News Forum - Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon”

Thaiger

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree. So why do so many accept the homogenised term Farang? I accept it in the sense that there is nothing I can do about it and see it as an ignorant word on the part of those using it. I even use it myself sometimes, though feel disappointed in myself when I do. The only time I get annoyed by it is when it is used by officials such as Mr Anutin. 

Because you being called a Farang by a Thai is not the same as an Asian being Asian by a Brit. 

I don't mind being called a farang at all. But my blood boils when a Thai suggests I am American (a bit less if they suggest I am European) but I still don't like it anyway. 

Farang = LaoWai = GaiJin = AngMo, etc etc it's just a way to call someone who isn't local. 

Edited by Lyp14 [ctxa]

1 hour ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Because you being called a Farang by a Thai is not the same as an Asian being Asian by a Brit. 

I don't mind being called a farang at all. But my blood boils when a Thai suggests I am American (a bit less if they suggest I am European) but I still don't like it anyway. 

Farang = LaoWai = GaiJin = AngMo, etc etc it's just a way to call someone who isn't local. 

What is wrong with being called an American?

Without them you would be speaking German or Russian now.

Sottish people go mad if when they are in Germany for example a German asks them if they are English because to most Germans UK people are English, that really make me laugh when it happens, if someone asks me (English) if I am Scottish, American etc I just say no I am English without sulking.

6 minutes ago, JamesR said:

What is wrong with being called an American?

Without them you would be speaking German or Russian now.

Sottish people go mad if when they are in Germany for example a German asks them if they are English because to most Germans UK people are English, that really make me laugh when it happens, if someone asks me (English) if I am Scottish, American etc I just say no I am English without sulking.

Without Americans I would be speaking Spanish - which is my native language, lol. Wouldn't affect me in anyway. Maybe instead of having had to learn English I would have had to learn Russian or German, but still wouldn't affect me in anyway.

I hate it than in the eyes of most Asians, for example most Thais, all foreigners are either Americans or British. In the eyes of most Chinese all foreigners are either Russian or American, etc etc.. 

Just like a Korean or a Vietnamese would hate it if you called him Chinese back home :P

Edited by Lyp14 [ctxa]
  • Cool 1

14 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Without Americans I would be speaking Spanish - which is my native language, lol. Wouldn't affect me in anyway. Maybe instead of having had to learn English I would have had to learn Russian or German, but still wouldn't affect me in anyway.

I hate it than in the eyes of most Asians, for example most Thais, all foreigners are either Americans or British. In the eyes of most Chinese all foreigners are either Russian or American, etc etc.. 

Just like a Korean or a Vietnamese would hate it if you called him Chinese back home :P

But you seem to be complaining of generalisations when you yourself said, "I hate it than in the eyes of most Asians, for example most Thais, all foreigners are either Americans or British. ", that is a massive generation.

That has not been my experience, in India, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc I was always asked my nationality.

Perhaps it is the wearing of a ten gallon hat, the spurs and the moustache which gives the game away. 😄

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

But you seem to be complaining of generalisations when you yourself said, "I hate it than in the eyes of most Asians, for example most Thais, all foreigners are either Americans or British. ", that is a massive generation.

That has not been my experience, in India, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc I was always asked my nationality.

Perhaps it is the wearing of a ten gallon hat, the spurs and the moustache which gives the game away. 😄

Well lucky you, but in my case they always say I am an American, or sometimes Brit, here in Thailand. I wonder why since I don't sound American or British at all when speaking English... who knows 

18 minutes ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

Well lucky you, but in my case they always say I am an American, or sometimes Brit, here in Thailand. I wonder why since I don't sound American or British at all when speaking English... who knows 

It's the John Wayne hat, spurs and the horse you ride which confuses them. 😃

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 1:04 PM, Transam said:

Up in the sticks, and perhaps they do and my lack of Thai lingo doesn't recognise it, but those around me and others say Bangkok...

They say Bangkok to you as a courtesy because of your lack of Thai lingo but I guarantee when speaking to other Thais they use Krung Thep. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

You must really hate being in the Philippines then, they generally call all westerners Kano's (short for Americano's) and when you walk down the street you get regular shouts of "Hey Joe" (referring to you as a GI Joe) which is a throw back to the days when it was a US colony and when most foreigners were US military. Both Filipino's and Expats even refer to dual pricing both official and unofficial as "Kano tax" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

You must really hate being in the Philippines then, they generally call all westerners Kano's (short for Americano's) and when you walk down the street you get regular shouts of "Hey Joe" (referring to you as a GI Joe) which is a throw back to the days when it was a US colony and when most foreigners were US military. Both Filipino's and Expats even refer to dual pricing both official and unofficial as "Kano tax" 

Never been to the Philippines, so fair enough I have never experienced that. But yes, it would hurt twice as much to get called Kano (Americano) in one of my country's former colonies :P

On 2/23/2022 at 6:58 PM, JamesR said:

The UK.

A child in standard English is a bairn in Scotland and Yorkshire-England.

A snicket is passageway between houses in the North of England, no one else knows what it means generally.

There are lots of examples.

USA: sidewalk, UK: pavement.

USA: Chips, UK: crisps

USA: wash up as to wash hands before eating, UK:wash up means washing the plates after eating.

I once asked a colleague while I was working in New Jersey if he fancied a fag and he looked at me in a funny way until I got the cigarette box out and offered him one as we call them "fags". 

Pardon the diversion but JamesR might be interested that in Sussex a passageway between houses is known as a "twitten", I think derived from betwixt and between. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

They say Bangkok to you as a courtesy because of your lack of Thai lingo but I guarantee when speaking to other Thais they use Krung Thep. 

Maybe up in the sticks where people are poorer and maybe have never traveled they use only Krung Thep, but I have heard more educated and ''travelled Thais'' in Bangkok and other areas saying either Krung Thep or Bangkok when they speak to each other. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JamesR said:

@LoongFredYou must be getting near to becoming an old bloke as my comment was in defence of the Thais and not against them, I did not complain about being called a farang, maybe you replied to the wrong comment?

Also using your comment it is also silly to get uptight about being called a bloke, alright mate, get over your arrogance. 😄

OK you fooled me.  Falang is a formal Thai language term. However not being British the informal term bloke is strange. However, I avoid those who talk that way.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

OK you fooled me.  Falang is a formal Thai language term. However not being British the informal term bloke is strange. However, I avoid those who talk that way.

Maybe you could explain how this term is used in formal (educated) English.  It seem to be used in more common working class  communications.  

Could you imagine a Thai street kid trying to hassle a foreigner by saying, " hay where you go, Bloke"? I doubt they could even say it.

There is also American specific slag, but not accepted as polite.

5 hours ago, Transam said:

Bloke is used widely in London (GB), where I come from, but it is not used in a sentence the way you have just written it.  🤭

It seems you will have to avoid all us Londoners for using London lingo....😂

Sounds good to me.👍

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Maybe you could explain how this term is used in formal (educated) English.  It seem to be used in more common working class  communications.  

Could you imagine a Thai street kid trying to hassle a foreigner by saying, " hay where you go, Bloke"? I doubt they could even say it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloke

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

So you claim not to be British and you seem not to understand what Bloke means. What nationality are you then that this word causes confusion to you? I’m happy to help clarify.  

On 2/24/2022 at 7:01 AM, Transam said:

Good for you, though the locals and my family call it Bangkok where we live, so that's good enough for me....😋

But, you carry on chum.....😉

Having danced on the glass floor of the hotel Mahanakhon I have no difficulty adding the extra syllables,

8 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I could not imagine a Thai, British or any other kid using your grammatically incorrect term.

Bloke is informal but has to be used in the correct context and one is never addressed with the title 'bloke', it is used when referring to someone.

There is a time to be formal and a time to be informal and a site like this does not have to be formal, we are not correspondents for the BBC are we?

Most of us can use either formal or informal English at will depending on the circumstances and using the word 'bloke' has nothing to do with class, unless you think Boris Johnson the UK PM who went to Eaton and Oxford is working class.

I suppose the other students I met at Oxford University were also working class as they used the word now and then sometimes.

You said, "There is also American specific slag, but not accepted as polite."

I can imagine a slag in any country will not be accepted as polite. 😄

8 hours ago, Transam said:

Bloke is used widely in London (GB), where I come from, but it is not used in a sentence the way you have just written it.  🤭

It seems you will have to avoid all us Londoners for using London lingo....😂

Don't worry, everyone no matter how he speaks tries to avoid @LoongFred

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

Don't worry, everyone no matter how he speaks tries to avoid @LoongFred

Thanks what I was wishing for. No loss at all only gains.

BTW terms like bloke and mate sound like they evolved from shipyard talk. I don't know only speculating.

14 hours ago, Transam said:

Then you should get out more, circulate, you will find the world is mainly made up of working class folk with their lingo, and not posh folk, that's not counting the fake posh blokes though, cos the fake posh blokes are actually working class in disguise, eh chap.....🧐.....................😋 

PS. Why do Americans call men "guy", where I come from, a guy is a fake man (dummy) that is put on top of a bonfire.....?   😯............🤭

The British also use the word 'guy', and have been for generations,  and 'guys' is used for both men and women which I have seen on many news channels when talking to a group of people, the BBC and other British channels use it.

I don't like the use of the word for women.

15 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Thanks what I was wishing for. No loss at all only gains.

BTW terms like bloke and mate sound like they evolved from shipyard talk. I don't know only speculating.

If you knew how to use google you wouldn't need to speculate and get it wrong so many times.