News Forum - 80 year old Australian man kicked to the ground in Chiang Mai road altercation

Thaiger

7 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

Apparently it is a raised crossing.
(At least from what other posters have noted in the other thread about this incident.)

I'm sure most people can understand the frustration people feel when nearly getting run over by an asshat.
I personally think its quite justifiable to bang someones car as they try to drive through you.

It's utterly unjustifiable to get out of said car, and flying kick someone from behind, especially an old man in his 80's.  

Fair justice here would be the asshat losing his driving licence for at least a year, and having to redo the testing etc again from scratch, plus the usual wai'ing to say sorry to the victim, etc etc.

Possibly it he would not be able to redo his test, only take a test if he never had a real license in the first place  as is the case with so many Thais

3 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

(At least from what other posters have noted in the other thread about this incident.)

I'm sure most people can understand the frustration people feel when nearly getting run over by an asshat.
I personally think its quite justifiable to bang someones car as they try to drive through you.

It's utterly unjustifiable to get out of said car, and flying kick someone from behind, especially an old man in his 80's.  

Fair justice here would be the asshat losing his driving licence for at least a year, and having to redo the testing etc again from scratch, plus the usual wai'ing to say sorry to the victim, etc etc.

I will go there and and have a look to see whether it is or not .

Did he really nearly get run over by a car ?

If he did then its his own fault for stepping out in front of a car .

Did you read my previous post ?

The car driver may not have been aware,.................Actually I am just writing the same thing as I did in my previous post .

If old men are young enough to hit other peoples property, they are young enough for retribution . 

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

I will go there and and have a look to see whether it is or not .

Did he really nearly get run over by a car ?

If he did then its his own fault for stepping out in front of a car .

Did you read my previous post ?

The car driver may not have been aware,.................Actually I am just writing the same thing as I did in my previous post .

If old men are young enough to hit other peoples property, they are young enough for retribution . 

@Fluke. Whilst, yesterday, I supported your 50:50 stance on this issue, your implied approval of 'retribution' for the driver's violence is not to my liking and hence my 'Sad' reaction.

Maybe this thread has had more than its justified air-time but let's hope that restrained input may justify its presence.

Thanks

KC

• Cool 1

21 hours ago, Stardust said:

Ok then i missunderstood his point I thought he means the opposite

13 hours ago, bushav8r said:

Good luck with that and be careful who you attempt to bribe. 

13 hours ago, gummy said:

So as a matter of interest how long have you lived permanently in Thailand ? I am aware you are not here now but whilst you were here what sort of business did you run ? I think you will find that dependent as to how long you have lived here and also if you have run a business here you will almost certainly be exposed for a request for a bribe.

Now, do not forget that the RTP also incudes immigration and customs departments, the latter,  if you are an importer here are the worst of the lot. Of course just coming here occasionally as a well behaved foreigner , perhaps for a month or two break, which I suspect perhaps is your normal then you may well be lucky and not having exposure to corruption by the RTP but if like many of us here you have been here a very long , ran a business in say the entertainment sector, or had a business involving a lot of importation then you would most certainly have been asked for "tea" money.

10 hours ago, Faz said:

Staying on topic, minor traffic violations are dealt with by on the spot fines, that's the law.

Turned right at a traffic light (green). There was no other traffic. While turning, I saw the "do not turn right" sign too late. Totally my fault. Police officer on motorbike around the corner... Apparently it's a known place to wait for the next sucker...

Officer very polite, pointing out the sign, me apologising.

He said "I must fine you a little", got a laminated list of the traffic fines from his motorbike, showed me in English that the fixed fine was 500 baht and asked if I wanted to go to the police station to pay, or pay there and then. I had a 100 baht and three 1000 baht notes on me, which he saw as I opened my wallet. He didn't have change so took the 100 between the laminated fine list. Finished.

I doubt it was handed over at the police station, but saved me a recorded traffic offence fine and a lot of time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

Very clearly not a raised crossing - you can see another car driving over it in the video.

43 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Very clearly not a raised crossing - you can see another car driving over it in the video.

You say that, I said that, but HolyCowCM who lives there says otherwise.  He's likely the most correct out of all of us.

Links below:

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, King Cotton said:

@Fluke. Whilst, yesterday, I supported your 50:50 stance on this issue, your implied approval of 'retribution' for the driver's violence is not to my liking and hence my 'Sad' reaction.

Maybe this thread has had more than its justified air-time but let's hope that restrained input may justify its presence.

Thanks

KC

I didn't approve of the retribution of the Thai guy kicking the Aussie , I quite clearly stated that I don't agree with either of their actions , just pointing out that if you hit passing vehicles , its quite likely that they will be repercussions .

My stance is that people in Thailand should cross the road when there are no cars coming and don't expect cars to stop just because you want to cross the road .

That is my advice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shanghailoz said:

You say that, I said that, but HolyCowCM who lives there says otherwise.  He's likely the most correct out of all of us.

Links below:

I went there today and had a look and the crossing is at the height of in-between the road and the pavement .

Road level , crossing raised a bit and pavement a bit higher , three different levels 

• Cool 1

45 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I went there today and had a look and the crossing is at the height of in-between the road and the pavement .

Road level , crossing raised a bit and pavement a bit higher , three different levels 

It's in the vid between the 21 and 27 second point, and again, more clearly, between 58 and 1:03 - where there's a car parked on the zebra crossing!

It's as you say, but arguably it's not actually a "raised crossing" - the whole road's raised slightly maybe five metres before and five metres after the crossing all the way in front of the entrance.

Whether that meets the definition of a "raised crossing" I don't know, but it's not like any raised crossing I've seen.

• Cool 1

7 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's in the vid between the 21 and 27 second point, and again, more clearly, between 58 and 1:03.

It's as you say, but arguably it's not actually a "raised crossing" - the whole road's raised slightly maybe five metres before and five metres after the crossing all the way in front of the entrance.

Whether that meets the definition of a "raised crossing" I don't know, but it's not like any raised crossing I've seen.

You kind of get a different perspective if you were leaving the supermarket or driving a car  

If you were leaving the supermarket  and crossing the road there seems to be a slightly lowered/higher walkway to cross the road to the car park , although if you were driving a car , due to the general roads unevenness , pot holes and things , you probably wouldnt notice the difference  .

Its neither one or the other , just meets at the half way point 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

I also couldn't help noticing that although he's happy to slap the car for being in the wrong on the zebra, he's equally happy to bimble down the road afterwards, a good two metres out from the kerb, although there's a perfectly good pavement he should be on.

That doesn't justify the driver's actions, but .....

• Cool 1

I remember turning on to a street here in CM and pissed off a driver I got in front of.  I was on a Ducati and they pulled up at a stop light next to me.  I ignored the crap BECAUSE as a farang, had I done anything, there’s a possibility other Thais would get into the mix and leaving on a green light might not happen.  Oh, and I’d be sued  to take care of them for their issue.  Live here long enough and learn it’s a lot different than travels here.  

• Cool 1

On 8/25/2021 at 1:27 AM, Fluke said:

Yes, you shouldn't drop kick anyone , let lone an old man.

I can honestly say I have never drop kicked anyone over 70.

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

If you guys are looking for an elevated peak for a crossing like a bridge or plateau then no. If you drive your car or ride your bike you can indeed see and feel it has a small increase on either side being a slightly noticeable distinguished raise in to the crosswalk "even if you were blind" in a vehicle or on a bike. I really don't understand why you are trying to disprove this as anything you say will not change the fact that is indeed slightly higher than the road, more noticeable on onside than the other. Forget about bad road and chuckholes etc, that is irrelevant. And besides that is the part and the direction the Thai guy came from so he should have been extra slow coming form the bad road side.

Go back to the video, and you will see a see another car going up and down coming from the riverside. Now that first side is less angle than the other side but unless you are old and your eyesight is not up to par then you don't have an excuse, and if that is the case, then you should not be driving or riding a bike. Period! 

So if you look, the Thai guy came from the other side going towards the river way, and that side is definitely more raised noticeable elevated. And if you look the car swerves to not stop. Quit making up things just to suit your needs. BTW, and most CM folk who go that way know Rimping and know the crosswalk, but the fact is the Thai guy had a very obvious incline to go up on the direction he was driving..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

If you guys are looking for an elevated peak for a crossing like a bridge or plateau then no. If you drive your car or ride your bike you can indeed see and feel it has a small increase on either side being a slightly noticeable distinguished raise in to the crosswalk "even if you were blind" in a vehicle or on a bike. I really don't understand why you are trying to disprove this as anything you say will not change the fact that is indeed slightly higher than the road, more noticeable on onside than the other. Forget about bad road and chuckholes etc, that is irrelevant. And besides that is the part and the direction the Thai guy came from so he should have been extra slow coming form the bad road side.

Go back to the video, and you will see a see another car going up and down coming from the riverside. Now that first side is less angle than the other side but unless you are old and your eyesight is not up to par then you don't have an excuse, and if that is the case, then you should not be driving or riding a bike. Period! 

So if you look, the Thai guy came from the other side going towards the river way, and that side is definitely more raised noticeable elevated. And if you look the car swerves to not stop. Quit making up things just to suit your needs. BTW, and most CM folk who go that way know Rimping and know the crosswalk, but the fact is the Thai guy had a very obvious incline to go up on the direction he was driving..

Whom are you replying to ?

• Like 1

Just now, Fluke said:

Whom are you replying to ?

Just saying it is more than what was said as being nothing. And the Thai guy came from the more elevated way that has a definite oosh to it.. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Just saying it is more than what was said as being nothing. And the Thai guy came from the more elevated way that has a definite oosh to it.. 

But the bottom line is that right or wrong , Thais/foreigners shouldn't expect cars to stop at zebra crossings , yes they should do, but the reality is that they usually do not . 

Attacking cars because they dont follow the rules is asking for trouble 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Just watched the video and it is shocking runs up behind him drop kicks him then runs away. Coward. Doubtful he was ready to prevent the fall he could have smashed his face in, suffered a skull fracture very easy if your ready to protect yourself. This Coward Committed an assault plain and simple. Who cares if it was a raised crossing or the old guy smacked the top of a car you cannot justify a common assault. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

If you guys are looking for an elevated peak for a crossing like a bridge or plateau then no.

Sorry @HolyCowCm, but I can't find the likely 'guys' your explaining things to . . . an excellent crossing outline, nonetheless!

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

But the bottom line is that right or wrong , Thais/foreigners shouldn't expect cars to stop at zebra crossings , yes they should do, but the reality is that they usually do not . 

Attacking cars because they dont follow the rules is asking for trouble 

Yep, I will agree with you. Especially there at that crosswalk which seems notorious for Thai drivers to speed up when they see a cross walker. Kind of like trying to beat the train to the train crossing and make it over first. Yesterday I clearly stopped for a pedestrian on my way home at the lighted crosswalk just after Spicey (daytime 5pm), the person on bike left to me stopped same as me, and then a kid worker didn't stop a looked as if did not see me and came so close to me he swerved and missed me by 30cm. If he would have hit me it was so fast I would have been hurt if direct hit. Anyway, I sped up to him and yelled at him in Thai. He knew he was wrong as you could see it in his eyes and face.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Sorry @HolyCowCm, but I can't find the likely 'guys' your explaining things to . . . an excellent crossing outline, nonetheless!

For the sanctify of keeping the quiet, it doesn't matter who it is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:34 PM, franckl said:

Old white boomer asked for it. White farangs need to file down their fangs and pick up some manners and learn a bit about civility.

Yes the driver a hero, kicking an old man in the back, I suppose that would be your game as well.

3 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Here’s a pic folks of the cross walk of raised mound question. Taken today! 

IMG_0517.MOV

45125E50-D471-4541-9F20-5ECF3B57D13D.jpeg

CA5605C5-D35C-431B-827C-DEAEBA69AF5B.jpeg

That is about half the size of the Woman , the zebra crossing must be at least one meter high of the road level , that is the size of a bridge ....................either that or you put your camera at an angle to make it appear to ne huge ?

• Haha 2