News Forum - Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon”

Thaiger

7 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I'm sorry if my presence in a public forum annoyed you. Feel free to report my posts if you find them offensive, or put me on ignore. 

It's an anonymous forum on t'internet. Relax. 

Anonymous or not, how about you just avoid replying to my posts and same as I will do for you and then everything will be just fine. I see no need to deal with people like you or you with me on this forum.

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Anonymous or not, how about you just avoid replying to my posts and same as I will do for you and then everything will be just fine. I see no need to deal with people like you or you with me on this forum.

I post where I like. 

• Like 4

I have lived in Thailand 15 years and have never heard a Thai person refer to it anything other than Bangkok. What is the guys problem?

Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam clarified that for a long time Thais have been calling the capital, “Krung Thep,” which is short for its ceremonial name, and that foreigners have been calling the capital “Bangkok.” He added that both names can still be used, but it is encouraged to use “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon” with foreigners as using the two names could get confusing.

The official name change was met with backlash from Thais. Some started an online campaign on Change.org opposing the new official name. Thai PBS World says that as of yesterday afternoon, the campaign had 2,700 signatures.

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Just a typical response from someone like you. Let’s hope it stays pleasant. 

You're doing a good job ignoring me there HC! 

• Haha 3

On 2/18/2022 at 12:37 PM, Pinetree said:

What a dumb ass

Encouraged by govt compulsory human pronoun speech in Canada? 
Simply NOT Govt business.

On 2/18/2022 at 1:26 PM, Fundok said:

True. A valuable contribution to my post. Thanks.

and Burma is, and always will be, Burma.Beijing & Kolkata have caught on because very similar to old names, so fair enough. Saigon, Hanoi, forever.

ditto Volgograd & St. Petersburg….

all dictators renaming places to sod off

• Like 1

I see so should places like the UK insist its 40 ,million tourists a year only use the word London when referring to the capital city.

The French call it Londres, the Dutch call it Londen, the Italians call it Londra, the list goes on.

Oh yea, and some English northerners call it "That Lundn". 😀

Should there be a test at the immigration desk when entering Thailand, "Hello farang, what is the capital of Thailand?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, marksailorman said:

I have lived in Thailand 15 years and have never heard a Thai person refer to it anything other than Bangkok. What is the guys problem?

Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam clarified that for a long time Thais have been calling the capital, “Krung Thep,” which is short for its ceremonial name, and that foreigners have been calling the capital “Bangkok.” He added that both names can still be used, but it is encouraged to use “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon” with foreigners as using the two names could get confusing.

The official name change was met with backlash from Thais. Some started an online campaign on Change.org opposing the new official name. Thai PBS World says that as of yesterday afternoon, the campaign had 2,700 signatures.

I have heard hundreds of Thais using the word Bangkok and at other times Krung Thep at random, the two names seem to be interchangeable. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Now girls, calm down.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fundok said:

Well, "Deutschland" is just the short version. Adopting the spirit of this Deputy PM I am encouraging him to use the official name which is "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" forthwith. Anything short of that could potentially hurt my feelings and those of my 82m kinsmen.

/s

They just say Germany!

And a friend told me, the Nationality "Deutsch" in the Passport, that made him a "Dutch", in the vaccination certificate. Because there is a big difference to Germany, but not so mucht to dutch!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, marksailorman said:

How many Thai people have you been around in that 15 years?

And are you saying that is how they refer to it when speaking to you?

Because I don't think I've ever heard Thais say anything but Krung Thep when speaking Thai

• Like 3

Krungthepmahanakorn has been stamped on the license plates on the cars there for a long time already?

So I would say yes, the Thai people use this name a lot, just not in casual conversation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Ummm duh! Krung Thep they have always used as the norm for speaking Thai, but not Krung Thep Maha Nakon.

That's what my Thai wife has confirmed to me and is what I have observed as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guest1 said:

They just say Germany!

And a friend told me, the Nationality "Deutsch" in the Passport, that made him a "Dutch", in the vaccination certificate. Because there is a big difference to Germany, but not so mucht to dutch!

Indeed, the nationality of Germans is "german" (=deutsch). Someone being "dutch" is from the Netherlands. Close neighbours, but not the same.

7 hours ago, oldschooler said:

and Burma is, and always will be, Burma.Beijing & Kolkata have caught on because very similar to old names, so fair enough. Saigon, Hanoi, forever.

ditto Volgograd & St. Petersburg….

all dictators renaming places to sod off

Stalingrad?

yeah, i see where they are going with the rebrand, bangkok always had a few ahem steamy connotations, but I dont think foreigners will force out four syllables compared to bkk

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

How many Thai people have you been around in that 15 years?

And are you saying that is how they refer to it when speaking to you?

Because I don't think I've ever heard Thais say anything but Krung Thep when speaking Thai

As Thai is a native language in our family thats not true what you say and by the way if you would understand Thai the Thais are not discussing about Krung Thep it is about Maha Nakhon and plus the semicolon! If you would understand Thai read Thai news or Thai tv you would know about what is the discussion. And by the way Thais use both Bangkok and Krung Thep and by the way Bangkok is also Thai. Don't guess all what they talk in your small village in a remote area is usable for the whole country. Otherwise I ask you in which areas, towns in Thailand they call Bangkok " Mingkaow". I am looking forward for your answer!

22 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I think you need to go talk to yourself and steer clear of me. You have nothing positive and are really starting to irk me. Back off!

Oh no, Charlie Bronson is back! 😂😂😂

16 hours ago, JamesR said:

I have heard hundreds of Thais using the word Bangkok and at other times Krung Thep at random, the two names seem to be interchangeable. 

Yes both is Thai and in some provinces they using Bangkok or Mingkaow.

• Like 1