News Forum - 80 year old Australian man kicked to the ground in Chiang Mai road altercation

Thaiger

7 hours ago, 9S_ said:

Let’s say you’re driving around the road and you get pulled over. The cop is at your window, does he:

a) give you a ticket

b) ask for a bribe

c) gives you a warning. 

it’s A. It’s always A.

Nah just kidding it’s B. Other counties its A or C but in Thailand it’s B

No joke the first time I encountered this scenario the cop kept pointing his front chest pocket, signaling me to put cash in there. 

Good luck with that and be careful who you attempt to bribe. 

4 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

It wasn't exactly a high speed chase when he drove away in his white Bronco.  He was later convicted in civil court.

Yet, hasn't paid a cent in compensation.

8 hours ago, 9S_ said:

Let’s say you’re driving around the road and you get pulled over. The cop is at your window, does he:

a) give you a ticket

b) ask for a bribe

c) gives you a warning. 

it’s A. It’s always A.

Nah just kidding it’s B. Other counties its A or C but in Thailand it’s B

No joke the first time I encountered this scenario the cop kept pointing his front chest pocket, signaling me to put cash in there. 

They know that foreigners are an easy mark. And they usually give in.

Thais that I know have never put up with this BS - 

23 hours ago, gummy said:

Especially so if they, the RTP, can be given a little contribution for their considerate behaviour

Maybe so...how else can they acquire a vast estate and and fleet of expensive cars?  I have always had positive dealings with Thai police and have never been solicited for brown envelopes full of cash.

1 minute ago, bushav8r said:

Maybe so...how else can they acquire a vast estate and and fleet of expensive cars?  I have always had positive dealings with Thai police and have never been solicited for brown envelopes full of cash.

So as a matter of interest how long have you lived permanently in Thailand ? I am aware you are not here now but whilst you were here what sort of business did you run ? I think you will find that dependent as to how long you have lived here and also if you have run a business here you will almost certainly be exposed for a request for a bribe.

Now, do not forget that the RTP also incudes immigration and customs departments, the latter,  if you are an importer here are the worst of the lot. Of course just coming here occasionally as a well behaved foreigner , perhaps for a month or two break, which I suspect perhaps is your normal then you may well be lucky and not having exposure to corruption by the RTP but if like many of us here you have been here a very long , ran a business in say the entertainment sector, or had a business involving a lot of importation then you would most certainly have been asked for "tea" money.

22 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

I have always had positive dealings with Thai police and have never been solicited for brown envelopes full of cash.

How does this have anything to do with the topic of this thread?  I realize you didn't lead us down this street, but is it too difficult to discuss the topic at hand without digressing?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gummy said:

So as a matter of interest how long have you lived permanently in Thailand ? I am aware you are not here now but whilst you were here what sort of business did you run ? I think you will find that dependent as to how long you have lived here and also if you have run a business here you will almost certainly be exposed for a request for a bribe.

Now, do not forget that the RTP also incudes immigration and customs departments, the latter,  if you are an importer here are the worst of the lot. Of course just coming here occasionally as a well behaved foreigner , perhaps for a month or two break, which I suspect perhaps is your normal then you may well be lucky and not having exposure to corruption by the RTP but if like many of us here you have been here a very long , ran a business in say the entertainment sector, or had a business involving a lot of importation then you would most certainly have been asked for "tea" money.

Did you pay bribes?

16 minutes ago, gummy said:

Need to allow these folks to learn and experience for themselves, Gummy. 

As there tends to be a slight naive side to some, which of course sheds after exposure to real life here.

7 minutes ago, Rain said:

Need to allow these folks to learn and experience for themselves, Gummy. 

As there tends to be a slight naive side to some, which of course sheds after exposure to real life here.

You can live in Thailand for as long as you like.  It won't make you smarter.  You can brag about how long you have lived there, but if you are stupid, you will always be stupid.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

You can live in Thailand for as long as you like.  It won't make you smarter.  You can brag about how long you have lived there, but if you are stupid, you will always be stupid.

Or as I would say, hard of learning.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

Did you pay bribes?

If we wanted 3million $ worth of oilfield equipment cleared by customs so it could be installed to meet a production deadline of course. 

1 hour ago, bushav8r said:

Good luck with that and be careful who you attempt to bribe. 

I never bribe anyone!

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

I simply put money in a persons front pocket

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

Or I “pay” the “fine” on the spot

lana del rey love GIF

Or hide the “fine” under my ID card when I hand it over the nice man who stopped me because he cares about my safety

wink wink i can relate GIF

not a “bribe”

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

How does this have anything to do with the topic of this thread?  I realize you didn't lead us down this street, but is it too difficult to discuss the topic at hand without digressing?

Digressing can lead to interesting  conversation.  In this case it did not.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 7:42 PM, Griff1315 said:

Charming Chang Mai

Maybe the TAT can use this in one of their tourist attraction video's 

I won't go into all the details, but back in the UK, A guy probably near my age, stepped out in front of me and I pumped my horn at him, be thumped my bonnet, I got out and walloped him, then drove away and left him lying there.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I won't go into all the details, but back in the UK, A guy probably near my age, stepped out in front of me and I pumped my horn at him, be thumped my bonnet, I got out and walloped him, then drove away and left him lying there.

So your as bad as this Thai what's that prove Thugs rule ?

• Cool 1

3 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

So your as bad as this Thai what's that prove Thugs rule ?

You could look at it form the other perspective .

Allowing people to attack your property without retribution would then allow "thugs" to rule  . Physically attacking thugs may make them consider their actions in the future .

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Fluke said:

You could look at it form the other perspective .

Allowing people to attack your property without retribution would then allow "thugs" to rule  . Physically attacking thugs may make them consider their actions in the future .

So the 80 year old aussie was a thug?

I think more just a disgruntled old man. He shouldn't have hit the guys car but that in no way excuses the attack made on him.

• Cool 1

12 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

So the 80 year old aussie was a thug?

I think more just a disgruntled old man. He shouldn't have hit the guys car but that in no way excuses the attack made on him.

Why is age relevant ?

Whacking other peoples cars when they drive by is indeed thuggish /loutish anti social behavior .

It was quite a measured response (Not that I agree with or would do what either of them did) 

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

Why is age relevant ?

Whacking other peoples cars when they drive by is indeed thuggish /loutish anti social behavior .

It was quite a measured response (Not that I agree with or would do what either of them did) 

Given that it was a raised crossing, that the driver is legally supposed to stop for pedestrians at, I don't begrudge the man his behaviour.

Getting out and drop kicking the man from behind compounds it.  

He should lose his driving licence at the very least for his behaviour

• Cool 1

12 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

Given that it was a raised crossing, that the driver is legally supposed to stop for pedestrians at, I don't begrudge the man his behaviour.

Getting out and drop kicking the man from behind compounds it.  

He should lose his driving licence at the very least for his behaviour

It wasn't a raised crossing though , it was just painted white lines on the road . 

You can watch the video and there are people crossing the road and vehicles going by slowly , all he had to do was to wait a few more seconds for the car to pass .

Where it happened is outside the supermarkets entrance and there are usually a few people hanging around waiting outside , there being shake sellers and lottery ticket sellers and ATM machines and the driver may not have realised he was wanting to cross the road.

Its a quiet road with not much traffic and it may have been him being self centered and arrogant and thinking the World revolves around him .

Was it actually a near  miss or was the Aussie angry because the car didnt stop to let him cross the road ?

BTW, it would be unlikely that he would lose his licence for not stopping at a zebra crossing 

7 minutes ago, Fluke said:

It wasn't a raised crossing though , it was just painted white lines on the road . 

You can watch the video and there are people crossing the road and vehicles going by slowly , all he had to do was to wait a few more seconds for the car to pass .

Where it happened is outside the supermarkets entrance and there are usually a few people hanging around waiting outside , there being shake sellers and lottery ticket sellers and ATM machines and the driver may not have realised he was wanting to cross the road.

Its a quiet road with not much traffic and it may have been him being self centered and arrogant and thinking the World revolves around him .

Was it actually a near  miss or was the Aussie angry because the car didnt stop to let him cross the road ?

BTW, it would be unlikely that he would lose his licence for not stopping at a zebra crossing 

Apparently it is a raised crossing.
(At least from what other posters have noted in the other thread about this incident.)

I'm sure most people can understand the frustration people feel when nearly getting run over by an asshat.
I personally think its quite justifiable to bang someones car as they try to drive through you.

It's utterly unjustifiable to get out of said car, and flying kick someone from behind, especially an old man in his 80's.  

Fair justice here would be the asshat losing his driving licence for at least a year, and having to redo the testing etc again from scratch, plus the usual wai'ing to say sorry to the victim, etc etc.

• Like 2