What happened to all you Football Fans?

Lowseasonlover

Things do change. They tend to go in phases. Only 6 clubs have won the EPL since it started. Two of those are now in the Championship. Although Foxes look nailed on to come back for next season.

We had Gunners and United contesting the title for 9 years 1995-2004. Then along came Chelsea and it was just them and United from 2005 to 2011. Only City and Pool have won it since 2016/17.

So, who can realistically challenge the top boys? Toon did so well last season; but can they repeat the top 4? Villa are up there right now, and if they had won their last game would have been sitting pretty over Xmas. What happened to spoil Villa's run of 16 home wins? They simply couldn't get through the mass defence the Blades put up. Top teams are asked to master this all the time. A lowly club is not going to Anfield or Villa Park and go toe to toe. So they 'park the bus', and invite the home team to take the point that they started with.

If anyone thought that the Irons had it in them to break through, they would have changed their minds sharpish after the recent 5-0 drubbing at the Cottage. But Moyes is a decent (and IMO, underrated) manager, and they will bounce back with the occasional run. Can they do top 6. Inconsistent as they are; maybe.

When Potter left the south coast for west London, I thought the Seagulls would suffer; big time. But I  was wrong on that. They are a pretty tough nut to crack, good to watch, and are just about top 6 material.

Spurs are established top half dozen, and can't see that changing.

My top 6 for the EPL at the end of season.

01 Arsenal

02 Villa

03 City

04 Pool

05 Spurs

05 WHU

So - in my forecast - City fail to be the first English club to win 4 times on the trot. For me, that really depends on KdeB returning and playing his world class stuff. Toon to miss out. Same with United and Chelsea, although surely the two of them must improve during the second half of the season!

• Like 2

Im not sure what I think about this, 

Sir Jim Ratcliffe's first words as INEOS billionaire owner completes Manchester United investment

The INEOS chief's investment into Man United was confirmed on Christmas Eve, more than 13 months since the Glazers began their strategic review.

"As a local boy and a lifelong supporter of the Club, I am very pleased that we have been able to agree a deal with the Manchester United Board that delegates us management responsibility of the football operations of the Club," Ratcliffe said. "Whilst the commercial success of the Club has ensured there have always been available funds to win trophies at the highest level, this potential has not been fully unlocked in recent times.

• Like 1

It's the time of year when anyone struggles to predict the results amid the chaos of the Premier League's festive fixture list - but Opta's supercomputer has named who it believes will win Boxing Day's matches.

And in surprising news for Man United fans, Erik ten Hag's team - without a goal in four matches - are given a 44.1% chance of beating high-flying Aston Villa.

United have been in terrible form, while Villa are third in the table, and yet it is the visitors who are only rated as having a 27.5% chance of victory.

Elsewhere, it looks like business as usual for the top teams. Liverpool (59%) are expected to win their game away at Burnley while Arsenal (57.1%) and Man City (62.1%) are tipped to win their matches in the coming days against West Ham and Everton.

On Boxing Day itself, Newcastle (55.7% vs Nottingham Forest), Fulham (39.5% vs Bournemouth) and Luton Town (41.2% vs Sheffield United) are also named as expected winners. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Ratcliffe said. "Whilst the commercial success of the Club has ensured there have always been available funds to win trophies at the highest level, this potential has not been fully unlocked in recent times.

United looking to open up the purse strings perhaps. Need to be careful now and buy on character, not hype.

14 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

It's the time of year when anyone struggles to predict the results amid the chaos of the Premier League's festive fixture list - but Opta's supercomputer has named who it believes will win Boxing Day's matches.

It's silly season all right. I think we might see a couple of shocks later today. Four kick-off times, what a bonanza, though I'll be asleep for the last one.. Will watch three.

Toon v Forest (ICT 7:30pm) - Toon to bounce back, Nuno will have to wait for his first win. 3-0

Sheff United v Hatters (ICT 10:00pm) - Most pundits going for Luton, but I like how Wilder has come into the Blades and tightened things up. 1-0

Not watching Cherries v Fulham, can't stand the bongo drums all through the game at the Vitality. 

Burnley v Liverpool (ICT 12:30am) The Clarets will be full of confidence and high on emotion, playing at home after their big win. Probably run out of puff 60 mins in. 1-3

Man Utd v Villa - The big one. Will watch the highlights on Hoofoot in the morning. The Red Devils will have a bit of a Ratcliffe bounce and will have to go forward, playing at OT, which is exactly what Villa will want. Goals in this one surely. 2-2

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

Things do change. They tend to go in phases.

They certainly do. I always think back to when SAF took over at Manchester United in November 1986, the bottom three were: Man United, Man City and Chelsea.

When he stepped back in 2013, the top three were Man United, Man City and Chelsea.

Not sure if this means Wigan, Reading and QPR are headed for glory in a couple of generations or not, but it makes for an interesting story.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

United looking to open up the purse strings perhaps. Need to be careful now and buy on character, not hype.

It's silly season all right. I think we might see a couple of shocks later today. Four kick-off times, what a bonanza, though I'll be asleep for the last one.. Will watch three.

Toon v Forest (ICT 7:30pm) - Toon to bounce back, Nuno will have to wait for his first win. 3-0

Sheff United v Hatters (ICT 10:00pm) - Most pundits going for Luton, but I like how Wilder has come into the Blades and tightened things up. 1-0

Not watching Cherries v Fulham, can't stand the bongo drums all through the game at the Vitality. 

Burnley v Liverpool (ICT 12:30am) The Clarets will be full of confidence and high on emotion, playing at home after their big win. Probably run out of puff 60 mins in. 1-3

Man Utd v Villa - The big one. Will watch the highlights on Hoofoot in the morning. The Red Devils will have a bit of a Ratcliffe bounce and will have to go forward, playing at OT, which is exactly what Villa will want. Goals in this one surely. 2-2

Was there a game were Villa beat United 3-0 on Boxing day then went on to win the league? anyway United have the best record of wins in the PL on Boxing day, some useless stats for you

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Was there a game were Villa beat United 3-0 on Boxing day then went on to win the league? anyway United have the best record of wins in the PL on Boxing day, some useless stats for you

Might have been early 80s when Villa won in Europe as well.

Villa were top at Christmas more recently, maybe late 90s, but faded as the season went. United might have won it that year.

3-0 - Toon v Forest - Toon to win easily.

1-1 or 0-0 all day long - Blades v Hatters - both clubs are giving it a good go now, after some very poor early season results

3-0 - Cherries v Cottagers - comfortable win for in-form Bournemouth. 

3-2 - Burnley v Pool - Clarets to edge the 5 goals, Could just as easily be Pool winning though. Close one.

2-2 - United v Villa - Good match up. Especially with Villa right up there. United players will be showing the new guy, that he can trust them to break sweat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Might have been early 80s when Villa won in Europe as well.

Villa were top at Christmas more recently, maybe late 90s, but faded as the season went. United might have won it that year.

Bang on the money there BH.

Villa topped the league for a few weeks during Dec and Jan in 1998/99.

villavUnited.png.6a2302f54ae87d2b2a6a6a4a5e95c220.png

Had a poor second half of the season though, finishing 6th.

9899table.png.4604c989d5e1f3bd74494a288fafd14c.png

Blackburn, who had won the EPL a few years earlier, and Forest who achieved a creditable third that year; both went down

Interesting stats for the year Villa did win it. Both games against United finished 3-3.

UnitedvVilla.png.e386d100e3db4e4da1424b0f41edeb3d.png

When in any doubt. Ask Snaps; the footy stats know-it-all.

• Like 2

100% better than the rubbish we've been playing lately. Garnacho almost had a hat-rick, but he played really well. Nice to see Rasmus score his first Premier League goal, also that he was getting the service from his teammates. Let's hope that we can really kick on from this.Apart from whinging, moaning Bruno the whole team played better football than they have for sometime. The fans were very excited at the end of the game, they deserved to go home happy and excited after the fantastic second half. If we continue playing like this we'll hopefully keep our manager and some of the players that they want to sell

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Newcastle are letting me down I had them as my second team 

My number 0ne, two and three teams do not play in the EPL. But c'mon you Irons, Villa and Seagulls.

I love seeing the 'big boys' come a cropper. I don't regard Toon as one of them; yet!!

• Like 2

Interesting bunch of results last night as silly season rolls on.

Goal of the day Chris Wood's 2nd for Forest, didn't know he was capable of that kind of goal. A couple of sublime goals from the Cherries as well. Sinisterra's was a peach.

Well done to United, I wasn't expecting that, especially after 2-0 down. That Garnacho kid can play.

Most upset person in England at bedtime last night was probably Chris Wilder. What a ridiculous 2-3 game. Blades should have won.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Newcastle are letting me down I had them as my second team 

Same here... They need reinforcements desperately.. 

• Like 2

Very brave of ETH bring academy players on, Garnacho, Mainoo, Kambwala, Gore, Mejbri, and Jonny Evans started life in the academy, Rashford and McTominay, 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Same here... They need reinforcements desperately.. 

Funny how these players come back to haunt you, 

32 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Funny how these players come back to haunt you, 

Yep, he was surplus to requirements, Chris Wood.

Forgot to mention a couple of interesting things the commentator mentioned during Newcastle v Forest.

Apparently it was the first time the two teams had met on Boxing Day since 1958. Same venue SJP and same scoreline 3-1 to Forest. That's quite an eyebrow raiser but not the biggest shock in that story.

Forest did the double over the Toon that season, winning the return fixture at the City Ground the next day, December 27th 1958.

They complain about fixture congestion now. Those lads back then might have had it even tougher.

• Like 2

Right then. I reckon we can expect a few more surprise results over the holiday period. But not today.

1-2 - Luton v Chelsea. Don't want to see the Hatters suffer. But the Blues will gradually get better from here on in.

3-1 - Villa v Burnley. Villa to get back to top 4 form. Clarets got a decent win at the Cottage. But Villa on their home patch are getting on for invincible.

2-1 - Palace v Brentford. That Palace are so sneaky. Always grabbing points when they should have no chance. Too hot for the Bees on this occasion. I reckon Bees are outside relegation candidates.

4-0 - Man City v Sheffield U. Simply can't see any result other than an easy City win. Blades going back down to the Championship this season.

2-2 - WW v Everton. Wolves on fire. Toffeez using the 10 point reduction to galvanize the troops.

I'll tell you what I don't like. Having been there myself; albeit yonks ago. Although not on a Saturday or Sunday usually. It''s to do with the midweek games. It's the 19-45 matches where (for instance) Toon play Seagulls. Or Pool play Palace. this is simply disrespecting the supporters. Most have to work, and getting home at 3, in the morning, after travelling half the country, is just not on.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 9:49 AM, BigHewer said:

<snip>

Forest did the double over the Toon that season, winning the return fixture at the City Ground the next day, December 27th 1958.

They complain about fixture congestion now. Those lads back then might have had it even tougher.

And those energy sapping pitches. Some clubs put in under-soil heating. Turned the pitch into a water fest; or mud bath.

TomFinneyatTheBridge.jpg.c3793fa58b1417b6445b24095f31ebf7.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SnapDragon said:

Right then. I reckon we can expect a few more surprise results over the holiday period. But not today.

1-2 - Luton v Chelsea. Don't want to see the Hatters suffer. But the Blues will gradually get better from here on in.

3-1 - Villa v Burnley. Villa to get back to top 4 form. Clarets got a decent win at the Cottage. But Villa on their home patch are getting on for invincible.

2-1 - Palace v Brentford. That Palace are so sneaky. Always grabbing points when they should have no chance. Too hot for the Bees on this occasion. I reckon Bees are outside relegation candidates.

4-0 - Man City v Sheffield U. Simply can't see any result other than an easy City win. Blades going back down to the Championship this season.

2-2 - WW v Everton. Wolves on fire. Toffeez using the 10 point reduction to galvanize the troops.

I'll tell you what I don't like. Having been there myself; albeit yonks ago. Although not on a Saturday or Sunday usually. It''s to do with the midweek games. It's the 19-45 matches where (for instance) Toon play Seagulls. Or Pool play Palace. this is simply disrespecting the supporters. Most have to work, and getting home at 3, in the morning, after travelling half the country, is just not on.

Too late for a Luton v Chelsea prediction, but you're pretty close to the money there. Truth be told, I had that one down as a draw. The Hatters finished much stronger, good game though. Both teams surprised me. 

3-0 Villa v Burnley - I think the Villans will be on a mission and are at home.

1-1 Palace v Brentford - Frank will have to tighten the Bees up and I can't make a case for either side to win, so I'll go for a draw here.

4-0 Man City v Blades - Wilder has Sheffield United on the up, but not that far up. Will be very happy if I'm wrong.

2-1 Wolves v Everton - Very impressed every time I've seen Wolves, seem to get the short end of the stick whenever they play though. The Toffees resurgent as well. Good game in the offing here, of the four 3 O'clock kick offs, this is the one I'll be watching...

• Like 1