News Forum - PM Prayut insists no plans to drop face-mask requirement in Thailand

Thaiger

21 hours ago, Transam said:

But that would not deal with those who blatantly don't use a mask, there are many on this forum...🤓

They say they don’t but I suspect that it is just bravado and in reality they conform just like everyone else😂. It’s easy to talk big on a forum but when they go to the 7-11 they will put their masks on without a hint of protest 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, mjwalker said:

just crazy now 

most people coming to Thailand are coming from countries that no longer use masks !! 

it will stop tourists coming 

Really? I have searched the internet and can’t find any negative comments about Thailand’s mask mandate apart from this forum and TVF. I see plenty of  of people on this forum predicting the negative impact on tourism without any evidence to back it up.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Headline should read.

PM anounces new plan to keep foreign tourists from coming to Thailand.

The only people who think it will stop tourists coming are on this forum and TVF 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

Oh well I will have to put my nine months trip off to Thailand for another few months, a lot of tourists must be doing the same.

In the UK at the weekend many of the airports were full to capacity as families went away for holidays during the school half-term holiday period, I bet many did not choose to go to a country where they had to sit under the hot sun wearing a mask.☺️

My family were among them and they didn't come to me in Thailand, full time mask wearing was the last straw!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mandy said:

My family were among them and they didn't come to me in Thailand, full time mask wearing was the last straw!

But not the only straw? 😂Did they miss the flight because of the queue?

Edited by Stevejm
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, rc1 said:

Although I would argue with you on "personal preference for many", it was rare to see anyone in a mask pre 2020 in Thailand

Not rare in Bangkok and people who went to work with a cold or flu!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Really? I have searched the internet and can’t find any negative comments about Thailand’s mask mandate apart from this forum and TVF. I see plenty of  of people on this forum predicting the negative impact on tourism without any evidence to back it up.

TVF?

46 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Really? I have searched the internet and can’t find any negative comments about Thailand’s mask mandate apart from this forum and TVF. I see plenty of  of people on this forum predicting the negative impact on tourism without any evidence to back it up

You wouldn't. Not in the Thai press. Look to the western press (where the majority of tourist come from) and you will see that people are indeed turned off by the notion of having to wear a mask on holiday. As far as evidence for future predictions are concerned... The evidence will be in the tourist numbers. And right now there is no where near the 3.2 million tourist per month that thailand saw pre covid. Right now it's like 500,000 and they pray it will go up to 1 million by July. We will see. 

• Cool 1

10 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

TVF

I think he is referring to the old Thai Visa Forum. Which actually doesn't exist anymore. It was renamed Asean Now. 

I lived for a number of years in Taiwan, pre Covid.  Face masks are very common outdoors and on public transport it is almost 100%, including me. It was really no bother and if it made the transmission of colds and flu that much harder, it had my support. I appreciate the agro from people on holiday, but it may be the way of things here for the foreseeable future, so I guess that we must accept that. 

Note:  I cannot remember when I last had a cold or flu, and no covid, so far.  Touching all kinds of wood;  no. not that wood! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cabra said:

I think he is referring to the old Thai Visa Forum. Which actually doesn't exist anymore. It was renamed Asean Now. 

Give this man a medal.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/31/2022 at 10:08 AM, DiJoDavO said:

Says the guy who went to America (which has higher numbers than here) without face mask🙂

Don't these guys communicate with each other? 

Still expecting what I said a week ago lol

Anutin also stated twice that there was no Thai law that enforced mask wearing, what a circus!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Cabra said:

You wouldn't. Not in the Thai press. Look to the western press (where the majority of tourist come from) and you will see that people are indeed turned off by the notion of having to wear a mask on holiday. As far as evidence for future predictions are concerned... The evidence will be in the tourist numbers. And right now there is no where near the 3.2 million tourist per month that thailand saw pre covid. Right now it's like 500,000 and they pray it will go up to 1 million by July. We will see. 

I haven’t seen any reference to it in the western media. Why don’t you educate me and post a link

7 minutes ago, Paulw said:

Anutin also stated twice that there was no Thai law that enforced mask wearing, what a circus!!!!

The UK official travel advice for travelers coming to Thailand only mentions the need to wear masks on public transport. I’m sure they would mention it if it was a legal requirement everywhere. Makes me wonder how any tourists would even find out about the requirement to be put off by it. It’s not mentioned in the TP application process so how would any potential visitors even know about it? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I haven’t seen any reference to it in the western media. Why don’t you educate me and post a link

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/aug/05/uk-tourists-cancel-a-trip-than-enter-quarantine-wear-masks-covid-coronavirus

There are even more articles promoting the advantages of traveling to places that have lifted covid restrictions. Which is a backhanded way of saying people are tired of masking and seek to holiday mask free. Not a difficult concept to get ones brain around

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

The UK official travel advice for travelers coming to Thailand only mentions the need to wear masks on public transport. I’m sure they would mention it if it was a legal requirement everywhere. Makes me wonder how any tourists would even find out about the requirement to be put off by it. It’s not mentioned in the TP application process so how would any potential visitors even know about it? 

If you want reliable information about Thailand don't rely on a UK source. Try looking at a THA source (TAT, DPH, CCSA). Truth is there is not a law to wear a mask, as this requires many steps and Parliament approval. However, under the emergency decree in place for over two years now, mask mandates fall under measures implemented currently in every province by communicable disease committees and fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Health. Again compulsory in all provinces and offenders are liable for a fine upon 20,000 baht (although I've never heard anyone getting fined). People find out about these things because it's common knowledge, and from information readily available online. 

3 minutes ago, Cabra said:

If you want reliable information about Thailand don't rely on a UK source. Try looking at a THA source (TAT, DPH, CCSA). Truth is there is not a law to wear a mask, as this requires many steps and Parliament approval. However, under the emergency decree in place for over two years now, mask mandates fall under measures implemented currently in every province by communicable disease committees and fall under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Health. Again compulsory in all provinces and offenders are liable for a fine upon 20,000 baht (although I've never heard anyone getting fined). People find out about these things because it's common knowledge, and from information readily available online. 

Yes but translates effectively as “ law” !

Parliamentary, Gazetted or Not …..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cabra said:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/aug/05/uk-tourists-cancel-a-trip-than-enter-quarantine-wear-masks-covid-coronavirus

There are even more articles promoting the advantages of traveling to places that have lifted covid restrictions. Which is a backhanded way of saying people are tired of masking and seek to holiday mask free. Not a difficult concept to get ones brain around

That article is almost 2 years old so it means nothing!

Edited by Stevejm
  • Haha 1

A number of off-topic posts have been removed - kindly read the FG's and additional rules posted in News forums.

Note: acronyms such FG's (and others with the dotted underline) will expand to show full meaning when hovering your pointing device over the top.

Moderator.

• Like 1

Let's be clear about this. 

There is no law about the need to wear masks.....period. 

You cannot be fined for not wearing one......period. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Yes but translates effectively as “ law” !

Parliamentary, Gazetted or Not …..

But didn’t you say previously that it is not being implemented as in nobody is getting fined for not wearing a mask outside?

35 minutes ago, Metoo said:

Let's be clear about this. 

There is no law about the need to wear masks.....period. 

You cannot be fined for not wearing one......period. 

Disproven by Cabra. Provincial & Local Laws all over Thailand. Just not a central parliamentary law. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

But didn’t you say previously that it is not being implemented as in nobody is getting fined for not wearing a mask outside?

No. That was @Cabra. And implementation a different subject.