News Forum - Not so smug now? Expat life in the shadow of Truss

Thaiger

If you are British, and an expat, one of the few things you used to feel smug about was the government “back home.” The nutters may occasionally take over the asylum, but it’s a good strong asylum, fit for purpose. Mother of parliaments. The United Kingdom doesn’t usually have generals taking charge, water cannons in the streets, movie-star presidents or bread riots. UK politicians are as corrupt as any but in a nice safe British way. Quite a few perverts, it has to be said, but that’s not so unusual. But it is pretty much unheard of for a British […]

The story Not so smug now? Expat life in the shadow of Truss as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Aye Brexit.

It was a dumb idea then. Its a dumb idea now and will be a dumb idea in the future.

A campaign run on slogans, nationalist flag biting and outright lies.

Can someone from the Brexit aficionados please list the benefits we have seen as a country from Brexit.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

If you are British, and an expat, one of the few things you used to feel smug about was the government “back home.” The nutters may occasionally take over the asylum, but it’s a good strong asylum, fit for purpose. Mother of parliaments. The United Kingdom doesn’t usually have generals taking charge, water cannons in the streets, movie-star presidents or bread riots. UK politicians are as corrupt as any but in a nice safe British way. Quite a few perverts, it has to be said, but that’s not so unusual. But it is pretty much unheard of for a British […]

The story Not so smug now? Expat life in the shadow of Truss as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

THe lunatics took over with Brexit - everything in "project fear" has come to pass.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Aye Brexit.

It was a dumb idea then. Its a dumb idea now and will be a dumb idea in the future.

A campaign run on slogans, nationalist flag biting and outright lies.

Can someone from the Brexit aficionados please list the benefits we have seen as a country from Brexit.

I’m no Brexit aficionado, but I do believe in getting the facts straight. Britain voted for Brexit on 23rd June 2016. The so called Transition period didn’t end until 31st December 2020, by which time the whole world was in Covid lockdown. Now Covid is easing the world economy is in turmoil and Russia are killing Ukrainians. In addition the Northern Ireland issue remains unresolved. Hardly a period where the success or otherwise of Brexit should be judged don’t you think? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well...in historical days they used to say phrase "The Sun Never Sets In British Empire" Looks like it is coming true. The sun will never set in British Empire because it is not shining there. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m no Brexit aficionado, but I do believe in getting the facts straight. Britain voted for Brexit on 23rd June 2016. The so called Transition period didn’t end until 31st December 2020, by which time the whole world was in Covid lockdown. Now Covid is easing the world economy is in turmoil and Russia are killing Ukrainians. In addition the Northern Ireland issue remains unresolved. Hardly a period where the success or otherwise of Brexit should be judged don’t you think? 

So what are the list of benefits we have seen from Brexit?

The country is in turmoil because of all the things you have listed but has Brexit made that better or worse?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

When UK voted for Brexit the pound plummeted....the subsequent governments have been  elected on a single issue. They were totally unprepared to actually govern - they didn't even have a plane for Brexit - regardless of any "official" start to Brexit te ramifications started in 2016 and have continued ever since.

Many of te effects were masked or hidden by Covid, wars, energy etc but no one can avoid the fact that on top of of all the world woes, the UK has had to bear the burden of Brexit and incompetent Tories who only came to power on the back of Brexit.

PS - the Northern Ireland issue is a direct result of Brexit

PPS - When you say "hardly a period to judge Brexit" - in fact it is except the government and a lot of the media have tried to cover up this and as Covid subsides and we will have to cooperate with the EU over the war and energy crisis the effects are becoming clearer by the day

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

So what are the list of benefits we have seen from Brexit?

The country is in turmoil because of all the things you have listed but has Brexit made that better or worse?

Well I don’t see life being much better in countries that are still in the EU. Ask the Greeks or even the Germans who may struggle with power this winter. It’s less than two years since the end of the transition period and it is simply too short a time to judge if life would have been better had the U.K. remained in the EU. Ultimately it’s a question that can never be answered. The fact is that the British voted to leave. Time to move on I’m afraid. It’s called democracy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cowslip said:

When UK voted for Brexit the pound plummeted....the subsequent governments have been  elected on a single issue. They were totally unprepared to actually govern - they didn't even have a plane for Brexit - regardless of any "official" start to Brexit te ramifications started in 2016 and have continued ever since.

Many of te effects were masked or hidden by Covid, wars, energy etc but no one can avoid the fact that on top of of all the world woes, the UK has had to bear the burden of Brexit and incompetent Tories who only came to power on the back of Brexit.

PS - the Northern Ireland issue is a direct result of Brexit

PPS - When you say "hardly a period to judge Brexit" - in fact it is except the government and a lot of the media have tried to cover up this and as Covid subsides and we will have to cooperate with the EU over the war and energy crisis the effects are becoming clearer by the day

And I guess you don’t think the hand of the Germans and French haven’t been involved in ensuring Britain gets as much pain as possible. How better to deter other countries such as the Italians or Polish who may be considering the same move. 

I guess those that wish the U.K. had remained in the EU would love people to say it was all a big mistake and should never have happened, but how does that change a thing? The U.K. is out of the EU and it is time to move on 

PS. For the record I voted to remain. But I believe in democracy. My option lost out. I wish it hadn’t bit it did. I’m not now going to spend the next 10-20 years running my country down and wishing for something that won’t happen. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Well...in historical days they used to say phrase "The Sun Never Sets In British Empire" Looks like it is coming true. The sun will never set in British Empire because it is not shining there. 

Britain doesn’t have an empire for the sun to shine in. However it is a far better country than the vast majority of others in the world. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, the UK could rejoin the EU. But that will probably never happen under a Labor government. Just not realistic. On a more realistic note, the UK probably needs to get busy finding common ground with the EU. Else the pain of Brexit will only continue (or get worse).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Soidog, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

You haven't a clue, I can hear the people who have written so far on this blog  saying. 

You just don't seem to realise, the whole world is in a mess because Brexit happened.

Goods are still being imported and exported as before except for a bit of paperwork though, but that of course must be a lie.

You don't realise since Truss was elected the UK has gone into a black hole never to return, it has never happened before, up to now the economy of the UK for the last six thousand years has been perfect.

In the UK we have to walk around on stilts so we can walk over the millions of people who have committed suicide and are laying all over the pavements.

There must be lots of mentally ill people in the world too as so many are trying to flock to such a rundown decrepit country.

(A tongue in cheek comment)....oh bollo*** I had to eat my cheeks due to starvation, tongue in gap then. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Well I don’t see life being much better in countries that are still in the EU. Ask the Greeks or even the Germans who may struggle with power this winter. It’s less than two years since the end of the transition period and it is simply too short a time to judge if life would have been better had the U.K. remained in the EU. Ultimately it’s a question that can never be answered. The fact is that the British voted to leave. Time to move on I’m afraid. It’s called democracy. 

See this is why Brexit is total nonsense. All we get is promises of jam tomorrow.

Can you name a single benefit to the UK economy because of Brexit? Never mind German heating or whatever is wrong with Greece. Tell us all how the UK is better off being out of the EU.

• Like 1

And I guess you don’t think the hand of the Germans and French haven’t been involved in ensuring Britain gets as much pain as possible. How better to deter other countries such as the Italians or Polish who may be considering the same move. 

I guess those that wish the U.K. had remained in the EU would love people to say it was all a big mistake and should never have happened, but how does that change a thing? The U.K. is out of the EU and it is time to move on 

PS. For the record I voted to remain. But I believe in democracy. My option lost out. I wish it hadn’t bit it did. I’m not now going to spend the next 10-20 years running my country down and wishing for something that won’t happen. 

Why would the Germans or the French want to help? It was a UK decision to leave. Its up to the Brexiteers to deliver the promised sunny uplands we would get by leaving.

Remember. There will be no downsides to Brexit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Soidog, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

You haven't a clue, I can hear the people who have written so far on this blog  saying. 

You just don't seem to realise, the whole world is in a mess because Brexit happened.

Goods are still being imported and exported as before except for a bit of paperwork though, but that of course must be a lie.

You don't realise since Truss was elected the UK has gone into a black hole never to return, it has never happened before, up to now the economy of the UK for the last six thousand years has been perfect.

In the UK we have to walk around on stilts so we can walk over the millions of people who have committed suicide and are laying all over the pavements.

There must be lots of mentally ill people in the world too as so many are trying to flock to such a rundown decrepit country.

(A tongue in cheek comment)....oh bollo*** I had to eat my cheeks due to starvation, tongue in gap then. 😀

Can you list any benefit Brexit has delivered?

• Like 1

Ok, Brexit is to blame. Now what? Time to move on. 

We did move on. Brexit happened.

Where is the Brexit dividend we were promised?

41 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

See this is why Brexit is total nonsense. All we get is promises of jam tomorrow.

Can you name a single benefit to the UK economy because of Brexit? Never mind German heating or whatever is wrong with Greece. Tell us all how the UK is better off being out of the EU.

It’s not better off financially but not because of Brexit

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

We did move on. Brexit happened.

Where is the Brexit dividend we were promised?

I don’t think the people who voted Brexit could care less about Brexit dividends. For the people who voted to leave it was all about having the final say on how you run your country. Not being dictated to by the EU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

It depends on your view in what is a benefit. Being able to pass your own laws and not have them overridden by Brussels for many is a benefit. You may not think so, but those who voted for Brexit, and won by the way, do. 

If the U.K. is ever going to be persuaded to rejoin the EU, the rejoiners will need a better argument than what did Brexit deliver. That’s not how it works. You need to make a positive case to rejoin, not the continuous negatives of why we shouldn’t have left. That will win no debates. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Why would the Germans or the French want to help? It was a UK decision to leave. Its up to the Brexiteers to deliver the promised sunny uplands we would get by leaving.

Remember. There will be no downsides to Brexit.

Didn’t expect them to help. I expected them to hinder. They’ve done a great job. As have the Irish government in gaining support of the US in the issue

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Freedom for us to do as we please politically, if we make a mess of it then it is out mess.

I believe in democracy, I do not want to be ruled by a bunch of unelected Eurocrats in Brussels.

I haven't seen the UK crumble due to Brexit, there are economic problems all over the world at the moment, next year most of the world will fall into a recession, Brexit did not cause that.

Yes we had a bit of TrussGate moment due to the dim prime minister being elected by 150,000 Conservative pensioners who do not know what time of day it is but this hitch is temporary on the scale of things, her policies will be reversed and thus the damage cause by her will be limited. Political events are very short lived. 

We will of course still be in a long period of recession just like the rest of the world with high interest rates, high inflation, a crash in the property market and the rest.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I don’t think the people who voted Brexit could care less about Brexit dividends. For the people who voted to leave it was all about having the final say on how you run your country. Not being dictated to by the EU

Exactly, that is why I and other people I know voted to leave, not all of us are dumb enough to listen the pros and cons rhetoric by both sides of the argument, we voted to leave because of our own reasons. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1