News Forum - Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon”

Thaiger

If someone didn't say it already, this pea brain first has to get the Thai to say it and there is no way in hades they are going to start doing that. I would think you could get them way more easily to bark like a dog.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

and in China "guailo".

Guailo is a word local Hong Kongers used mainly to call the British back when HK belonged to the UK. But it is offensive as it literally means “devil ghost”, something along those lines… 

The equivalent of farang in China is “laowai”. 

On 2/18/2022 at 7:21 AM, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Those wacky Orientals 

Well, "Deutschland" is just the short version. Adopting the spirit of this Deputy PM I am encouraging him to use the official name which is "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" forthwith. Anything short of that could potentially hurt my feelings and those of my 82m kinsmen.

/s

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Stardust said:

Omg , I guess you even don't know that Bangkok is a Thainame and not english and never was.

Think you missed the point there. Never mind 

17 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Rubbish people have happily adapted to Bombay becoming Mumbai etc India in only a few years. 

Since when do you order MUMBAI potato at your local Indian

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

If someone didn't say it already, this pea brain first has to get the Thai to say it and there is no way in hades they are going to start doing that. I would think you could get them way more easily to bark like a dog.

They're already saying it, which you should know, as you have stated previously that you have lived in Thailand 30+ years, fluent in Thai blah blah blah....😆😆🙄🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Guailo is a word local Hong Kongers used mainly to call the British back when HK belonged to the UK. But it is offensive as it literally means “devil ghost”, something along those lines… 

The equivalent of farang in China is “laowai”. 

Or wei guo ren. Same idea. Only in mandarin whereas guailo was (is) Cantonese.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

They're already saying it, which you should know, as you have stated previously that you have lived in Thailand 30+ years, fluent in Thai blah blah blah....😆😆🙄🙄

I think you need to go talk to yourself and steer clear of me. You have nothing positive and are really starting to irk me. Back off!

On 2/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, Noble_Design said:

To be honest... most foreigners aren't even pronouncing Bangkok properly...

I always found the way some people pronounce Bang... kok sounds like they are visiting certain bars in the Patpong area. 

1 hour ago, Fundok said:

Well, "Deutschland" is just the short version. Adopting the spirit of this Deputy PM I am encouraging him to use the official name which is "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" forthwith. Anything short of that could potentially hurt my feelings and those of my 82m kinsmen.

/s

And I won't get you started about 'Cologne'. 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

The Thai already say it. Grow up. The Thai people have been calling it Krung Thep forever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Nobody in Thailand say that! They say Krung Thep. Everybody who understand and speak Thai knows that! He is right and you are wrong!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, poohy said:

Since when do you order MUMBAI potato at your local Indian

Since Bombay potato is a dish created in the UK like Chicken Tikka Masala and is not known in Indian I fail to see how that is relevant to anything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim_Melb said:

Since Bombay potato is a dish created in the UK like Chicken Tikka Masala and is not known in Indian I fail to see how that is relevant to anything. 

Speaking of which............😀

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

The Thai already say it. Grow up. The Thai people have been calling it Krung Thep forever. 

Ummm duh! Krung Thep they have always used as the norm for speaking Thai, but not Krung Thep Maha Nakon.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OOber said:

I always found the way some people pronounce Bang... kok sounds like they are visiting certain bars in the Patpong area. 

Haha yes because they not speak it like latin, german or Thai the a in english, but who would mind, because it is their tongue as we have an accent when we talk english.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Transam said:

One word for one word, is a bit different, and I believe Bombay is still used by many, I mean, I always ask for Bombay Potato, not Mumbai Potato at my local Indian takeaway.......🤓

Two syllables for two syllables Krung Thep, it's not that hard. Since Bombay potato is a dish created in the UK like Chicken Tikka Masala and is not known in India I fail to see how that is relevant to anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

If it was irony or sarcasm please make a note next time😄

No. It wasn't irony or sarcasm. You just didn't get it. 😆

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

I think you need to go talk to yourself and steer clear of me. You have nothing positive and are really starting to irk me. Back off!

I'm sorry if my presence in a public forum annoyed you. Feel free to report my posts if you find them offensive, or put me on ignore. 

It's an anonymous forum on t'internet. Relax. 

• Like 2