News Forum - RTN prepares for Myanmar evacuation amid conflict

Thaiger

In the face of escalating civil conflict in Myanmar, the Royal Thai Navy (RTN) has stationed four vessels in the Andaman Sea, ready to facilitate the evacuation of Thai citizens from Myanmar. The directive came from RTN Chief Admiral Adung Pan-Iam, who has instructed the Region 3 commander to prepare two frigates, HTMS Saiburi and … …

The story RTN prepares for Myanmar evacuation amid conflict as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is good that RTN is kept on the alert to evacuate its citizens from Myanmar should the conflict worsen. But just wondering why station Ships in the south as most of the resistance is from the north and the north east of Myanmar where it is land to land fighting. Further the southern border crossing are very safe and there is no conflit in that region. As such who is going to the far south to escape via the sea? ......may be I could be wrong also as RTN might have some strategic plans. 

8 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is good that RTN is kept on the alert to evacuate its citizens from Myanmar should the conflict worsen. But just wondering why station Ships in the south as most of the resistance is from the north and the north east of Myanmar where it is land to land fighting. Further the southern border crossing are very safe and there is no conflit in that region. As such who is going to the far south to escape via the sea? ......may be I could be wrong also as RTN might have some strategic plans. 

No conflict in the south but the report mentions Dawei.....

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

But just wondering why station Ships in the south as most of the resistance is from the north and the north east of Myanma

You don't think the RTN want to be anywhere there is REAL potential danger do you :)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

But just wondering why station Ships in the south as most of the resistance is from the north and the north east of Myanmar where it is land to land

Then you answered your own question? 

7 hours ago, ChrisS said:

You don't think the RTN want to be anywhere there is REAL potential danger do you :)

Just a little balance.  Admittedly. It was some years back now, too many,  but I had the privilege of working for a short time with Thai Marines.  They were some of the best trained, best led  and certainly toughest troops I ever saw. If they are on the case, then good. 

19 hours ago, Pinetree said:

They were some of the best trained, best led  and certainly toughest troops I ever saw

The other half has several relatives in the RTN and without exception they are absolutely lovely people. Would I rely on any of them in an emergency situation............Not a prayer.

On 4/29/2024 at 6:31 AM, Scooter said:

No conflict in the south but the report mentions Dawei.....

There might not be conflict in the South, but civil uprisings are not predictable and as we have seen in other countries, the mobs can quickly turn on an ethnic group  quickly.  The navy would be stationed where there are large numbers of Thais to evacuate, so I expect that there is a population in the area where the  RTN is deployed. Yangon has one of the larger Thai communities in  Myanmar. It is active in culture including religion and education as well as some manufacturing interests.  If Thais have to flee, many will lose their life savings and homes etc.

• Like 1