News Forum - British man lost in Thailand, family issues SOS appeal

Thaiger

The family of a British man issued an SOS after he went AWOL while on holiday in Thailand. Scottish man David Goldthorpe has vanished in Thailand after booking a holiday in the Land of Smiles to celebrate his retirement. The 65 year old Edinburgh-born retiree was supposed to fly home Sunday, May 5, but never … …

The story British man lost in Thailand, family issues SOS appeal as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Wouldn't that be "Scottish man lost in Thailand..."?

The family doesn't say what was "odd" about his messages before going silent. Robbery? Extortion? Kidnapping? Angry ladyboy?

The police say he didn't get on his plane but did they investigate to see if he checked out of his hotel, are his belongings still there?  Did hotel staff see anything unusual?

Odd, and ominous.

He is single and came to Thailand to enjoy his retirement. He will soon emerge out from his honeymoon place once he had finished his reserves. At that juncture can look for cloud funding to send him back home. 

11 hours ago, MrStretch said:

The police say he didn't get on his plane but did they investigate to see if he checked out of his hotel, are his belongings still there?  Did hotel staff see anything unusual?

Methinks you are giving the RTP far too much credit It'll likely be another week before they get round to that level of investigation.

6 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

He is single and came to Thailand to enjoy his retirement. He will soon emerge out from his honeymoon place once he had finished his reserves. At that juncture can look for cloud funding to send him back home. 

Yep he could well be up country with a lass who will 'love him long time' being talked into buying a house for them to live in (it will have to be in her name of course). Freeze his bank account and he will most likely pop right up again.

5 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

Methinks you are giving the RTP far too much credit It'll likely be another week before they get round to that level of investigation.

Most likely. If the embassy asked for help it would be a very different story because any complaints go to the ambassador who talks to the police minister, not Captain Clueless at the station. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Most likely. If the embassy asked for help it would be a very different story because any complaints go to the ambassador who talks to the police minister, not Captain Clueless at the station. 

You think His Brittanic Majesty the UK Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand has anything to do with finding a lost Scotsman who is probably shacked up with a lady in some cheap hotel?

1 hour ago, Mamachigawa said:

You think His Brittanic Majesty the UK Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand has anything to do with finding a lost Scotsman who is probably shacked up with a lady in some cheap hotel?

Of course not. My point is that Thai cops will be motivated if the authorities are involved.

23 hours ago, MrStretch said:

The family doesn't say what was "odd" about his messages before going silent. Robbery? Extortion? Kidnapping? Angry ladyboy?

Odd, and ominous.

You honestly do not think that the Thai police did not do this basic investigation. And perhaps it is because of the investigation that not more is reported in the news, apparently the Scotish police and British authorities are also involved. And perhaps the investigation also does not allow to tell more to the media about those "odd" messages before going silent.

But yes, an "ominous" story indeed. Let's hope the end won't be.

On 5/7/2024 at 12:30 PM, MrStretch said:

Wouldn't that be "Scottish man lost in Thailand..."?

His passport would state otherwise. 🤔

7 hours ago, Manu said:

Probably been told not to contact his family by his new 'love of his life' at least not until she has managed to completely empty his bank account. I knew a guy back in the UK some years back, met a lady from Isaan, went through a 'village ceremony' (meaningless legally) retired, took his pension pot as a lump sum and moved out to Thailand to set up home with her. 3 months later he was back in the UK without a pot to piss in looking for a job...........................He too went all secretive and told his family nothing in the months before moving out there and whilst out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Probably been told not to contact his family by his new 'love of his life' at least not until she has managed to completely empty his bank account. I knew a guy back in the UK some years back, met a lady from Isaan, went through a 'village ceremony' (meaningless legally) retired, took his pension pot as a lump sum and moved out to Thailand to set up home with her. 3 months later he was back in the UK without a pot to piss in looking for a job...........................He too went all secretive and told his family nothing in the months before moving out there and whilst out there.

What obviously happened to you in this country doesn’t happen to the majority of us, only to a few idiots in my experience. But thanks for sharing. I hope your laughing comment won’t make you look soon very stupid if it turns out this to be an awful story.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Manu said:

What obviously happened to you in this country doesn’t happen to the majority of us, only to a few idiots in my experience.

Maybe not the majority... but a minority can still be a lot of people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Maybe not the majority... but a minority can still be a lot of people.

Sure it can be. But in the sentence you are answering to, I also added "only a few to my experience" and by "a few", I did not mean "a minority", I meant not a lot of people. But again, at the end of that same sentence I wrote "to my experience" as it is only my own experience. But it is certainly not the generalisation I felt was transpiring in the comment I was answering to (and that anyone who doesn't know anything about Thailand would wrongly understand that way). Sure I know / met some like everybody else, but only... a few.

On 5/8/2024 at 4:03 PM, Manu said:

What obviously happened to you in this country doesn’t happen to the majority of us, only to a few idiots in my experience. But thanks for sharing.

"As stated in my comments, did not happen to me but to a rather gullible fool that I knew some years back. I am sure (having read many accounts over the years of it happening to others) that this is not as uncommon an event as you are making out as it seems many deluded and lonely elderly Farang leave their brains at the airport when entering Thailand and actually believe that some attractive lady 30 years their junior really 'loves' a fat beer swilling old man for himself rather than for his money.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manu said:

Did you post the wrong link? It points to the same original story published on TT.

When I click it, it sends me to a Daily Mail article...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Manu said:

Never got the full story from this, but at least he's been found alive.

No information about the circumstances of his disappearance at all...

Good to see he is at least still alive..........I wonder though how healthy his bank balance is now.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 6:50 PM, ChrisS said:

Yep he could well be up country with a lass who will 'love him long time' being talked into buying a house for them to live in (it will have to be in her name of course). Freeze his bank account and he will most likely pop right up again.

That is missing in the familiy tragedy:

Info about ATM using with his cards.

That could give an idea about his (last) location!