News Forum - Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon”

Thaiger

9 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

You as well can be included directly in that post. Back off little stevie.

It gets better, brilliant Charlie, your so predictable.😘😘

13 minutes ago, steve860 said:

It gets better, brilliant Charlie, your so predictable.😘😘

The Thaiger Talk Forum Guidelines

The Thaiger Talk Forum is a global community of diverse personalities all of whom deserve our respect and to feel comfortable with others’ opinions whether we agree with their views, or not.

Always remember that members are the first level of moderation on the Forum. Verify your sources are real and what you are posting includes your opinion. Do not be a misinformation re-poster!

Etiquette – How to be “nice”!

We would like you to be civil, polite, and respectful in your interactions with other members. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, JamesR said:

I see so should places like the UK insist its 40 ,million tourists a year only use the word London when referring to the capital city.

The French call it Londres, the Dutch call it Londen, the Italians call it Londra, the list goes on.

Oh yea, and some English northerners call it "That Lundn". 😀

Should there be a test at the immigration desk when entering Thailand, "Hello farang, what is the capital of Thailand?

Subject is GOVT’s dictating place names 

On 2/19/2022 at 11:25 AM, DiJoDavO said:

Maybe expats could change and say Krung Thep Maha Nakhon. But for tourists, that will be impossible. 

Unnatural govt-dictated place name changes are doomed to failure

6 hours ago, Stardust said:

As Thai is a native language in our family thats not true what you say and by the way if you would understand Thai the Thais are not discussing about Krung Thep it is about Maha Nakhon and plus the semicolon! If you would understand Thai read Thai news or Thai tv you would know about what is the discussion. And by the way Thais use both Bangkok and Krung Thep and by the way Bangkok is also Thai. Don't guess all what they talk in your small village in a remote area is usable for the whole country. Otherwise I ask you in which areas, towns in Thailand they call Bangkok " Mingkaow". I am looking forward for your answer!

I am guessing it is in Issan as they do speak their own language there which is based on Laos?

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

I am guessing it is in Issan as they do speak their own language there which is based on Laos?

Yes Isan but in this part based in khmer and lao Buri Ram, Surin, Sisaketh. Anyway Bangkok is used allover in Thailand, too. Northern is different than the southern Thai and in south east Isan the Isan, Lao and khmer. 

On 2/20/2022 at 12:46 AM, JamesR said:

I have heard hundreds of Thais using the word Bangkok and at other times Krung Thep at random, the two names seem to be interchangeable. 

When speaking to other Thais Thais always say Krung Thep, they only use Bangkok when speaking to a Farang or if they are speaking English for the benefit of a foreigner. 

7 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Reverted back to original name Volgograd after Stalin died ….. 

Actually the original name was Tsaritsyn until 1925 when Stalin renamed it Stalingrad, then Kruschov renamed it Volgograd in 1986 as part of his de-Stalinisation of the country. 

On 2/19/2022 at 4:51 AM, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

So let’s suppose your nationality is British or French. 

You’d rather locals said: hey you British where you go? / hey you French where you go? - than hey you farang where you go? 

Id certainly very much rather be called farang. 

In hopes of the non stop daily questions of the past decade of ---Where u from----maybe wristbands?

10 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

In hopes of the non stop daily questions of the past decade of ---Where u from----maybe wristbands?

It doesn't bother me that they ask where I'm from. Cuz to most Thais are foreigners are mostly either British or American. So I'm very happy to tell them I'm neither.

• Like 1

I always use Krung Thep when speaking with Thais, speaking either Thai or English, and Bangkok for non-Thais.

Thais hardly ever use Bangkok when speaking to me.

I think many foreigners here only hear Bangkok because of their lack of Thai language skills.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OOber said:

I always use Krung Thep when speaking with Thais, speaking either Thai or English, and Bangkok for non-Thais.

Thais hardly ever use Bangkok when speaking to me.

I think many foreigners here only hear Bangkok because of their lack of Thai language skills.

Again that is my experience 

I don't ever recall hearing Thais say Bangkok to each other 

They will say Bangkok in mixed company 

But when speaking Thai together I never heard anything but Krung Thep 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 9:13 PM, Fundok said:

You are of course right. Have corrected in the meantime. Sorry for being inaccurate.

Please accept my sincere apologies in return, for missing the earlier correction. Twas quite kind of you to respond to my post anyway, :D

22 hours ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

It doesn't bother me that they ask where I'm from. Cuz to most Thais are foreigners are mostly either British or American. So I'm very happy to tell them I'm neither.

I say Im from Mogadishu---just for the 1000 mile stare....

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2022 at 11:48 PM, Marc26 said:

...I don't think I've ever heard Thais say anything but Krung Thep when speaking Thai

Likewise - Krung Thep when talking to other Thais, Bangkok when talking to farangs.

Pretty simple.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:18 PM, Stardust said:

As Thai is a native language in our family thats not true what you say and by the way if you would understand Thai the Thais are not discussing about Krung Thep it is about Maha Nakhon and plus the semicolon! If you would understand Thai read Thai news or Thai tv you would know about what is the discussion. And by the way Thais use both Bangkok and Krung Thep and by the way Bangkok is also Thai. Don't guess all what they talk in your small village in a remote area is usable for the whole country. Otherwise I ask you in which areas, towns in Thailand they call Bangkok " Mingkaow". I am looking forward for your answer!

At this point I don't believe you are real......

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2022 at 1:18 PM, Stardust said:

Well, Thai may be your family's "native language", but since you asked me "khun putt Thai?!!" a while ago it evidently isn't yours, however much you like to constantly give the impression that it is and that you're fluent.

I'm not sure if you were trying to ask me if I spoke Thai or if I played golf as it's so wide of the mark.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Well, Thai may be your family's "native language", but since you asked me "khun putt Thai?!!" a while ago it evidently isn't yours, however much you like to constantly give the impression that it is and that you're fluent.

I'm not sure if you were trying to ask me if I spoke Thai or if I played golf as it's so wide of the mark.

I normally say "Khun Phud passad Thai dai mai clap", I seem to be understood.

But I do know of an instance when I as with a Thai from Bangkok  and we were in Krabi, she asked a local for directions and they had difficulty understanding each other. 

I have been in a few off the beaten tracks near Sichon in the south east and I don't have a clue what anyone is saying. 

Lots of people on this forum seem to think there is one standard Thai for the whole of the country as even when they say they have been there for 20, 30, 40 years they don't seem to have travelled much where they actually mix with the locals otherwise they would know there is a vast difference over the country in the way people speak Thai.

• Like 1