News Forum - 80 year old Australian man kicked to the ground in Chiang Mai road altercation

Thaiger

Just now, Rain said:

Hmmm...

Wonder how such a discussion might develop if said victim was an elderly Thai gentlemen. 

Curiosity driven.

How would the discussion had developed had it been a young Westerner attacking an old Thai mans car ?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fluke said:

People need to realise that cars dont always stop at zebra crossings , sometimes dont even stop at red lights , you should never walk into the road when theres a car coming as it may or may not stop . 

Did the Aussie really nearly get hit by the car , or was the just annoyed that the car didn't stop at the zebra crossing .

Could be that the Aussie thought that the car should have stopped and gave the car a whack because it didnt .

If you hit other peoples property , they may take retribution .

The Aussie should have waited until no cars were coming before attempting to cross the road , its a small back street and cars dont go fast and its located just prior to an intersection where the cars stop anyway

Again, and for the second time today @Fluke, I have to say you've got this sad matter in a fair, 2-sided perspective.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bushav8r said:

This has been my experience with Thai law enforcement.  They try very hard to reach a settlement that is acceptable to everyone...everyone saves face and no one is unduly punished.

You are choking, every Thai and everybody who lives a while in Thailand knows how Thai law enforcement works. You are talking from another country but surly not from Thailand. Everybody who born in Thailand or live long enough here must spitting his coffee over the table while reading this. Maybe you ask Capt. Jo Ferrari how it works.

5 hours ago, BJoe said:

I guarantee that if the roles were reversed,  and a Falange driver did that to an 80 year old Thai, he’d be immediately jailed,  face a stiff sentence and “fine”,   just before he gets jumped in his cell by 6 or more Thais. 

In one BJoe. First your paraded in the police station where the old Thai guy  collects the basket of fruit you are made to pay for once you have settled all his bills, then after finger pointing for the press your hauled off to the cells where the pack of thais are waiting for you. You will be beaten severely with the police turning a blind eye, you may survive the beating.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stardust said:

You are choking, every Thai and everybody who lives a while in Thailand knows how Thai law enforcement works.

Perhaps with your vast experience, you could enlighten us how the traffic law enforcement works then.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rain said:

Hmmm...

Wonder how such a discussion might develop if said victim was an elderly Thai gentlemen. 

Curiosity driven.

It doesn't matter what nationality if a 80 year old person want to cross the street you care about that because it is not easy for him, thats it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Faz said:

Perhaps with your vast experience, you could enlighten us how the traffic law enforcement works then.

Maybe you talk to Thai how it mostly works or are you sarcastic. I think most people living here know about or you live not here. And it is not about my experience it is what everybody knows except not living here or not long, not speaking thai, etc.

4 minutes ago, Stardust said:

It doesn't matter what nationality if a 80 year old person want to cross the street you care about that because it is not easy for him, thats it. 

Nah - not buying this.

It gets play because the old fart is Farang - a random Farang at that. 

6 minutes ago, Rain said:

Nah - not buying this.

It gets play because the old fart is Farang - a random Farang at that. 

I understand what you mean, then I should use the word should. 

7 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Maybe you talk to Thai how it mostly works or are you sarcastic. I think most people living here know about or you live not here. And it is not about my experience it is what everybody knows except not living here or not long, not speaking thai, etc.

No, I asked because you stated to @bushav8r that anyone who lives here a while would know.
Apologies, I didn't realise you were a tourist and don't actually know.

• Like 3

Just now, Faz said:

No, I asked because you stated to @bushav8r that anyone who lives here a while would know.

Omg 

9 minutes ago, Faz said:

Oooh burn!

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, bushav8r said:

This has been my experience with Thai law enforcement.  They try very hard to reach a settlement that is acceptable to everyone...everyone saves face and no one is unduly punished.

Definitely agree. My co-workers husband drove drunk one night and ended up killing a person and putting another in a coma. He fled the scene. Fortunately other drivers followed him home and called the cops. He didn’t go to jail for ruining 2 young lives rather he ended paying out to both victims’ families. They accepted and he’s walking free. 

If he did that in the US he’d be in jail. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

Definitely agree. My co-workers husband drove drunk one night and ended up killing a person and putting another in a coma. He fled the scene. Fortunately other drivers followed him home and called the cops. He didn’t go to jail for ruining 2 young lives rather he ended paying out to both victims’ families. They accepted and he’s walking free. 

Really?  I recall a certain OJ Simpson murdered his wife, went on a merry drive away from the cops, and then got away with it.

Money talks, bs walks..

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Stardust said:

You are choking, every Thai and everybody who lives a while in Thailand knows how Thai law enforcement works

Let’s say you’re driving around the road and you get pulled over. The cop is at your window, does he:

a) give you a ticket

b) ask for a bribe

c) gives you a warning. 

it’s A. It’s always A.

Nah just kidding it’s B. Other counties its A or C but in Thailand it’s B

No joke the first time I encountered this scenario the cop kept pointing his front chest pocket, signaling me to put cash in there. 

2 minutes ago, shanghailoz said:

OJ Simpson

His lawyer got him off the hook by claiming that the cops were racist (which had nothing to do with the case) but managed to convince the jury they targeted him because of his race.

It’s the Chewbacca defense:

In regards to my co-worker and her husband. I don’t think they were particularly rich, maybe middle class. I’m not sure how much they paid out to the victims families but enough not to spend a day in jail ever. 

4 hours ago, Rain said:

Hmmm...

Curiosity driven.

Maybe expensive, it depends which amount would be accepted. Just sombody asked how things will be settled in traffic law enforcement. But maybe it was a joke or sarcasm.

17 minutes ago, 9S_ said:

Let’s say you’re driving around the road and you get pulled over. The cop is at your window, does he:

a) give you a ticket

b) ask for a bribe

c) gives you a warning. 

it’s A. It’s always A.

Nah just kidding it’s B. Other counties its A or C but in Thailand it’s B

No joke the first time I encountered this scenario the cop kept pointing his front chest pocket, signaling me to put cash in there. 

Ok then i missunderstood his point I thought he means the opposite

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Ok then i missunderstood his point I thought he means the opposite

I mean the users coment I misunderstood not the cop 😅

1 hour ago, 9S_ said:

image.png.b07b28e0c35ada5414e13fca5d5acea7.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

He should have waited until there were no cars coming before trying to cross the road, if you watch the video you will see a group of Thais slowly crossing the road just after he tried to . He should had waited a few seconds for the car to pass 

6 hours ago, 9S_ said:

What's with the U.S. comparative, which have nothing to do with anything?

49 minutes ago, Rain said:

What's with the U.S. comparative, which have nothing to do with anything?

So you’re saying my own lived experience doesn’t have to do with anything related to my coworkers husband killing a guy and permanently disabling another because of drunk driving? 

When my father was killed by a drunk driver when I was 8 years old, are you saying it has nothing to do with anything, especially so when I recounted my coworkers husband killed a guy and permanently disabled another because of drunk driving?

And drunk driver was rightfully sent to jail for 16 years doesn’t matter, are you saying his sentencing is irrelevant in light of the fact I recounted how my coworkers husband decided to drive while drunk, killed a man who was a riding a motorcycle and permanently disabled his passenger, as well as, the husband not spending a day in jail as you say 

49 minutes ago, Rain said:

which have nothing to do with anything?

My lived experience matters. Next time when someone mentions America try not be easily dismissive  

Except when that person defends resident

Edited by 9S_
Context

7 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

Really?  I recall a certain OJ Simpson murdered his wife, went on a merry drive away from the cops, and then got away with it.

Money talks, bs walks..

It wasn't exactly a high speed chase when he drove away in his white Bronco.  He was later convicted in civil court.