News Forum - PM Prayut insists no plans to drop face-mask requirement in Thailand

Thaiger

22 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

You're a pro masker. So obviously these mandates don't bother you nearly as much as they bother me and judging from the other respondents on here, over 90% of us here.

I am not a pro masker I am just not as bothered by it as some other people are.  I am also not going to waste my time whining endlessly about laws or requirements in a country where I am staying as a guest not by birthright. As I already mentioned I hope the mandate is dropped ASAP.

Edited by Stevejm
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, Stevejm said:

Not rare in Bangkok and people who went to work with a cold or flu!

It was rare and most people with a flu didn't go to work. Those that did were idiots. It's common sense to stay home when you're sick, especially in a country of hypochondriacs that even pre-Covid could easily be frightened over something like the common cold.

I don't know if it was a premonition of things to come, but pre-Covid, I made sure that if I had any visible respiratory symptoms and had to cross an international border and particularly if it involved air travel, I would postpone my trip as I didn't want to raise any scrutiny with immigration or customs authorities.

I normally never get sick and I think I only ever had to do that once - by postponing a flight by maybe 2 days just to ensure I no longer had any symptoms of a runny nose.

These days and since early 2020 your freedom literally depended on following this rule. I think from now on it will be like this permanently. Basically, having a cold has been criminalized. LOL.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:45 AM, Stevejm said:

The UK official travel advice for travelers coming to Thailand only mentions the need to wear masks on public transport. I’m sure they would mention it if it was a legal requirement everywhere. Makes me wonder how any tourists would even find out about the requirement to be put off by it. It’s not mentioned in the TP application process so how would any potential visitors even know about it? 

Most other governments and sources mention the need to wear masks in Thailand at all times in public and this has consistenly been the case since April 2020.

For other countries, advice has been updated to reflect changes that have occurred over time such as "in some settings" (for example in China and Vietnam during the latter part of 2020) but in Thailand it's always been "in all settings". This would later change back to "in all settings" in Vietnam later that year.

So if the UK is advising only on public transport, they're receiving very faulty information that needs urgent updating. Australian and I believe also American sources are saying "everywhere in public".

Edited by Highlandman

On 6/1/2022 at 5:00 PM, JohnC said:

That's a made up story to back a point up if I've ever heard one

Each to their own but its obvious that wearing a mask outside and compulsory covid insurance will influence the decisions of tourists destinations.

Some won't be bothered but others will look at alternative options, not because they're drama queen's, but because they have a choice of where to go and what they're willing to put up with.

Due to the fact most Europeans and Americans won't have worn a mask or even talked about covid for months now why would we want to go to a country full of drama queen's who wear masks and are still gripped by an irrational fear that the rest of the world's left behind?

The irrational fear part may be more off putting than the mandate on it's own.

When locals look at you as a vector for the transmission of disease when you're just minding your own business trying to be a normal, respectful tourist then word travels fast, that Thailand is no longer a carefree, welcoming country.

I'm sure many tourists are telling others that Thailand since 2020 has changed for the worse, relative to the country it was pre-2020. I don't think it will ever be like it used to be, ever again. There will always be an increased amount of paranoia and fear, even if one day the locals stop being drama queens and no longer afraid of Covid, they'll immediately go back into panic mode the minute the next virus is announced, which is already starting to happen with monkeypox.

I think if anyone allows themselves to get excessively wound up by the mask mandate they should consider living elsewhere. If they are not living here then it is none of their business.

Thailand has the right to set it's own mask mandate - whether we agree with that, or not, it matters not one iota. If 7-11 require you to wear a mask to enter their premises then you have 2 choices...... FIFO.

The constant whining from some is tiresome - but more of an issue to the whiner than it is to me 

For the record I am in favour of appropriate mask wearing. My appropriate will different to yours and certainly different to the mechanical approach of the Thais 

I am coming to the end of a 7 week trip to Europe and it was refreshing to see a voluntary approach to mask wearing in most cases. A few compulsory areas such as some flights but (like in Thailand) I respect the right of authorities to make their own decisions.

Incidentally, I tested positive for Covid today and my Thai missus is convinced it is due to me not wearing a mask. I prefer to believe that it was because I wasn't prepared to let Covid rule my life. I chose to visit my Covid +ve daughter and son-in-law rather than cancel and miss seeing them. 

I chose to wear a mask when I went to the supermarket today (but not in the open air between the hotel and shop). Whether that afforded any protection to other shoppers I am not sure, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Watching recent Thai travel vlogs I see Thais still religiously wearing their muzzles while abroad in countries where mask rules have either been completely lifted or at least relaxed.

In particular, it's amusing seeing Thais wearing their muzzles driving their cars in Laos, where literally no one in the countryside is wearing one. The brainwashing in Thailand must be the most extreme on the planet.

I mean we are talking about the only country where they're wearing masks in the TV studio!

Using the term 'muzzles' only adds to your lack of credibility. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Highlandman said:

You may not think so but mask wearing has taken on religious significance in Thailand. I've spent time scanning YT comments in Thai on this topic and 90% of them are: "I'm not taking off my mask".

I don't think the junta are willing to fully scrap the mask mandate, ever. I just don't see it happening. It will probably be somewhat eased in outdoor settings eventually, but those automatic mask detection doors at Lotus weren't installed only to be removed 2 years later. That's a sign of permanency if you ask me.

The Junta won't scrap it because it is a badge of control. Whether people in the bigger cities want to remove it is up to the brainwashing they have received 

1 minute ago, Chaimai said:

Using the term 'muzzles' only adds to your lack of credibility. 

And what else is it? Medically,cthe things usually worn stop nothing. They are psychological only

27 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

There will always be an increased amount of paranoia and fear, even if one day the locals stop being drama queens and no longer afraid of Covid, they'll immediately go back into panic mode the minute the next virus is announced, which is already starting to happen with monkeypox.

I am always amazed at farangs who think they can speak not only to the current but also the future psyche of Thailand. Hilariously arrogant IMO.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Morpheus said:

TAT says 4 million tourist for second half of 2022, Whats your crystal ball say.

There will be 4 million tourists but they will not be going to Thailand, the land of the mask.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fanta said:

Really? pre Covid the tourism sector generated 18% of the 2019 GDP of $US500 billion. And GDP is reported income not including  grey/unreported income.

That is over $100 billion minimum and represents a substantial portion of Thailand’s economy requiring substantial industry support and jobs. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1143467/thailand-share-of-tourism-to-gdp/

I would say that 82% of the economy not relating to tourism is a vast majority and thus the vast majority of people in Thailand have not been affected economically by the down turn in majority. 

3 hours ago, Stevejm said:

I am always amazed at farangs who think they can speak not only to the current but also the future psyche of Thailand. Hilariously arrogant IMO.

It will be hot in Thailand today, and tomorrow, and next week, oh and next year. 🤣

7 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Did you get a 1000 massages to come up with the 99.9% figure, or is it common Pattaya knowledge?

I don't know anything about Pattaya but I do know people working at the reception desk in hotels in Phuket have told me 99.9% of the ID cards they have to take from bar girls entering the hotel with a farang are from Isaan.

Plus as you walk past the massage places in Phuket you can hear the women talking to each other with their "Laos" language.

Do you not notice such things in Thailand or do you walk around with you eyes closed in your area or do you live at the back of beyond in the sticks?

6 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Some people may choose to wear a mask when they interact with other people because they want to try to avoid catching it or passing it on to others. Are we now going to start bullying people for taking precautions for their own reasons? That wouldn’t be very fair would it?

The mask of the type that most people wear will not protect them from catching the virus but it will greatly reduce the risk of the wearer passing the virus onto someone else as it is related to the aerosol affect.

So if a person is wearing a mask and is surrounded by others who are not wearing a mask then it will do that person no good at all agains the virus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

I would say that 82% of the economy not relating to tourism is a vast majority and thus the vast majority of people in Thailand have not been affected economically by the down turn in majority. 

That is perfectly true and the historic 'subsistance' lifestyle of 75% of the population has left them insulated from the impact of the collapse of tourism.

I disagree about people not coming because of the mask mandate. They have been coming and the numbers are slowly increasing. Thailand Pass will not be much of an obstacle - even though it is pointless.

6 hours ago, Viggen8408 said:

And what else is it? Medically,cthe things usually worn stop nothing. They are psychological only

Incorrect.

WHO provide evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

That is perfectly true and the historic 'subsistance' lifestyle of 75% of the population has left them insulated from the impact of the collapse of tourism.

I disagree about people not coming because of the mask mandate. They have been coming and the numbers are slowly increasing. Thailand Pass will not be much of an obstacle - even though it is pointless.

I don't think people understand just how much the rest of the world (not all but most)  has moved on from Covid.

It's not in the news, masks aren't worn in many countries.

It's a shock for a visitor to Thailand to see everyone in masks everywhere , temperature checks at 7-11, TV presenters masked, govt officials checking bars, front page Covid cases still being reported. A population still in fear of a virus that most of the world is now living with.

There's absolutely no way to argue this won't impact tourism.  It is, and will continue to do so until Thailand moves on. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Thai traditionalism and conservatism is similar to western liberal snowflakism.

Mask wearing has become the new state religion of Thailand. It's little surprise that Prayuth loves these things so much. So much so that in largely mask-free Washington DC a couple of weeks ago, all the Thai expats who were granted an audience with the PM were required to wear their masks in the room with him, but when Prayuth was with American and other foreign (including SE Asian) delegates, none of them wore a mask.

He gets back to Thailand and essentially wants to keep this new age Thai religion of muzzle wearing alive for as long as possible.

How weird. I suppose forcing people to wear muzzles strips them of their individuality, which would appeal to any authoritarian. 

I'm not sure about the comparison between Thai conservatives and western snowflakes though. The latter are generally young, secular left wingers, who support progressive causes and the abolition of traditional culture. I don't think we can say the same about Thai conservatives though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Not going to happen. Thais will wear their muzzles indefinitely. There is absolutely no unmasking trend in Thailand.

I think there is, at least in my area.  Doing my part to help unwind the local monkey brains from their PTSD trauma.  Bow bow, gently gently, no sudden movements.  

Used to wear a mask on the usual neck lanyard during runs/exercise in the wide-open, fresh air outdoors, virtue signaling that I'm on board with The Program, avoiding evil-eye stares from the terrified Youtube PhD brigade.  You know the type, kitted out in a double mask and ridiculous surgical face shield.  FFS, why risk it?  Might as well stay at home wrapped in cellophane. 🤣

Probably just my imagination, but the usual Thais along my route, accustomed to seeing the proper COVID kit dangling from my neck, seemed to give me an extra look the first few days without it.  I was satisfied with that idea.  "Look! Farang no hab mask!?!" 

That's right, amigo.  

And nobody died.

Get used to it.  🐏

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Highlandman said:

ROFL. You must be being sarcastic.

As much of a buffoon as Anutin is, there is no way he would ever come out with such a plan. The idea behind mask wearing continuing to remain mandatory is to control Thais, not a few foreign tourists here and there.

Anutin has said he wants to enforce mask wearing on tourists mainly because tourists aren't as religious in their mask wearing habits as Thais are.

I can assure you if the mandate is ever lifted, it will be Thais who will continue to wear them.

Lol, wasn't it him who recently lifted restrictions multiple times, but then first for Thai people, later for foreign people? 

I'm pretty sure that the next restriction which will be lifted, will be similar to this😂

And yeah, it was kind of sarcasm, but it's 2022 and sarcasm and reality difficult to distinguish from each other. 

On 6/3/2022 at 8:00 AM, JamesR said:

They are a concern to those who do not like being on holiday wearing a mask when they do not need to wear one in their own country. 

That is my reason for not going to Thailand at the moment. 

No matter how many people on this forum that are on the ground/have been on the ground have told you masks are not a concern???

So i guess kudos to you for taking a stand against basically a non-existent issue...........

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 7:13 AM, Highlandman said:

The irrational fear part may be more off putting than the mandate on it's own.

When locals look at you as a vector for the transmission of disease when you're just minding your own business trying to be a normal, respectful tourist then word travels fast, that Thailand is no longer a carefree, welcoming country.

I'm sure many tourists are telling others that Thailand since 2020 has changed for the worse, relative to the country it was pre-2020. I don't think it will ever be like it used to be, ever again. There will always be an increased amount of paranoia and fear, even if one day the locals stop being drama queens and no longer afraid of Covid, they'll immediately go back into panic mode the minute the next virus is announced, which is already starting to happen with monkeypox.

You seem to be the one that is in a panic, manic I would describe it

You have exhausted words upon words on a problem that doesn't exist.................

I just got back from Thailand after a 6 week trip

Wore my mask 10% of the time.............unlike the miserables on this forum, no one gave a crap!

But hey, at least you get to whine and moan on the internet, so that is great!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chaimai said:

I have been staying away due to the mask mandate as in the UK we have been free of any restrictions for many months now so why would anyone want to go from that situation and have to walk around Thailand wearing a mask in the heat?
But now having read the article stating we do not need to wear masks on the beach etc in Phuket then I will now plan my next six month visit. 

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

20 hours ago, rc1 said:

I don't think people understand just how much the rest of the world (not all but most)  has moved on from Covid.

It's not in the news, masks aren't worn in many countries.

It's a shock for a visitor to Thailand to see everyone in masks everywhere , temperature checks at 7-11, TV presenters masked, govt officials checking bars, front page Covid cases still being reported. A population still in fear of a virus that most of the world is now living with.

There's absolutely no way to argue this won't impact tourism.  It is, and will continue to do so until Thailand moves on. 

What is so shocking about it?

Have you been to Japan? People wear masks

Walking into 7-11, it is that bothersome to lift your hand for a temperature check that no one even looks to see what it registered?

6 weeks all over Thailand in all sorts of bars............never saw one govt official check any bar

I hardly ever thought of covid at all when I was in Thailand

It's only guys on forums that get their panties in a bunch over any of this

Which is extremely ironic, since it's them that the ones panicking!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

No matter how many people on this forum that are on the ground/have been on the ground have told you masks are not a concern???

So i guess kudos to you for taking a stand against basically a non-existent issue...........

The issue for me is not to go there until mask wearing in public is not mandatory, I am sure that is the case for many other visitors, so it is a my only concern.

Why should tourists come from 'free' countries and then have to wear masks in the hot sun?

I am not concerned about the people living there as it is up to them what they do.

• Like 1