Mask wearing . The reality?

Dodgey

What's it like outside of busy areas? I.e quiet islands / beaches. 

Planning a two month stay but not if I have to wear a mask walking along the beach. I'll endure them when transiting but I'm not up for returning to daily permanent use, particularly outdoors. Taken long enough at home to get shot of them.

• Like 2

Just back from Phuket Sandbox and am in Bangkok. Quiet beach no problem. Going swimming, no problem. Riding scooters, walking in town, doing anything else: everybody is wearing a mask. Same in Bangkok. In Phuket I saw a group of six people on three scooters stopped at a checkpoint with helmets on but no masks. The only seen one person not wearing a mask in Bangkok (he had it under his chin). But the guy he was walking with did have a mask on. If you're coming, plan on wearing a mask.

5 hours ago, Dodgey said:

Cheers. We will end up on a very quiet island so it'll be suck it up till we get there I guess.

The thing is, if Thais on that island are all wearing masks, you should as well

Even if their is no enforcement 

You shouldn't travel somewhere and not do as the locals do

I personally don't think you need a mask outdoors anywhere, except maybe a crowded market

But you should still follow the locals lead 

• Like 9

Can't agree with you there I'm afraid. I'll follow common sense and science, not what I "should" do. I also don't live my life like a Thai. I go there on holiday.

Am I respectful?, of course. Do I Wai?, no, I'm not Thai.

I have been one of the few in the UK that have pretty much refused to wear one throughout this. If I did as I "should do" over here, I'd wear one in Waitrose, but not Tescos. It's all nonsense

I'm taking north of £10k to Thailand for 8 weeks (and have spent way way more than that over the years). Up to them if they want it. Else I'll take it elsewhere.

Edited by Dodgey

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The thing is, if Thais on that island are all wearing masks, you should as well

Even if their is no enforcement 

You shouldn't travel somewhere and not do as the locals do

I personally don't think you need a mask outdoors anywhere, except maybe a crowded market

But you should still follow the locals lead 

For me it's following the science but just as much respecting everyone else - if you are the only person not wearing one in an area where everyone else is, not only is that highly disrespectful in my opinion, you also look a complete idiot.

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Dodgey said:

Can't agree with you there I'm afraid. I'll follow common sense and science, not what I "should" do. I also don't live my life like a Thai. I go there on holiday.

I have been one of the few in the UK that have pretty much refused to wear one throughout this. If I did as I "should do" over here, I'd wear one in Waitrose, but not Tescos. It's all nonsense

I'm taking north of £10k to Thailand for 8 weeks (and have spent way way more than that over the years). Up to them if they want it. Else I'll take it elsewhere.

What an absolutely ignorant statement 

And it's jackasses like you that give all farangs a bad name

And your comment about how much you are spending is laughable  (not a ton for 8 weeks  by the way)

10k £ big woop. People spend that on a week or 2 holiday, you ain't nothing special spending your yearly savings....

It's thia attitude of the shit farangs they don't want.

If Thais are wearing masks and you don't want

Stay the fcuk back in the UK.....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Benroon said:

For me it's following the science but just as much respecting everyone else - if you are the only person not wearing one in an area where everyone else is, not only is that highly disrespectful in my opinion, you also look a complete idiot.

Exactly

As I said, I think it is extremely rare that you can catch covid outdoors 

But if the locals are wearing masks, you should follow suit

We went to Mexico and wore masks outdoor in Cancun because that is mandated and expected 

When we went to an island that the locals weren't wearing masks

We took them off and wore them when going indoors only 

We followed what the locals were doing 

It's their country and we are guests

Edited by Marc26
  • Like 3

I've said it before

I will never get people bragging or talking about how much money they will spend in a country

Big frigging woop

You are spending money you want to spend to have a good time

I've never once, in all my travels, thought of what I am "contributing" to a place I visit(or leave)

I'm spending the money I want to spend 

expect to wear a mask everywhere you go with no exceptions except walking on the beach in some areas, assuming the beach is open and some forms of outdoor exercise like walking in a park or remote area, jogging, bike riding.

masks are required on motorbike taxi, public transportation, shops, malls, all small businesses, walking down the sidewalk, standing in front of a 7 eleven, restaurants until you are seated at your table. then you replace your mask before you stand up from your table for any reason. 

Your mask goes on as you leave your hotel room and remains on everywhere you go. i put a mask on to meet the Lazada delivery person at my front gate. they are wearing a mask. everyone wears a mask while riding their scooter. my mask stays on all day when i am away from my house except to eat. 

On 11/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dodgey said:

What's it like outside of busy areas? I.e quiet islands / beaches. 

Planning a two month stay but not if I have to wear a mask walking along the beach. I'll endure them when transiting but I'm not up for returning to daily permanent use, particularly outdoors. Taken long enough at home to get shot of them.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Dodgey said:

Well.......bye

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

What an absolutely ignorant statement 

And it's jackasses like you that give all farangs a bad name

And your comment about how much you are spending is laughable  (not a ton for 8 weeks  by the way)

10k £ big woop. People spend that on a week or 2 holiday, you ain't nothing special spending your yearly savings....

It's thia attitude of the shit farangs they don't want.

If Thais are wearing masks and you don't want

Stay the fcuk back in the UK.....

Come on man! Despite the peculiar comments by the person  your  addressing, enough with the insults !

Wow - that generated a few outbursts, from one person.

I'm enquiring as a tourits, not an expat.

Thailand are desperate for tourists. That's me. Hence my enquiry. Wasn't asking for judgement, just what it's like on the ground so to speak, which I got a good answer to from the 1st reply (Thanks JamesE).

I want to know what it's going to be like as a holiday maker. Nothing more.

I'm coming... on holiday, to a country that is promoting holidays. Not a cultural exchange.

I've endured the mask fiasco over here, and simply want to know what it's like in real terms in Thainlaind. Much the same as the alcohol question. The rules say no one can drink in bars, the reality coming back through forums is that beer is simply being served discreetly, or in coffee cups. 

As to what I spend - it's not boasting. I'm talking simply about my tourist dollar. It's a commodity in demand and I'd like to feel it's appreciated in the country I take it to.

8 hours ago, riclag said:

Come on man! Despite the peculiar comments by the person  your  addressing, enough with the insults !

Nope

It pisses me off when people want to go to a country during covid and not follow what the locals are doing 

I am sure you know Thailand well enough that if the vast majority of Thais are wearing masks, than they would prefer the tourists wore masks

But they would be too polite to say so

I actually agree with the guy, I don't think you should have to wear masks outdoors

But if it's the norm in another country , then wear a damn mask

Or stay home.....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dodgey said:

I've endured the mask fiasco over here, and simply want to know what it's like in real terms in Thainlaind.

it is expected by everyone that you wear a mask. the Thai people everywhere you go want you to wear a mask. to them it is not a fiasco, it is common courtesy and it is something to help protect them from the communist Chinese virus.

when you watch Thai TV the news people are wearing masks in the studio reading the news. The Thais are scared of covid.   

the fine for not wearing a mask in public is between 6000 to 20,000 baht depending on location.  

this is not like bending the rules like not wearing a helmet. 

also expect to have your temperature taken at many locations like 7 eleven and your hotel as you enter. this is also very common. at 7 eleven if you forget to put your hand on the scanner as you enter the employees will screech at you from behind the counter and point to the machine.

one a average day i have my temperature taken two to four times a day. 

i also have to sign in at the malls with my name and phone number every time i enter or use a app on my phone to transmit the data. 

• Like 4

In Pattaya its masks everywhere aside from exercise and eating. Sitting on the beach or walking to the 7 eleven u could probably get away without wearing one. Some massage parlours are cool with no mask too. 

In the non tourist city of Chonburi its the same but more strict. You simply couldnt go anywhere because the locals would probably attack you. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Rip255 said:

In Pattaya its masks everywhere aside from exercise and eating. Sitting on the beach or walking to the 7 eleven u could probably get away without wearing one. Some massage parlours are cool with no mask too. 

In the non tourist city of Chonburi its the same but more strict. You simply couldnt go anywhere because the locals would probably attack you. 

Seems I am very lucky living in a small village in Southern Isaan where 'time stood still'.  Only a very small minority of the villagers are practicing asocial distancing or wearing a mask.  I NEVER wear one, except when going to the supermarket or shops in the nearby provincial city.

8 hours ago, Dodgey said:

Thailand are desperate for tourists. That's me. Hence my enquiry. Wasn't asking for judgement, just what it's like on the ground so to speak, which I got a good answer to from the 1st reply (Thanks JamesE).

I'm coming... on holiday, to a country that is promoting holidays. Not a cultural exchange.

I've endured the mask fiasco over here, and simply want to know what it's like in real terms in Thainlaind. Much the same as the alcohol question. The rules say no one can drink in bars, the reality coming back through forums is that beer is simply being served discreetly, or in coffee cups. 

As to what I spend - it's not boasting. I'm talking simply about my tourist dollar. It's a commodity in demand and I'd like to feel it's appreciated in the country I take it to.

Added to my ignore list - nothing this ignorant bigotted fool says is of interest to me.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BlueSphinx said:

Seems I am very lucky living in a small village in Southern Isaan where 'time stood still'.  Only a very small minority of the villagers are practicing asocial distancing or wearing a mask.  I NEVER wear one, except when going to the supermarket or shops in the nearby provincial city.

Yep - the right thing to do is to do what the locals do.  As the only saying goes: 'when in Rome'  Doing anything else is ignorant and bigotted. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The reality of the situation is this...

Thai people would rather have less tourism than farangs that dont wear masks everywhere they go.

Thats a unanimous sentiment. Ive never once heard a Thai person say they think masks are unnecessary. 

Theyd probably point a non mask wearer out to the police if given the chance.

And the cop would fine you the full amount with a moments hesitstion.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, riclag said:

Yeah let him come. He'll spend his 10K but it may well be not how he planned, no mask at customs and immigration or on plane, "doing it his way", wrong attitude in general, Thais will only put up with so much.

Predict first 14 days will be in quarantine, (5 star for this bloke) and if attitude doesn't improve back on a plane home again broke.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dodgey said:

Taken long enough at home to get shot of them.

13 hours ago, Dodgey said:

have been one of the few in the UK that have pretty much refused to wear one throughout this.

So what are you whinging about?

Anyway, good on you for planning to spend 10k.

We are all in absolute awe of you hi-rollers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Gee, spend 10K for 8 weeks. What arrogance. I spend more than 10K for 8 weeks every week as a resident here as do most of the expats here. You seem to think that you are something special by your boasting about your money that you will spend and have spent here.

11 hours ago, Dodgey said:

Hell will freeze over before Thailand become desperate for Farangs like YOU.

• Like 4