News Forum - Russian tourism staff claims interest in Thailand travel has spiked for Russians

Thaiger

49 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Why is everyone so worked up over some Russian tourists who may want to spend a couple of baht/ruble/dollars/euro in Thailand? How else are they going to spend those million/billion dollars a day that the EU is paying them for oil, gas and coal?  https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-of-the-day/2022/04/the-eu-is-still-paying-russia-hundreds-of-millions-of-euros-a-day-for-gas

That always was, and is still is, Putin's trump card. Much of western Europe has become dependent on Russian oil and gas.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fundok said:

I appreciate that Thai tourist operators may have a different view but I will not shed a tear for any Russian not going to Thailand.

And every family would be happy not to sleep in the same hotel with them not knowing if one of them was before in Ukraine raping mothers in front of their children killed and burnt them, raping children etc. Which family want to sleep under the same roof with them? And how could they enjoy their holidays then?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

And every family would be happy not to sleep in the same hotel with them not knowing if one of them was before in Ukraine raping mothers in front of their children killed and burnt them, raping children etc. Which family want to sleep under the same roof with them? And how could they enjoy their holidays then?

Fortunately not everyone blames the entire population of a country for the sins of some of their citizens so the tourists will be fine. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Fortunately not everyone blames the entire population of a country for the sins of some of their citizens so the tourists will be fine. 

Some? Fortunatly not all lost their sense of the reality!

4 minutes ago, TWS60 said:

Russians still have plenty of options for holiday destinations. 

apple.png.358f14ce4959f76e1dab8f2f264aefa9.png

Yes 2 countries Syria and one 3rd world dictatorship country. 

46 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Fortunately indeed otherwise there is not many populations that would be welcome anywhere since there are not many countries (by people leading these countries never their entire populations) that are not responsible of some carnage at some point or another the last 100 years, starting with the USA, the only country so far that has used nuclear bombs against populations.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pompies said:

How they get here is irrelevant.

Well that doesn't make sense.  If they can't get here, it doesn't matter what kind of people they are.  If they are refugees fleeing the conflict, then there is a internationally agreed process for that.  If they are holiday makers or just fancy a bit of sun and sea while their leaders rape, kill and commit genocide in their name,  then I say ban them all from all international travel. 

• Like 2

Let's revisit the subject once all the stranded Russians and their ongoing debts are cleared. Why would the Thais be looking for more problems if the existing backlog of deadbeat Russians is not first addressed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scribble said:

I agree but I think a lot of them will be online workers, struggling to get paid for their work. Also anyone who can work remotely who want to get out of Russia. Those against the war, those escaping the struggles of sanctions, people of young age who also desperately don't want to be called up to fight.. Many places like Tbilisi Georgia have been inundated with people leaving Russia and Air BnBs are charging four times the usual. Thailand and the digital nomad infrastructure will be very appealing. 

I get all that and understand there will be many decent people who want to get away from the animal Putin. However, that is not the answer. If the good people leave, then he will carry on. I’m afraid only the Russian people can remove Putin. It’s the good people who are perhaps wanting to get away that need to stay and stop him. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

I could not disagree more.  They are all collectedly responsible for the actions of their criminal leaders, unless they are prepared to revolt and remove him and his cohort, as they have done before. Otherwise they should all be treated as pariahs and banned from travel outside of Russia. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Just now, Pinetree said:

I could not disagree more.  They are all collectedly responsible for the actions of their criminal leaders, unless they are prepared to revolt and remove him and his cohort, as they have done before. Otherwise they should all be treated as pariahs and banned from travel outside of Russia. 

And how can a Russian citizen, trapped inside a country with censored media and limited freedom of speech, be aware of the need for political change or the international adverse reaction to the “special operation to help a sister country governed by Nazis” ?  Isolation does not work. See North Korea for proof of concept. 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” - Mark Twain

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fanta said:

And how can a Russian citizen, trapped inside a country with censored media and limited freedom of speech, be aware of the need for political change or the international adverse reaction to the “special operation to help a sister country governed by Nazis” ?  Isolation does not work. See North Korea for proof of concept. 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” - Mark Twain

Do you know, frankly I don't care.  In this world of social media I don't buy it that the vast majority don't know what is being done in their name.  It smacks of WW2 where the Germans supposedly didn't know what horrors were being perpetuated by the Nazis.  They had some excuse, the Russians in 2022 have none. Charitable feelings? I have none for them right now, only for their victims. As for your point about North Korea; 'isolation looks to be working perfectly from where I'm sitting. And please don't write any humanitarian nonsense in terms of the population of that tragic country.  As I have said many times before, Nations get the leaders that they are prepared to tolerate, until they are not.    

Edit:  if they have internet enough to book a holiday and flight to here, they damn well know what's going on.  Maybe they would be the worst of the 'close my eyes to what my government is doing in my name', Brigade. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Pinetree said:

No, you are not getting it.  Their aircraft have no international certification, and ICAO will not accept Russian certification, so its all on Thai Airways and that won't work for the numbers they are expecting. In addition overflying rights will make the required indirect  routings very expensive, in time, fuel and navigation charges. 

It's nothing to do with THAI - they don't even fly to Moscow right now. Emirates, Turkish. Qatar and Etihad all do. There are several ways everyday.

Any Russians coming here will have enough money in some form. Many have accounts already here, and/or assets that they can convert into baht from condo sales etc.

• Like 1

As a normal Russian there isn’t much they can do about Putin even if they had access to genuine news and information which they don’t. But collectively they can effect change. Eventually.

What will be far quicker is when the wealthy elite get fed up of restrictions and loss of ability to move freely around the world. They ARE aware of the bigger picture and have means at their disposal to force Putin’s hand or remove him from power. For this reason sanctions have to be effective and across the board.

The alternative is war and no one wants that.

If the world decides you’re wrong then you have little choice but to change providing the world sticks together. Look at North Korea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Do you know, frankly I don't care.  In this world of social media I don't buy it that the vast majority don't know what is being done in their name.  It smacks of WW2 where the Germans supposedly didn't know what horrors were being perpetuated by the Nazis.  They had some excuse, the Russians in 2022 have none. Charitable feelings? I have none for them right now, only for their victims. As for your point about North Korea; 'isolation looks to be working perfectly from where I'm sitting. And please don't write any humanitarian nonsense in terms of the population of that tragic country.  As I have said many times before, Nations get the leaders that they are prepared to tolerate, until they are not.    

Edit:  if they have internet enough to book a holiday and flight to here, they damn well know what's going on.  Maybe they would be the worst of the 'close my eyes to what my government is doing in my name', Brigade. 

I am sure you do realise many Russians have been trying to oppose the Putin regime for 20 years now, a lot of them got killed, "disapeared", got jailed or for the lucky ones ended up going into exile in Europe (a few of them got killed them too).

I am sure you also realise that the Internet can also be censored and controlled. Sure to a certain extend, if you are savvy enough, sure you can find information, which is not really the reality for the masses.

Now please what would you do personally cause the theory of a mass revolution is nice but how in practice would you personally do if you were a Russian in Russia right now. Just getting caught of writing your previous comment would end you at the best in jail... Would you go out alone in front of the Kremlin waiting for others to turn up and do... and do what? Protest? With a gun (where would you get it??)? Would you just show the example and get killed in front of the Kremlin to start a mass wake-up? I am very intersting to know. One thing for sure, it will never start in TheThaiger's forum.

Edited by Manu
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Russians can think of taking a holiday while the country is at war. Amazing

Americans never take holidays while the country is at war. So they never take holidays. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Now just for interest, I went back to theThaiger article about the arrival of the first flight from Saudi Arabia a while back.

Surely as you seem well informed you must know that this wonderful democracy well known for never ever violating human rights has been butchering civilians in an awful way in Yemen since 2015. Now that is what you had to say about the arrival of tourists to Thailand from that country (and please compare with the countless ones you write about Russian tourists coming to Thailand):

haha, I love watching our Middle East friends throw off their traditional  dress in the airport toilets, don jeans and T shirts and head straight for the bars and the girls'.  I just love hypocrisy, its my favorite sin. 

A racist bad joke. What can I say... (read and learn your own words, especially that one: "hypocrisy")

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pinetree said:

No, you are not getting it.  Their aircraft have no international certification, and ICAO will not accept Russian certification, so its all on Thai Airways and that won't work for the numbers they are expecting. In addition overflying rights will make the required indirect  routings very expensive, in time, fuel and navigation charges. 

and wait until those aircraft need parts ..... no Sir we don't supply to russian or anyone that sympathises with russian aviators. 

• Like 1

I meet Russians every day where I live. The border between Russia and Norway remains open and those (on both sides) with border passes can freely go in-between as before. 

A friend of mine from Kandalaksha is going to Thailand now and will be flying from Kirkenes to Oslo and then from there onwards to Thailand. 

Initially, there were som uncertainties how to do this from Russia, but these things now seem to have been solved for the most. 

It seems wise for Thailand not to be dragged into this geopolitical game on one or the other side. 

20 hours ago, Pompies said:

How they get here is irrelevant. The issue is what kind of people they are. And given what is happening in their part of the world it seems likely that a fair sprinkling of miscreants will be among them. Just what Prayuth is thinking in allowing such persons to enter here is a matter for discussion. It is hardly in line with his stated desire for more upmarket visitors!

It is pretty incredulous that as the vast majority of the world is pulling in one direction, Prayut pulls the other way. Defies belief really.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Russians still have plenty of options for holiday destinations. 

apple.png.358f14ce4959f76e1dab8f2f264aefa9.png

But how many of those countries welcome the sex pest contingent or can even cater for them ? A significant portion of the Phuket russians don't come for the Som Tam !

14 hours ago, RATTY7820 said:

It seems everyone in Thailand is welcoming Russians and will happily take Russian money when not even China are backing Russia It seems that shooting 450 civilians who had their hands tied  behind their backs and raping women does not bother people of Thailand ,a lovely video of a Russian Soldier raping a BABY came to light today. So Thais are going to welcome these people to their bars and hotels. Europe, Great Britain and United States have closed airspace to any Russian aeroplane. The sanctions taken over the Russian invasion of a peaceful sovereign country hopefully will bankrupt Russia. Shame Thailand and countries like India love Western and Russian money so much that they are not banning Russians from entering their country especially as the war crimes committed have not been seen since WW2 in Europe. People in the West do have long memories so Thailand and the Thai government better think very long and hard about welcoming Russian tourists and taking the blood money Russia are giving them . The rouble is in free fall so do not bank on many Russians going to Thailand. I do not believe a word that comes out of Russia ,Ukraine has killed nearly 20,000 Russian soldiers but Russia only admit to 1700 dead The 20,000 has been verified by NATO amongst others.The tour operator is probably state -controlled and no such figure exists. More than 500 Ukrainian children have been killed and numerous women and GIRLS have been raped so careful what you wish for !!! Loads of Russians this year and no-one for the next 5 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You declare a lot, but no links whatsoever.
Yes civilians killed, but 450 civilians who had their hands tied? I have seen a few, but 450? Link?

Baby raped? Nothing heard or seen of it. Link.
NATO verifying 20000 death Russian soldiers? Never seen a link to that number.
The situation is bad enough without you making unverifiable (and very doubtfull) facts, which certainly doen't help a correct view.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1