News Forum - Will Thailand’s nightlife survive another 2 months of closure?

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Transam said:

So you can't catch it at a Temple, hospital or in Tesco then...?

Well, yes you can, but most people tend to be a bit more masked up and a bit quieter in Temple, hospital or in Tesco than drinking in a bar so that cuts down the chances ...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Transam said:

The gov, for months, banned the sale of booze, which mean't folk couldn't even have a beer at home, so I don't think your explanation washes regarding LOS...

To me, it's a big brother thingy, do as we say, because we don't drink beer, we get our buzz from watches...🤭...

Beer and booze has been on sale in stores as before during posted hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Transam said:

Read my post again...😛

4 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Beer and booze has been on sale in stores as before during posted hours. 

What was the original posting? It had to do with an additional two months survival?

I think the government is playing off both sides, they messed up the vaccinations and are under pressure from certain quarters to not do much until more people are vaccinated, there is a lot of fear in the Thai population, (see poll data)

One major reason they started mixing vaccines was to cut the gap from 12 weeks with AZ to 3 weeks between shots and reach the magic 70% mark much sooner. 

They also have made promises about opening up and restarting the tourist industry which has a powerful lobby, combine this with the fact an election year is coming up and they seem to be trying to keep their promises to everyone. 
This leaves them with what I believe is a conscious effort to hamstring the opening in order to keep numbers low while they try and catch up on vaccinations in case of another spike, then they are seen to be delivering on their previous commitments to all parties. 

Prayut probably would not remain in power if Covid delivers another lockdown as he will be blamed based on the vaccination fiasco, he has plenty of reasons to remain conservative in his approach. (see article in today’s South China Morning Post) 

I think speculation about Thais trying to slow the consumption of alcohol and reduce the level of red light activity is small minded, he is far more interested in serving another term in power and that requires playing the game of politics. 
it’s all a big balancing act and there are plenty of casualties along the way but I’m pretty sure he and his generals could care less. 

• Like 2

The oldest profession has always survived, and will continue to survive, it will just won't look like it did in 2019 ("what was may never be again"). 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

Will Thailand’s nightlife survive another 2 months of closure?

Thailand's two tier bar closure plan. Whilst Phuket can openly open its bars on Bangla Rd, Pattaya still gets its restaurants raided for selling a beer with a meal..

How many more false starts are this government going to give to the bar and club owners. Do not ask if they can survive another two months, ask the government if that date is just the latest tease only to be extended yet again....

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 8:54 AM, Rip255 said:

Nice piece but sadly it misses the mark. 

Those caught up in the alcohol industry, whether they be consumers or suppliers, believe its some kind of injustice and its costing jobs and money.

Theyre naive. Its a plan by the govt to reduce the harmful impacts of the ethanol game to all sectors of society.

Respectable Thai people see alcoholism as losing face and are deeply shamed by it. If your only conversation with Thais is to a bargirl working for tips and short times, then you may not be aware of this. 

This explains the drinking at a restaurant rule. A glass of beer over dinner is suitable but discos and girly bars are nothing but trouble.

If you think your beer money is worth more to Thais than protecting their culture...then you're sadly mistaken. 

Rip sounds like a government stooge and to stupid to realise If it wasn’t for tourism Thailand would  be like it was 60years ago the country now is even more full of corruption and scams rip is just a idiot

• Cool 1

On 11/13/2021 at 8:54 AM, Rip255 said:

Nice piece but sadly it misses the mark. 

Those caught up in the alcohol industry, whether they be consumers or suppliers, believe its some kind of injustice and its costing jobs and money.

Theyre naive. Its a plan by the govt to reduce the harmful impacts of the ethanol game to all sectors of society.

Respectable Thai people see alcoholism as losing face and are deeply shamed by it. If your only conversation with Thais is to a bargirl working for tips and short times, then you may not be aware of this. 

This explains the drinking at a restaurant rule. A glass of beer over dinner is suitable but discos and girly bars are nothing but trouble.

If you think your beer money is worth more to Thais than protecting their culture...then you're sadly mistaken. 

Or he is another desperate Farang who thinks he is thai 😂😂

9 hours ago, gummy said:

Yes indeed very true sir. 600 baht may seem nothing to the crooks in power but for someone to travel from Udon to Pattaya that is the price of the bus ticket which they possibly even borrowed

In my area there are very few looking for handout, but I'm not in Issan.  Food lockers are stocked but rarely run out of staples.  Now a days the bar girls are there by choice and there are other opertunities. In my town most young people are off in the university and have bright futures. We're  lucky to have half time help with cleaning, but it's not enough. I'm still looking for someone to clean windows and most people are busy. 

Bars might be fast money, but there are few out of work here. Udorn could be different, but if someone want honest work there are many jobs available.

1 hour ago, Ace said:

Rip sounds like a government stooge and to stupid to realise If it wasn’t for tourism Thailand would  be like it was 60years ago the country now is even more full of corruption and scams rip is just a idiot

Valid words, @Ace . . . and your debut post too.

Welcome to TT, where you'll find that most posters are happy to enter into sensible, considered debate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gummy said:

Or another troll

Unfortunately the ignore function doesn't work when you attach to another message. Oh well it works when you answer directly. 

3 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

Valid words, @Ace . . . and your debut post too.

Welcome to TT, where you'll find that most posters are not idiots!

Some are and some aren't. 

9 hours ago, gummy said:

Yes indeed very true sir. 600 baht may seem nothing to the crooks in power but for someone to travel from Udon to Pattaya that is the price of the bus ticket which they possibly even borrowed

And now they need to borrow the return fare home.

8 hours ago, Stardust said:

Exactly there are clowns, trolls who want to explain Thailand to others but don't know anything about Thailnd. I guess many asking themself what is the motivation to make all this absurd comments or is it a fake news campaign or they are just only Clowns?

I remember a time when all the "Listen to my advice if you are going to live in TH" pundits, were telling everyone, that to survive in TH, you must read "Private Dancer". 

Wow! They seemed to be totally oblivious to the fact that the lessons to be learned from PD, applied to all countries.

Personally, I've found the need to be wary when listening to these people, as they are rarely lacking in cynicism. On the other hand, I've found the best way to learn is by own mistakes. My experience, is that most Thais lack the ruthlessness that the cynics warn me of.

• Cool 1

7 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Does your definition of tourism means bars with working girls.  If so you'll be disappointed a long time and might want to look elsewhere.  If your definition is traveling and seeing new sites you'll  be pleased.

Those that limit themselves are bound to be disappointed

With my limitations, I am yet to be disappointed.

• Cool 1

6 hours ago, stapoz said:

Why is the Thai government obsessed with alcohol? Does drinking alcohol make people more likely to get covid?

The wise men say, that as you consume more drink, you will less wary about Social Distancing. In support of that, there is the line: "Beer: Helping ugly people have sex fir 5000 years"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you survive 19 months, you'll likely survive 21 months as well. However, I did say months ago already, it would be better if the government were upfront about it and help the ones that need it. Because this was of course already known for ages as the country simply isn't ready for opening with a low proportion of vaccinated people (and many with an ineffective vaccine at that). Unfortunately, the ones that need help the most are at the bottom of the list that the government is worried about 

For the rest they need to vaccinate!!!

And just to put things in perspective: the Netherlands re-introduced soft lockdown last night for 3 weeks, with bar and restaurant closure after 8pm. When they re-open, it will be only for vaccinated and post-infected. There will be no more entrance for people with only a negative test-result.

And just now Austria has announced a lockdown for the unvaccinated.

Even after Thailand reaches a high level of vaccination, the problems are not necessarily over, because when everyone is out and about again and the virus spreads, it's still the unvaccinated that will mostly end up with problems and fill the hospitals.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Transam said:

The gov, for months, banned the sale of booze, which mean't folk couldn't even have a beer at home, so I don't think your explanation washes regarding LOS...

??? That was April last year, and as I recall it lasted about two weeks!!!

If you're suggesting people have as much to drink at home before going to the temple, the hospital, or to Tesco's, and they then behave the same way there that they do in bars (no masks, plenty of good cheer, 'bonhomie', etc) then we must go to very different temples, hospitals and Tesco's 😂!

1 hour ago, JohninDubin said:

I remember a time when all the "Listen to my advice if you are going to live in TH" pundits, were telling everyone, that to survive in TH, you must read "Private Dancer". 

Wow! They seemed to be totally oblivious to the fact that the lessons to be learned from PD, applied to all countries.

Personally, I've found the need to be wary when listening to these people, as they are rarely lacking in cynicism. On the other hand, I've found the best way to learn is by own mistakes. My experience, is that most Thais lack the ruthlessness that the cynics warn me of.

Your sense, open eyes and sure when you live in Thailand you have your experience and know it by yourself and with a Thaifamily anyway. But at the moment there are many who advocate any dumb actions who everybody with common sense and not lost his mind it is absolute dumb and then posting absurd false infos about Thailand and the reality. And they tell the ones who grow up in Thailand that they know it better what the Thais are thinking and about Thailand. They even dont get it that the young generation not lost any common sense here and the majority not agree about all dumb action and worry about the situation. 

31 minutes ago, Transam said:

Sorry, but  you don't see my point.

A Temple, hospital and Tesco usually have a lot of folk in clos proximity of each other, the same as a bar so the same risks, masks or no masks, yet the gov picks on a bar because of alcohol.

The gov DID halt the sale of booze for home consumption at one time, because we all had to source a beer if we wanted.

A really stupid gov action, so please, it did happen. Now if you are defending the gov actions of, no beer at home, please enlighten us.....😊

I remember it well I was down to my last few bottles, 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Transam said:

Sorry, but you don't see my point.

I do, but I completely disagree!

A Temple, hospital and Tesco usually  have a lot of folk in clos proximity of each other, the same as a bar so the same risks, masks or no masks, yet the gov picks on a bar because of alcohol

Well, I'd suggest that they're anything but "the same risks" 😂 !

In "a temple, hospital and Tesco" you usually have a lot of people who are all masked and all sober so all keeping their guard up.

In a bar you usually have nobody masked and everyone consuming alcohol so all letting their guard down to varying degrees.

How can that possibly be "the same risk"???

... and of course it's "because of alcohol" - that's why nobody's wearing a mask and people are caring less the more they consume 😂!

The gov DID halt the sale of booze for home consumption at one time, because we all had to source a beer if we wanted.

A really stupid gov action, so please, it did happen. Now if you are defending the gov actions of, no beer at home, please enlighten us.....😊

Ummm ... I agreed they did!  It was last year, from 10 to 20 April, for less than a fortnight until the government decided it wasn't achieving anything and ended it.

"stupid"? Arguably, but other countries did so for considerably longer and in my view it was considerably less "stupid" than classifying off-licences selling booze as a "vital service" so they remained open while dentists weren't so they had to close for months.

We evidently have different priorities - and go to very different temples and bars 😂!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2021 at 11:28 AM, Malc-Thai said:

This was a few nights ago in patong where things are open .. ..the band members are my friends here they filmed it and same every night in this bar and other live music bars.. so yes maybe government probably worried about crowding.. here in phuket most now are fully vaccinated and booster jabs 

English footnotes please.