The "Ashes" 2021/22

Smithydog

5 hours ago, Smithydog said:

I have no idea why they persist with him. What value does he bring to the team. 

Its the one position that cannot be filled for the time being. The other openers in the Sheffield Shield are either injured (Matty Wilkes), past their prime (Travis Dean), too young (Henry Hunt) or out of form (Joe Burns). Harris was the best choice at the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Its the one position that cannot be filled for the time being. The other openers in the Sheffield Shield are either injured (Matty Wilkes), past their prime (Travis Dean), too young (Henry Hunt) or out of form (Joe Burns). Harris was the best choice at the time.

Why can’t they bring in Khawaja to open? Mind you, I’m happy with the Aussies to persist with Harris. If they get rid of him, I’ve no chance of winning back any beers from you Mick 😁

• Haha 2

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FGucl-TWUAUyivN?format=jpg&name=small

That is shocking bowling. Virtually no variation at all and the vast majority way too short.

That might work at a county level but no way is that working against Australia in the ashes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

That is shocking bowling. Virtually no variation at all and the vast majority way too short.

That might work at a county level but no way is that working against Australia in the ashes.

Missing stumps 95%??? Labuschagne will leave those all day. Best test batsman in the world at the moment for mine.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Missing stumps 95%??? Labuschagne will leave those all day. Best test batsman in the world at the moment for mine.

Thing is you could have tried that line of attack for 20 or 30 overs and if its bringing no joy start trying something else. Introduce some variation into the attack. Mix it up a bit. But that many short balls gives the batsman plenty of time to see the ball coming.

As for the fantastic Labuschagne leaving them? Some of those would have been impossible to reach even for him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If they are bowling to a plan, then not sure it is working other than containing the runs. If it is only about containment Smith and Labuschagne seem to me to be quite happy to just let the bowlers tire out.

Definitely pitching too short for Adelaide.

• Like 3

Australia declares at 9/473 after some big hitting by Starc, Neser and Richardson. Carey got his first 50 as well. Both Smith and Warner out in the 90s. 

England have already lost Burns though he did improve on his first innings in Brisbane as he lasted 3 balls this time!

England batting under lights so it will be interesting to see the how the newer boys go with their bowling.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

England have already lost Burns though he did improve on his first innings in Brisbane as he lasted 3 balls this time!

England batting under lights so it will be interesting to see the how the newer boys go with their bowling.

Been watching all afternoon while a storm rages outside. How many England wickets will fall before the close of play?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Been watching all afternoon while a storm rages outside. How many England wickets will fall before the close of play?

Actually one more. Great day for my fellas. Good to see Alex Carey get his first half century but felt for both Warner and Smith. Getting out in the 90's is vexing to say the least.

I think England can make a fight of it yet but things looking good for Australia.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

Australia declares at 9/473 after some big hitting by Starc, Neser and Richardson. Carey got his first 50 as well. Both Smith and Warner out in the 90s. 

Of major interest to me is how Joe Root and Ben Stokes respond when walking to the crease. Should they go cheaply then I think Australia have the second test in firm control. Interesting day coming up Smithy.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Bit surprised with the Pommy bowling. Short pitched deliveries give some bite but can't bowl a side out especially on the Adelaide oval pitch. I'm South Aussie myself and have been watching the Sheffield Shield since I was too short to look over the kitchen counter. Bowl fuller pitch and give yourself a chance. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Bit surprised with the Pommy bowling. Short pitched deliveries give some bite but can't bowl a side out especially on the Adelaide oval pitch. I'm South Aussie myself and have been watching the Sheffield Shield since I was too short to look over the kitchen counter. Bowl fuller pitch and give yourself a chance. 

The more I think about it the first days bowling just has "spreadsheet analysis" all over it.

How have previous wickets here been taken? However there lies a trap. A wicket is taken in various circumstances. If a batsman has been forced to defend his stumps constantly, hes going to be nervous, worried about LBW or indeed nicking the ball to a slip or keeper, simply being bowled out or even stumped.  Suddenly a short ball rears up on him hes not ready for it. Hence he may caught out. But on a spreadsheet it will look like if you bowl short balls you get results.

Now the converse is true to a lesser extent. Bowl shorter so the batsman starts to worry about his personal welfare and suddenly put one onto his bootlaces. But against some of the best batsmen in the world? They are used to this. They will not fluster easily. 

But what you dont do is bowl the same attack constantly.

p.s. This is my own personal theory and may be a load of shite. But I like it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To give you an idea of how good Root is this is the list of the number of runs made in a calendar year.

1788 - Mohammad Yousuf (2006)
1710 - Viv Richards (1976)
1656 - Graeme Smith (2008)
1595 - Michael Clarke (2012)
1563* - Joe Root (2021)
1562 - Sachin Tendulkar (2010)

Its actually now out of date because Root has just passed the great Michael Clarke.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

And seconds after I post that Root is out.

Sorry mate my fault. 

Australia will win by 200 runs. At least that only costs me one beer, but probably should be an extra beer as a penalty. 🤔

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Australia will win by 200 runs. At least that only costs me one beer, but probably should be an extra beer as a penalty. 🤔

Yeah I killed that game. So I will buy the extra beer.

You understand what this does to my Scottish chromosomes though aye? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

England seem to have steadied the ship.

Well done them.

The middle order fired but at stumps Australia have a 282 run lead with 9 wickets in hand. If our fellas can score a decent 200 odd by late tomorrow then a possible victory looms. Never underestimate the Poms though. Could easily end up a draw.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah I killed that game. So I will buy the extra beer.

You understand what this does to my Scottish chromosomes though aye? 

I have quite a few Scottish chromosomes as well my friend so I’m well aware of the issues there 😁

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Never underestimate the Poms though. Could easily end up a draw.

Mick, you are one of the kindest, most diplomatic men I know.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BigHewer said:

England making steady progress on 152/6. Just 316 more runs to win..

All over bar the shouting. The middle order gave a glimmer of hope for the tourists but the homeland goes 2 nil up.

My pick for Melbourne is a draw or narrow Aussie victory. Feel for Joe Root though. A good captain that walked into the lions den.  Still though very happy to see our boys perform well.

• Like 2