News Forum - Thailand to welcome Russian travellers back this Saturday, really?@!, Ukraine Discussion

Thaiger

8 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

The few hundred basic -trained low -ranked foreign fighters on Ukraine side are risking their lives on $10-12 a day, a fraction of their earnings / benefit back home, clearly motivated by freedom principles not money, so can hardly be considered “ mercenaries” who typically would command $ 500-1000+ each day and fight /advise only for that.

I agree. I believe the original wording used by the original poster was mercenary/volunteer. I chose Volunteer. The  British guy that died previously volunteered and was in Syria fighting with the Kurds. You couldn’t pay me enough to do that job :-) I’ll stick to buying lottery tickets, guaranteed to not kill me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, astro said:

Yeah, sure. For your side, the civilised US/UK, only the past few years matter, for everybody else one needs to look at the last 2k years for atrocities committed.

lol

Why not last 8k years back to the Neolithic ? Perhaps because so few modern ethnic groups or nations or cultures remains from further back than last thousand years or so. 

If there is an arbitrary past time limit for serious atrocities relevant to modern times it might be last 500 years starting with Italian Renaissance & European Empires overseas? 

7 hours ago, astro said:

Yeah, sure. For your side, the civilised US/UK, only the past few years matter, for everybody else one needs to look at the last 2k years for atrocities committed.

lol

Near Impossible to hold a decent semi-intellectual conversation here. 😩 probably 4-6 decent posters on this topic. You are clearly not included.😉

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 1:40 AM, Dmitrii said:

Though I agree with your point of view, I just wanted to add that Thailand does not risk its banking system.

Russians will not have access to their VISA/Mastercard. Therefore, they will bring USD or EUR cash and exchange it locally. No risk for Thailand ;)

How are they getting the cash?

if banks won’t exchange Rubples?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KRLMRX said:

you are hallucinating.

I wrote that the chancellor of Austria will come to Moscow and he arrived, and that information about foreigners in Mariupol is in the Russian-language Telegram, but here the language of communication is English.

Here is a Times article about a surrendered British mercenary/volunteer in Mariupol:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/british-fighter-captured-by-russians-in-mariupol-mrgbph35h

Believe few interested in the nonsense useless “Diplomacy” or “peace talks”. 

Putin to GET OUT of all Ukraine with the shooting war concluded by Aggressor RUSSIA, before these terms have any meaning. Russias HUGE Reparations Bill post-war will hopefully see Putin removed and launch Russia towards Democracy…….

Putins delusions of  “feeling threatened” by the actions of free nations which are NONE of Russias business, or “protecting Russians”, are reminiscent of Hitlers thinking or Ivan the Terrible, and in NO WAY form any modern “ justification” for any belligerent military action.

Russian “diplomatic” action of nakedly threatening,even promising, to destroy Sweden & Finland if they quite naturally join NATO, is appalling, like CCP same threats to “ destroy” Taiwan & Japan. FORCE is all they Respect.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, KRLMRX said:

For the past 30 years, the competence of those in power has been rapidly degrading, that is, approximately since the collapse of the USSR.

it is a pity that you cannot resurrect the dead and explain it to them

Our “Leaders” for last 10,000 years have brought evil,disaster, catastrophe, massacre  95% of the time. We have advanced DESPITE their “ contributions” not “ because of”. 
I would be a no - leader Anarchist but that doesn’t work beyond small groups…… what is wrong with us? There seems no solution. Democracy though is clearly the “ least worse” form of govt ….. but failing us badly. 

One clearly required solution or start is Separation of Incompatible Groups. 
Commence that process by dividing people into Civilized Rational & Uncivilized Irrational.  Never going to happen though is it …….

13 hours ago, Alavan said:

Norvegian coastal waters is not the North Atlantic. Been sailing there for years, on tankers, general cargos and Containers, but never been in your coastal waters. I guess you mean the North Sea. And Nato has a taskforce there, before called STANAVFORLANT which excisted of US, Canadian, UK German Norvegian, Danish, German, Belgium/Netherlands, Spanish and Potuguese destroyers/fregates, but it was in International waters. What is the area of your EEZ in respect of the whole North Atlantic?

Do you even know the difference between your teritorial waters and your EEZ?

When I was referring to EEZ, it of course also confers a certain expectation  of being the favored domain of ones own ships. 

Of course the Anglo-US can continue with their provocative "freedom of navigation" parades, but my point is (and was) it will look more and more ridiculous when they are far away from home within an ocean basin with no friendly ports or support structures. 

So a demilitarization of the Nordic EEZ from the Nordic side (Happy?) would make it pretty embarrassing and bizarre for the NATO to prowl around in that area. Likje a stray dog marking telephone poles and being just a nuisance.  

At present, this is not on the agenda, but for a future model of increased Nordic integration, it certainly COULD become one, even if they were to technically still remain in NATO due to politicians dragging. 

23 minutes ago, Transam said:

I was replying to another post, so none of your business, you just stick to your pro-Russian stance, so we can reply to it, there's a good chap....😉

I don't think there is a limitations who can jump in on a thread or not. If it were so, it should be applied in all cases, which surely is not the case. 

His point is a very good one and relevant with regards to the Anti-Russian tirade that is so selectively applied while other situations are happening (NOW) with a significantly less degree of outrage. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Our “Leaders” for last 10,000 years have brought evil,disaster, catastrophe, massacre  95% of the time. We have advanced DESPITE their “ contributions” not “ because of”. 

I know, I can't walk five meters down the road without seeing someone being massacred or robbed etc, it is terrible, I have to walk on stilts to get past them. 

I think the worst thing which has happened in the UK this week regarding our "evil" leader Mr Johnson is he had a sneaky beer on his birthday for ten minutes, that is the end of the world, "we are all going to die."

Who would want to be a politician? They get paid bugger all and have the press and moaners on their backs twenty four hours a day. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 1:37 PM, palooka said:

Everyone interpreted this one wrongly.

Russia wants everyone to come to Russia for tourism they want your foreign currency.

Some of their "friendly" countries are more worse off than Russia.

Sri Lanka- bankrupt and no electricity, Ethiopia - has never had much of anything, Myanmar- thugs and criminals, Lebanon - survives day to day, Tunisia - has no idea about anything and the old favourite Nth Korea - who has thousands of tourists looking for somewhere to go, just not allowed.

Left China out deliberately -- they are having 2/6 each way at the moment.

Aeroflot and Russians should be banned from Thailand till Russia withdraw from Ukraine incl. Krim...

The countrys u mentioned are the usual under and low developed , high corruption, high political crimes   run by local crime figures often with a violent state religion or a leader cult....etc etc...( this is true for three quarter of countrys in this world ,) but non of these threatend the world with nuclear desaster and just invadet his neighbour via deliberate destruction of all civilian infrastructure..

just for fun without need...

in ohter coubtry soldier against soldier all try to spare civilians...russia in ukraine ( also in syria ) first target the civilian infrastructure hospitals schools private housing and the unarmed locals  this via missiles from far far away...

using state of the art military equipment

so ur usual thug countrys dont have the means to do such ( if they had they would do see palestin attacking israeli private housing via military missiles )...

so thats why this highly institutionalized war crime country and its inhabitants should be banned from the Land of smiles till there is not a single russian soldier in Ukraine and in Krim anymore

25 minutes ago, NorskTiger said:

When I was referring to EEZ, it of course also confers a certain expectation  of being the favored domain of ones own ships. 

Of course the Anglo-US can continue with their provocative "freedom of navigation" parades, but my point is (and was) it will look more and more ridiculous when they are far away from home within an ocean basin with no friendly ports or support structures. 

So a demilitarization of the Nordic EEZ from the Nordic side (Happy?) would make it pretty embarrassing and bizarre for the NATO to prowl around in that area. Likje a stray dog marking telephone poles and being just a nuisance.  

At present, this is not on the agenda, but for a future model of increased Nordic integration, it certainly COULD become one, even if they were to technically still remain in NATO due to politicians dragging. 

By your own admission Norway is not leaving NATO any time soon so your speculation is pointless.

Can you stop spamming every thread with your Norway nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

By your own admission Norway is not leaving NATO any time soon so your speculation is pointless.

Can you stop spamming every thread with your Norway nonsense.

First of all, in the context of this thread it is relevant. There are many derivations from this thread who are relevant to the topic, so I am not recognizing your "spam" labelling. 

That Norway is not leaving NATO any time soon has nothing to do with a joint Nordic intent to demilitarize the North Atlantic. Negotioations over arms reductions with Russia could be done while still remaining a NATO member. It would be good for NATO, Norway, the Nordics, Russia and the world. 

Peace. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Transam said:

Tell me, why do you think there is an anti-Russian tirade on this thread...? 

Why is consensus created? Why does the most vocal ones always shout down many who simply desire less of a conflictesque environment?

The West is a powerful media and popular culture bloc. Besides China (increasingly a more vital tourist bloc than Decadent West), the West has a loud voice in Thailand expat climate. Surely, many who are indifferent or rather prefer to "get along" opt to at least not voice a strong dissent or none at all. It is always nicer to be popular than it is to be popular to be nice. 

So the question is right, but maybe not in the spirit of what you were asking. A better question would be; Why is the Western anti-Russian hatred so strong that it creates a rection ot a war, which is no worse than a similar conflict in Yemen (and in many ways LESS destructive).  

Could it be because the Ukraine conflict is not simply about the country? Could it be because larger geopolitical issues are at stake? Like the emergence of a de-dollarized world? 

(I think so).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

We are discussing a conflict. Reducing this to only “talking about the killing of innocents” stifles debate about the bigger picture. If  you want to discuss only those allegations I suggest you start a new topic “Alleged war crimes” to discuss these allegations, investigative progress made to date, immediate repercussions, expected future progress and possible future repercussions.

I haven’t heard a peep lately about anything else but allegations of inexcusable war crimes. What about the fate of Mariupol, the chemical weapons runouts. the current build up by both sides in the East, peace talks, weapons supplies, military losses. economic impacts, international support etc etc. Let’s focus on something we can discuss, instead of beating down people with the cudgel of tragic deaths of civilians. 

We have mentioned the Chemical Attack but without evidence, we cannot go any further on this 1 Haw Haw. As for atrocities id say it's more important to discuss than Troop movements unless of course some don't want to hear about the butchery and rape's.,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorskTiger said:

First of all, in the context of this thread it is relevant. There are many derivations from this thread who are relevant to the topic, so I am not recognizing your "spam" labelling. 

That Norway is not leaving NATO any time soon has nothing to do with a joint Nordic intent to demilitarize the North Atlantic. Negotioations over arms reductions with Russia could be done while still remaining a NATO member. It would be good for NATO, Norway, the Nordics, Russia and the world. 

Peace. 

Your post's are nothing to do with this thread Tiger your waffleing about NATO. So stop your post's are NOT relevent to this thread.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Transam said:

Russia can't shake off the communist thing, folk disappearing, poisonings, speak out of turn and you're locked up. Nothing has changed.

Strange that after WW2, Germany became part of the lets move on brigade, Russia hasn't.

PS. I had an uncle that I had never met, he was killed in 1940, coming to the aid of your lot...😔

None of what you are mentioning has anything to do with "communism". However, what you mention HAS been alleged to have been done by Russia in modern times, true. I just wanted to make it clear that it is nothing intrinsic to Communism. 

Germany was split in two after WW2. And either side was part of the entrenched cold war, which really was much of a continuation of WW2, with different methods and players.

Sorry for Your uncle and Thank You. Too little too late and a grave miscalculation from side of Churchill, but credit where credit is due. It was an honest and daring attempt to turn the tide early on. 

Churchill simply underestimated the early power of Luftwaffe and the explosive momentum in Belgium around same time. 

12 minutes ago, vlad said:

We have mentioned the Chemical Attack but without evidence, we cannot go any further on this 1 Haw Haw. As for atrocities id say it's more important to discuss than Troop movements unless of course some don't want to hear about the butchery and rape's.,

These are mere allegations and the noise is turned up every day. Allgations with more noise often smacks of propaganda, as evidenced from the Douha allegations; Saddam and WMD and so on and so on. 

Even the CONFLICT is not as important these days than the risk of this spilling over into a World War three. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vlad said:

Your post's are nothing to do with this thread Tiger your waffleing about NATO. So stop your post's are NOT relevent to this thread.

That is your opinion. My replies were to things that started out of the topic at hand and is still relevant. 

You cannot command me to do anything, simply because you are annoyed at it. Instead, focus your energy at the thread at hand or are creating the irrelevance here. 

The topic at hand is whether or not Russian tourists should be welcome to Thailand based upon allegations (of which likely none of them have taken part) and a political alignment you disagree with. 

I fail to see anyone applying same standards to what is happening in Yemen and the fate of Julian Assange is also something the UK people should pay for, according to your standards. 

• Like 1

Your a relatively new poster Tiger and already you're making yourself look clueless. Now your waffling on about Churchill and the German Luftwaffe who incidentally was destroyed by guess who ? in the Battle of Britain. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, vlad said:

and some people only want to hear about the butchery and the rapes. There is a label for people like that and it’s not “concerned citizen”. And stop addressing me by your girlfriend’s pet name or, if you can’t, at least learn to spell it right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NorskTiger said:

That is your opinion. My replies were to things that started out of the topic at hand and is still relevant. 

You cannot command me to do anything, simply because you are annoyed at it. Instead, focus your energy at the thread at hand or are creating the irrelevance here. 

The topic at hand is whether or not Russian tourists should be welcome to Thailand based upon allegations (of which likely none of them have taken part) and a political alignment you disagree with. 

I fail to see anyone applying same standards to what is happening in Yemen and the fate of Julian Assange is also something the UK people should pay for, according to your standards. 

Do you understand what a forum is for ?? Tiger ? it is to debate a particular issue if it is about Ukraine and Russia that's what we are discussing. You however Don't seem to be able to grasp this so you waffle this is a word we use in the UK when you talk rubbish so you " Waffle" now you are waffling about Assange is he Russian ? or Yemen so look how this forum works and debate on the Topic, not waffle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fanta said:

and some people only want to hear about the butchery and the rapes. There is a label for people like that and it’s not “concerned citizen”. And stop addressing me by your girlfriend’s pet name or, if you can’t, at least learn to spell it right.

Oh dear, pick your toys up Haw Haw. Google William Joyce old chap my spelling is correct. And what are you trying to label me ?? be very careful what you're accusing a member on here of being? Incidentally, Haw Haw are you English?.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vlad said:

Do you understand what a forum is for ?? Tiger ? it is to debate a particular issue if it is about Ukraine and Russia that's what we are discussing. You however Don't seem to be able to grasp this so you waffle this is a word we use in the UK when you talk rubbish so you " Waffle" now you are waffling about Assange is he Russian ? or Yemen so look how this forum works and debate on the Topic, not waffle.

Right so, are the Russian tourists coming back this week?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NorskTiger said:

Why is consensus created? Why does the most vocal ones always shout down many who simply desire less of a conflictesque environment?

The West is a powerful media and popular culture bloc. Besides China (increasingly a more vital tourist bloc than Decadent West), the West has a loud voice in Thailand expat climate. Surely, many who are indifferent or rather prefer to "get along" opt to at least not voice a strong dissent or none at all. It is always nicer to be popular than it is to be popular to be nice. 

So the question is right, but maybe not in the spirit of what you were asking. A better question would be; Why is the Western anti-Russian hatred so strong that it creates a rection ot a war, which is no worse than a similar conflict in Yemen (and in many ways LESS destructive).  

Could it be because the Ukraine conflict is not simply about the country? Could it be because larger geopolitical issues are at stake? Like the emergence of a de-dollarized world? 

(I think so).

Normally I separate Regimes from People, but no longer in case of Russia where the vast majority identify with and support Putin who links his Gangster /FSB Criminal Tyranny to Russian State & People, with permission of People , who are invading, wrecking & murdering in Ukraine in Army uniform ; so yes anti- regime is now anti Country People Military ( Everything) in case of Russia. 
Exception: Brave Russian Dissidents against Putin; all 5,000 of them from 145 million. 

• Like 2