News Forum - Russian tourism staff claims interest in Thailand travel has spiked for Russians

Thaiger

More Russians are reportedly interested in venturing down to Thailand! After Russia announced earlier this week it would lift Covid-19 restrictions on flights to 52 countries, starting April 9, some Russian tourism staff claim there was a massive increase in Thailand search inquiries by Russians. Searches for tickets to Thailand reportedly went up by 20%, according to one popular vacation planning service in Russia called OneTwoTrip. OneTwoTrip reported that Russians’ interest in all countries grew between 5-350%. Elena Shelehova, head of OneTwoTrip, told Russian state news about the jump in travel interest ever since the Russian government announced on April […]

The story Russian tourism staff claims interest in Thailand travel has spiked for Russians as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

37 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

More Russians are reportedly interested in venturing down to Thailand! After Russia announced earlier this week it would lift Covid-19 restrictions on flights to 52 countries, starting April 9, some Russian tourism staff claim there was a massive increase in Thailand search inquiries by Russians. Searches for tickets to Thailand reportedly went up by 20%, according to one popular vacation planning service in Russia called OneTwoTrip. OneTwoTrip reported that Russians’ interest in all countries grew between 5-350%. Elena Shelehova, head of OneTwoTrip, told Russian state news about the jump in travel interest ever since the Russian government announced on April […]

The story Russian tourism staff claims interest in Thailand travel has spiked for Russians as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I appreciate that Thai tourist operators may have a different view but I will not shed a tear for any Russian not going to Thailand.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Not sure how they are going to get here, bar walking. 

You still not getting it? This:

50 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

After Russia announced earlier this week it would lift Covid-19 restrictions on flights to 52 countries, starting April 9

and with this "The Russian PM, Mikhail Mishustin, has revealed that Russia would open its sky to 52 “friendly” countries from April 9 onwards" from Thursday, it means that 52 countries can again FLY THEIR planes to Russia. So no Russian plane, no leased and now stolen plane has to leave Russia. Thai Air, as example, has to do one "empty" flight to Moscow, but the return can be regular full. Or full charter deals. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Can they use the ATM's here?

Seems to me, they are long beyond that! Saw lots of Russians the one day, getting bank accounts in Thai Banks in Central. Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank, where they were coming out and were waiting in front. ( In case you ask, how I know Russians, Bank account, ...: Passport, Immigration letter, brand new passbook and debit card in hands)

My guess, what works with the Hawala System, can work for the Russians, assumingly with Chinese Banking Systems, to Thai Banks, too

So I am relatively certain, the new tourists either bring cash or Union Pay cards or they are already in the WeChat pay, Alipay App system. Russia "just" needed a way, to connect to Chinese banks. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

You still not getting it? This:

No, you are not getting it.  Their aircraft have no international certification, and ICAO will not accept Russian certification, so its all on Thai Airways and that won't work for the numbers they are expecting. In addition overflying rights will make the required indirect  routings very expensive, in time, fuel and navigation charges. 

• Like 3

How they get here is irrelevant. The issue is what kind of people they are. And given what is happening in their part of the world it seems likely that a fair sprinkling of miscreants will be among them. Just what Prayuth is thinking in allowing such persons to enter here is a matter for discussion. It is hardly in line with his stated desire for more upmarket visitors!

• Like 6

We are just talking about Russians coming to Thailand, right? And a 20% higher interest, to come to Thailand. The interest before February 24 was about 1000 a day, if I recall that right, that would be 3-4 planes a day. 20% more, 5 planes? Thai has 40, about?

And even if that would rise to 10k /day, there are Chinese Airlines, Turkish Airlines, some of the Golf Airlines, very happy to help out with transit routes. With the fuel prices, Russia would assumingly charge lesser for this flights, with the overflying rights , what is there so different to before February 24?

With this struggling market, in special the really struggling airlines, I think you see obstacles, while airline management sees options 

55 minutes ago, Pompies said:

... it seems likely that a fair sprinkling of miscreants will be among them

Like with people from everywhere else, too, don't you think?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

OneTwoTrip reported that Russians’ interest in all countries grew between 5-350%. Elena Shelehova, head of OneTwoTrip, told Russian state news

51 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

We are just talking about Russians coming to Thailand, right? And a 20% higher interest,

WoW, …. the TAT must be jealous of the country that had 350% growth in interest …. Now would love to know we’re the Russians want to go?

Having had their @rses well and truly kicked, to the extent that Boris felt comfortable Friday taking a train from Poland to drop in on his pal Zelensky for a casual stroll through the Kyiv, I think they might have things other than summer holidays on their minds.

Boris and Vlodymir.jpeg

• Like 4

I would be too ashamed to travel anywhere outside of Russia if I was Russian. The idea that they can relax and enjoy a holiday with a young family, while their fellow countrymen are murdering innocent children in Ukraine is utterly disgusting.

• Like 12

I am looking at travelling to Helsinki; bus to Vyborg and plane from there, via Moscow to Thailand.

It seems like flying Emirates to Phuket may be a good deal at this time. 

Just spread the news, Thailand welcomes russian soldiers on a much needed rest from their duty in Ukraine. See what that does for rhe interest to visit Thailand in potential tourists from more civilized countries.

• Like 7

It seems everyone in Thailand is welcoming Russians and will happily take Russian money when not even China are backing Russia It seems that shooting 450 civilians who had their hands tied  behind their backs and raping women does not bother people of Thailand ,a lovely video of a Russian Soldier raping a BABY came to light today. So Thais are going to welcome these people to their bars and hotels. Europe, Great Britain and United States have closed airspace to any Russian aeroplane. The sanctions taken over the Russian invasion of a peaceful sovereign country hopefully will bankrupt Russia. Shame Thailand and countries like India love Western and Russian money so much that they are not banning Russians from entering their country especially as the war crimes committed have not been seen since WW2 in Europe. People in the West do have long memories so Thailand and the Thai government better think very long and hard about welcoming Russian tourists and taking the blood money Russia are giving them . The rouble is in free fall so do not bank on many Russians going to Thailand. I do not believe a word that comes out of Russia ,Ukraine has killed nearly 20,000 Russian soldiers but Russia only admit to 1700 dead The 20,000 has been verified by NATO amongst others.The tour operator is probably state -controlled and no such figure exists. More than 500 Ukrainian children have been killed and numerous women and GIRLS have been raped so careful what you wish for !!! Loads of Russians this year and no-one for the next 5 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

When this war is over, there will be no quick return of Russian tourists, as the sanctions which currently exist, will not be lifted quickly. There is also a raft of  more severe restrictions, which once imposed will also not be lifted quickly. The Thai government need to remember that, like it or not,  the dollar is all powerful. Any country which is perceived as attempting to circumvent the restrictions imposed on Russia,  may well encounter their own problems. The Russians once again have shown themselves up as poor performers militarily, and the West should not fear them. Yes they have a big stick, but so do we, if they get shitty with us. Some countries in Europe have a 1000 year history of kicking ass and winning, when Moscow was no more than marshland and occupied by uneducated peasants. Some would argue little has changed.

Edited by BIGGLES
  • Like 4
  • Cool 1

Thailand dreamed of buying a state-of-the-art American military aircraft...I think Americans won't want to anymore if Thailand is welcoming to Russians.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

I would be too ashamed to travel anywhere outside of Russia if I was Russian. The idea that they can relax and enjoy a holiday with a young family, while their fellow countrymen are murdering innocent children in Ukraine is utterly disgusting.

I agree but I think a lot of them will be online workers, struggling to get paid for their work. Also anyone who can work remotely who want to get out of Russia. Those against the war, those escaping the struggles of sanctions, people of young age who also desperately don't want to be called up to fight.. Many places like Tbilisi Georgia have been inundated with people leaving Russia and Air BnBs are charging four times the usual. Thailand and the digital nomad infrastructure will be very appealing. 

Edited by Scribble
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, vvdb.fr said:

Thailand dreamed of buying a state-of-the-art American military aircraft...I think Americans won't want to anymore if Thailand is welcoming to Russians.

America wouldn’t sell a state of the art military toilet to Thailand for fear of the Chinese reverse engineering it before the packaging was even fully removed.

• Haha 6

It would be a good idea to show these russians what they are doing to Ukraine!!!

Or nobody hasxthe guts!!!

To tell them!!!

Murderers!!

• Like 2

Why is everyone so worked up over some Russian tourists who may want to spend a couple of baht/ruble/dollars/euro in Thailand? How else are they going to spend those million/billion dollars a day that the EU is paying them for oil, gas and coal?  https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-of-the-day/2022/04/the-eu-is-still-paying-russia-hundreds-of-millions-of-euros-a-day-for-gas

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Russians can think of taking a holiday while the country is at war. Amazing

It's a big country though if I were a savvy citizen I'd be getting out of the way of any possible retaliation by the west if it all goes ar5e-up.  Wouldn't you?

• Like 1