News Forum - 80 year old Australian man kicked to the ground in Chiang Mai road altercation

Thaiger

4 hours ago, bushav8r said:

The elderly man was clearly venting his frustration and yet turned his back and walked away as if there could be no consequence for his action.  The enraged car driver could have jumped out with a knife or a gun.  I think most people quickly learn that pedestrians have no "right of  way" in Thailand and act accordingly.  Still very shameful for someone to drop kick an old man.

Yes you are quite right in my book. However there has been some comments as to why the 80yr old didn't press charges etc etc and the hospital charges paid by the car driver.

Well on balance perhaps both of them saw the error of there ways. Of course it was wrong , and illegal for the car driver to act in that way and similarly banging on the car which may well have caused minor damage too is similarly illegal. Two hot headed people who hopefully will learn and as you say @bushav8r he should have known there is no respect shown to people on crossings in Thailand

41 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

The old guy would have accepted the apology and offer to pay for any medical expenses - and the Police would have tried to make that happen. Hopefully going forward the grumpy old bugger stops hitting cars who do not give way to him, and the young man is shamed into behaving better in the future when dealing with grumpy old Expats.   

This has been my experience with Thai law enforcement.  They try very hard to reach a settlement that is acceptable to everyone...everyone saves face and no one is unduly punished.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

This has been my experience with Thai law enforcement.  They try very hard to reach a settlement that is acceptable to everyone...everyone saves face and no one is unduly punished.

Especially so if they, the RTP, can be given a little contribution for their considerate behaviour

10 hours ago, Faraday said:
11 hours ago, franckl said:

Old white boomer asked for it. White farangs need to file down their fangs and pick up some manners and learn a bit about civility.

Fantastic post Frank, absolutely stunning, so compassionate.

You ever thought about a career as a counsellor?

Perhaps there's a vacancy for a hangman somewhere?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, yetanother said:

" the attacker later contacted the 8 decade old man he’d kicked from behind, apologised, and paid his hospital bills. The foreigner, whose name hasn’t been revealed, declined to press charges."

that is a mistake ! this isnt about hospital bills or an apology;

this was an assault; that is against the law everywhere;

this aussie just let another person get away with assaulting him when the law is the recourse, that is one of the reasons why it is there;

rewarding bad behavior ? pretty much

What law?? The farang would have been charged for J walking. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JTCarius said:

I guess I am just selfish.

I can't stop thinking about that fantastic pizza just around the corner.🍕

Dukes restaurant has the pizza there. I order it every so often. Better cheaper price than those pizza chains and more delicious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Dukes restaurant has the pizza there. I order it every so often. Better cheaper price than those pizza chains and more delicious.

Have you tried the pizza from Mad dog and how , actually I may start a new thread 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Have you tried the pizza from Mad dog and how , actually I may start a new thread 

Over my decades in CM I can say I have only eaten at Mad dogs once. Just not my family's sort of a place. Also it is a sort of a foreigner hang out like a bar atmosphere which we do not ever do. No pubs either. So we choose every other thing that there is, and so nothing against pubs or Mad dogs, but it is me who has to live with my wife and kids and they just don't go that way. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

“Charming Chiang Mai”

It really is , isn't it ?

Edited by Nobodysfriend

16 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Sorry for the guy but I learned in Asia that you don't apply common sense or rules of your country. Zebra means nothing, just like a traff light. Look left, look right and proceed with caution. You never have a right of the way 

what ever the circumstance or where it happened,to drop kick a 80 year old is indefinable

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, harry1 said:

what ever the circumstance or where it happened,to drop kick a 80 year old is indefinable

Yes, you shouldn't drop kick anyone , let lone an old man .

But you also should go around banging on peoples cars .

Being old doesn't give you a pass card for bad behavior 

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

48 minutes ago, Fluke said:

Yes, you shouldn't drop kick anyone , let lone an old man .

But you also should go around banging on peoples cars .

Being old doesn't give you a pass card for bad behavior 

Best wishes for the old man's recovery but also good to see someone bold enough to stand by the 'two sides to every argument' maxim.

• Like 3

I'd want to meet him in person to receive the apology, only after he had paid all the bills and then ask him to bend over after I put on my steel capped boots. He wouldn't do it again after that 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

3 hours ago, harry1 said:

Easily defined - the guy was a dick, perhaps you mean indefensible?

• Cool 1

18 hours ago, Faraday said:

Fantastic post Frank, absolutely stunning, so compassionate.

You ever thought about a career as a counsellor?

I think @franckl attitude is why the world is such a shitty place. Look at the logic at work here. Guy walks across a zebra crossing. Selfish idiot nearly runs him over. Guy hits car and asshole in car sees he’s an old guy and being the big brave cowards the Thai men are, he gets out of his car to hit him. I’d have liked to see him have a go at someone in their 20’s or 30’s. He’d have sat quietly behind his blacked out windows making racist remarks to himself no doubt. The real problem here is that it shouldn’t need the guy to press charges. A crime has been committed and the police need to prosecute. Do your job! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, gummy said:

Yes you are quite right in my book. However there has been some comments as to why the 80yr old didn't press charges etc etc and the hospital charges paid by the car driver.

Well on balance perhaps both of them saw the error of there ways. Of course it was wrong , and illegal for the car driver to act in that way and similarly banging on the car which may well have caused minor damage too is similarly illegal. Two hot headed people who hopefully will learn and as you say @bushav8r he should have known there is no respect shown to people on crossings in Thailand

I agree with the calm assessment of this incident and good no serious harm came from it. The old guy is lucky the coward didn’t have a machete in his car. But think of this in the timeline that it happened. Guy is walking and nearly gets hit. His reaction (although wrong) would have been almost reflex. He was no doubt shocked and scared by the event and lashed out. The guy in the car should have had a reflex reaction of “oh shit, I nearly hit him”. But no, he had the “reflex reaction” of unclipping his seat belt (maybe!), opening the car door. Getting out of the car, and then taking the deliberate action of attacking the guy. Total coward in my book.  

• Like 2

I guarantee that if the roles were reversed,  and a Falange driver did that to an 80 year old Thai, he’d be immediately jailed,  face a stiff sentence and “fine”,   just before he gets jumped in his cell by 6 or more Thais. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think @franckl attitude is why the world is such a shitty place. Look at the logic at work here. Guy walks across a zebra crossing. Selfish idiot nearly runs him over. Guy hits car and asshole in car sees he’s an old guy and being the big brave cowards the Thai men are, he gets out of his car to hit him. I’d have liked to see him have a go at someone in their 20’s or 30’s. He’d have sat quietly behind his blacked out windows making racist remarks to himself no doubt. The real problem here is that it shouldn’t need the guy to press charges. A crime has been committed and the police need to prosecute. Do your job! 

People need to realise that cars dont always stop at zebra crossings , sometimes dont even stop at red lights , you should never walk into the road when theres a car coming as it may or may not stop . 

Did the Aussie really nearly get hit by the car , or was the just annoyed that the car didn't stop at the zebra crossing .

Could be that the Aussie thought that the car should have stopped and gave the car a whack because it didnt .

If you hit other peoples property , they may take retribution .

The Aussie should have waited until no cars were coming before attempting to cross the road , its a small back street and cars dont go fast and its located just prior to an intersection where the cars stop anyway

• Like 1

19 hours ago, franckl said:

Old white boomer asked for it. White farangs need to file down their fangs and pick up some manners and learn a bit about civility.

This shows on wich level you are. Who let the pigs out? By the way China is still listed as a development country because of their low level , Europe is the most civiliced in the world. It is funny when undeveloped unciviliced 3rd world countries talking about civiliced or learning something and are in all fields low standard and uneducated. And you showed us your mindset and uncivilized standard because to kick an 80 years in the back or dont let cross the street is the lowest level, undevelopped and uncivilized.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

People need to realise that cars dont always stop at zebra crossings , sometimes dont even stop at red lights , you should never walk into the road when theres a car coming as it may or may not stop . 

Did the Aussie really nearly get hit by the car , or was the just annoyed that the car didn't stop at the zebra crossing .

Could be that the Aussie thought that the car should have stopped and gave the car a whack because it didnt .

If you hit other peoples property , they may take retribution .

The Aussie should have waited until no cars were coming before attempting to cross the road , its a small back street and cars dont go fast and its located just prior to an intersection where the cars stop anyway

Who knows the full details. I haven’t seen the dash cam footage so I don’t know. Either way, it’s a silly thing to “smack” a car but doesn’t deserve anything other than a few strong words. Certainly not a physical assault. It’s easy to suffer road rage. I frequently wish I had rocket propelled grenades to fire at the way some people drive in Thailand 😂