News Forum - PM Prayut insists no plans to drop face-mask requirement in Thailand

Thaiger

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

That's a made up story to back a point up if I've ever heard one

Each to their own but its obvious that wearing a mask outside and compulsory covid insurance will influence the decisions of tourists destinations.

Some won't be bothered but others will look at alternative options, not because they're drama queen's, but because they have a choice of where to go and what they're willing to put up with.

Due to the fact most Europeans and Americans won't have worn a mask or even talked about covid for months now why would we want to go to a country full of drama queen's who wear masks and are still gripped by an irrational fear that the rest of the world's left behind?

Drama Queen right there! 

But if you’re willing to put money on it I can send you the text he sent me timed at 08:06 this morning ? I’ll even donate it to charity. 

(Because for the vast majority of adults it’s just not an issue) - I’m yet to see anyone ‘gripped by fear’ (drama queenesque) but as a courtesy I will look out for one. 

Most people come for the beaches, no mask, restaurants, no mask, bars, no masks, Pu and Oiy spitting ping pong balls with unerring accuracy, no mask - pop into 7-11 for your acne cream - mask. Can you see the Drama Queen angle ? 

22 minutes ago, Benroon said:

I would love to see the actual figures! 

But tell anyone at home you’re going to Thailand and you’ll get that nudge nudge wink wink look every time ! There’s a reason for that (I’m told!) 

People who react like that are small minded idiots IMO. Most of the people that I know who come regularly to Thailand are married couples or younger people coming for an experience and beach holiday.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Drama Queen right there! 

But if you’re willing to put money on it I can send you the text he sent me timed at 08:06 this morning ? I’ll even donate it to charity. 

(Because for the vast majority of adults it’s just not an issue) - I’m yet to see anyone ‘gripped by fear’ (drama queenesque) but as a courtesy I will look out for one. 

Most people come for the beaches, no mask, restaurants, no mask, bars, no masks, Pu and Oiy spitting ping pong balls with unerring accuracy, no mask - pop into 7-11 for your acne cream - mask. Can you see the Drama Queen angle ? 

Aye I'm looking right at it. 

Fact of the matter is the official rules will influence people's decisions regardless of what's actually happening on the ground. 

Tourists that see the Thai government state masks and insurance are mandatory will likely look for easier options especially if a family.

Others will think sod it and go anyway and take there chances but restrictions will be a factor 

If Thailand drops all restrictions as per pre covid do you not think that'll persuade more people to come?

It seems obvious to me

BTW I'm in the sod it I'll go anyway camp but many more will think twice

Edited by JohnC

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Each to their own but its obvious that wearing a mask outside and compulsory covid insurance will influence the decisions of tourists destinations

It might do but the cost of insurance coverage is so low now that I doubt it and you have to look so hard to find out about the mask requirement that I don’t think it will be a significant factor and anyone who looks into it will not find evidence of outdoor mask requirements being enforced . Thailand is not competing with places like Spain but is a destination for more adventurous travelers who are prepared to spend significantly more time and money to travel on holiday so an extra £15 for insurance is unlikely to be a deal breaker. They will most likely have to wear masks on the flight anyway. Most other destinations in the region require masks indoors anyway. I would have thought that the weak pound and strong Baht were more off putting than any other factor at the moment. In fact some friends who visited Phuket recently from UK only commented that prices were higher than expected but didn’t comment on masks at all.

5 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

It might do but the cost of insurance coverage is so low now that I doubt it and you have to look so hard to find out about the mask requirement that I don’t think it will be a significant factor and anyone who looks into it will not find evidence of outdoor mask requirements being enforced . Thailand is not competing with places like Spain but is a destination for more adventurous travelers who are prepared to spend significantly more time and money to travel on holiday so an extra £15 for insurance is unlikely to be a deal breaker. They will most likely have to wear masks on the flight anyway. Most other destinations in the region require masks indoors anyway. I would have thought that the weak pound and strong Baht were more off putting than any other factor at the moment. In fact some friends who visited Phuket recently from UK only commented that prices were higher than expected but didn’t comment on masks at all.

The thing with the insurance for me is I already have extensive cover for everything. I don't need a Thai one. Yes it's small change for me but again its extra costs a family of four don't need so yes that will influence there decision also. 

I'm not saying people won't come but many more will when all restrictions are officially dropped and not what the man on the street is saying 

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

One is an imaginary holiday and the other is a very very cheap alternative. 🤣

Different markets not in competition. Bulgaria is competing with places like Benidorm and Majorca. Cheap and close to home.  

Just now, JohnC said:

The thing with the insurance for me is I already have extensive cover for everything. I don't need a Thai one. Yes it's small change for me but again its extra costs a family of four don't need so yes that will influence there decision also. 

I'm not saying people won't come but many more will when all restrictions are officially dropped and not what the man on the street is saying 

You don’t need a Thai policy just one that covers you for Covid in Thailand.

I agree with your last paragraph but that applies to the whole world. Some countries are requiring booster jabs now including some European countries so travel is still more complicated than it used to be and will be much more attractive when there are no Covid related requirements. My friend recently travelled to USA and had to do an ATK witnessed by someone in USA over zoom so it’s not a perfect time to travel. Other countries like Vietnam also require insurance so it’s not just Thailand.

56 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Most people come for the beaches, no mask, restaurants, no mask, bars, no masks, Pu and Oiy spitting ping pong balls with unerring accuracy, no mask - pop into 7-11 for your acne cream - mask. 

That is the most inaccurate uninformed statement that anyone has made on this thread IMO.

5 hours ago, stapoz said:

In Europe, we have not been using masks anywhere for 3 months. Before that, masks were only required in stores and public transport, and never outside. We are still alive.

I believe that Europe is a continent not a country and every country had its own Covid measures not even standardized across the EU. There are 100ks of people that aren’t alive including a lot of peoples family members, especially older ones, who died prematurely so I wouldn’t diminish the seriousness of the problem TBH

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

You don’t need a Thai policy just one that covers you for Covid in Thailand.

I agree with your last paragraph but that applies to the whole world. Some countries are requiring booster jabs now including some European countries so travel is still more complicated than it used to be and will be much more attractive when there are no Covid related requirements. My friend recently travelled to USA and had to do an ATK witnessed by someone in USA over zoom so it’s not a perfect time to travel. Other countries like Vietnam also require insurance so it’s not just Thailand.

Mate you've obviously not been in Europe or the UK for a while. 

Boosters were all over six months ago and it's a piece of piss to travel anywhere in Europe right now. No tests no masks no nothing. You don't even have to prove you've been vaccinated.

Hence the UK airports being jam packed at the moment and cities like Amsterdam or places like Spain booming again. 

When Thailand eventually give up controlling people and get to the stage that Europe and America are at then Thailand will become booming again but not before

Thanks for the info regarding the insurance. Hadn't looked into it too much but good to know. Personally I'm hoping it'll all be irrelevant by the time I go. 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Boosters were all over six months ago and it's a piece of piss to travel anywhere in Europe right now. No tests no masks no nothing. You don't even have to prove you've been vaccinated.

Hence the UK airports being jam packed at the moment and cities like Amsterdam or places like Spain booming again. 

When Thailand eventually give up controlling people and get to the stage that Europe and America are at then Thailand will become booming again but not before

Thanks for the info regarding the insurance. Hadn't looked into it too much but good to know. Personally I'm hoping it'll all be irrelevant by the time I go. 

Things are getting easier not worse so hopefully all restrictions gone soon. I understand that I am not up to date with European requirements apart from UK but it’s not restriction free in all countries worldwide. Example US and NZ require testing and Malaysia requires downloading and activation of a tracking app ( Thailand already dropped that requirement). The fact is that travel is still complicated by Covid in general and each country will drop requirements according to their own decisions. I understand that number of visitors to Thailand is ramping up rapidly now that requirements are being relaxed so hopefully things will be approaching normality ASAP

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The control isn’t going to be given up for some time. It’s obvious the government has no serious intention in boosting tourism. The economy looks like it’s heading into a recession and rather than doing everything possible to boost tourism they drag their feet. 

You absolutely have to wear a mask in public in Bangkok even though it does nothing. 

And that’s not to mention the dozen people who sat near someone with monkey pox who have been detained, err quarantined, for I guess 21 days. If you’re American or European, I’d advise don’t plan a winter holiday to Thailand as they have no commitment to reasonable measures.  

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, JJJ said:

The control isn’t going to be given up for some time. It’s obvious the government has no serious intention in boosting tourism. The economy looks like it’s heading into a recession and rather than doing everything possible to boost tourism they drag their feet. 

You absolutely have to wear a mask in public in Bangkok even though it does nothing. 

And that’s not to mention the dozen people who sat near someone with monkey pox who have been detained, err quarantined, for I guess 21 days. If you’re American or European, I’d advise don’t plan a winter holiday to Thailand as they have no commitment to reasonable measures.  

I really hope that you are wrong but guess we'll have to wait and see

What I'll never understand is the Thai government. They must sit there looking at figures etc and wonder why is the rest of the world travelling but not coming to Thailand when the answer is staring them in the face. 

Guess your right about not wanting to give up power or control and its made all the more easier for them by Thais and foreigners who live there obeying their orders

I'm still going to chance it for the high season myself 

11 hours ago, Metoo said:

Let's be clear about this. 

There is no law about the need to wear masks.....period. 

You cannot be fined for not wearing one......period. 

Screenshot_20220521-204359_Outlook.jpg

Hi Metoo. Smartest post I read was going back to the emergency decree. Now unless this has been lifted or has went bye bye, then this is where and how the crow will need to be careful when letting out a cocka-doodle-doo. Honestly I really could care less on the mask thing as it just doesn't effect me hard enough anymore here in CM or when I travel about domestically. Well may be a little bit it does with my chirps on my crow kaw.

So in reality for here, it is not enforced now for even any part for the the most part, but it does does make a belligerent chest banger sort look like an idiot for the most part. Who cares? And honestly I grew up as one who was resist and desist kind of guy of buck the system kind of as I would say, a Grateful Dead Head hippy all around concert goer for all major bands in my teens to all into my early twenties then turned semi pro musican gigging and playing everywhere from frat houses to bars, clubs, weddings, to large large night clubs.

I just don't get the folk who are acting like their lives are messed up or impailed with having no freedom.

Now, if you made it mandatory that I had to wear one of these, then I can say I am totally on the page of anti. I am more not with tatoos than I am about put a mask on. But that is me, but to each their own, but i just do not want to hear whining turds of it being either from the left or the right both priledged sides. I have bigger things to address rather than a mak issue that is in reality not an issue here. Mole hill out of an ant hill if you aske me.

image.jpeg.5a44b9792ed3db4c60c1af12708593a4.jpegimage.jpeg.93ff46552a98ff32620d0e5a2771c476.jpegimage.jpeg.ab4b363688736ed427998f2775614d1e.jpeg

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

I would love to see the actual figures! 

But tell anyone at home you’re going to Thailand and you’ll get that nudge nudge wink wink look every time ! There’s a reason for that (I’m told!) 

And then many of the uneducated and not internationally travelled will think it’s a Vietnam like place and Bangkok still half a jungle. Those jungle years of great fun have been in decline for years now. Patpong not even a smidgen of its glory 30 - 20 yrs back I as same as Sukhumvit the fading red globe Disneyland Woa street. But hey, there realistically is still the One night in Bangkok that can be found. But that ends just past 1 or 2 now. 

• Like 1

I have recently returned from Thailand and had no great issues with wearing a mask.

I travelled to Bangkok, Hua Hin and Krabi

When you walk on the street and in shopping malls - wear a mask

Go into a shop or 7/11 - wear a mask

Sit down to eat at a restaurant/café - take mask off

Sit down to have a beer - take mask off

I did forget to put my mask on a few times and did not have any issues, I even completed some shopping in a 7/11 in Bangkok and as I walked out I realised that I didn't have my mask on. Not one word or dirty look from anyone.

In Ao Nang (Krabi) most people walking around did not have masks on and as soon as you sit down anywhere masks were off anyway.

As I said, I have no problem wearing a mask if that's what is required but personally I would prefer to not have to.

It is still a requirement in most airports so if you can wear a mask for 12+hrs straight to get somewhere, wearing a mask for short periods getting to a restaurant or bar is not really a big deal IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

I really hope that you are wrong but guess we'll have to wait and see

What I'll never understand is the Thai government. They must sit there looking at figures etc and wonder why is the rest of the world travelling but not coming to Thailand when the answer is staring them in the face. 

Guess your right about not wanting to give up power or control and its made all the more easier for them by Thais and foreigners who live there obeying their orders

I'm still going to chance it for the high season myself 

They have convinced themselves they’ve done a good job based on ALL of Southeast Asia being spared in 2020. It’s the only thing that even they believe they did well. Obviously in late 2021 and 2022 all of Asia went through huge waves.

Thailand’s wave was just as bad as all of them but they played with the numbers and excluded huge proportions of tests. In all likelihood 65% of the population has had covid in the past year but they don’t even take the minimal time to do sample testing to estimate that number.  

It’s obvious they’re trying to delay it but an election is coming soon.  They don’t want to do anything to jeopardize their COVID record even though their rules are based on superstition rather than science. Based on Bangkok governor election, COVID won’t save them  

They only pay lip service to promoting tourism. I don’t think they actually care at all  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

I have recently returned from Thailand and had no great issues with wearing a mask.

I did forget to put my mask on a few times and did not have any issues, I even completed some shopping in a 7/11 in Bangkok and as I walked out I realised that I didn't have my mask on. Not one word or dirty look from anyone.

In Ao Nang (Krabi) most people walking around did not have masks on and as soon as you sit down anywhere masks were off anyway.

As I said, I have no problem wearing a mask if that's what is required but personally I would prefer to not have to.

It is still a requirement in most airports so if you can wear a mask for 12+hrs straight to get somewhere, wearing a mask for short periods getting to a restaurant or bar is not really a big deal IMO.

Who wears a mask on a plane for 12 hours? I’m very thirsty and we know you can’t get covid when you have a drink in your hand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, JohnC said:

That's a made up story to back a point up if I've ever heard one

Each to their own but its obvious that wearing a mask outside and compulsory covid insurance will influence the decisions of tourists destinations.

Some won't be bothered but others will look at alternative options, not because they're drama queen's, but because they have a choice of where to go and what they're willing to put up with.

Due to the fact most Europeans and Americans won't have worn a mask or even talked about covid for months now why would we want to go to a country full of drama queen's who wear masks and are still gripped by an irrational fear that the rest of the world's left behind?

Exactly. Common sense. I do not even understand why some continue to argue with that.

5 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

Good for you, if that's fine with you. But you are not the people, just one person. Most people will not choose a destination like you described for their 2/3 weeks yearly holidays since they can choose another one amongst dozens of them. And that's the point, tourists coming back or not to Thailand, not individual stories of people who are fine with the mask (I live in Thailand and never wear that stupid thing, there you have another indvidual story).

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

Aye I'm looking right at it. 

Fact of the matter is the official rules will influence people's decisions regardless of what's actually happening on the ground. 

Tourists that see the Thai government state masks and insurance are mandatory will likely look for easier options especially if a family.

Others will think sod it and go anyway and take there chances but restrictions will be a factor 

If Thailand drops all restrictions as per pre covid do you not think that'll persuade more people to come?

It seems obvious to me

BTW I'm in the sod it I'll go anyway camp but many more will think twice

Undoubtedly more will come, I was merely emphasising IMO the DQ’s always like to overdo the Thailand is doomed angle.

They’re like those bugs that drill into a hosts body and eat it from the inside due primarily because the western privileges (only stored in their own heads) that they believe should be dolled out to them aren’t happening. 

17 hours ago, Stevejm said:

People who react like that are small minded idiots IMO. Most of the people that I know who come regularly to Thailand are married couples or younger people coming for an experience and beach holiday.

Don’t disagree but Thailands reputation as a sex pests haven isn’t going to disappear in our lifetimes. 

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

They have convinced themselves they’ve done a good job based on ALL of Southeast Asia being spared in 2020. It’s the only thing that even they believe they did well. Obviously in late 2021 and 2022 all of Asia went through huge waves.

SE Asia was spared in 2020 because they took decisive action when Western countries were in denial. Trump was playing it down as being no worse than a common cold and Boris didn’t want to take drastic action because he preferred to rely on people using their common sense. 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/14/thailand-malaysia-vietnam-how-some-countries-kept-covid-at-bay

29 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Don’t disagree but Thailands reputation as a sex pests haven isn’t going to disappear in our lifetimes. 

It will change over time. For example every time a married couple come here for a beach holiday they return home with a different perspective on Thailand and that perspective is passed on to their circle of friends/family and perceptions gradually change. It takes time but it will happen. 

24 minutes ago, Transam said:

How do you know that "most people will not choose a .................'' that's a guess....🤔

Correct. Note that he says that he lives here but never wears that stupid thing. That means that he never goes into a 7-11 and most likely nobody goes near him. That’s a very strange way to live. Anyway most people in Europe won’t be able to afford to travel as far as Thailand for a holiday and aren’t adventurous enough to try it anyway . Thailand isn’t competing with European destinations for visitors and anyone who is looking to travel this far from home will have to contend with indoor mask mandates in most regional countries anyway.

Edited by Stevejm