News Forum - Not so smug now? Expat life in the shadow of Truss

Thaiger

5 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

What is the meridian against the dollar?

I would imagine that matters a lot more.

Do you mean the Pound against the US dollar? As I was responding to the claim that Truss had destroyed the value of the Pound and that it was impacting expats in Thailand, I provided an historical chart to show the Pound to Baht exchange rate. This illustrates that the golden period from 1998 to 2008 was not representative of its value since the 1960’s and that things have been a lot worse. 

Just now, Soidog said:

Do you mean the Pound against the US dollar? As I was responding to the claim that Truss had destroyed the value of the Pound and that it was impacting expats in Thailand, I provided an historical chart to show the Pound to Baht exchange rate. This illustrates that the golden period from 1998 to 2008 was not representative of its value since the 1960’s and that things have been a lot worse. 

Yes I mean the US dollar. Did you think I meant the Eastern Caribbean dollar or something?

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Yes I mean the US dollar. Did you think I meant the Eastern Caribbean dollar or something?

Your tone doesn’t deserve a response, but since you seem unable to source the information yourself. I was clarifying if you meant the Pound to the US dollar or the Baht to the US dollar Mr Funny man ! 

• Like 1

Just now, Soidog said:

Your tone doesn’t deserve a response, but since you seem unable to source the information yourself. I was clarifying if you meant the Pound to the US dollar or the Baht to the US dollar Mr Funny man ! 

Well we were discussing the value of the pound were we not?

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Ok well never mind, I’ll help you. Attached is the chart from 1970 for the Pound to the Dollar

78B0DD24-1A99-4031-BA7B-D3A38A2548E2.jpeg

Whats the meridian there then? 

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Whats the meridian there then? 

The word is median. You need all the data points to work out the median, however at a quick look it seems like it’s something like 1.6 dollars for 1 Pound. Many currencies are at their lowest against the dollar for decades. It’s the dollar that’s strong and not necessarily the particular currency that’s weak. 

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

The word is median. You need all the data points to work out the median, however at a quick look it seems like it’s something like 1.6 dollars for 1 Pound. Many currencies are at their lowest against the dollar for decades. It’s the dollar that’s strong and not necessarily the particular currency that’s weak. 

OK lets keep this simple shall we?

Is the pound worth more against the dollar than it was before Brexit?

Is the pound worth more against the Euro than it was before Brexit?

Is the pound worth more against the Bhat than it was before Brexit?

Can you name ANY currency in the world where the pound is worth more now than before Brexit?

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

OK lets keep this simple shall we?

Is the pound worth more against the dollar than it was before Brexit?

Is the pound worth more against the Euro than it was before Brexit?

Is the pound worth more against the Bhat than it was before Brexit?

Can you name ANY currency in the world where the pound is worth more now than before Brexit?

The Pound is generally lower today than it was before Brexit. But it has been lower before and it has been higher. It will again be stronger in the future. All developed countries go through economic cycles. 

I assume you are making the point that Brexit damaged the value of the Pound?  Well yes, of course it has. The EU banks saw to that. But so what? People who voted Brexit don’t care so much about that as much as they do other issues, such as having full control over U.K. laws and not allowing EU courts to override U.K. courts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The Pound is generally lower today than it was before Brexit. But it has been lower before and it has been higher. It will again be stronger in the future. All developed countries go through economic cycles. 

I assume you are making the point that Brexit damaged the value of the Pound?  Well yes, of course it has. The EU banks saw to that. But so what? People who voted Brexit don’t care so much about that as much as they do other issues, such as having full control over U.K. laws and not allowing EU courts to override U.K. courts. 

So which laws has the UK enacted that they could not have done so before? Imperial weights and measures? The shape of bananas? Sausage laws? Go on. List them.

So Brexit has damaged the UK economy massively.

It has increased illegal immigration. 

It has cost us more money than we have saved.

And the bananas remain the same shape.

It was a dumb idea back then. Its a dumb idea now and it will be a dumb idea in the future.

Just now, Rookiescot said:

So which laws has the UK enacted that they could not have done so before? Imperial weights and measures? The shape of bananas? Sausage laws? Go on. List them.

So Brexit has damaged the UK economy massively.

It has increased illegal immigration. 

It has cost us more money than we have saved.

And the bananas remain the same shape.

It was a dumb idea back then. Its a dumb idea now and it will be a dumb idea in the future.

Tell someone who cares!

As I’ve said many times. Until the rejoiners grow up and accept what’s happened and start to put a coherent positive case together for rejoining, then Britain will remain outside the EU. The Remoaners simply still do not get it. They never did get it and that’s why Britain voted to leave. 

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Tell someone who cares!

As I’ve said many times. Until the rejoiners grow up and accept what’s happened and start to put a coherent positive case together for rejoining, then Britain will remain outside the EU. The Remoaners simply still do not get it. They never did get it and that’s why Britain voted to leave. 

And until the Brexiteers grow up and admit they made a colossal mistake then England will remain outside the EU. The Brexiteers simply still do not get it. They never did get it and thats why England voted to leave.

Please list how the UK is better off now than it was before Brexit.

15 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Please list how the UK is better off now than it was before Brexit.

By better off I assume you mean richer? Wealthier? 

This strikes at the heart of the failure of the remoaners. They see life as a spreadsheet where you list the costs and  benefits. They fail to see that national life and national identity are for more complex and nuanced. They fail to see that ensuring no other court can overrule the U.K. court is important or many. They fail to see that the U.K. can now set its own directives without the sign off of other nations. They also fail to acknowledge that the world falling in and everything failing in the U.K. hasn’t materialised. The predicted collapse of the City of London being a financial hub hasn’t happened. The remoaners revelled in the long queues heading to ferries and the Tunnel and predicted this would go o n forever, it hasn’t. Life goes on, the world keeps spinning  and Britain will continue to be a major world economy and a major player on the world stage. 

As I have said several times now and I won’t say it again. I personally voted to remain. I wish the U.K. was still a member of the EU and worked to moderate and change the EU from within. However, I fully understand and accept why people voted to leave. Think what you will of the campaign “lies”. Fact is the U.K. is out of the EU. The benefits or negatives will need to be viewed over a far far longer timescale than a few brief years. This was a strategic decision, not some quick fix tactical move. 

Stop wasting your time wishing it never happened. It’s a fact. Britain is NOT in the EU. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This strikes at the heart of the failure of the remoaners. They see life as a spreadsheet where you list the costs and  benefits. They fail to see that national life and national identity are for more complex and nuanced. They fail to see that ensuring no other court can overrule the U.K. court is important or many. They fail to see that the U.K. can now set its own directives without the sign off of other nations. They also fail to acknowledge that the world falling in and everything failing in the U.K. hasn’t materialised. The predicted collapse of the City of London being a financial hub hasn’t happened. The remoaners revelled in the long queues heading to ferries and the Tunnel and predicted this would go o n forever, it hasn’t. Life goes on, the world keeps spinning  and Britain will continue to be a major world economy and a major player on the world stage. 

As I have said several times now and I won’t say it again. I personally voted to remain. I wish the U.K. was still a member of the EU and worked to moderate and change the EU from within. However, I fully understand and accept why people voted to leave. Think what you will of the campaign “lies”. Fact is the U.K. is out of the EU. The benefits or negatives will need to be viewed over a far far longer timescale than a few brief years. This was a strategic decision, not some quick fix tactical move. 

Stop wasting your time wishing it never happened. It’s a fact. Britain is NOT in the EU. 

True, the moaners are also forgetting we are entering a world recession not just a UK recession.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No I look at it from a perspective of what's best for the country. 

The long queues to the ferry ports happened.

The exodus of capitol and jobs from the City of London happened. 

The loss of trade with our biggest trading partner happened.

The drop in the value of the pound and a weakened UK economy happened.

The trade deficit getting worse happened.

Still. Bananas and immigration got fixed.

Oh no wait. That didn't happen.

You can wave a flag as much as you want but it does not change reality.

1 minute ago, JamesR said:

True, the moaners are also forgetting we are entering a world recession not just a UK recession.

And the OBR's own figures showing ours will be much worse than other countries face is just coincidence is it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

No I look at it from a perspective of what's best for the country. 

The long queues to the ferry ports happened.

The exodus of capitol and jobs from the City of London happened. 

The loss of trade with our biggest trading partner happened.

The drop in the value of the pound and a weakened UK economy happened.

The trade deficit getting worse happened.

Still. Bananas and immigration got fixed.

Oh no wait. That didn't happen.

You can wave a flag as much as you want but it does not change reality.

But the U.K. is still out of the EU. No amount of complaining and I told you so changes any of that. It’s like complaint about yesterdays weather. Some people (the voting majority) still believe all of the short term pain will be worth the long term gain. And I don’t just mean gain in £££££££

19 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

And the OBR's own figures showing ours will be much worse than other countries face is just coincidence is it?

People don’t care. Unemployment is at its lowest in years. We can control our borders once the French stop allowing people to risk their life (Which is interesting they want to leave for a non-EU country). We can make our own regulations. Our Supreme Court can not be overruled anymore. We can choose our own destiny. I certainly could have done without all of the financial pain, but I live in a democracy, and my side lost the debate and the vote. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

ut the U.K. is still out of the EU. No amount of complaining and I told you so changes any of that. I

Of course it ill - eventually UK will rejoin the EU and no amount of "get over it"

will stop that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Of course it ill - eventually UK will rejoin the EU and no amount of "get over it"

will stop that.

I sincerely hope they do, assuming there is an EU to rejoin. Let’s see how Italy, Austria and Sweden get on over the next few years. Perhaps the EU will modify its ways to make it worthy of rejoining.