Mask wearing . The reality?

Dodgey

19 hours ago, Dodgey said:

Can't agree with you there I'm afraid. I'll follow common sense and science, not what I "should" do. I also don't live my life like a Thai. I go there on holiday.

Am I respectful?, of course. Do I Wai?, no, I'm not Thai.

I have been one of the few in the UK that have pretty much refused to wear one throughout this. If I did as I "should do" over here, I'd wear one in Waitrose, but not Tescos. It's all nonsense

I'm taking north of £10k to Thailand for 8 weeks (and have spent way way more than that over the years). Up to them if they want it. Else I'll take it elsewhere.

I live here.  I also agree.  Follow the science, not the human doing nonsense.  I do not wai either.  I shake hands. 

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

I think it just made her feel a bit self-conscious when going into to the local 7/11

Not at all.  I didn't have a mask when I went out to walk.  I don't wear one while exercising.  I put a plastic bag over my head and made eye holes.  NO one dared speak to me.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dodgey said:

What's it like outside of busy areas? I.e quiet islands / beaches. 

Planning a two month stay but not if I have to wear a mask walking along the beach. I'll endure them when transiting but I'm not up for returning to daily permanent use, particularly outdoors. Taken long enough at home to get shot of them.

Pattaya 80% of farangs are wearing them as chin diapers or below their nose, or not at all.  Thais wear masks properly and close to 100% wearing them still here in Pattaya on the street and in malls

Thais sitting on the beach under umbrellas are not wearing them and on the beach itself mostly not wearing masks as well. 

Malls and 7-11's will not let you in unless you are wearing a mask still.  

Foreigners stand out and if police see you in Pattaya you could get fined, but like helmets on motorbikes, not enforced much for the last few months that I can tell.   Strict enforcement and fines were common in April through June, but not so much now.

Up to you, but the Thais will stay away other than those working at massage or sexy massage, etc...

• Like 2

Just now, ExpatPattaya said:

Pattaya 80% of farangs are wearing them as chin diapers or below their nose, or not at all.  Thais wear masks properly and close to 100% wearing them still here in Pattaya on the street and in malls

Thais sitting on the beach under umbrellas are not wearing them and on the beach itself mostly not wearing masks as well. 

Malls and 7-11's will not let you in unless you are wearing a mask still.  

Foreigners stand out and if police see you in Pattaya you could get fined, but like helmets on motorbikes, not enforced much for the last few months that I can tell.   Strict enforcement and fines were common in April through June, but not so much now.

Up to you, but the Thais will stay away other than those working at massage or sexy massage, etc...

And this is a bad thing?

46 minutes ago, gummy said:

my wife did draw the line at wearing this

I think she may have objected to the ribbed part on the inside.

18 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

I live here.  I also agree.  Follow the science, not the human doing nonsense.  I do not wai either.  I shake hands. 

I was at my local Bangkok Bank a couple of weeks ago. It was around lunch time, fairly busy and only one teller working, when an American came in with his girlfriend.
He immediately pulled his mask under his chin, which his girlfriend told him to pull up, which he refused and started arguing with her. Soon the security guard also requested he pull his mask up, which he did all but for 30 seconds. On the second request from the security guard he started giving him verbal abuse in English, which the guard obviously couldn't understand.

He was causing a scene at which point I spoke to him, like it or not it's the law in Thailand to wear a mask in public places. He had the same attitude as you, disrespectful, outspoken and a complete prat.
It mattered not, as within minutes a police pick up arrived, carted him out, never to be seen again.

According to his girlfriend he'd just arrived the day before after quarantine.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

I was at my local Bangkok Bank a couple of weeks ago. It was around lunch time, fairly busy and only one teller working, when an American came in with his girlfriend.
He immediately pulled his mask under his chin, which his girlfriend told him to pull up, which he refused and started arguing with her. Soon the security guard also requested he pull his mask up, which he did all but for 30 seconds. On the second request from the security guard he started giving him verbal abuse in English, which the guard obviously couldn't understand.

He was causing a scene at which point I spoke to him, like it or not it's the law in Thailand to wear a mask in public places. He had the same attitude as you, disrespectful, outspoken and a complete prat.
It mattered not, as within minutes a police pick up arrived, carted him out, never to be seen again.

What happened about his girlfriend, just asking 😉

6 minutes ago, gummy said:

She was left at the bank. She'd only met him the day before for the first time after previously corresponding on a dating site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Faz said:

She was left at the bank. She'd only met him the day before for the first time after previously corresponding on a dating site.

Well no  doubt that clouded her judgement about how nice foreigners are perhaps.

13 minutes ago, Faz said:

Good story! I hate masks 😷 too !

But this country tells everyone to cover up or else ! I use to have a problem with rules back in the day when I was forced  to wear a hard hat  at work sites! My boss use to say,Ricky play the game!  As much as I dislike masks ! I play the game cause its the law!

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

Buh bye!

It's compulsory to wear a face mask once you step outside your own front door according to Thailand Emergency Decree. As an 'alien' in a foreign Country you don't want to end up on the wrong side of the law.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, gummy said:

Why do you think they were at the bank?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Tjampman said:

I really don't understand you people who think you should not follow the rules in a foreign country.

How do you feel about foreigners in your country not following the rules?

I am sure you don't think of them as great people who can think for themselves, so why would you be like that in another country?

But if that is how you really feel, you should stay at home instead of giving your home country a bad name.

You are exactly right.  All of those foreigners massing on the USA southern border who cross illegally should just go home if they don't want to live by the rules.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneAngryJew said:

Not at all.  I didn't have a mask when I went out to walk.  I don't wear one while exercising.  I put a plastic bag over my head and made eye holes.  NO one dared speak to me.

Wouldn't blame anyone for not talking to you wearing a plastic bag, lucky Joe F's mates didn't see you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, riclag said:

Good story! I hate masks 😷 too !

But this country tells everyone to cover up or else ! I use to have a problem with rules back in the day when I was forced  to wear a hard hat  at work sites! My boss use to say,Ricky play the game!  As much as I dislike masks ! I play the game cause its the law!

I always wear a hard hat at work except for climbing derricks. But it sucks. Masks are there for a reason. Not just to protect from the China virus but also stop those that have it from spreading it. But it still sucks.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

You are exactly right.  All of those foreigners massing on the USA southern border who cross illegally should just go home if they don't want to live by the rules.  

And many north of the border. Oh but wait...Brandon needs the votes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hardly surprising.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My GF had the D Variant 3 months ago.  She's immune.  Now following science, why don't all your armchair scientists explain why she needs to wear a mask, anywhere and at any time.

Is this good or bad in your opinion?

Is it better to be part of the problem or part of the solution?

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

Why aren't they wearing masks ?

Is this good or bad in your opinion?

I don't see how my opinion has any bearing on this discussion.

• Like 2

not sure where you guys have been but was in bang tao area of phuket last week and only people i saw wearing mask were hotel employees who are forced to and inside villa market or 7/11, almost nobody outside is wearing a mask, include big 5 star hotels etc

starting to see more and more people not wearing one while walking outside in bangkok