What happened to all you Football Fans?

Lowseasonlover

2 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Yep, they were real men in those days, on a minimum wage, playing for the fun of it, now, not so much.  I watched my last game of football at age 12, at White Hart Lane, mid winter, cold miserable and if I recall correctly it was a nil nil draw.  That was the end of football watching for me. 

Where did you stand at WHL P? My spot was the corner of Nth and West sides.

I went to virtually every home game between 1959 and 1962. Then my true faves got into the top league and I ditched the Cockerels for a while.

27 minutes ago, Sticky said:

You are not completely wrong in that post Mr P.

Nobody outside the US can even understand the rules of American Football.

I can recall the 1960s very well. Three games in a week was the norm. Pitches were hard on the players. Money has changed things. Now, it is more important to preserve the wages than risk a broken leg. So, the game has changed, and although the pitches have improved, playacting has moved in big-time.

itsbeensnowing.jpg.66a9a577b105de5c839089d91cb15b7e.jpgJackKelsey1955big.png.bdbe297eaf95101ff650c81227b268a6.png1979SouthendvPool.jpg.dbbf7a4e318d57c481803cacef315927.jpg1947-CharltonvHuddersfield.png.1532f88199123ea0ee868a1faed12160.png

And one for Blue's fans!

PBrabrookvRalphGubbinsBolton.jpg.37039d50251e92149e6076db46416fff.jpg

Dont forget the balls we used to play with

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sticky said:

Where did you stand at WHL P? My spot was the corner of Nth and West sides.

I went to virtually every home game between 1959 and 1962. Then my true faves got into the top league and I ditched the Cockerels for a while.

Well I have a story here.  When Spurs won the double, my Uncle was the Mayor of Tottenham, and as he was a single man (Gay, but nobody talked about that in those days) his Sister, my Aunt, was the Mayoress. My family went to all the celebrations, but I wasn't around to participate. Goodness only knows what has happened to Tottenham since then, the location, not the team. It used to be the center of the North London Jewish community, together with Stoke Newington, now, not so much. So, that's my football story. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Well I have a story here.  When Spurs won the double, my Uncle was the Mayor of Tottenham, and as he was a single man (Gay, but nobody talked about that in those days) his Sister, my Aunt, was the Mayoress. My family went to all the celebrations, but I wasn't around to participate. Goodness only knows what has happened to Tottenham since then, the location, not the team. It used to be the center of the North London Jewish community, together with Stoke Newington, now, not so much. So, that's my football story. 

they didnt even use the word gay, could have been queer,

3 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Newcastle battered Chelsea back to the drawing board for Poch 

A beautiful result, and well done the Toon, especially with all the injuries they have at the moment. Upcoming fixture congestion a worry.

Olise's goal for Palace absolute top drawer in a losing effort.

Lewis Dunk and Wes Foderingham tied for stupidest action of the day. Dunk for his two cards in 30 seconds and Foderingham for that second Cherries goal. 

• Like 1

I thought we did very well. Between us we got nearly all the scores correct. There was the 1-1 to kick off. Irons 1-2. Seagulls 2-3. The online bookies better watch out.

And Hatters 2-1. These were all correct scores. Well done the TT footy crew.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

A beautiful result, and well done the Toon, especially with all the injuries they have at the moment. Upcoming fixture congestion a worry.

Olise's goal for Palace absolute top drawer in a losing effort.

Lewis Dunk and Wes Foderingham tied for stupidest action of the day. Dunk for his two cards in 30 seconds and Foderingham for that second Cherries goal. 

Got my eye on Newcastle, Stuart Pearce said the other week he picked at the start of the season Newcastle to win the league, and he's sticking with it, 

Especially if they can loan, Benzema, Mane and Neves in Jan

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Got my eye on Newcastle, Stuart Pearce said the other week he picked at the start of the season Newcastle to win the league, and he's sticking with it, 

Especially if they can loan, Benzema, Mane and Neves in Jan

Tonali was a big loss, had a lot of potential. Get Neves in there I say.

I think the Toon will win win the title in the next few years. 2026/27 could be the year - 100 years since their last title.

12 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I think the Toon will win win the title in the next few years. 2026/27 could be the year - 100 years since their last title.

There are hurdles to overcome for Toon to be EPL Champions. Footy dominance tends to go in phases. Pool had a two very successful periods back in the day. And it was all about United and Arsenal for years. Then Chelsea came on the scene and broke that mould. But they in turn have faded; their last success being 7 years a go. There have been the odd years when unfancied teams did well. Blackburn and Foxes! Since the last Blue's win, it has really all been about City.

So for Toon to win; firstly City have to be shot down as the dominant entity. Next; because of Toon's location I reckon they will tend to attract top players from northern Europe. Who are better suited to playing in the cold. Don't want to see some Spanish player in gloves and tights. Like in the old days.

I think there are a couple of clubs knocking on the door. Gunners, Toon, Cockerels are in with a shout of breaking in.

My tip for the not to distant future; Villa.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

they had their pants pulled down over that deal I reckon AC Milan knew about that, and saw what was coming

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

they had their pants pulled down over that deal I reckon AC Milan knew about that, and saw what was coming

Good bit of business by the Italians. Dodgy buggers.

30 minutes ago, Sticky said:

There are hurdles to overcome for Toon to be EPL Champions. Footy dominance tends to go in phases. Pool had a two very successful periods back in the day. And it was all about United and Arsenal for years. Then Chelsea came on the scene and broke that mould. But they in turn have faded; their last success being 7 years a go. There have been the odd years when unfancied teams did well. Blackburn and Foxes! Since the last Blue's win, it has really all been about City.

So for Toon to win; firstly City have to be shot down as the dominant entity. Next; because of Toon's location I reckon they will tend to attract top players from northern Europe. Who are better suited to playing in the cold. Don't want to see some Spanish player in gloves and tights. Like in the old days.

I think there are a couple of clubs knocking on the door. Gunners, Toon, Cockerels are in with a shout of breaking in.

My tip for the not to distant future; Villa.

All good points. It took Man City three seasons to win the league after the Qatari takeover, and that was with a couple of missteps. If the Toon go at the same pace, then next season would be the year. But I don't think so. Newcastle United are building very nicely and I'm sure we'll see black and white streamers on that trophy before the decade is out.

I wonder how long Boehly will keep throwing money at Chelsea. He must be embarrassed...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

All good points. It took Man City three seasons to win the league after the Qatari takeover, and that was with a couple of missteps. If the Toon go at the same pace, then next season would be the year. But I don't think so. Newcastle United are building very nicely and I'm sure we'll see black and white streamers on that trophy before the decade is out.

I wonder how long Boehly will keep throwing money at Chelsea. He must be embarrassed...

Make you right about City's breakthrough BH.

Can't make Chelsea out. Whacked Spurs away. Held City to a big draw, and got well beaten by the Geordies. Can't see them getting top 6.

So here goes. EPL top 6

1 - City

2 - Gunners

3 - Pool

4 - Spurs

5 - Toon

6 - Villa

2 minutes ago, Sticky said:

Make you right about City's breakthrough BH.

Can't make Chelsea out. Whacked Spurs away. Held City to a big draw, and got well beaten by the Geordies. Can't see them getting top 6.

So here goes. EPL top 6

1 - City

2 - Gunners

3 - Pool

4 - Spurs

5 - Toon

6 - Villa

It's great to have five or six genuine contenders to win the league, spare a thought for Scotland, France, Germany, Spain. My top 6 would be

1 - City

2 - Spurs

3 - Gunner

4 - Pool

5 - Toon

6 - Man United

I keep thinking Man United will come good, but then again I keep being surprised at how they don't.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

It's great to have five or six genuine contenders to win the league, spare a thought for Scotland, France, Germany, Spain. My top 6 would be

1 - City

2 - Spurs

3 - Gunner

4 - Pool

5 - Toon

6 - Man United

I keep thinking Man United will come good, but then again I keep being surprised at how they don't.

Trouble at mill again, I was told a few weeks back ETH is on his way out, who would replace him I don't have any ideas, maybe this time ask the players who they would like, 

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

1 - City

2 - Spurs

3 - Gunner

4 - Pool

5 - Toon

6 - Man United

I've not got Chelsea or United in my top 6. And I make you right about them. Keep thinking they will show us great stuff; and then disappointment

The club I'd like to see challenging for the top 4 is Brighton.

20 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Trouble at mill again, I was told a few weeks back ETH is on his way out, who would replace him I don't have any ideas, maybe this time ask the players who they would like, 

They've tried all types. The ex-player, the nice guy, the disciplinarian, the fitness fanatic. None of them are any good. I've no idea who could do that job.

15 minutes ago, Sticky said:

I've not got Chelsea or United in my top 6. And I make you right about them. Keep thinking they will show us great stuff; and then disappointment

The club I'd like to see challenging for the top 4 is Brighton.

Definitely. Very easy on the eye.

Would also like to see Postecoglou do well at Spurs. He's a bit of a maverick with his tactics, want to see variety rewarded.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

It's great to have five or six genuine contenders to win the league, spare a thought for Scotland, <snip>.

Scotland!! What is it now? Nearly 40 years since a club outside Glasgow (Aberdeen 1984/85) won the top league. And have to go back over 60 years since a club from Edinburgh - Scotland's second city, whose population is just 100k less than Glasgow - were champs (Hearts 1959/50).

A strange season 1964/65. The top three were::

01 Kilmarnock - 02 Hearts - 03 Dunfirmline

Where were you that season Glasgow?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sticky said:

A strange season 1964/65.

It sure was.  Some funny old results. Winter 62/63 a killer, full of postponements, the players all came back champing at the bit to play?

66 goals in 10 fixtures on Boxing Day 1963 (English top flight)

• Like 2

Just watched Spurs vs Villa and extended highlights of the game at Goodison Park.

Spurs vs Villa an absolute cracker. Both teams going toe to toe at each other, end to end stuff. Villa edged it but how many disallowed goals were there? I lost count. 7? 8? Son scored a 'disallowed hat-trick'. I wonder how many times that's been done before.

And that first united goal vs Everton is goal of the season. Doesn't matter what happens for the remaining games. Incredible goal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Just watched Spurs vs Villa and extended highlights of the game at Goodison Park.

Spurs vs Villa an absolute cracker. Both teams going toe to toe at each other, end to end stuff. Villa edged it but how many disallowed goals were there? I lost count. 7? 8? Son scored a 'disallowed hat-trick'. I wonder how many times that's been done before.

And that first united goal vs Everton is goal of the season. Doesn't matter what happens for the remaining games. Incredible goal. 

I was stunned when I opened my ipad this morning seeing the result 3-0 I guess there is hope, all 3 forwards scored which is a step in the right direction and a clean sheet, so that's 6 clean sheets this season for Onana, most in the league I think, 

• Like 1