News Forum - Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon”

Thaiger

12 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I normally say "Khun Phud passad Thai dai mai clap", I seem to be understood.

But I do know of an instance when I as with a Thai from Bangkok  and we were in Krabi, she asked a local for directions and they had difficulty understanding each other. 

I have been in a few off the beaten tracks near Sichon in the south east and I don't have a clue what anyone is saying. 

Lots of people on this forum seem to think there is one standard Thai for the whole of the country as even when they say they have been there for 20, 30, 40 years they don't seem to have travelled much where they actually mix with the locals otherwise they would know there is a vast difference over the country in the way people speak Thai.

I remember the 1st time going to Chiang Mai and my wife(then gf) remarked that she didn't understand them 100%

With her basically living in Bangkok area most of her life 

• Like 1

Might get expensive because they have to change 'Bangkok' to 'Krung Thep Maha Nakhon' on each and every official document, website, road sign and so on.

9 hours ago, Stonker said:

Well, Thai may be your family's "native language", but since you asked me "khun putt Thai?!!" a while ago it evidently isn't yours, however much you like to constantly give the impression that it is and that you're fluent.

I'm not sure if you were trying to ask me if I spoke Thai or if I played golf as it's so wide of the mark.

So what is your point? And if you could read it the thai you had understood the joke! The other part was Bang Saray but it seems you couldn't put it together! Mai me samong! 

9 hours ago, JamesR said:

I normally say "Khun Phud passad Thai dai mai clap", I seem to be understood.

Exactly what anyone who speaks Thai would say - I can't recall ever asking anyone in Thai, but most here get asked by Thais enough times to know.

I didn't think anyone would give themselves away quite so badly, particularly on the 'net where all they needed was Google translate to bluff their way, but as Forrest Gump said .....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Exactly what anyone who speaks Thai would say - I can't recall ever asking anyone in Thai, but most here get asked by Thais enough times to know.

I didn't think anyone would give themselves away quite so badly, particularly on the 'net where all they needed was Google translate to bluff their way, but as Forrest Gump said .....

Comon speak thai with us! I want to see how funny google will translate it because google doesn't translate how you would say it in Thai slang😄😅🤣 I want to see how you answer when i tell you just a few words in thai 🤣😅😄🤪

6 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Comon speak thai with us! I want to see how funny google will translate it because google doesn't translate how you would say it in Thai slang😄😅🤣 I want to see how you answer when i tell you just a few words in thai 🤣😅😄🤪

Rules…. the must-dos!

1. Use English Language only when posting.

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2022 at 2:34 PM, Tim_Melb said:

When speaking to other Thais Thais always say Krung Thep, they only use Bangkok when speaking to a Farang or if they are speaking English for the benefit of a foreigner. 

I have heard Thais talking to Thais using both the words Bangkok and Krung Thep.

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

I have heard Thais talking to Thais using both the words Bangkok and Krung Thep.

As I said prior, I don't think I have ever heard Thais use anything but Krung Thep when speaking solely to another Thai

I have heard them use Bangkok in mix company..........

I asked my wife, she was born in Petchaburi, raised in Suphan Buri and grew up in Bangkok

So she's been in Bangkok or pretty close by all her life

She only uses Krung Thep amongst Thais..............others may be different

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

As I said prior, I don't think I have ever heard Thais use anything but Krung Thep when speaking solely to another Thai

I have heard them use Bangkok in mix company..........

I asked my wife, she was born in Petchaburi, raised in Suphan Buri and grew up in Bangkok

So she's been in Bangkok or pretty close by all her life

She only uses Krung Thep amongst Thais..............others may be different

Here is another permutation.

My ex-wife was born in Ayutthaya, grew up in BKK since the age of fifteen, went to university there, did her Masters degree in the UK, met me there in the UK, stayed and is still here now, she only every uses the word Bangkok when talking to anybody even when visiting Thailand. 

It seems there are no two people the same as each other.

I was speaking to my Thai partner today in Surath Thani, I was talking of the "Thai" language and I asked for examples of the Thai spoken in her area as I understand nothing they say, she said the word yai(big) in standard Thai was a completely different word in the local dialect. (She told me the word which I have forgotten.

👍

There are some occasions when Thais are forced to say Bangkok and one of them is when referring to the football team (and company) - Bangkok Glass

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

Here is another permutation.

My ex-wife was born in Ayutthaya, grew up in BKK since the age of fifteen, went to university there, did her Masters degree in the UK, met me there in the UK, stayed and is still here now, she only every uses the word Bangkok when talking to anybody even when visiting Thailand. 

It seems there are no two people the same as each other.

I was speaking to my Thai partner today in Surath Thani, I was talking of the "Thai" language and I asked for examples of the Thai spoken in her area as I understand nothing they say, she said the word yai(big) in standard Thai was a completely different word in the local dialect. (She told me the word which I have forgotten.

👍

I have a friend whose wife is from the South and her names for so many every day words are completely different than words used in Bangkok and other areas

I think that is more common in Asian countries than say the US/UK

On 2/22/2022 at 6:31 PM, Marc26 said:

I have a friend whose wife is from the South and her names for so many every day words are completely different than words used in Bangkok and other areas

I think that is more common in Asian countries than say the US/UK

The UK.

A child in standard English is a bairn in Scotland and Yorkshire-England.

A snicket is passageway between houses in the North of England, no one else knows what it means generally.

There are lots of examples.

USA: sidewalk, UK: pavement.

USA: Chips, UK: crisps

USA: wash up as to wash hands before eating, UK:wash up means washing the plates after eating.

I once asked a colleague while I was working in New Jersey if he fancied a fag and he looked at me in a funny way until I got the cigarette box out and offered him one as we call them "fags". 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 1:01 PM, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Enough already! I still have a hard time correctly pronouncing Suvarnabhumi. Pretty sure I have never said it correctly. But I still manage to get to the airport. 

dude I've been calling it 'Krung Thep Maha Nakjon' as soon as I heard Thai's using it to refer to the capital. it really ain't that hard, just open your ears and listen to what the locals tell you. 

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, HiuMak said:

Most Thai says Krung Thep, unless speaking in English to a foreigner.

Most foreigners use Bangkok.

And that is how it will remain. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Transam said:

Good for you, though the locals and my family call it Bangkok where we live, so that's good enough for me....😋

But, you carry on chum.....😉

Thanks Mr Thailand but I don't really care what you and yours do, I've heard more Thais use "KTMN" than "Bangkok" when speaking amongst themselves. this is in various places throughout the land but just Nakhon Nowhere.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Transam said:

Good for you, though the locals and my family call it Bangkok where we live, so that's good enough for me....😋

But, you carry on chum.....😉

Where do you live?

I do find that strange, not questioning the validity 

I've just always hear Thais say Krung Thep

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JamesR said:

The UK.

A child in standard English is a bairn in Scotland and Yorkshire-England.

A snicket is passageway between houses in the North of England, no one else knows what it means generally.

There are lots of examples.

USA: sidewalk, UK: pavement.

USA: Chips, UK: crisps

USA: wash up as to wash hands before eating, UK:wash up means washing the plates after eating.

I once asked a colleague while I was working in New Jersey if he fancied a fag and he looked at me in a funny way until I got the cigarette box out and offered him one as we call them "fags". 

I just found out the mother of my Thai partner can not speak Thai even though she is Thai, she can only speak the language of the Surat Thani region in the south, that explains why I never understand anything she says, a lot of older Thais are in that situation.

I know a guy who goes to Thai language school in Phuket and has been going for two years, he said it is not much use though as his wife is from Isaan and he does not understand what she is saying to other Isaan people. 

• Haha 2

On 2/19/2022 at 4:51 AM, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

So let’s suppose your nationality is British or French. 

You’d rather locals said: hey you British where you go? / hey you French where you go? - than hey you farang where you go? 

Id certainly very much rather be called farang. 

Or they could just shout “Hey you, where you go”. I wouldn't  shout “Hey you, Asian where you going” if I was in London. Not unless I wanted a potential smack in the mouth. 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

Or they could just shout “Hey you, where you go”. I wouldn't  shout “Hey you, Asian where you going” if I was in London. Not unless I wanted a potential smack in the mouth. 

I have never heard of a Thai asking "hey farang where you go."

I have heard, "where you go", "or where are you going" but they only use the word farang when talking about us, or referring to use between themselves. 

The thing with Asians in the UK is many hate the label, an Indian, Chinese, Pakistani and many more people are Asian but they hate being referred to as just Asian as one homogenised group as we would if we were referred to as European and not English , French etc.

15 hours ago, JamesR said:

I have heard, "where you go", "or where are you going" but they only use the word farang when talking about us, or referring to use between themselves. 

The thing with Asians in the UK is many hate the label, an Indian, Chinese, Pakistani and many more people are Asian but they hate being referred to as just Asian as one homogenised group as we would if we were referred to as European and not English , French etc.

I agree. So why do so many accept the homogenised term Farang? I accept it in the sense that there is nothing I can do about it and see it as an ignorant word on the part of those using it. I even use it myself sometimes, though feel disappointed in myself when I do. The only time I get annoyed by it is when it is used by officials such as Mr Anutin. 

15 hours ago, JamesR said:

Getting uptight about being  called a falang is supper stilly, and biased toward the Thais.  It a normal word in their language and many other languages have words to describe foreigners or foreign products. My advice is to get over your arrogance and realise that what you are. I personally don't like being called a bloke (sounds like bloated) or mate by someone of the same sex (not my sexual preference) but just ignore it, because of language differences. Suggest you do the same.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree. So why do so many accept the homogenised term Farang? I accept it in the sense that there is nothing I can do about it and see it as an ignorant word on the part of those using it. I even use it myself sometimes, though feel disappointed in myself when I do. The only time I get annoyed by it is when it is used by officials such as Mr Anutin. 

I accept it because there is nothing I can do and it does not bother me really.

I suppose to many Thais the white foreigners they meet mostly speak English to them no matter what nationality they are so they think we are the same.

I do know my Thai partner knows the difference as she worked as a receptionist and tour agent in a number of hotels in Phuket. 

Her personal experience of nationalities for example are, most French tourists are rude and demanding, the Italians think they can flirt with any woman they come across, the Brits are friendly but drink a lot, the Germans are well behaved and are straight to the point, the Ozzis are friendly but a bit crude sometimes, the Israelis hardly ever tip, they demand the lift and room lights be operated by staff on the Sabbath.

The list goes on.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Getting uptight about being  called a falang is supper stilly, and biased toward the Thais.  It a normal word in their language and many other languages have words to describe foreigners or foreign products. My advice is to get over your arrogance and realise that what you are. I personally don't like being called a bloke (sounds like bloated) or mate by someone of the same sex (not my sexual preference) but just ignore it, because of language differences. Suggest you do the same.

@LoongFredYou must be getting near to becoming an old bloke as my comment was in defence of the Thais and not against them, I did not complain about being called a farang, maybe you replied to the wrong comment?

Also using your comment it is also silly to get uptight about being called a bloke, alright mate, get over your arrogance. 😄

• Like 1