News Forum - Deputy PM says foreigners should be encouraged to say “Krung Thep Maha Nakhon”

Thaiger

8 hours ago, Poolie said:

Yes, it's a bit like calling New York, 'New Amsterdam' isnt it?

Accept calling it Bangkok is like calling it "New Amsterdam" Bangkok is the anglicised version of Bahng Gawk’ (บางกอก) Which is what the place was called before it became "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" when the capital was moved there. 

7 hours ago, Fundok said:

Is this Deputy PM aware that this 4 word new name for Bangkok

It's not a new name, it's been the official name legally for 15 years and the Thais have been using that name for at least a hundred years. 

7 hours ago, Fundok said:

It amazes me how Thailand is really trying to make life difficult for foreigners. Is this Deputy PM aware that this 4 word new name for Bangkok, ooops, I mean of course "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" is both difficult to remember, pronounce and use for non-Thai speakers? That maybe there is a reason why there aren't that many capitols in the world that have a four letter name? Other than Ho-Chi-Minh city aka as Saigon nothing comes to my mind where a major city consists of four words. But hey, since Thailand does not have enough problems why not shoot yourself in the foot to find out if it'll hurt and bleed? No common sense can beat the experience thirst of a 6 yr old....

What about all of the major cities in India Bombay/Mumbai Calcutta/Kolkata etc. 

6 hours ago, Bike said:

This city is worldwide known as Bangkok. Even the flight code is BBK. And do they honestly thunk they can chamge the easily spoken word Bangkok can be changed into a tongue breaking Krungthep Mahanakon what so ever. This will take at least 1 genaration if not 2 or 3.

Rubbish people have happily adapted to Bombay becoming Mumbai etc India in only a few years. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fundok said:

It amazes me how Thailand is really trying to make life difficult for foreigners. Is this Deputy PM aware that this 4 word new name for Bangkok, ooops, I mean of course "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" is both difficult to remember, pronounce and use for non-Thai speakers? That maybe there is a reason why there aren't that many capitols in the world that have a four letter name? Other than Ho-Chi-Minh city aka as Saigon nothing comes to my mind where a major city consists of four words. But hey, since Thailand does not have enough problems why not shoot yourself in the foot to find out if it'll hurt and bleed? No common sense can beat the experience thirst of a 6 yr old....

No they just want people to show a little respect and stop using the anglicised version of an incorrect name that was created by arrogant colonial era ass. Just like Beijing instead of Peking or Mumbai instead of Bombay etc. 

Edited by Tim_Melb
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stardust said:

Sure my family sometimes, too but no one would expect that from foreigners and as you already mentioned only the short form. And ask any from them especially the younger ones if they use Krung Thep or Bangkok when they speak english or if they use BKK or KTMK even when they write in Thai. Sell shirts run KTMK and everybody including Thais would ask you what is it?

They can sell "RUN DMK", they sell "RUN BKK".

So what is/would be wrong with:

Run.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

Rubbish people have happily adapted to Bombay becoming Mumbai etc India in only a few years. 

When speaking Thai when speaking Thai the capital is usually referred to as Krung Thep and Bangkok is only used when speaking English. Krung Thep is preferred. This isn’t new and was in use for more than 50 years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grumpish said:

And the majority of  the inhabitants of Ho Chi Minh City, and most visitors, still refer to it as Saigon. Another Thai official proving to the world that he inhabits a parallel universe.

Not actually a fair comparison actually, the Communist Party of Vietnam decided to do that but uncle Ho never approved of it and as a result it was never made official so legally it's still actually Siagon and generally only party members call it HCMC locally. 

34 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

What about all of the major cities in India Bombay/Mumbai Calcutta/Kolkata etc. 

What about them? Still one word, pretty much the same number of letters. Now compare

Bangkok

with

Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

Could you make out any difference?

7 hours ago, Bike said:

Even the flight code is BBK.

The airport code is BKK. Yes. And DMK.

And there are enough examples, that even a capitol city airport code don't have to have anything to do with the name of the city!

What City airport is WGF, YOW, EVN, MLA, MRU?

Just 3 letters is not enough, to give every city there initials! So BKK will stay, no problem!

Krung Thep, Bangkok, same same

James Franco GIF

4 minutes ago, Fundok said:

What about them? Still one word, pretty much the same number of letters. Now compare

Bangkok

with

Krung Thep Maha Nakhon

Could you make out any difference?

Yes the locals call it Krung Thep, Krung Thep two syllables just like Bang kok, it's not that hard, grow up. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

No they just want people to show a little respect and stop using the anglicised version of an incorrect name that was created by arrogant colonial era ass. Just like Beijing instead of Peking or Mumbai instead of Bombay etc. 

Are you sure? Thailand was never a British colony. The internet says:

Bang บาง is a Thai word meaning 'a village on a stream', and the name might have been derived from Bang Ko (บางเกาะ), ko เกาะ meaning 'island', stemming from the city's watery landscape.

I fail to see any "anglicised version of an incorrect name that was created by arrogant colonial westerners" in this instance.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Are you sure? Thailand was never a British colony. The internet says:

Bang บาง is a Thai word meaning 'a village on a stream', and the name might have been derived from Bang Ko (บางเกาะ), ko เกาะ meaning 'island', stemming from the city's watery landscape.

I fail to see any "anglicised version of an incorrect name that was created by arrogant colonial era ass" in this instance.

Do your research properly or ask a local or even ask Tim from the Thaiger who also confirmed in one of their shows what I said in another post "Bangkok is the anglicised version of Bahng Gawk’ (บางกอก) Which is what the place was called before it became "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" when the capital was moved there." and the name is still in use referring to what is now still part of the city. 

Edited by Tim_Melb

2 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

That leaves only 2 questions: what is the motive & why is it important?

This discussion will give 'em enough reason, again, that foreigners are ignorant and thinking they know everything better. Even in case, it is often true 🙊, this is not our country, not our capitol, not our name to choose. The Thais are using "Krung Thep" all the time, Bangkok is more "international used", most often only by/with non Thais.

And: No one at immigration will tell you to fill out a new form, in case your first address is in Bangkok, not in Krung Thep. (At least I hope so ;-)

Aside that it is a done thing, already: Google Maps is accepting both!

• Like 2

Dear Deputy may i suggest I will try to use the new name when YOU refer to ME by my name or country citizenship, and NOT "you falang".....hey.......HEY..........You...You!....Falang!! Where u go???

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Dear Deputy may i suggest I will try to use the new name when YOU refer to ME by my name or country citizenship, and NOT "you falang".....hey.......HEY..........You...You!....Falang!! Where u go???

So let’s suppose your nationality is British or French. 

You’d rather locals said: hey you British where you go? / hey you French where you go? - than hey you farang where you go? 

Id certainly very much rather be called farang. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Yes the locals call it Krung Thep, Krung Thep two syllables just like Bang kok, it's not that hard, grow up. 

Easy for me, and locals can call it as they like. But I still fail to understand why I should refrain from using "Bangkok" and exchange it with four words as suggested by the deputy PM. What's wrong with"Bangkok"?

Only this miserable lot can be offended by a suggestion to use the proper local name

What a special breed of miserable......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tim_Melb said:

Do your research properly or ask a local or even ask Tim from the Thaiger who also confirmed in one of their shows what I said in another post "Bangkok is the anglicised version of Bahng Gawk’ (บางกอก) Which is what the place was called before it became "Krung Thep Maha Nakhon" when the capital was moved there." and the name is still in use referring to what is now still part of the city. 

I did some research. Wikipedia says:

The origin of the name Bangkok (บางกอก, pronounced in Thai as [bāːŋ kɔ̀ːk] (audio speaker iconlisten)) is unclear. Bang บาง is a Thai word meaning 'a village on a stream',[13] and the name might have been derived from Bang Ko (บางเกาะ), ko เกาะ meaning 'island', stemming from the city's watery landscape.[9] Another theory suggests that it is shortened from Bang Makok (บางมะกอก), makok มะกอก being the name of Elaeocarpus hygrophilus, a plant bearing olive-like fruit.[d] This is supported by the former name of Wat Arun, a historic temple in the area, that used to be called Wat Makok.[14]

Officially, the town was known as Thonburi Si Mahasamut (ธนบุรีศรีมหาสมุทร, from Pali and Sanskrit, literally 'city of treasures gracing the ocean') or Thonburi, according to the Ayutthaya Chronicles.[15] Bangkok was likely a colloquial name, albeit one widely adopted by foreign visitors, who continued to use it to refer to the city even after the new capital's establishment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok

So maybe we can agree that a) there is some uncertainty about the origin and b) that "foreign visitors" are not identical with a colonial power (aß insinuated by you).

If you feel you want to use Krung Thep or even Krung Theo Maha Nakhon - go for it. But for foreigners it would make more sense to leave it at Bangkok. Put it this way: Outside Thailand hardly anyone will have heard about Krung Thep whereas everyone will have heard of Bangkok. As if the Thai tourism industry isn't having any other problems...

1 hour ago, Lyp14 [ctxa] said:

So let’s suppose your nationality is British or French. 

You’d rather locals said: hey you British where you go? / hey you French where you go? - than hey you farang where you go? 

Id certainly very much rather be called farang. 

FWIW, I don't take offence at Farang at all. In Japan, we'd be called "gaijin" and in China "guailo". It's just a convenient local shorthand.

10 hours ago, Guest1 said:

This discussion will give 'em enough reason, again, that foreigners are ignorant and thinking they know everything better. Even in case, it is often true 🙊, this is not our country, not our capitol, not our name to choose. The Thais are using "Krung Thep" all the time, Bangkok is more "international used", most often only by/with non Thais.

And: No one at immigration will tell you to fill out a new form, in case your first address is in Bangkok, not in Krung Thep. (At least I hope so ;-)

Aside that it is a done thing, already: Google Maps is accepting both!

No big deal, just a differentiation between Foreigners and Locals, BKK vs KTMN