The "Ashes" 2021/22

Smithydog

50 again for Joe Root today and then hung his bat out again. Sadly, another poor batting display. Ok, some got good balls but some were equally just poor play, lack of concentration, or skill.

With so little runs to play with, England need a big first session tomorrow to restrict the Aussies. Mark Wood impressed me in the short session as did Stokes. Quicker pitch tomorrow and could see some fireworks happening.

But can England hold onto their chances. Aussies were really good in the field again today. England need the same commitment.

• Like 3

Australia well poised at 61/1. What odds the two worst batters in the line up (Harris and Lyon) getting a 50 partnership on day two?

Harris a majestic 20 not out, easily his second best score of the series. Things looking ominous for England.

• Like 3

Last ball of Day 2. Captain Cummins ball in hand, England 27/4, England captain Root on strike, 4 slips in, the crowd baying for more blood.

I’m on board now with having a fast bowler as captain. Really adds to the drama.

And now 31-4. Geez. Another 5-0 series?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Last ball of Day 2. Captain Cummins ball in hand, England 27/4, England captain Root on strike, 4 slips in, the crowd baying for more blood.

I’m on board now with having a fast bowler as captain. Really adds to the drama.

And now 31-4. Geez. Another 5-0 series?

Still think draw or narrow victory as Root and Stokes can steady the ship but should those two get out cheaply then another hammering is on the cards. really proud of our bowlers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

Still think draw or narrow victory as Root and Stokes can steady the ship but should those two get out cheaply then another hammering is on the cards. really proud of our bowlers.

You are a rare conciliatory Aussie @mickkotlarskiand credit to to you. Day 3 at the Colosseum tomorrow and Aussie bowlers are the lions. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Root will probably get yet another half century then he will try and force the pace and end up getting himself dismissed playing another unnecessary stroke.

Stokes is a disappointment for me. 

IF Root had someone like Gooch or please God Cook to partner up with then we might be looking at a different story but the English batting is simply not up to scratch. 

The bowling (now they are tossing a decent length) has improved though.

I take no joy in these comments. I truly wanted to see a decent competition in this test. 

• Like 2

It was a lethal last hour with the ball for the Aussie bowlers. Starc so close to a hat-trick!

It was a better display by the English bowlers. Thought Wood was exceptional at times and Anderson his usual self. Would have been nice to see Anderson get his 5 for and get his name on the MCG board but Wood deserved his wicket. He was very unlucky at times and was a clear point if difference from the Adelaide bowling team.

Saw an interesting graphic, I saw today on the telecast. I think the English coach needs to get his hands on if he can. It showed 60% of the balls bowled by the Aussies were in the good zone whilst England had only 20% with the bulk of their balls in the short area. Telling picture as to how much better the new ball was being used by the Aussies.

All round a good first 5 hours for the Poms after the nasty Covid-19 scare first up. But again the batters are struggling against a fierce attack from Australia.

• Like 3

Great start for the Aussies. Stokes out and can get a look at the tail with another 2 wickets. Joe Root the last major obstacle. Interesting day coming up.

• Like 2

Just switched on the TV with my coffee. Looking forward to another day of cricket.

England 67/9… What the devil? The match will be over before the coffee is cold.

• Like 2

Wow!!

What a bowling performance by Scott Boland. England must be shell shocked after that.

I was just checking to see if Australia won back or retained the The Ashes and saw someone has already updated Wikipedia!

Australia retained the Ashes in the 2021-22 Ashes series, after Scott Boland achieved the third best bowling figures in the history of Australian cricket at 6-7 (4 overs).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

• Like 3

I really dont see where England go from here.

I am trying to find some positives but failing. Root is a good batsman. But we already knew that. England has a reasonable bowling attack WHEN they bowl a good length.

Thats it. Thats all I can come up with. The teams performance is simply not good enough especially with bat in hand.

I cant stop thinking that Australia scored only 267 and still won with an innings to spare.

Oh well. Back to watching the elephant polo for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I really dont see where England go from here.

I am trying to find some positives but failing. Root is a good batsman. But we already knew that. England has a reasonable bowling attack WHEN they bowl a good length.

Thats it. Thats all I can come up with. The teams performance is simply not good enough especially with bat in hand.

I cant stop thinking that Australia scored only 267 and still won with an innings to spare.

Oh well. Back to watching the elephant polo for me.

No doubt England need some radical changes. But it is a sign of what county cricket has become as the quality has dropped simply as many up and coming players are seeking riches on the T20 worldwide network.

Experienced internationals now play less seasons of county cricket as well for the same reasons and hence experience building an innings over the longer game format has dropped off as well. 

Are some of the batsmen trying to be too clever and get "settled in" rather than just playing what their natural game has become? The bowlers seem to find it far easier to adapt to the change in playing types as they bowl less variety and now just bowl to a fixed plan or off stump line. They bowl for longer as well allowing them to constantly build on their practice and skills in real life game play.

But for batters, one mistake and you are out! Adapting your style to get settled in increases the risks and as soon as you are out you loose the game play. It seems a vicious cycle for them and I am not surprised when so many seem to enjoy the freedom that T20 gives them.

Joe Root is of the older style. Seasoned in county cricket first class matches and then brought into the test team. He finds batting in tests probably more to his liking as he has the character that the skill needs. England need to find more like him and less of the one that thrive in the T20s. Unless more incentive is given to the first class matches, I don't see how they can. 

I also think they should use the Kookaburra ball more often. The Duke ball swings too much giving the bowlers too many chances and not making them work hard for their wickets. Mixing it up a bit may help the skills for both batters and bowlers.

• Like 2

Much prefer a close fought series that ideally goes down to the last Test.  Most England players clearly did not want to travel for the Ashe for 4 months, and it was only at the minute that they sorted out the Covid rules and restrictions. Even as late as October the details had not been sorted out, and there was discontent within the England camp about going. 10 players had publicly indicated that they could pull out of the tour because of the Covid restrictions and issues.  There was a lot of pressure applied by ECB and CA for the tour to take place.  Even the Australian PM stated at one point that there would be no exceptions to the Covid rules about family members. 

England's best player (Stokes) had to leave his family behind, and had not played any cricket since June 2020.  Both Anderson and Broad were clearly not match ready and are 'going through the motions'. Root is clearly out of form - so much pressure on the England Captain for over 6 months - no wonder he cannot perform.  10 of the total squad had never played a Test in Australia. It seems obvious to me that many England players didnt really want to be here, and with Omicron blowing up after their arrival, I am sure that has added to their discontent and worry - both about being here, but also what is happening back home in the UK. 

With all those previous goings on, and things like that on day 1 of the 2nd Test the entire English team was taken away and tested before they could go into the Ground, no wonder they are performing badly. How can anyone play elite level cricket (the hardest sport in the world) against the best team in the world, on their home soil, on their wickets, with only a few family members locked away in a resort, with no supporters, and all the other khrapp they have gone through. 

Michael Vaughan said it would be a disaster back in July, and he has been proven right - it should have been delayed/cancelled.  But Cricket Australia desperately needed the Ashes to take place - it is their main source of funds - cancellation would have cost them over $200 million.  For the first time in a long time I have not watched much of the Ashes - it was obvious in the first Test what was going to happen - and I wont be watching much of any other 'Tests' either. 

By the time the new Ashes series in England takes place, the English players will be better and more committed and hopefully the cricket will be worth watching (again). Anderson and Broad both had injuries at the start of the tour and they were clearly not ready. Anderson has got into form, but Broad is 'waddling' - if they get fit and ready then the next Ashes in England could be their swan song, and they will want to finish on a high.  Archer would have made a difference here as he is clearly their best and fastest bowler - but without him coming the wickets have clearly been prepared for the Australian fast bowlers. Cummings might do well in UK as lefties often do well there against Aus - as long as the ball swings and seams. Mahmood might be ready by then too - good decision not to bring him - too early.  Burns is on his last chance I reckon, but IMO he should be batting at 4/5.  Malan has done OK - another opener and 3 is needed. England also needs is decent mid-order after Root - Bairstow is not Test quality on hard fast wickets - a good mid order (5 and 6) can turn 3/50 into 250+ and 3/200 into 400+ (quickly). Easy to fix 😁

• Like 3

It's a sign of the times when Adam Gilchrist says "Come on England!" while commentating. When questioned by his co-commentators, he said (sincerely), "I  want to see a contest, so I'm going for England today".

• Like 2

England have played 15 tests this year (more than any other country), for a record of 4 wins, 9 losses and 2 draws. Not a great year by any measure! They won just 1 test out of 6 played at home. So it seems they have had more practice than any other team in the world.

Joe Root has had to carry the team throughout much of that time. The testament to his record is the runs he has scored. Too often the lone figure. It is simply too much burden for one person to carry and his performance is a testament to his skills and most of all, his character.

New blood is needed and yes they have missed Archer on this tour. But the have equally made poor selection decisions and their catching has been horrendous at times. Some players have been around the test side for long enough and some of the veterans have gone missing far too often.

• Like 3

Bit gutted today as Travis Head has tested covid positive. Fortunately it is just omicron and Travis remains asymptomatic and will be OK for the Hobart test but will miss out on Sydney. Back up available though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Bit gutted today as Travis Head has tested covid positive. Fortunately it is just omicron and Travis remains asymptomatic and will be OK for the Hobart test but will miss out on Sydney. Back up available though.

Who's coming in for him? Mitchell Marsh I would imagine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Who's coming in for him? Mitchell Marsh I would imagine.

Still undecided as Khwaja, Mitch Marsh and Joshy Inglis are all lined up as replacements. Should get an idea next week. Be good to see Marsh get the chance.

• Like 2

OK I honestly hope the English team come into the next test with a positive outlook. They have nothing to lose any more. Stop listening to the backroom guys.

If they win the toss then bat. The batsmen need to loosen their shoulders and start being more aggressive. If the delivery is even slightly short then get after it. Come down the wicket and hit the damned thing.

Yes you might get bowled out and god knows the Aussie bowlers can do that but as things stand you are going to get out anyway.

If you are fielding go after them. Set an aggressive field and GET the damned bowlers to aim for the stumps.

Again the Aussie Batsmen might take the piss and knock you around as if you are a rag doll.

But in either scenario at least you had a go.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

OK I honestly hope the English team come into the next test with a positive outlook. They have nothing to lose any more. Stop listening to the backroom guys.

If they win the toss then bat. The batsmen need to loosen their shoulders and start being more aggressive. If the delivery is even slightly short then get after it. Come down the wicket and hit the damned thing.

Yes you might get bowled out and god knows the Aussie bowlers can do that but as things stand you are going to get out anyway.

If you are fielding go after them. Set an aggressive field and GET the damned bowlers to aim for the stumps.

Again the Aussie Batsmen might take the piss and knock you around as if you are a rag doll.

But in either scenario at least you had a go.

Well put RS. I'm feeling sorry for the poms. Bit shocked about the last test though, it shows a dejected side even though they do have talent and skill. Best thing sometimes when in poor form is to play your way back into form. 

Another few days and we'll see what transpires.

Thank you for the comments and happy new year.

• Like 2

Will we have a full Sydney test?

Between Covid-19 and rain forecasts it will be interesting to see what is anything happens in Sydney!

I see Michael Vaughan was saying it would have been better to stay in Melbourne and play the 4th test there as a day/night game. Considering the issues in Sydney at the moment, it would be a big call but also possibly the right one as well.

Who will be able to play and how much will get played seems to be a daily changing piece of news.

• Like 3

One forced change from the Melbourne test for Australia with Usman Khawaja coming in for Travis Head, side-lined because of Covid-19 protocols.

Hazelwood and Richardson still not considered 100% fit and have not been included. No extra front-line spinner included as pitch assessed as more seam bowler friendly than spin and with the likelihood of rain and humidity for much of the test. Boland retained accordingly.

For spin options, Australia will rely on Lyons, even though surprisingly the SCG is not a good venue for him, and the part time spin of Steve Smith and Marnus Labuschagne.

Australia XI: Marcus Harris, David Warner, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Usman Khawaja, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Scott Boland

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Smithydog said:

One forced change from the Melbourne test for Australia with Usman Khawaja coming in for Travis Head, side-lined because of Covid-19 protocols.

Hazelwood and Richardson still not considered 100% fit and have not been included. No extra front-line spinner included as pitch assessed as more seam bowler friendly than spin and with the likelihood of rain and humidity for much of the test. Boland retained accordingly.

For spin options, Australia will rely on Lyons, even though surprisingly the SCG is not a good venue for him, and the part time spin of Steve Smith and Marnus Labuschagne.

Australia XI: Marcus Harris, David Warner, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Usman Khawaja, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Scott Boland

Good to see Boland retained and Khawaja in. I’m unfortunately working every day until Sunday (day 5). I’m not confident I’ll be watching any cricket that day 🙁🏏

Hopefully we’ll see more of a contest though.

• Like 1

Well we are off and running in the fourth test in Sydney. Delayed start by 30 minutes due to morning rain and looks like it could be one of those off/on sort of days and passing showers forecasted. Looks that way for most of the week and probably why the "draw" odds are so short Rated at a probability of 65.2%).

Some surprisingly good odds for an Australian win at 13/5. Bookmakers look like they are only providing a market for the English win (rated at 9.1% chance) because they have to. Shortest odds there are 17/2!

More grass than normal on the SCG wicket. Australia have won the toss and decided to bat. Last report they were 0/30 off 12.3 overs, but already off because of rain.

England have made one change bringing in Broad for Robinson. Thought they might experiment a bit and blood a few others. Little to gain but pride and test experience as the series already lost. They really can't do much worse than the last test innings so why not give some others the chance to practice and experience the Australian conditions, especially with a draw the most likely outcome.

• Like 3