Show me your Order

spicy_girl

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I had some of the best Mexican food of my life......in Thailand 

And I'm still confused how the hell she is doing this!

Manana in Ao Nang

Very good info this on a couple of fronts.

I’ve found Mexican restaurants in Asia to be very hit and miss. The best ones I’ve found so far have all been in the Philippines. Good to hear of a recommendation 👍🏻

My wife and I have been to Krabi three times and decided not to go again because of the food. One of the great things about traveling in Thailand for us is heading out to find somewhere for dinner. It’s always great, except in Krabi where most of the restaurants are awful. 

One good place Bamboo? or Bang Boo? on the right a few minutes walk up the road out of Ao Nang, and also the Ma and Pa food cart right up the other end of the beach strip. Nowhere else.

35 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Very good info this on a couple of fronts.

I’ve found Mexican restaurants in Asia to be very hit and miss. The best ones I’ve found so far have all been in the Philippines. Good to hear of a recommendation 👍🏻

My wife and I have been to Krabi three times and decided not to go again because of the food. One of the great things about traveling in Thailand for us is heading out to find somewhere for dinner. It’s always great, except in Krabi where most of the restaurants are awful. 

One good place Bamboo? or Bang Boo? on the right a few minutes walk up the road out of Ao Nang, and also the Ma and Pa food cart right up the other end of the beach strip. Nowhere else.

Funny

I've found the opposite 

I think there are a lot of great restaurants in Ao Nang

For whatever reason

Ao Nang seems to have a lot of good bistro type restaurants 

Mexican restaurants are my safe space

Because to me even a bad taco is edible 55555

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Funny

I've found the opposite 

I think there are a lot of great restaurants in Ao Nang

For whatever reason

Ao Nang seems to have a lot of good bistro type restaurants 

Mexican restaurants are my safe space

Because to me even a bad taco is edible 55555

I think in a nutshell, it’s “wrong rice, wrong spice” or “no spice” depending on where you go. Our feeling was that the restaurant owners in Krabi were much better at interior design than cooking. 

As you would know, a lot of the Thai restaurants in the main tourist area in Ao Nang are staffed in the kitchen by non Thais, which is why you end up with basmati rice and an odd garam masala flavor in every dish. Not great, unless you’re a fan of experimental Thai-Indian fusion. 

My wife is one of the smiliest, friendliest people you’d meet, never complains, but was on the warpath in Krabi, that’s for sure. On one night, we found a nice place and after confirming that all the kitchen staff were Thai, sat down to order. The waitress took our order, called out to the kitchen and added “mai phet” at the end. My wife took exception and asked her why, she replied “Farang no eat spicy”. The wife’s blood boiled at this point:

”I’m from Java. You don’t even know what spicy means!” 😂😂😂

I did find the SEA infighting somewhat entertaining, I must admit 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I think in a nutshell, it’s “wrong rice, wrong spice” or “no spice” depending on where you go. Our feeling was that the restaurant owners in Krabi were much better at interior design than cooking. 

As you would know, a lot of the Thai restaurants in the main tourist area in Ao Nang are staffed in the kitchen by non Thais, which is why you end up with basmati rice and an odd garam masala flavor in every dish. Not great, unless you’re a fan of experimental Thai-Indian fusion. 

My wife is one of the smiliest, friendliest people you’d meet, never complains, but was on the warpath in Krabi, that’s for sure. On one night, we found a nice place and after confirming that all the kitchen staff were Thai, sat down to order. The waitress took our order, called out to the kitchen and added “mai phet” at the end. My wife took exception and asked her why, she replied “Farang no eat spicy”. The wife’s blood boiled at this point:

”I’m from Java. You don’t even know what spicy means!” 😂😂😂

I did find the SEA infighting somewhat entertaining, I must admit 😁

Again

Funny you say that 

I was solo, no wife

I told her I had an amazing red curry the other day but that it was more Indian-Thai fusion and she quickly turned up her nose at that....

We've eaten mostly western meals at night in Ao Nang 

So those are the ones I found good

Best meal I had on this trip was the red duck curry in Kamala Phuket 

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I was solo, no wife

I told her I had an amazing red curry the other day but that it was more Indian-Thai fusion and she quickly turned up her nose at that....

I think that might be our common ground. Regardless of the country, SEA folks have a firm idea about how dishes should be spiced up. 

A lot of visiting farangs are either none the wiser or more open minded. My wife took the Indian fusion angle as an affront and also turned her nose up at it.

4 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I think that might be our common ground. Regardless of the country, SEA folks have a firm idea about how dishes should be spiced up. 

A lot of visiting farangs are either none the wiser or more open minded. My wife took the Indian fusion angle as an affront and also turned her nose up at it.

And as a Thai my wife knew what places were more authentic Thai when she was in Ao Nang the two previous times so we never ran into the "fusion" issue until I was solo  :)

When she is down South she is looking for certain Southern Thai food and she usually finds what she wants 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FUJI at central Airport was our 'go to' for Japanese in Chiang Mai but it's fallen off in quality and serving size while prices rose.  So we tried a new place at Central festival - TENYA - though it's name is not prominently displayed as such > outlets around Thailand, incl Bangkok, here's what to look for >

image.png.fe836c7bfe9bc69e6be2aa6481fd1c67.png

It's very affordable and good quality food with table service and NO service charge.  'Tendon' equates to 'tempura served on rice' although the menu extends to other non-tempura dishes.

Our 2 lunch sets came in at under 500 bt incl drinks.  Gyoza and the tofu salad were exceptional.

image.thumb.png.92f3aa04724c6453974342764f830cfa.png

image.thumb.png.f37e4e2bee75ffd36e8aa092ea2854b2.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

FUJI at central Airport was our 'go to' for Japanese in Chiang Mai but it's fallen off in quality and serving size while prices rose.  So we tried a new place at Central festival - TENYA - though it's name is not prominently displayed as such > outlets around Thailand, incl Bangkok, here's what to look for >

image.png.fe836c7bfe9bc69e6be2aa6481fd1c67.png

It's very affordable and good quality food with table service and NO service charge.  'Tendon' equates to 'tempura served on rice' although the menu extends to other non-tempura dishes.

Our 2 lunch sets came in at under 500 bt incl drinks.  Gyoza and the tofu salad were exceptional.

image.thumb.png.92f3aa04724c6453974342764f830cfa.png

image.thumb.png.f37e4e2bee75ffd36e8aa092ea2854b2.png

Not a fan of those tempura tendon places 

But looks decent 

Obviously you live there but I have way too good of Japanese in Vancouver ti have it in Thailand 

24 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Not a fan of those tempura tendon places 

But looks decent 

Obviously you live there but I have way too good of Japanese in Vancouver ti have it in Thailand 

Not our normal choice either so I was pleasantly surprised.  You're spoilt for choices in Vancouver or Boston.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:30 PM, KaptainRob said:

FUJI at central Airport was our 'go to' for Japanese in Chiang Mai but it's fallen off in quality and serving size while prices rose.  

Seems like Fuji has gone the wrong direction in several of their locations.  Luckily they have some competition now in the fast casual Japanese category in LOS, so there are quite a few other options.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We ordered fresh pork and seafood from https://paleorobbie.com/

image.png.8c918f47401e5dd78cd34db6abb5ab00.png

The quality is exceptional and delivery by special courier, even long distance, ensures frozen product is still frozen solid.  Sharing the 390bt (outside BKK) delivery with a friend is worthwhile as the foam boxes can carry a lot of product.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the Dominican Republic for 9 days

Eating local

Bandera, national dish

Chicken was good but the beans were amazing!

At at Wilson's Bar

Where a river meets the Atlantic Ocean

Seafood platter was decent but the setting was unreal

Not a huge fan of Dominican food but still like to try local 

20230610_122832.jpg

20230611_122136.jpg

20230611_130306.jpg

20230611_130546.jpg

• Like 2

Ali's Surf Camp

It's a hostel with a big BBQ restaurant 

As most food in the Dominican 

It was good but not great 

20230611_210419.jpg

20230611_210441.jpg

20230611_210439.jpg

• Like 1

Langostines(small lobster) on a local beach in Dominion Republic 

Pretty good and great price 

Around 550baht

20230615_130750.jpg

20230615_132432.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Langostines(small lobster) on a local beach in Dominion Republic 

Pretty good and great price 

Around 550baht

20230615_130750.jpg

Looks very tasty. 

What are the beer and accommodation prices like?  Do a TR in Expat Chat perhaps with a bit more info ... and photos. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Looks very tasty. 

What are the beer and accommodation prices like?  Do a TR in Expat Chat perhaps with a bit more info ... and photos. 

Beer is about 75baht in normal expat/tourist bars and one of my favorites, Presidente 

Around 125baht in high-end places and hotels

One thing is some places charge 18%tax/10% service charge which definitely adds to the costs

But what's weird is one place may charge that and the place next door doesn't 

Accommodation 

We've been getting 2bdrm AirBnb for around 5-5500baht/nt 

Accommodation pic

Header-Image.png

20230611_071554.jpg

• Like 3

Best meal I've had, by far, in Dominican Republic 

I'm in the 2nd largest city, Santiago

Very nice city

Don Carbon

BBQ grill place

Churrasco was good but the ribs were out of this world good

Yuca fries were great as well

20230617_153227.jpg

20230617_153123.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Kwan's Kitchen, Canal Road, Chiang Mai >

Excellent rardna >

image.thumb.png.847d5001e4e4bd609ffa339939941068.png

And pepper chicken stir-fry >

image.thumb.png.bf8debf8c4f6d7306f3fe9b7111dc230.png

Rardna seems like a complicated dish to make, Ao hasn;t found many good ones in Vancouver

Fried clams 

Very much a Boston/New England local food

Am acquired taste because they have the bellies on them

My Thai wife loves them!

20230626_122958.jpg

• Like 1