News Forum - Thailand anticipates American tourism influx due to Songkran

Thaiger

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I experienced the "American thing"

I still do

So I don't know how you, a non-American, can tell me what I do or don't experience......

It didn't then or doesn't now bother me in the slightest

As you said, I just tell people my government is not me.....

But it is absolutely something that I do deal with, as an American 

Many people will bring up Trump, either good or bad

As you see, I make my feelings known on here but I have no deisre to talk about that stuff in real life, so I usually deflect any of that talk

But it is not an "American Thing", it is a "Preconceived Idea Thing" which affects all nationalities. 

It is not special to the Americans. 

For example, in the USA, where I worked twice people would say, ah English, fish and chips, rain and umbrellas would then follow.

Many thought it rained all the time in the UK, we all carried umbrellas while scoffing fish and chips.

But some generalisations are correct for example I worked in Germany from Monday to Friday for a few years and flew back to England each Friday evening, I was reminded each time how polite the British are in general compared to the Germans, eg having exited a door you look to see if anyone is behind you and if so you keep the door open for them.

Germany no, the door is released immediately.

You bump into someone and both people automatically say sorry no matter whose fault it is, the Germans might have a go at you. 

But in general, the Germans are very honest and straightforward people so they have their good points too as all nationalities do. 

Edited by PhuketBloke
typo

On 3/26/2024 at 11:04 PM, Vigo said:

I avoid Songkran. I will be out of Thailand. I notice that when I get to the airport  that I am not alone.Many hi sois start the exodus early to get the best airfares and flights. TG , NH, JL and SQ flights  to Japan and Singapore sell out fast.

I'm flying on an SQ flight.   I cant' wait to get on the airplane.

1 hour ago, PhuketBloke said:

But it is not an "American Thing", it is a "Preconceived Idea Thing" which affects all nationalities. 

It is not special to the Americans. 

For example, in the USA, where I worked twice people would say, ah English, fish and chips, rain and umbrellas would then follow.

Many thought it rained all the time in the UK, we all carried umbrellas while scoffing fish and chips.

But some generalisations are correct for example I worked in Germany from Monday to Friday for a few years and flew back to England each Friday evening, I was reminded each time how polite the British are in general compared to the Germans, eg having exited a door you look to see if anyone is behind you and if so you keep the door open for them.

Germany no, the door is released immediately.

You bump into someone and both people automatically say sorry no matter whose fault it is, the Germans might have a go at you. 

But in general, the Germans are very honest and straightforward people so they have their good points too as all nationalities do. 

I'm not going to argue this one with you....

You know better than me, as a non-American, my experience as an American. 😀

You win....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I'm not going to argue this one with you....

You know better than me, as a non-American, my experience as an American. 😀

You win....

I can say the same, as an American you can not see the experiences of non-Americans. 

You will find them to be the same I am guessing regarding how people see us.

That is true, especially in Thailand where we are all Farangs, there is no difference between all of us farangs. 

There is no special treatment or negative treatment towards Americans as opposed to non-Americans.

Oh except many Americans think the rest of the world accepts dollars as to them it is an international tourist currency as most do not travel outside of North America, and do not know if they visit Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras, Cuba, Panama, etc they are still on the same North American continent as the USA. 😄

I forgot that North America includes Central America. Just done learned me something. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vigo said:

I forgot that North America includes Central America. Just done learned me something. 

There is no such continent as Central America.

North and South, that is all you get. 😄

14 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

I can say the same, as an American you can not see the experiences of non-Americans. 

You will find them to be the same I am guessing regarding how people see us.

That is true, especially in Thailand where we are all Farangs, there is no difference between all of us farangs. 

There is no special treatment or negative treatment towards Americans as opposed to non-Americans.

Oh except many Americans think the rest of the world accepts dollars as to them it is an international tourist currency as most do not travel outside of North America, and do not know if they visit Mexico, Nicaragua, Honduras, Cuba, Panama, etc they are still on the same North American continent as the USA. 😄

I'm only given you my experience as an American 

Again, I don't really care what you think about that, to be completely honest....

I gave my experience, wasn't saying I was singled out or treated badly

I even expressed many times that I didn't care about it

But you seemed to want to turn it into something that wasn't being portayed.....

So be my guest

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I'm only given you my experience as an American 

Again, I don't really care what you think about that, to be completely honest....

I gave my experience, wasn't saying I was singled out or treated badly

I even expressed many times that I didn't care about it

But you seemed to want to turn it into something that wasn't being portayed.....

So be my guest

Leave it at that as we seem to be talking at cross purposes and you seem to be taking it the wrong way so let's leave it there.

It is not that important an issue. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

It is not that important an issue. 

Yet, you decided that it needed to be made one, in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, MrStretch said:

Yet, you decided that it needed to be made one, in the first place.

That is the problem with such text exchanges, they can be interpreted in many different ways due to lack of cues, tone of voice, and a host of other things including the personality, ego, and many other things relating to the reader. 

Such noddy messages which are there to give me a few minutes break from programming are never serious, they are just a bit of fun. 

7 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

That is the problem with such text exchanges, they can be interpreted in many different ways due to lack of cues, tone of voice, and a host of other things including the personality, ego, and many other things relating to the reader. 

Such noddy messages which are there to give me a few minutes break from programming are never serious, they are just a bit of fun. 

Acknowledged.  And if I misinterpreted anything, my apologies.

40 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Acknowledged.  And if I misinterpreted anything, my apologies.

No problem, thanks for your reply,  it is good fun while taking a break, to exchange messages.