News Forum - Will Thailand’s nightlife survive another 2 months of closure?

Thaiger

OPINION On Friday morning we were talking up the speculation that Thailand’s bars would be permitted to reopen on December 1. It had been a strong rumour, verified with countless politicians and police. Surely, with all the open flaunting of the current alcohol ban, the government had just given up and were ready to reopen the bars, officially. The daily Covid infections were still dropping, along with Covid-related deaths. Out of all the comments coming in across The Thaiger desk over the past month, the ‘open the bars’ was a leading contender. There were arguments that Thailand couldn’t possibly survive […]

The story Will Thailand’s nightlife survive another 2 months of closure? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Most bars and clubs have gone bust already by last summer latest. A lot of bars and clubs are totally abandoned. It will have to be build up from ground up with new owners.

• Like 7

It's very sad when a government does not consider the hardships imposed on the poorer members of the population when making decisions. 

Thousands of folk have lost their jobs at tourist venues ... restaurants, bars,taxis,rental companies even 7/11 s . through the extended lockdown. An end in sight ,who knows ,every week a different decision. .

Nice to be in government with a regular income. I'm alright Jack.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

Most bars and clubs have gone bust already by last summer latest. A lot of bars and clubs are totally abandoned. It will have to be build up from ground up with new owners.

If you are right, and I've no reason to doubt you, we will indeed see new entrants into the fray. At times like this "cash is king", and without the encumbrance of "goodwill" and many landlords competing for a relatively smaller pool of potential tenants, it might initially be a boom time for the new entrants, I would add though, I don't expect to see the same type of numbers as there were before. Pattaya in particular was reported to have 3k bars, and my guess is that it will struggle to get back to 2k.

• Like 4

Nice piece but sadly it misses the mark. 

Those caught up in the alcohol industry, whether they be consumers or suppliers, believe its some kind of injustice and its costing jobs and money.

Theyre naive. Its a plan by the govt to reduce the harmful impacts of the ethanol game to all sectors of society.

Respectable Thai people see alcoholism as losing face and are deeply shamed by it. If your only conversation with Thais is to a bargirl working for tips and short times, then you may not be aware of this. 

This explains the drinking at a restaurant rule. A glass of beer over dinner is suitable but discos and girly bars are nothing but trouble.

If you think your beer money is worth more to Thais than protecting their culture...then you're sadly mistaken. 

Edited by Rip255
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

Think of the Millions of Baht that could have been generated leading up to Christmas and New Year now lost well done. Not even any point having New Year Celebrations there's nothing to Celebrate for all the out of work staff and unable to provide food. However 30,000 are arriving daily according to TAT some comfort.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Harryhound said:

It's very sad when a government does not consider the hardships imposed on the poorer members of the population when making decisions. 

Thousands of folk have lost their jobs at tourist venues ... restaurants, bars,taxis,rental companies even 7/11 s . through the extended lockdown. An end in sight ,who knows ,every week a different decision. .

Nice to be in government with a regular income. I'm alright Jack.

I take your point, which is one side of the problem. But what else would you have the government do? Personally I would like to have seen them provide much better financial support to businesses and people during the past 20 months. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

If you think your beer money is worth more to Thais than protecting their culture...then you're sadly mistaken. 

There’s only one thing sad about your comments. 

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

It had been a strong rumour, verified with countless politicians and police.

Bit like butter then .. everyone was spreading it .. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vlad said:

Think of the Millions of Baht that could have been generated leading up to Christmas and New Year now lost well done.

Soliciting a hitman generates revenue for the local economy too but unfortunately some transactions (eg alcohol) provide a net negative contribution to society. 

Need proof? Compare the value to society that a fit, tea-totaling 65 year old makes compared to a common barfly of the same age. 

One is spritely, probably still working and playing football with the grandkids while still earning AND spending money on other products. 

The other is immobile, burdening the healthcare system and misses his grandsons football final cos its 'happy hour' down at the local dive bar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Soliciting a hitman generates revenue for the local economy too

Do you have a contact number for a hitman near you? I have a job for him….

• Like 2
  • Haha 16

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Think the top notch ones are doing a recon job in Germany at the moment. 😂

19 minutes ago, vlad said:

Think of the Millions of Baht that could have been generated leading up to Christmas and New Year now lost well done. Not even any point having New Year Celebrations there's nothing to Celebrate for all the out of work staff and unable to provide food. However 30,000 are arriving daily according to TAT some comfort.

No it’s 30000 since November 1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Seems like they dont know whats going on in Phuket, Patong in full swing so Im told

I wouldn't say it's in "full swing", but there are signs that it is heading back to normal with some of the bars re-opened: This was from 2 days ago.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I shouldn't need to say this, but since you have replied to every post I make I'll say it ONE TIME only.

I dont reply to trolls. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Theyre naive. Its a plan by the govt to reduce the harmful impacts of the ethanol game to all sectors of society.

I think that is part of it and also a sterilization of the out in the open girly fun nightlife industry. And that includes the thai one’s either the Pretties who sell beer and servers. But that fun will still prevail but more masked as the ugly themselves will never give it up as is probably part of their boys club. 
If you aren’t aware they seem to have also hit hard on in the cigarette area. Or something has I should say.

Here in CM they have virtually been out of many many lower cost to medium cost brands. Stores like 7-11 are plainly out and have been for awhile now. So I wouldn’t even look to the middle of Jan 2022 for any big change as I think they don’t care and are going to squeeze it harder and make it harder to open through red tape. And meanwhile they kill the country and people’s livelihoods in the interim and tourist numbers will plummet from this charade. 

3 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

I shouldn't need to say this, but since you have replied to every post I make I'll say it ONE TIME only.

I dont reply to trolls. 

Thanks for the reply 😉.

Get some help mate. You clearly have been hurt by something associated with alcohol, or maybe have had your heart broken by a bar girl in the past. It’s nothing to be ashamed of and there are people who can help. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 10

39 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I take your point, which is one side of the problem. But what else would you have the government do? Personally I would like to have seen them provide much better financial support to businesses and people during the past 20 months. 

Unusually, but far from for the first time, we're in absolute agreement.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Soidog said:

Thanks for the reply 😉.

Get some help mate. You clearly have been hurt by something associated with alcohol, or maybe have had your heart broken by a bar girl in the past. It’s nothing to be ashamed of and there are people who can help. 

Well he also is only  38/39 so at that impressionable age where they  think they need to impress people on a forum perhaps so we should give him a bit of latitude so as he can relieve the emotional stress of what you have deduced 😉

35 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

Soliciting a hitman generates revenue for the local economy too but unfortunately some transactions (eg alcohol) provide a net negative contribution to society. 

Need proof? Compare the value to society that a fit, tea-totaling 65 year old makes compared to a common barfly of the same age. 

One is spritely, probably still working and playing football with the grandkids while still earning AND spending money on other products. 

The other is immobile, burdening the healthcare system and misses his grandsons football final cos its 'happy hour' down at the local dive bar.

I will disagree but you are ok to have your opinion and stay away and out of all bars if that is your choice. I didn’t go quite often but I do like to go out with visiting friends from the USA to have drinks and fun. It is part of Thailand’s allure and nothing you can say will or could change that. Take away bars and nightlife and alcohol and they have successfully killed tourism. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JackIsAGoodBoy said:

And how long will that take, to attract the girls (and boys) necessary and to give the bars and clubs a dust down and a lick of paint?

A week?

Maybe two, at the outside.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I wouldn't say it's in "full swing", but there are signs that it is heading back to normal with some of the bars re-opened: This was from 2 days ago.

Wow. I think I need to go to Phuket. I am fully vaccinated. 

• Haha 3

The pandemic may have begun the demise of so many businesses... but the government is sealing their fate. It shows what happens when an army tries to be a government. It doesn't work. When, and I say when not if, a democratic government returns to Thailand, I hope to see a government that supports small businesses as my own government has. It's not perfect, but it's lot better than this effort. Go back to being an army. It's what you were trained for. Leave government to those who are elected.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

They truly are inscrutable people. Government announced to the world that bars and nightlife would remain closed until mid Jan 2022 and yet this is how it is already 😂😂

• Like 2