The "Ashes" 2021/22

Smithydog

4 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Well put RS. You understand a lot more about the game than you think. The best players simply adapt to all formats. A bit like the tennis big four (Federer, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic)  could win on any surface.

Agreed totally on fitness and conditioning. The big thing there is aging fast bowlers with tendonitis issues. the body can only take so much wear and tear. Apart from that an athlete is still an athlete and should live life as such.

In closing a big thanks as Australia spent years preparing. We adjusted to the Dukes ball and English county cricket conditions as well as studying the English players and their tactics. Some people have come up with all sorts of excuses about why England has failed but we have also had covid retsrictions, lack of match practice and injured players.

I'm really proud of our blokes. We are taking on a very good side and beating them.

All the best RS.

In my humble opinion (you now have your hands on your head dont you) the problem with English cricket is the lack of opportunities for kids to play the game.

How many schools still have a cricket pitch? The land has been sold for other purposes.

Its a fact the best performing players in the England team ALL came from comprehensive schools but the majority of the team came from private schools. 

Its this school tie snobbery which is killing the game. The ECB is made up of crusty old fuds who never had much skill but wear the right school tie and have a bit of money behind them. Half of them dont know what day of the week it is.

Its been this way for years and nothing they do addresses the fundamental problem of that if kids dont get to play the game you are not going to find the ones with true talent.

There is a Don Bradman sitting in a school in England right now but we will never see him because he will never get the chance to play.

And breath...... 

• Like 2

And a draw it is! I have to say, that was probably the best day of the series so far from what I’ve seen. 

England can take some confidence to Hobart. They’ve finally shown a bit of fight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

And a draw it is! I have to say, that was probably the best day of the series so far from what I’ve seen. 

England can take some confidence to Hobart. They’ve finally shown a bit of fight.

Yeah a couple of players have had exceptional personal performances. A couple of others have had disappointing results.

Cricket is all about fair play. So I demand that Borland is not allowed to play any more. Its an unfair advantage.  

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah a couple of players have had exceptional personal performances. A couple of others have had disappointing results.

Cricket is all about fair play. So I demand that Borland is not allowed to play any more. Its an unfair advantage.  

I think the Boland story is a real treat. Two tests in, 14 wickets @8.50. I hope he keeps it up. 

In the early 2000s, English cricket fans were always puzzled as to why Mike Hussey never got picked for the test side. (Very relieved too!) Finally got an opportunity after the famous 2005 Ashes defeat and broke record after record. 

Great to see the old blokes get a chance and grab it with both hands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I think the Boland story is a real treat. Two tests in, 14 wickets @8.50. I hope he keeps it up. 

In the early 2000s, English cricket fans were always puzzled as to why Mike Hussey never got picked for the test side. (Very relieved too!) Finally got an opportunity after the famous 2005 Ashes defeat and broke record after record. 

Absolutely!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigHewer said:

OK in order for the fairy tale to continue in the final test Borland plays for England and you guys can have Jack Leach.

Fair enough?

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Well put RS. You understand a lot more about the game than you think. The best players simply adapt to all formats. A bit like the tennis big four (Federer, Nadal, Murray, Djokovic)  could win on any surface.

Agreed totally on fitness and conditioning. The big thing there is aging fast bowlers with tendonitis issues. the body can only take so much wear and tear. Apart from that an athlete is still an athlete and should live life as such.

In closing a big thanks as Australia spent years preparing. We adjusted to the Dukes ball and English county cricket conditions as well as studying the English players and their tactics. Some people have come up with all sorts of excuses about why England has failed but we have also had covid retsrictions, lack of match practice and injured players.

I'm really proud of our blokes. We are taking on a very good side and beating them.

All the best RS.

Can't Complain we got smashed by the Aussies and were Embarrassed. Says it all when we can use Rain to force a draw. Pack your gear in the Plane and leave with your tails between your legs and Apologies to your fans for that Rubbish you gave them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:01 PM, Rookiescot said:

OK in order for the fairy tale to continue in the final test Borland plays for England and you guys can have Jack Leach.

Fair enough?

Scotty Boland may not play depending on fitness. Could be Richardson back.

Marcus Harris out as leaving Travis Head or Usman Khawaja on the sidelines would be a poor move.

No big news from the England camp yet so be interesting what team they field for the Hobart test.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Scotty Boland may not play depending on fitness. Could be Richardson back.

Marcus Harris out as leaving Travis Head or Usman Khawaja on the sidelines would be a poor move.

No big news from the England camp yet so be interesting what team they field for the Hobart test.

Be interesting to see if they turn up 😆

• Haha 1

Harris will be dropped with Khawaja to open. The news seems to be that Boland pulled up sore after the Sydney test but has completed a full training session since and seems ok. Looks like a pretty tough guy so doubt he will easily give up! Apparently will have a fitness test though.

If he does drop out then likely Richardson will likely come back in. Poms might like their chances better with him as his form is probably a bit questionable when compared to Boland. After all he only took a "five for" in the day/night test in Adelaide! 😁😁

A few injury concerns for the Poms, might possibly give them a very different looking team. Will be challenging as have not passed 300 in any of their eight test innings this series. Australia has in 3 out of 4 times in their first innings and the other time they simply didn't need too! Both batting and bowling apart from some small individual sessions have not been their best.

They seem to be lacking in combining as a team. Has there simply been too much on their minds with family etc back in the UK in these times. I am sure, despite their professional sport ability, it has had an impact.

• Like 3

Same as all International teams leaving to play abroad. Once you put the Three lions on your shirt you give your best and effort and if you get beat at least you tried your hardest. The English test team did neither all they wanted was a few Month's in the Sun no heart, no commitment, no backbone.

The fifth and final test is underway. England has won the toss and done some early damage on a green pitch with Australia loosing Warner, Khawaja and Smith cheaply. Hobart is humid and has overcast conditions. 90% chance of rain so looks like good conditions for the seam and swing bowlers.

Apparently the pitch was underwater 2 days ago so no surprise it is green! A lot of changes to the England side.

Australia XI: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Scott Boland, Nathan Lyon

England XI: Rory Burns, Zak Crawley, Dawid Malan, Joe Root (c), Ben Stokes, Ollie Pope, Sam Billings (wk), Chris Woakes, Stuart Broad, Ollie Robinson, Mark Wood

• Like 2

Australia finished on 241 for 6 as rain ended the day with 30 overs still to be bowled. England's attack was hampered by a "stiff back" injury to Ollie Robinson. After the bad start, the score was settled down by a big partnership between Head (101) and Green (74).

Judging from the time of day when the rain started, England looked again in a terrible position with their over rate. Australia's run rate was good at 3.5 runs an over as Head counterattacked.

All the good work done with the bowlers pitching the ball up was undone as Mark Wood inexplicably kept bowling short just feeding Head on his favourite shots. His tactics did work, eventually getting Green hooking a short ball, but 74 runs later!

Wood's 1 for 79 over 11.3 overs at a test economy rate of 6.86 runs per over is hardly one to picture and frame for the sports bar when retired!

With the tail only now coming in, England have to clean up the tail early today.

• Like 2

Australia 293/9 at drinks as the Umpires changes the ball. Lyon seems to be smacking it around from Wood too much for it to stay in shape. 😀

Wood has picked up 2 wickets this morning off short pitched deliveries (Cummins and Starc) but Carey and Lyon combined to smack 17 off one over including 2 sixes from Lyon!

Getting around 300, after being sent in, with bowler friendly conditions and 3/12 at one stage, is not good for England.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Boland 1/33 with England seven down in the first dig.

His test career average might go over 10.0 at this rate.

What surprised me was how much Boland was ready to have a go with the bat and how good he actually is.

Really enjoying that guy. Superb attitude. Fantastic skill.

Really wish he was English.

Oh dear God what am I saying? Back to the elephant polo for me!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Really enjoying that guy. Superb attitude. Fantastic skill.

Same here. I hope he goes on and on. A late bloomer and a real trier. Proof that everyone deserves their chance. Great to see him take it with both hands.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Same here. I hope he goes on and on. A late bloomer and a real trier. Proof that everyone deserves their chance. Great to see him take it with both hands.

Heard reports quite a few English County Teams are looking to sign him. Love the way he presents the seam of the ball. Great skill for other bowlers to learn.

Don't think he is afraid of much apart from missing a chance to play a game. Looks like a top bloke!

• Like 2

Interesting position at stumps. Australia finish at 3/73 after knocking England over for 188. The Aussies have confidence in Boland as he came in as the night watchman. Only scored 3 runs but faced 25 balls.

Is there no thing this man can do?

Leading by 152. This looks like one of those pitches that could go either way for a team with a bit of luck. Plenty still happening with the ball and the night session was not good sign for batting with 7 wickets in total going down (4 for England and 3 for Australia).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

Interesting position at stumps. Australia finish at 3/73 after knocking England over for 188. The Aussies have confidence in Boland as he came in as the night watchman. Only scored 3 runs but faced 25 balls.

Is there no thing this man can do?

Leading by 152. This looks like one of those pitches that could go either way for a team with a bit of luck. Plenty still happening with the ball and the night session was not good sign for batting with 7 wickets in total going down (4 for England and 3 for Australia).

Typical Hobart pitch. Over and over again one or two batsmen seem to handle it and very fortunately my home state Captain came to the rescue. If Travis can put together another good knock then another victory is not out of the question. English bowlers still not fully up to par but may have done enough to stay in touch.

Day 3 will be the decider (most likely). Sounds a tab sentimental but will miss Stuey Broad. I remember years ago when he was a mere lad working hard to break into the test side. Hope he does well in what may be his last swansong.

Playing Nostradamus it'll either be a draw or a close Aussie victory. As always loving the cricket.

• Like 3

Australia win and go 4-0 for the series. Disappointing batting from England in the end loosing 10 wickets for just 56 runs over the night session in only 22.5 overs.

Not a great test for the ages. The ending tonight was hardly unexpected after the speed of fall of wickets on both sides. One for the bowlers for sure and probably indicative of the pitch conditions caused by the inclement weather.

• Like 1

Well the good news is I couldn't lose here in this test match.

If England win then I can give it tight to my Aussie friends.

If Australia win then I can do the same to my English friends.

However I will say that everyone in England seems to be blaming the short game for the frankly unacceptable performance of the England team. This is wrong in my opinion and will only be rectified when the grass roots of the game is addressed. Kids are simply not being afforded the chance to play the game so the talent pool becomes shallow.

Also Root, as much as I like the guy and stand in awe of his batting prowess he should not be the captain. He is not aggressive enough. His field placing just seems weird at times. He is not cold and calculating. He seems to be following instructions rather than saying "This aint working I need to do something different". That is not the actions of a captain. Just take the pressure off the guy and let him go back to doing what he does best. Scoring runs.

What I will say though is that in each of these games a couple of England players have been outstanding. The problem appears to be getting all of them outstanding at the same place at the same time.

There is a fantastic performance in that England team. I just have no idea how to bring it out other than saying stop listening to the spreadsheet boys and just play the bloody game.

But of course I am forgetting the major reason why I enjoy cricket. So get this right up you ya Sassenach sods.

They Beat Me - YouTube

😁

• Like 2