News Forum - Thailand anticipates American tourism influx due to Songkran

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Arabs and Indians

That's what he means and they are everywhere......

You can keep them up there.  Nary any in Hat Yai.

And the Chinese, while you're at it.

37 minutes ago, cowslip said:

THe US founded the tourist sex industry in Thailand.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...

7 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic...

That says more about you than anything

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

That says more about you than anything

Sure, asking if you're joking about something so stupid could itself be stupid, but if you weren't in fact joking, you couldn't more strongly demonstrate a single-digit IQ.

So.

6 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

Sure, asking if you're joking about something so stupid could itself be stupid, but if you weren't in fact joking, you couldn't more strongly demonstrate a single-digit IQ.

So.

QED

3 hours ago, cowslip said:

THe US founded the tourist sex industry in Thailand.

That's actually false.....

Well I would say partially 

Although the American GI's spending their R&R in Thailand certainly popularized it and you could say is the impetus for the sex tourism we see today and the past decades

But from all accounts it seemed to explode from the Japanese occupation during WW2

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

That's actually false.....

Well I would say partially 

Although the American GI's spending their R&R in Thailand certainly popularized it and you could say is the impetus for the sex tourism we see today and the past decades

But from all accounts it seemed to explode from the Japanese occupation during WW2

I said "tourist sex industry" not the use of "comfort women" by the Japanese occupiers. Tourism is not part of Thailand's economy during WW2. Prostitution in Thailand has been a major part of Thai society for centuries. THe US first with the troops and then with tourists founded the tourist sex industry.

53 minutes ago, cowslip said:

I said "tourist sex industry" not the use of "comfort women" by the Japanese occupiers.

No, you said the US founded the "tourist sex industry" and are now backtracking to appear deliberate. Factually, undeniably, the US did not found sex tourism in Thailand. The US is partially responsible for a spike in the industry's popularity following the Vietnam war but by no means did the US found sex tourism in Thailand, which is what you stated.

QED.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

No, you said the US founded the "tourist sex industry" and are now backtracking to appear deliberate. Factually, undeniably, the US did not found sex tourism in Thailand. The US is partially responsible for a spike in the industry's popularity following the Vietnam war but by no means did the US found sex tourism in Thailand, which is what you stated.

QED.

Not backtracking at all - "The US founded the tourist sex industry in Thailand." - there is no back tracking whatsoever that is as near as you can get to fact - it's history and reading - you need to learn both.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cowslip said:

that is as near as you can get to fact - it's history and reading - you need to learn both

No, it isn't. I guess Google is broken today? Otherwise ostensibly you would have just looked this up. Or are you a Stickman Bangkok historian? I only ask because I can't imagine why would would continue to entrench yourself in such an indefensible position. The US did not found sex tourism in Thailand. That isn't near to fact, it is an actual fact.

Anyway, Songkran likely won't be attracting any more American tourists than usual and even if it did, they wouldn't be going for Songkran.

31 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Not backtracking at all - "The US founded the tourist sex industry in Thailand." - there is no back tracking whatsoever that is as near as you can get to fact - it's history and reading - you need to learn both.

You're a clown show.  

2 hours ago, cowslip said:

I said "tourist sex industry" not the use of "comfort women" by the Japanese occupiers. Tourism is not part of Thailand's economy during WW2. Prostitution in Thailand has been a major part of Thai society for centuries. THe US first with the troops and then with tourists founded the tourist sex industry.

I don't think many would dispute that the Vietnam War and American GI's didn't promote sex tourism in Thailand 

And I don't know a ton of history on it....

But I do think there were plenty of soldiers returning to Thai between WW2 and the Vietnam War to partake 

Maybe it wasn't the full blown tourism that we see today surrounding it though 

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I don't think many would dispute that the Vietnam War and American GI's didn't promote sex tourism in Thailand 

And I don't know a ton of history on it....

But I do think there were plenty of soldiers returning to Thai between WW2 and the Vietnam War to partake 

Maybe it wasn't the full blown tourism that we see today surrounding it though 

Tourist sex industry was founded by the US. First the military and then the first tourists.  Look at the hotels and where it developed. It was where the US had stayed.

The sex industry in Thailand developed a sector which was specifically designed to cater for westerners based on their first American customers. It also became very suited to Euopean tastes but it was founded by American customers.

2 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Tourist sex industry was founded by the US. First the military and then the first tourists.  Look at the hotels and where it developed. It was where the US had stayed.

And a very fine industry it is hope it never changes. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 23RD said:

And a very fine industry it is hope it never changes. 

Hardly call the exploitation of women "fine".

35 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Hardly call the exploitation of women "fine".

You do if you're not into Ladyboy's. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cowslip said:

The sex industry in Thailand developed a sector which was specifically designed to cater for westerners based on their first American customers. It also became very suited to Euopean tastes but it was founded by American customers.

Can you at least acknowledge that this is your opinion? Not factually correct? Because it is a complete fabrication. You think Thailand's first sex tourists came after the Vietnam war? Jesus.

Edited by ThaiFoodGuy

The history of prostitution (largely referring to foreigners partaking of it while in Thailand), from Wikipedia:

The documented history of prostitution in Thailand goes back at least six centuries, with overt and explicit references by the Chinese voyager Ma Huan (1433) and subsequently by European visitors (Van Neck, 1604; Gisbert Heeck, 1655 and others).[52] Thailand has an ancient, continuous tradition of legal texts, generally described under the heading of Dhammasattha literature (Thai pron., tam-ma-sat), wherein prostitution is variously defined and universally banned. The era of traditional legal texts came to an end in the early 20th century, but these earlier texts were significant in regard to both the writ and spirit of modern legislation.[53]

The abolition of slavery in 1905 left many women who had been bought as concubines in a state of homelessness and unemployment. Many of these became prostitutes, primarily serving migrant Chinese labourers in the country. In 1908 prostitution was legalised and medical care was provided to prostitutes[46] under the Contagious Diseases Prevention Act, one of a variety of laws relating to the sex industry passed during the twentieth century.[48] During World War II, large numbers of brothels were opened to serve occupying Japanese soldiers, and subsequently the British and Indian military stationed in the country after the war had ended.[46] In the 1950s the Thai prime minister Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat initiated a morality campaign which included the aim of criminalising prostitution through the imposition of fines and imprisonment. A system of medical examinations and "moral rehabilitation" was introduced and the focus of public blame was moved from traffickers and procurers to the prostitutes themselves.[54]

During the Vietnam War, Thailand's decision to offer "Rest and Recreation" facilities to US forces deployed in the region brought in considerable income to the country, raising the number of prostitutes there from around 20,000 in 1957 to around 400,000 in 1964.[46][55] Prostitution itself was made illegal in Thailand[20] in 1960, when a law was passed under pressure from the United Nations.[56] The government instituted a system of monitoring sex workers in order to prevent their mistreatment and to control the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.[17] The Entertainment Places Act was introduced in 1966 to place further restrictions on the sex industry.[48]

During the Cold War, Japanese businesmen went on sex tourism with Filipino women, Thai women and South Korean women.[57][58]

Since the end of the Vietnam War, there has been an enormous expansion in prostitution in Thailand, resulting in it reaching its present prominence.[59] The 1960 law was repealed by the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996). Under this law prostitution as such is technically illegal.

• Like 1

Can you at least acknowledge that this is your opinion? Not factually correct? Because it is a complete fabrication. You think Thailand's first sex tourists came after the Vietnam war? Jesus.

And who were they?

The history of prostitution (largely referring to foreigners partaking of it while in Thailand), from Wikipedia:

The documented history of prostitution in Thailand goes back at least six centuries, with overt and explicit references by the Chinese voyager Ma Huan (1433) and subsequently by European visitors (Van Neck, 1604; Gisbert Heeck, 1655 and others).[52] Thailand has an ancient, continuous tradition of legal texts, generally described under the heading of Dhammasattha literature (Thai pron., tam-ma-sat), wherein prostitution is variously defined and universally banned. The era of traditional legal texts came to an end in the early 20th century, but these earlier texts were significant in regard to both the writ and spirit of modern legislation.[53]

The abolition of slavery in 1905 left many women who had been bought as concubines in a state of homelessness and unemployment. Many of these became prostitutes, primarily serving migrant Chinese labourers in the country. In 1908 prostitution was legalised and medical care was provided to prostitutes[46] under the Contagious Diseases Prevention Act, one of a variety of laws relating to the sex industry passed during the twentieth century.[48] During World War II, large numbers of brothels were opened to serve occupying Japanese soldiers, and subsequently the British and Indian military stationed in the country after the war had ended.[46] In the 1950s the Thai prime minister Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat initiated a morality campaign which included the aim of criminalising prostitution through the imposition of fines and imprisonment. A system of medical examinations and "moral rehabilitation" was introduced and the focus of public blame was moved from traffickers and procurers to the prostitutes themselves.[54]

During the Vietnam War, Thailand's decision to offer "Rest and Recreation" facilities to US forces deployed in the region brought in considerable income to the country, raising the number of prostitutes there from around 20,000 in 1957 to around 400,000 in 1964.[46][55] Prostitution itself was made illegal in Thailand[20] in 1960, when a law was passed under pressure from the United Nations.[56] The government instituted a system of monitoring sex workers in order to prevent their mistreatment and to control the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.[17] The Entertainment Places Act was introduced in 1966 to place further restrictions on the sex industry.[48]

During the Cold War, Japanese businesmen went on sex tourism with Filipino women, Thai women and South Korean women.[57][58]

Since the end of the Vietnam War, there has been an enormous expansion in prostitution in Thailand, resulting in it reaching its present prominence.[59] The 1960 law was repealed by the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996). Under this law prostitution as such is technically illegal.

Pity you can't read or understand what you pasted.

You display a huge lack of knowledge of Thailand and apparently an inability to read my post .

Your comments are uninformed and irrelevant to my post. For some reason you are oblivious to this 

Thailand was a big R&R destination during the Vietnam war

and started what we know now as the gogo bars culture,

as for prostitution, it's been there in every country since the beginning of time, in a form or another

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Pity you can't read or understand what you pasted.

You display a huge lack of knowledge of Thailand and apparently an inability to read my post .

Your comments are uninformed and irrelevant to my post. For some reason you are oblivious to this

You're hilarious! I love the "I know you are but what am I" approach to debate, I haven't experienced it since I was 9 or 10 so really this is nostalgic 😄 You're wrong, but think you're right, and won't let your lying eyes deceive you. Your stoic dedication to being incorrect is impressive!

The US did not found the sex tourism industry. I've provided an undeniable resource supporting my position.

Happy Songkran ya freaks!

On 3/21/2024 at 8:56 AM, MrStretch said:

I think, as is usual, the TAT is whistling up imaginary numbers.

Considering the prevailing sentiment regarding personal economics that seems to be a constant topic of conversation in US news, I doubt that as many people as they think are going to make the trip, even for an "extended" Songkran, which never made sense to me in the first place.

Erm, for some reason many people think that North America only consists of the USA, there are twenty three countries in North America.

The article also mentions South America which contains twelve countries.

It reminds me of the myth of the American War of Independence where the colonists fought against the British and defeated them.

At least 30% of the colonists fought on the British side, many Americans switched sides frequently and the Brits were also at war with the Dutch and their colonies, the French and their colonies, and the Spanish and their colonies at the same time so it was a mini world war in effect. 

The French, Dutch, Americans, and Spanish should also celebrate on the 4th of July.😀