Mask wearing . The reality?

Dodgey

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

to them it is not a fiasco, it is common courtesy and it is something to help protect them from the communist Chinese virus.

Yep. Let's protect all people here until the time is right and says we can let our guard down a little. 

For the OP. Yes the money is needed and hope it is spread around to the small guys here. Fact is it is not all that bad but please don't make us foreigners here look more like the bad eggs as it only takes one to start an online insurgence against foreigners which can literally pin targets on us more than what they are already. 

You are not the only one tired of this, China started this BS virus escapade. If you want to come then be a good person. You will have in and out times with being mask free here, but don't push it. I even looked at a Thai guy at a Big C store the other week and pointed to my mask. He plainly just forgot he had it down as was working on payment as was at check out and then put it back on with a little shyness look towards me. I was very nice about it though.. If you were to do that with no mask and on purpose, then the repercussions could be heavier, and honestly it might just be a person like me who get's straight up bent if it is in the wrong place. My wife is still not vaccinated but probably will get 1rs Moderna dose end of this week or next week, and my kids 2nd shot is tomorrow, and so I am very protective about people in general.

• Thanks 1

Astounding how much virtue signaling blather is on this thread. 

Here is all this nonsense in a nutshell. 

Masks do not stop the spread of covid. Never have, never will. It is just a ridiculous visual that makes the weak minded and those lacking common sense feel better about themselves. 

Most thais think it will protect you and those around you. as the useless fear mongering government has decided to make it a rule that you have to wear one. 

It's useless, but these idiots have decided that wearing a face knappy is a requirement as they continue to crush tens of millions of people's lives and businesses. 

You don’t have to agree with the ridiculous rules, as anyone with a sliver of common sense knows masks do not stop the spread. 

But it makes weak people feel better, and they want to be able to virtue signal about their willingness to be a better person, so we have no choice for the time being. 

31 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

For the OP. Yes the money is needed and hope it is spread around to the small guys here. Fact is it is not all that bad but please don't make us foreigners here look more like the bad eggs as it only takes one to start an online insurgence against foreigners which can literally pin targets on us more than what they are already. 

You are not the only one tired of this, China started this BS virus escapade. If you want to come then be a good person. You will have in and out times with being mask free here, but don't push it. I even looked at a Thai guy at a Big C store the other week and pointed to my mask. He plainly just forgot he had it down as was working on payment as was at check out and then put it back on with a little shyness look towards me. I was very nice about it though.. If you were to do that with no mask and on purpose, then the repercussions could be heavier, and honestly it might just be a person like me who get's straight up bent if it is in the wrong place. My wife is still not vaccinated but probably will get 1rs Moderna dose end of this week or next week, and my kids 2nd shot is tomorrow, and so I am very protective about people in general.

Tip of the Fedora to you mate! You have properly explained the mask dilemma ,your opinion and most importantly without the insults !

42 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

Astounding how much virtue signaling blather is on this thread. 

this topic is not about if masks work or not.   

it is about the ops question about where it is necessary to wear masks in Thailand. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

this topic is not about if masks work or not.   

it is about the ops question about where it is necessary to wear masks in Thailand. 

Actually it is about mask wearing reality. 

Are they necessary? In reality, no.

As They do nothing to stop the virus from spreading. 

But is it a rule made up arbitrarily by the government? Yes. 

How's that? 

no.

this topic is about what to expect as a tourist in Thailand in regards to wearing a mask and how that might impact his trip. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, riclag said:

Tip of the Fedora to you mate! You have properly explained the mask dilemma ,your opinion and most importantly without the insults !

I try not to lash out too hard or much on people but just tell it how it is and we are all in this together.

I just had a friend who is all out anti and he and several friends around him got it right now. Hope they don't' get too sick, but who knows. If this OP wants to come here then he better do his best and his part to help the ones around him not get sick and not make himself and foreigners look like trouble makers. Too many people unvaccinated and anti us or could go anti us in a split of an instant.

10 minutes ago, mcambl61 said:

Actually it is about mask wearing reality. 

Are they necessary? In reality, no.

As They do nothing to stop the virus from spreading. 

But is it a rule made up arbitrarily by the government? Yes. 

How's that? 

Well, contrary to your thinking it is doing a good job. not perfect but way far better than not having masks on. One comparison is how the flu in the US was literally brought down to low low low digits. And you ask why? If you have to ask why then please just stay away from people who do not want to want you around them with no mask on or not properly put over your nose as well. Not your right and is a good mandate as far as I am concerned.

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

Well, contrary to your thinking it is doing a good job. not perfect but way far better than not having masks on. One comparison is how the flu in the US was literally brought down to low low low digits. And you ask why? If you have to ask why then please just stay away from people who do not want to want you around them with no mask on or not properly put over your nose as well. Not your right and is a good mandate as far as I am concerned.

And where are you getting this data from that proves it is "doing a good job"? 

you can't possibly try to relate reported flu cases during a plandemic as your evidence with any validity. 

Enjoy the mask nazi posturing. 

I am vaccinated, so wasn't that supposed to be the solution? 

Or do we just keep moving the goal posts to satisfy the eternally frightened? 

1 minute ago, Transam said:

Or the other side, eternally stupid.....🥴

Yes, your irrational emotional fear is certainly that. 

17 hours ago, Dodgey said:

Can't agree with you there I'm afraid. I'll follow common sense and science, not what I "should" do. I also don't live my life like a Thai. I go there on holiday.

Am I respectful?, of course. Do I Wai?, no, I'm not Thai.

I have been one of the few in the UK that have pretty much refused to wear one throughout this. If I did as I "should do" over here, I'd wear one in Waitrose, but not Tescos. It's all nonsense

I'm taking north of £10k to Thailand for 8 weeks (and have spent way way more than that over the years). Up to them if they want it. Else I'll take it elsewhere.

Sorry, but you need to accept local ways. Do you also refuse to remove your shoes when going in places requiring you to do so, or removing your hat in church? I don't like wearing a mask but do so to show my hosts that I care. 

20 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You shouldn't travel somewhere and not do as the locals do

Pure nonsense.  Locals eat cockroaches, gamble, cheat on their wives and many other "Thai" things.  I'm American.  I'm not Thai and never will be.

• Cool 1

56 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Sorry, but you need to accept local ways. Do you also refuse to remove your shoes when going in places requiring you to do so, or removing your hat in church? I don't like wearing a mask but do so to show my hosts that I care. 

Removing shoes makes sense to me, but driving at 90mph on a busy street on a motorbike has no appeal to me.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dodgey said:

What's it like outside of busy areas? I.e quiet islands / beaches. 

Planning a two month stay but not if I have to wear a mask walking along the beach. I'll endure them when transiting but I'm not up for returning to daily permanent use, particularly outdoors. Taken long enough at home to get shot of them.

I just returned from Jomtien Beach.  Wear it to go into a 7-Eleven or store, otherwise no one seems to care. 

I also refuse to dutifully stick my hand up to a Thermometer built to take from the forehead not the hand.  

I watched today, a worker in the 7/11 leave the store, only to turn around and he checked his temp on the way in.

Human doings.

Edited by OneAngryJew
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, El_Trauco said:

These do not prove that they stop or reduce the spread of covid. Many are anecdotal and most well before delta. 

There simply is no verification that masks have reduced the amount of spread. 

But if they make you feel better and "safer" then wear them for the rest of your life. 

13 minutes ago, OneAngryJew said:

Removing shoes makes sense to me, but driving at 90mph on a busy street on a motorbike has no appeal to me.

Agree. Mostly with no helmut if that makes a difference.

However, we also have such nit wits in the US. 

My point is fitting in to local customs vs standing out as jerk. Falang are always in the spotlight because we stand out. If we want to be accepted, we need to follow what Thais are doing. If not one shouldn't be offended by the names they'll call.

Just now, LoongFred said:

Agree. Mostly with no helmut if that makes a difference.

However, we also have such nit wits in the US. 

My point is fitting in to local customs vs standing out as jerk. Falang are always in the spotlight because we stand out. If we want to be accepted, we need to follow what Thais are doing. If not one shouldn't be offended by the names they'll call.

I don't care if I am accepted.  My wife would tell me all the time as she was aghast at some of the things our condo neighbors would say about me.  Since I don't understand Thai, I never knew, nor did I care.  I won't lower myself in intelligence to be accepted.  Yes, we have many idiots in the USA. I don't want to be accepted by them either.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dodgey said:

What's it like outside of busy areas? I.e quiet islands / beaches. 

I'm at the extreme north part of Thailand, in Chiang Rai province -- in a sparsely populated village about 60 km east of Chiang Rai city. Everyone wears masks, even on motorbikes here.  People just do what they're told without bitching and complaining about it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

I'm at the extreme north part of Thailand, in Chiang Rai province -- in a sparsely populated village about 60 km east of Chiang Rai city. Everyone wears masks, even on motorbikes here.  People just do what they're told without bitching and complaining about it.

Is this good or bad in your opinion?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ThailandBob said:

In our village very few wear a mask whilst wondering around but whenever we go beyond it is almost 100%.

Its automatic for us now I guess but in the early days when you had to remember or remind people to put there mask on my wife did draw the line at wearing this 😄

image.png.cbb84801a2fb10fa01ee39f670dc8a1e.png

Just now, gummy said:

In our village very few wear a mask whilst wondering around but whenever we go beyond it is almost 100%.

Its automatic for us now I guess but in the early days when you had to remember or remind people to put there mask on my wife did draw the line at wearing this 😄

image.png.cbb84801a2fb10fa01ee39f670dc8a1e.png

That would protect her better than the cloth masks or surgical masks which are next to useless.

• Like 1

Just now, OneAngryJew said:

That would protect her better than the cloth masks or surgical masks which are next to useless.

I think it just made her feel a bit self-conscious when going into to the local 7/11