News Forum - PM Prayut insists no plans to drop face-mask requirement in Thailand

Thaiger

14 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

SE Asia was spared in 2020 because they took decisive action when Western countries were in denial. Trump was playing it down as being no worse than a common cold and Boris didn’t want to take drastic action because he preferred to rely on people using their common sense. 
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/14/thailand-malaysia-vietnam-how-some-countries-kept-covid-at-bay

You're correct here.

But once Omicron arrived, this all changed.

The public health restrictions became ineffective everywhere, and the waves came through regardless if you had no restrictions ( Sweden)  or full restrictions ( S Korea, Taiwan now). 

Now vaccines and treatments are available, it's time for these measures to all end, as they're no longer doing anything measurable from a health perspective. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

I really hope that you are wrong but guess we'll have to wait and see

What I'll never understand is the Thai government. They must sit there looking at figures etc and wonder why is the rest of the world travelling but not coming to Thailand when the answer is staring them in the face. 

Guess your right about not wanting to give up power or control and its made all the more easier for them by Thais and foreigners who live there obeying their orders

I'm still going to chance it for the high season myself 

Is it true that people are choosing other places over Thailand? It’s hard to measure that on a legitimate basis. For example people in UK are more likely to holiday in Europe than Thailand because it’s cheap and close by. For travellers from UK I would have thought that the weak £ and strong THB would be a bigger issue than say masks. 

Edited by Stevejm
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Is it true that people are choosing other places over Thailand? It’s hard to measure that on a legitimate basis. For example people in UK are more likely to holiday in Europe than Thailand because it’s cheap and close by. For travellers from UK I would have thought that the weak £ and strong THB would be a bigger issue than say masks. 

No. They aren't. Someone who uses the stupid excuse of having to wear a mask, was never serious about coming to Thailand anyway. There I've said it. Can we cease to even debate it now? Good, thanks. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Poolie said:

No. They aren't. Someone who uses the stupid excuse of having to wear a mask, was never serious about coming to Thailand anyway. There I've said it. Can we cease to even debate it now? Good, thanks. 😉

You're right everyone is still choosing to go to Thailand as backed up by the record number of tourists that have arrived 

Personally I'm torn between Thailand and Vietnam with the latter favourite at the moment.

I won't be the only one

1 hour ago, Stevejm said:

Europeans and the UK have been stuck at home for two years hence why we're all desperate to go on holiday

Most people, myself included, saved a fair few quid in that time 

I wouldn't go to Thailand in the rainy season so my summer is being spent City hopping around Europe. Amsterdam last month was busier than I've ever seen it even before covid and the Sterling to euro rate is shite 

Winter break at the moment is between Thailand and Vietnam but will wait to see what develops in them countries restrictions wise before making my mind up

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You're right everyone is still choosing to go to Thailand as backed up by the record number of tourists that have arrived 

True compared to last year😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Winter break at the moment is between Thailand and Vietnam but will wait to see what develops in them countries restrictions wise before making my mind up

That’s interesting. Only 2 candidates for a winter break? What about places like Malaysia, Philippines, Goa etc?

1 minute ago, Stevejm said:

That’s interesting. Only 2 candidates for a winter break? What about places like Malaysia, Philippines, Goa etc?

I've still got a flight in reserve for UK to Bangkok only that needs to be used in the next year so with the costs of flights going up I'm wanting to use that. 

I'd happily fly on to Vietnam or even Cambodia from there but would rather just be able to stay in Thailand if it gets back to what it used to be before covid

Philippines doesn't appeal to me for some reason and Malaysia can be expensive. Goa was great twenty years ago but I'm hearing its not like that anymore although you could say that about most places I suppose 

5 hours ago, Poolie said:

Not true, I want to go there for an initial six months and then get a 'retirement visa extension', but I don't want to go yet as I don't want to be wondering around in the heat wearing a mask.

The weather here in the UK is great at the moment, I can cycle, go anywhere I like without any restrictions or mask wearing, I will finally go to Thailand once the stupid mask wearing palaver is over. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Not true, I want to go there for an initial six months and then get a 'retirement visa extension', but I don't want to go yet as I don't want to be wondering around in the heat wearing a mask.

The weather here in the UK is great at the moment, I can cycle, go anywhere I like without any restrictions or mask wearing, I will finally go to Thailand once the stupid mask wearing palaver is over. 

One. The exception that proves the rule. What if mask wearing isn't ever discontinued?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Not true, I want to go there for an initial six months

What kind of visa can you do that on?

19 minutes ago, JamesR said:

The weather here in the UK is great at the moment, I can cycle, go anywhere I like without any restrictions or mask wearing, I will finally go to Thailand once the stupid mask wearing palaver is over

Don’t blame you. Out of interest would you have known about the Thailand mask requirement if you didn’t follow this forum?  ( I’m just curious as to how potential visitors would know about it because I don’t see it mentioned on the TP website, Thailand embassy website or uk foreign office site ( which only mentions masks on public transport)

23 minutes ago, Poolie said:

One. The exception that proves the rule. What if mask wearing isn't ever discontinued?

You really think that is a possibility. 

18 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

What kind of visa can you do that on?

Don’t blame you. Out of interest would you have known about the Thailand mask requirement if you didn’t follow this forum?  ( I’m just curious as to how potential visitors would know about it because I don’t see it mentioned on the TP website, Thailand embassy website or uk foreign office site ( which only mentions masks on public transport)

I know about it because I am in touch with people who live there.

18 minutes ago, JamesR said:

You really think that is a possibility. 

Maybe. I wouldn't rule it out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Poolie said:

Maybe. I wouldn't rule it out.

I don't think so but if it does then come true then it will be the end of the tourist industry in relation to how it was pre covid.

But it will not make much difference as the majority of Thais are not connected with that industry and the downturn in tourism has had no affect on them.

20 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I don't think so but if it does then come true then it will be the end of the tourist industry in relation to how it was pre covid.

But it will not make much difference as the majority of Thais are not connected with that industry and the downturn in tourism has had no affect on them.

Thai's tourism industry was 20% of GDP Pre Covid. according to some  websites. https://knoema.com/atlas/Thailand/topics/Tourism/Travel-and-Tourism-Total-Contribution-to-GDP/Contribution-of-travel-and-tourism-to-GDP-percent-of-GDP

On 6/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, Benroon said:

I would love to see the actual figures! 

But tell anyone at home you’re going to Thailand and you’ll get that nudge nudge wink wink look every time ! There’s a reason for that (I’m told!) 

It depends on the type of people a person knows at home, there are thick uneducated people in every country and so it depends which circles a person mixes in.

55 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

I know but that 20% of input into the Thai economy is 'won' by relatively few wealthy people, the vast majority of people are not involved with tourism in their day to day lives.

39 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I know but that 20% of input into the Thai economy is 'won' by relatively few wealthy people, the vast majority of people are not involved with tourism in their day to day lives.

Sorry, I disagree, -  taxi,hotels,cleaners,cooks,wait staff,hotel food, street food, suppliers,massage,bars,waitresses,cleaners,bike taxis,hookers,and then their food and suppliers and then the rooms for rent and their food and suppliers, I could go on, Like markets and stalls and small shops.that give them haircuts and do makeup, on and on

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cabra said:

I know 3 guys who decided to go to Colombia over Thailand because if masking rules. 

Then they are idiots and did not research whatsoever 

I've been here 6 weeks and masks are not a concern at all

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

I know about it because I am in touch with people who live there.

Many ,if not most, tourists won’t know people who live here so back to my question how would potential tourists find out about the mask requirement?

5 hours ago, JamesR said:

Looks like local leaders in tourist areas are taking matters into their own hands

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2319894/phuket-eases-mask-wearing-bangkok-to-follow

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Transam said:

How do you know that "most people will not choose a .................'' that's a guess....🤔

Get out of your cave and talk to people in the real world out there, maybe, just maybe your question will be answered.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Then they are idiots and did not research whatsoever 

I've been here 6 weeks and masks are not a concern at all

The point is, masking wear is affecting tourism negatively. Why do you think the mayor of Phuket made his announcement. It matters to some people. 

• Like 3