What happened to all you Football Fans?

Lowseasonlover

The old Arsenal wobble well underway, slipped from 1st to 4th in a couple of weeks.

Impressed with the Cottagers last night, resurgence of late. I think Tom Cairney's return to the starting line-up is a big part of it. He doesn't do the pretty stuff, but the midfield looks more assured.

• Like 2

Arsenal, my pick (last year) for the EPL title, have gone on the wonk. Might have to change my mind.

If Toon can get the points at Anfield. it will be a great holiday for Villa and the Irons. Could shape up to be a real exciting second half to the season.

• Like 2

United 'interested' in Bundesliga ace

According to a report by Fussball Transfers, United, along with Newcastle United, have 'come knocking' for Stuttgart striker Serhou Guirassy.

The Guinea international has been in sparkling form in Germany so far this season, scoring 19 goals in just 16 appearances in all competitions. Seventeen of his 19 goals have been plundered in the Bundesliga - a record that only Harry Kane can better.

It is reported that Guirassy, who has been heavily linked with a move to United in recent months, has a release clause within his contract that can be triggered this month. It is reportedly worth just €17.5million.

• Like 1

United's first six fixtures of 2024

After a relentless December, January will see United play just twice, with the first of those two games coming against Wigan Athletic in the FA Cup in a week's time.

With that said, here is a quick rundown of United's first set of assignments this year:

• Wigan Athletic (A) - FA Cup third round - January 8
  • Tottenham Hotspur (H) - Premier League - January 14
  • Wolves (A) - Premier League - February 1
  • West Ham United (H) - February 4
  • Aston Villa (A) - February 11
  • Luton Town (A) - February 18

• Like 1

Well, just watched a reply of Liverpool vs Newcastle United at Anfield. Liverpool deserved to win, no question, but the game was ruined for me by the diving and all the paradoxes of VAR.

Two blatant dives, two penalties for Liverpool. The second one was just ridiculous, Jota ran four steps after being feathered by contact and then went down. That game has left a very nasty taste.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Well, just watched a reply of Liverpool vs Newcastle United at Anfield. Liverpool deserved to win, no question, but the game was ruined for me by the diving and all the paradoxes of VAR.

Two blatant dives, two penalties for Liverpool. The second one was just ridiculous, Jota ran four steps after being feathered by contact and then went down. That game has left a very nasty taste.

Diving!! Some say the foreigners brought it in to the English game**. Though City had one in Francis Lee. Edwardo (Arsenal) was the worst - or best, if one considers it an art form in fooling the ref - that I've seen in England. Ashley Young was good at it too.

Diving is cheating in my book. What to do? I think the clubs - through the managers and coaches - should insist that none of their players indulge. After all, you do it, and the following week it's done to you. Even Stevens. Only occasionally does it make a huge difference. But that occasion is one too many. Too much dosh in the game now to get it out seemingly. After all, a well-executed dive 'could' be worth millions.

** In the early days it was called play-acting or deception or simulation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

Diving!! Some say the foreigners brought it in to the English game**. Though City had one in Francis Lee. Edwardo (Arsenal) was the worst - or best, if one considers it an art form in fooling the ref - that I've seen in England. Ashley Young was good at it too.

Diving is cheating in my book. What to do? I think the clubs - through the managers and coaches - should insist that none of their players indulge. After all, you do it, and the following week it's done to you. Even Stevens. Only occasionally does it make a huge difference. But that occasion is one too many. Too much dosh in the game now to get it out seemingly. After all, a well-executed dive 'could' be worth millions.

** In the early days it was called play-acting or deception or simulation.

Franny Lee was well known for it in them days, 

• Like 1

Ineos have 13 Manchester United transfers to investigate that's what I'm being told.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Going to be a big transfer window I’d say. Who’s going where?

I'd like to see Trossard go back to Brighton.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

I'd like to see Trossard go back to Brighton.

I wonder if he’s regretting the move. Main man at the Seagulls to the forgotten man at the Gunners…

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Going to be a big transfer window I’d say. Who’s going where?

Looks like Sancho is on his way to Dortmund, loan deal

Manchester United have ended Sergio Reguilon loan early on his way back to Spurs 

• Like 1

I think United and Chelsea will both unload.

Toon, Irons, Toffeez and Seaagils could all show interest in any cut-price offerings.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 3:57 PM, BigHewer said:

I wonder if he’s regretting the move. Main man at the Seagulls to the forgotten man at the Gunners…

Whats your thoughts on the Sunderland v Newcastle game, I took a look and it's all pretty even, the last 3 games Sunderland have won twice, 

Games won:53

Games drawn:49

Games lost:53

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 6:46 PM, SnapDragon said:

I think United and Chelsea will both unload.

Toon, Irons, Toffeez and Seaagils could all show interest in any cut-price offerings.

I think the seagulls are very set in their ways about what type of player they want. I hope that doesn’t put them at a disadvantage in the upcoming sales…

2 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Whats your thoughts on the Sunderland v Newcastle game, I took a look and it's all pretty even, the last 3 games Sunderland have won twice, 

Games won:53

Games drawn:49

Games lost:53

I think the black cats are on the up, won't be long before they're back in the premier league. And they always lift for the derby.  I wouldn't be surprised if they won.

Some talking points on Sky this morning about the game. Apparently management decorated one executive suite at the stadium of light with Newcastle kit (and were flogging tickets at 500 quid a go). Big backlash from the supporters. And now they've put a Sunderland kit on the Alan Shearer at SJP in the middle of the night.

A bit of tension building up, could be a real cracker.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Newcastle United vs Manchester City was a smashing game, one of the best of the season. City deserved the win, though quality and passion all the way through. Gordon's goal for the Toon was a peach, one of the best individual goals you'll ever see. Newcastle United did very well considering how thin their squad is. 2-1 up, 30 minutes to go, on comes De Bruyne with Grealish still in reserve. City are a machine and will march to the title again in my opinion.

Eddie Howe's recent comments are interesting.

1. NUFC can't spend big because of FFP restrictions.

2. NUFC have very friends in the transfer market.

I think there is a lot to read between the lines here. I may be football conspiracy theorist, but I think the comments have an agenda and see the following:

- Everyone knows the Toon have money. These comments lower expectations on what they can spend. They can justify bidding less on players.

- Regarding 'friends', they have plenty in Saudi Arabia so could a loan deal or two be on the cards? Again, loan on the cheap so no FFP issues.

Either way, I can't see the Toon going through January without getting reinforcements.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Newcastle United vs Manchester City was a smashing game, one of the best of the season. City deserved the win, though quality and passion all the way through. Gordon's goal for the Toon was a peach, one of the best individual goals you'll ever see. Newcastle United did very well considering how thin their squad is. 2-1 up, 30 minutes to go, on comes De Bruyne with Grealish still in reserve. City are a machine and will march to the title again in my opinion.

Eddie Howe's recent comments are interesting.

1. NUFC can't spend big because of FFP restrictions.

2. NUFC have very friends in the transfer market.

I think there is a lot to read between the lines here. I may be football conspiracy theorist, but I think the comments have an agenda and see the following:

- Everyone knows the Toon have money. These comments lower expectations on what they can spend. They can justify bidding less on players.

- Regarding 'friends', they have plenty in Saudi Arabia so could a loan deal or two be on the cards? Again, loan on the cheap so no FFP issues.

Either way, I can't see the Toon going through January without getting reinforcements.

They had a really good season; last. This season seems like a consolidating one.

The far north needs a top six club. A couple more seasons and who knows? Can't see Boro or Cats getting into the EPL any time soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

The 'Special One' is losing his aura. What about Brum?

I wonder if any team in England would want him. It would have to be an eccentric owner with not much idea and a bit of cash. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2024 at 9:31 PM, BigHewer said:

I wonder if any team in England would want him. It would have to be an eccentric owner with not much idea and a bit of cash. 

Newcastle it is then? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anybody caught your eye in the transfer market? who do you think your club should buy? who should they sell or offload? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Scottish Highland League is the place to go for goals. Last night's offerings averaged 7 a match.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SnapDragon said:

The Scottish Highland League is the place to go for goals. Last night's offerings averaged 7 a match.

Now that is a coincidence. I kid you not, 2 minutes ago was just checking the scores for all the other footie yesterday and noted exactly the same thing 😳

• Like 2