Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

• 1 month later...

Two movies I've watched recently:

Emancipation - stars Will Smith. 

I didn't like it, neither did Roger Ebert.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/emancipation-movie-review-2022

Don't Worry Darling - stars Florence Pugh.

It was ok, quite enjoyed it.

The Guardian didn't:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/sep/24/dont-worry-darling-review-styles-over-substance-florence-pugh-harry-styles-olivia-wilde

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Don't Worry Darling - stars Florence Pugh.

It was ok, quite enjoyed it.

Thanks @Faraday, I’ll check that out

It goes without saying that a lot of the movies pumped out by the big studios nowadays are cr*p. Visual effects are the priority rather than story telling, to keep dumb people engaged.

• Like 2

Detectorists Special available on iPlayer.

Lance and Andy, and the rest , return as the eternally optimistic pairing set off on another trail to discover buried treasure in the ploughed tracks and open fields of England’s green and pleasant land .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Happy Valley BBC police drama series.

Series 3 is now being broadcast, stars Sarah Lancashire as a no-nonsense police detective in Yorkshire.
The series was written by Sally Wainwright, a well-know writer. The series has received  popular acclaim with viewers and critics alike.

Six episodes - one per week. First was shown last night, available on torrent already.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2022 at 3:08 AM, WilliamG said:

I found it boring, so lasted 20 minutes.

Agreed that it was a "slow starter", but I finished Ep1. and then eagerly looked forward to the rest.

On 11/20/2022 at 2:24 AM, Marble-eye said:

Hi, a quick question (or two) if I may. Is that link you showed, the link you watch your movies with and tv shows on, I did click on it and registered and it says that you need to be an 'Amazon' member to view their services. There is Amazon Prime and a cheaper subscription, are those the only two options, or is there an option to watch free programs. 

Damn, that's three questions. 🤔

Depending on where you are located, you might want to consider an "Android Box". You can buy one for as little as £30, but a decent one will set you back £100. Mine cost €180 and allows me access to most of the Kodi options. In addition, for about €12 a month, you can buy a subscription that gives you access to about 1200 TV stations world-wide, including all the Sky and UK channels as well as a film library of about 6000 films and TV series. I never miss a game watching my beloved Spurs play, and I've discovered that the Serbo-Croat fror "Harry Kane", is similar to English (hahaha). 

There are legal issues concerning these. It is not illegal to watch films or channels on these boxes, but it is illegal to program the boxes. You can buy the boxes "pre-progammed" to get round this. 

https://torrentfreak.com/police-raid-pirate-android-box-sellers-six-arrested-160318/

Some recommendations:

West Side Story: I was not keen on watching this as I had seen the original, and considered it the best musical I'd ever watched. My experience of remakes of "great films", it that they invariably disappoint. This time I was wrong. I had a guest staying over the New Year, Maria from Argentina. For fun, I would sometimes serenade her with "Maria" from that film. She'd never heard of either the song or the film, so she asked if I could find the film for her. Unable to find the original, I reluctantly sat down to watch the remake. I never bothered with the opening credits, and part way through the film, I noticed a face that I couldn't put a name to playing the mother of "Tony". Rita Moreno (who appeaed in the original)? Can't be. She must be at least 80. Looked up the credits on IMDB, and it was her, and I saw her age: 90. She looked great for her age.

Also in the film was Ansel Elgort, who played "Tony". Only a few days earlier, I had watched the series, "Tokyo Vice", my second recommendation. In it he plays a "gaijin" (foreign) journalst working for a Japanese Newspaper in the early 90's who falls foul of the Yakuza. The ending promises a series two as it was "unfinished business". Supposedly a true story. Elgort spent much of the film speaking Japanese. I asked my wife who is Japanese, about his linguistic skills, and she said, "Not bad for a gaijin". I then found this :https://startefacts.com/news/tokyo-vice-here-s-how-ansel-elgort-learned-japanese-so-fast Compare that to Rock Hudson who once said, "I need a script to order a ham sandwich".

My final recommendation is "71". A brutal film about the Northern Ireland toubles. In it, a soldier gets detached from his patrol. I won't spoil it, but by the time I had seen it, neither the British, Catholics or Protestants came out of it with any credit. It really was a very dirty war.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 11:38 PM, BigHewer said:

Thanks @Faraday, I’ll check that out

It goes without saying that a lot of the movies pumped out by the big studios nowadays are cr*p. Visual effects are the priority rather than story telling, to keep dumb people engaged.

I have for sometime been saying that Hollywood increasingly "dumbs down", and "originality" is not in their vocabulary. The spend millions on SFX, and $50 dollars on a script. But it seems to work for them.

I am reminded of the words of "H.L. Mencken. "Nobody ever went broke understimating the intelligence of the American public".

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:03 PM, JohninDublin said:

Some recommendations:

West Side Story: I was not keen on watching this as I had seen the original, and considered it the best musical I'd ever watched. My experience of remakes of "great films", it that they invariably disappoint. This time I was wrong. I had a guest staying over the New Year, Maria from Argentina. For fun, I would sometimes serenade her with "Maria" from that film. She'd never heard of either the song or the film, so she asked if I could find the film for her. Unable to find the original, I reluctantly sat down to watch the remake. I never bothered with the opening credits, and part way through the film, I noticed a face that I couldn't put a name to playing the mother of "Tony". Rita Moreno (who appeaed in the original)? Can't be. She must be at least 80. Looked up the credits on IMDB, and it was her, and I saw her age: 90. She looked great for her age.

Also in the film was Ansel Elgort, who played "Tony". Only a few days earlier, I had watched the series, "Tokyo Vice", my second recommendation. In it he plays a "gaijin" (foreign) journalst working for a Japanese Newspaper in the early 90's who falls foul of the Yakuza. The ending promises a series two as it was "unfinished business". Supposedly a true story. Elgort spent much of the film speaking Japanese. I asked my wife who is Japanese, about his linguistic skills, and she said, "Not bad for a gaijin". I then found this :https://startefacts.com/news/tokyo-vice-here-s-how-ansel-elgort-learned-japanese-so-fast Compare that to Rock Hudson who once said, "I need a script to order a ham sandwich".

My final recommendation is "71". A brutal film about the Northern Ireland toubles. In it, a soldier gets detached from his patrol. I won't spoil it, but by the time I had seen it, neither the British, Catholics or Protestants came out of it with any credit. It really was a very dirty war.

Just an additional comment on "West Side Story". It's had a bit of modernisation in the language dept, and "mofo" gets a few mentions in the opening scenes.

One particular song is modified: "I feel pretty". The opening line was: "I feel pretty. Oh so pretty, Oh so pretty and witty and gay". "Gay" has been changed to "Bright", out of respect to those who are unaware that "gay" originally had a completely different meaning.  

On 1/2/2023 at 8:15 AM, Bluesofa said:

Happy Valley BBC police drama series.

Series 3 is now being broadcast, stars Sarah Lancashire as a no-nonsense police detective in Yorkshire.
The series was written by Sally Wainwright, a well-know writer. The series has received  popular acclaim with viewers and critics alike.

Six episodes - one per week. First was shown last night, available on torrent already.

Preferred Sarah when she was fit Raquel with Curly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your Honor S02

Three episodes available now.

After the end of season one, I didn't see how this could continue. 

But it has & it's terrific. Lots of sub plots going on.

Really great acting from Judge Desiato (Cranston) & Baxter (Michael Stulberg)

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 10:42 AM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

The English can be viewed on BBC iPlayer ( VPN required) or a torrent site ( VPN recommended) or streamed from various places, I use hdtoday.cc ( no VPN ) and find it very efficient.

Many, many, streaming sites available such as fmovies, tinyzonetv and lookmovie, different browsers can give different results on streaming sites and some can appear “ buggy “.

Thanks for the link to 'hdtoday' Dwizzley, it works just fine. Not a great movie buff but have just watched all the episodes of 'The Office' it gets more cringeworthy funny every time you watch it. Now started watching all the episodes of '3rd Rock from the Sun' 👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I realise this is a recommendation thread and the theme is ‘positive’, but here’s something against the grain:

“Everything Everywhere All At Once” - Academy Award for Best Picture 2023. 😳😴🤫

What an absolute load of cr*p. Possibly the worst movie I’ve ever seen. Who’s voting in the academy these days? 2 hours of my life I’ll never get back. Awful, truly awful…