extra height that pitches in Australia deliver but I cant help thinking thats only a novelty to northern hemisphere players. Australians are, oddly enough, used to Australian pitches. 

I dont think England can afford to lose the next match though. If they do then I believe the test is all over bar the sound thrashings which will be delivered. They need to come up with something to turn this around. I wish them luck.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

I cant see any deficiency in their game which England can exploit.

I agree with all you’ve said but still see chinks in the Aussie batting. Harris is a walking wicket, Warner blows hot and cold, Smith not what he was. The Aussies are obsessed with a number 6 bowling all-rounder, a hangover from the 2005 defeat and Flintoff. They’ve tried a few, even had Ronald MacDonald batting and bowling for them at #6 in a few tests (sorry, can’t remember his real name). Green is no Flintoff.

England’s bowling will be at full strength in Adelaide, and I only see one outcome.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I agree with all you’ve said but still see chinks in the Aussie batting. Harris is a walking wicket, Warner blows hot and cold, Smith not what he was. The Aussies are obsessed with a number 6 bowling all-rounder, a hangover from the 2005 defeat and Flintoff. They’ve tried a few, even had Ronald MacDonald batting and bowling for them at #6 in a few tests (sorry, can’t remember his real name). Green is no Flintoff.

England’s bowling will be at full strength in Adelaide, and I only see one outcome.

I get what you are saying. And it makes sense. Sadly England no longer have Flintoff or anyone like him. Dont think any team has at the moment so I fear that Australia could put me in at #6 and still have a good chance of winning.

If only I had an Australian grandmother or something. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was watching the Australian A vs English Lions 4 day game highlights.

They are playing at the Ian Healy Oval in Brisbane and it is a beautiful looking cricket ground. Really not a great lot for England to celebrate in the match at this stage either!

Mitch Marsh went mad in his second innings bat hitting 60 off just 27 balls with 7 sixes! Khawaja failed again so he is not doing his cause much good.

Not much in either sides' bowling to call out. Neser did get 5 wickets in the first innings but very little else coming through. 

The second test in Adelaide, a day/night fixture, is off and running. Australia has won the toss and elected to bat first. The sides are:

image.png.e9dd3df6aa0642e3cb77100d074d61e8.png

The biggest news.....Pat Cummins is out of the test after being deemed a Covid-19 close contact! Steve Smith reverts to captain with Michael Neser in for Cummins and Jhye Richardson in for the injured Hazelwood.

England has gone with an all seam attack, leaving out Jack Leach. Broad and Anderson both playing.