News Forum - Will Thailand’s nightlife survive another 2 months of closure?

Thaiger

Bet your a barrel of laughs out in a squad night Rip225. As for the video i don't think its mis-leading it looks like a very early start to the night but i did notice all the Tuk Tuk's blocking parking spaces as usual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dedinbed said:

Bit like butter then .. everyone was spreading it .. 

something was getting spread but doesnt smell like butter....

• Haha 2

I feel really sorry for the Thai people working in the tourist industry and others indirectly affected, it will take a long, long time for Thailand  and Thai people as whole to recover, the government do not understand (or do they) that when people go on holiday with their families they want to relax at the end of the day with a drink (and meal)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Harryhound said:

It's very sad when a government does not consider the hardships imposed on the poorer members of the population when making decisions. 

Thousands of folk have lost their jobs at tourist venues ... restaurants, bars,taxis,rental companies even 7/11 s . through the extended lockdown. An end in sight ,who knows ,every week a different decision. .

Nice to be in government with a regular income. I'm alright Jack.

It is shocking really. Many Thai's are on their knees and have to resort to standing in the heat or the rain to get a food handout. The Government raised expectations and some bar staff who returned to their villages made the return trip back in anticipation of a December 1 opening, only to have their hopes dashed. How will they survive another 6 weeks? Absolutely shameful.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Europeanfalang said:

It is shocking really. Many Thai's are on their knees and have to resort to standing in the heat or the rain to get a food handout. The Government raised expectations and some bar staff who returned to their villages made the return trip back in anticipation of a December 1 opening, only to have their hopes dashed. How will they survive another 6 weeks? Absolutely shameful.

Yes indeed very true sir. 600 baht may seem nothing to the crooks in power but for someone to travel from Udon to Pattaya that is the price of the bus ticket which they possibly even borrowed

Prohibition has a long history of not working and generally has the opposite effect on people.

Closest I came to it was when I lived in saudi, I've never drank so much in my life and it never tasted so good.

I was far from alone in this opinion and I'm not on about the other expats either.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I wouldn't say it's in "full swing", but there are signs that it is heading back to normal with some of the bars re-opened: This was from 2 days ago.

Definitely not the type of crowd I want to mingle with during my vacations. What kind of message she is trying to send to potential tourists. It just re-enforces the reputation what Thailand is known for.

3 minutes ago, NidNoi said:

Definitely not the type of crowd I want to mingle with during my vacations. What kind of message she is trying to send to potential tourists. It just re-enforces the reputation what Thailand is known for.

Is any one asking you to mingle with them ? Conversely they may not wish to associate with you either which reinforces their opinion of what some foreigners are like perhaps.   Don't forget to not throw stones whilst living in a glass houses. 

17 hours ago, Rip255 said:

Nice piece but sadly it misses the mark. 

Those caught up in the alcohol industry, whether they be consumers or suppliers, believe its some kind of injustice and its costing jobs and money.

Theyre naive. Its a plan by the govt to reduce the harmful impacts of the ethanol game to all sectors of society.

Respectable Thai people see alcoholism as losing face and are deeply shamed by it. If your only conversation with Thais is to a bargirl working for tips and short times, then you may not be aware of this. 

This explains the drinking at a restaurant rule. A glass of beer over dinner is suitable but discos and girly bars are nothing but trouble.

If you think your beer money is worth more to Thais than protecting their culture...then you're sadly mistaken. 

So the expensive gentlemen's clubs that are frequented by the "well to do" are just our imagination?

Or the fact that drunken folk are less likely to adhere to social distancing is also untrue?

Drinking a glass of beer or wine with dinner is normal and isn't likely to get folk drunk, that doesn't mean it is a conspiracy and the rich are embarrassed at the drunks

As for Thai culture? Seriously where do you live? Are you talking of the Thai culture where the their are girly bars in parts of Thailand that speak absolutely "NO ENGLISH" and have absolutely " NO TOURISTS" 

You need to get outside of the tourist areas and look around, that green sign on Ramintra road showing 320 baht is for short time room rental (4 hrs) where cars can pull in be hidden by blankets over the number plate and people can do what they wish. Or is the men only bars on Ramintra road that surprisingly has lots of young ladies to assist the barman?

Come on get out of blinkered "Thai culture" with Jim Thompson fabrics and temples there is a real world out there, go look....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Pompies said:

The claim that part of the reason for continued closure is the inefficient following of regulations is spurious because the places are closed, so no audit of efficiency can take or has taken place. Gathering in large numbers in malls, fresh markets, big box stores etc is allowed and they are no more efficient than any bar. Our premises are open on two sides, we installed additional extraction fans, bought thermo scanners, reduced the seating to comply with social distancing, installed a UV cabinet for sanitising cutlery & crockery, & have staff 100% vaccinated and still cannot open. There is a hidden agenda within the CCSA and government that is using the pandemic to deliberately bankrupt certain types of businesses and thus ensure that Thailand is not attractive to dirty farangs. Guess who our 18 unemployed staff will be voting for at the next election.

I don’t think the electoral process is going to make a difference for the next elections. It will be 8 years next February the junta has been in charge and like in Myanmar the military will keep the control of the main ministries

36 minutes ago, gummy said:

Is any one asking you to mingle with them ? Conversely they may not wish to associate with you either which reinforces their opinion of what some foreigners are like perhaps.   Don't forget to not throw stones whilst living in a glass houses. 

For the last 34 years our Thai house never had a broken window.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Pete424 said:

So the expensive gentlemen's clubs that are frequented by the "well to do" are just our imagination?

Or the fact that drunken folk are less likely to adhere to social distancing is also untrue?

Drinking a glass of beer or wine with dinner is normal and isn't likely to get folk drunk, that doesn't mean it is a conspiracy and the rich are embarrassed at the drunks

As for Thai culture? Seriously where do you live? Are you talking of the Thai culture where the their are girly bars in parts of Thailand that speak absolutely "NO ENGLISH" and have absolutely " NO TOURISTS" 

You need to get outside of the tourist areas and look around, that green sign on Ramintra road showing 320 baht is for short time room rental (4 hrs) where cars can pull in be hidden by blankets over the number plate and people can do what they wish. Or is the men only bars on Ramintra road that surprisingly has lots of young ladies to assist the barman?

Come on get out of blinkered "Thai culture" with Jim Thompson fabrics and temples there is a real world out there, go look....

Exactly there are clowns, trolls who want to explain Thailand to others but don't know anything about Thailnd. I guess many asking themself what is the motivation to make all this absurd comments or is it a fake news campaign or they are just only Clowns?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Paco said:

I do not know what the government think, seems they think bars etc will be so crowded, what a joke. There is nobody.. they destroying their own country well done stupid decision makers

Brainless till the end, at least we know the stupid once are still with the power

This was a few nights ago in patong where things are open .. ..the band members are my friends here they filmed it and same every night in this bar and other live music bars.. so yes maybe government probably worried about crowding.. here in phuket most now are fully vaccinated and booster jabs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NidNoi said:

I don’t think the electoral process is going to make a difference for the next elections. It will be 8 years next February the junta has been in charge and like in Myanmar the military will keep the control of the main ministries

Unless you can cut the head of the snake  nothing will change

Does your definition of tourism means bars with working girls.  If so you'll be disappointed a long time and might want to look elsewhere.  If your definition is traveling and seeing new sites you'll  be pleased.

Those that limit themselves are bound to be disappointed

20 hours ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Most bars and clubs have gone bust already by last summer latest. A lot of bars and clubs are totally abandoned. It will have to be build up from ground up with new owners.

Yes most likely the new Chinese owners... hmmm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

If you think that this government with its pathetic reputation and rules are going anywhere then you have the IQ of a Health Minister.

I think they are very focused on achieving their goals of encouraging high end  tourists and what these people want. Covid is their golden opportunity .

I'd never underestimate their IQs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, stapoz said:

Why is the Thai government obsessed with alcohol? Does drinking alcohol make people more likely to get covid?

Yes, if drinking in a bar. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

it just pisses me off, these stupid decisions, cost someone his life savings and they get no help whatsoever from these clowns, my friend has a restaurant already took 2 loans of 500,000 baht now he had to hear 2 months more.... impossible for him... stupid government,  makes every stupid useless party to get money in their hands, but forget how they destroying restaurants etc. with this alcohol rule and they do not help... retards they are they need a green spit in their faces

i will be in the front line to give them a green one

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paco said:

it just pisses me off, these stupid decisions, cost someone his life savings and they get no help whatsoever from these clowns, my friend has a restaurant already took 2 loans of 500,000 baht now he had to hear 2 months more.... impossible for him... stupid government,  makes every stupid useless party to get money in their hands, but forget how they destroying restaurants etc. with this alcohol rule and they do not help... retards they are they need a green spit in their faces

i will be in the front line to give them a green one

And what's more there are people on here who are completly ignorant of these facts. There is no more risk to people siting in a bar drinking alcohol as there would be for the same people drinking in the same bar drinking coffee. Its just that banning alcholol and bars re-opening appeals to those who are sick in the head due to their own moral perversions, and in the case of this depraved administration it is clear where the depravity sits. Also those who are supportive of this corrupt administration are possibly people no doubt  with a frigid, ugly wife who doesn't let him out of the house on his own for a drink just in case he see what he is missing, well unless he has those rose tinted glasses on maybe. 

1 hour ago, gummy said:

And what's more there are people on here who are completly ignorant of these facts. There is no more risk to people siting in a bar drinking alcohol as there would be for the same people drinking in the same bar drinking coffee. Its just that banning alcholol and bars re-opening appeals to those who are sick in the head due to their own moral perversions, and in the case of this depraved administration it is clear where the depravity sits. Also those who are supportive of this corrupt administration are possibly people no doubt  with a frigid, ugly wife who doesn't let him out of the house on his own for a drink just in case he see what he is missing, well unless he has those rose tinted glasses on maybe. 

Well, there are beyond any doubt some "people on here who are completly ignorant of these facts" that alcohol doesn't make you more relaxed in a group, louder, and more 'convivial' than drinking coffee!

Under normal circumstances that wouldn't be a problem at all, but since these aren't normal circumstances and being more relaxed in a group, louder and more 'convivial', etc, makes you more likely to spread Covid it's probably not such a good idea at the moment 😂.

• Like 2