Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

I Call Him By His Name (2022) 45mins

A BBC documentary, part of the series 'Our World'

In March 2022 400 bodies were found in Bucha, Ukrainians killed by the invading Russian army. It included nine who were beaten and shot. One survived to tell what happened.

Available on torrent.

• Like 1

Life after Life (2022 - )

Tv drama with 4 eps.

7.3 imdb 

I liked this period drama about Ursula , born in 1910 she dies several times in her life but by some strange quirk her life resets from the beginning, as she gets older she realises she can use this to her advantage.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13872480/

This movie made me remember Ashton Kutcher in The Butterfly Effect, another movie I liked and will probably revisit soon.

• Thanks 2

I tried this one:

Copper ( 2012-2013 ) tv series, 2 seasons 

7.5 imdb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8681148/

Set in New York , 1860’s , I thought I would like it as it’s an era of so many good movies/series. Concentrating on the Irish immigrants and the main characters are coppers ( police ) I was thinking “ Gangs of New York “ but unfortunately I didn’t warm to the main characters and gave it up after a couple of episodes. But it does get good reviews.

Soo, am currently watching this:

This is going to hurt ( 2022 ) tv series 7 eps

8.4 imdb 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8681148/

“ Set on labor Ward with all its hilarity and heart-lifting highs but also its gut-wrenching lows, the show delivers a brutally honest depiction of life as a junior doctor on the wards, and the toll the job can take back home. “

Typical U.K. sarcasm abounds in this pleasant comedy drama with more than its fair share of explicit baby delivery scenes, blood and swearing.
Slated by those idiots on t’other forum for daring to show some people of colour and tackling a gay theme  made me want to watch this more .

Half way through and liking it !!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Dispatches:Myanmar –The Forgotten Revolution

Anyone found a torrent for this yet, please?

No, got it on My4 with a VPN

10 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

No, got it on My4 with a VPN

I used a free vpn but it no worky.  Which one did you use?

42 minutes ago, Faraday said:

I used a free vpn but it no worky.  Which one did you use?

ExpressVPN works, and it’s All4 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

It is My4 for me on my PC.

Ah okay, I thought you were confusing it with My5 .

7196E025-E062-48C5-B060-D37E994BED42.thumb.jpeg.62dcbd1256a61ac329926a7df31d8a6f.jpeg

12 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Ah okay, I thought you were confusing it with My5 .

7196E025-E062-48C5-B060-D37E994BED42.thumb.jpeg.62dcbd1256a61ac329926a7df31d8a6f.jpeg

Click on All4, or channel4.com, and one of the tabs at the top says My4. Is the dreaded Mr Alz setting in?

13 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Click on All4, or channel4.com, and one of the tabs at the top says My4. Is the dreaded Mr Alz setting in?

Probably 😕, tbh I don’t use the U.K. apps much and only went on today to see if you Myanmar thingy would work on ExpressVPN.

Maybe Mr Faraday doesn’t know where to find My4 it doesn’t appear on my version of the All 4 app ?

• Confused 1

True Story ( 2021 ) tv series 1 season 

7.5 imdb 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13655456/

Kevin Hart plays Kid , a comedian/actor who is really hitting the big time. Wesley Snipes is the troublesome older brother and Billy Zane  as the loudmouth Greek gangster.

Had this on the back burner for a while now but decided to take a look, glad I did !

Hart plays it seriously and does well as he tries to resolve the problem resulting from a night of indiscretion, unfortunately things spiral from bad to worse.

• Thanks 1

Succession (2018-) tv series, 39 episodes 

8.8 imdb, drama

Logan Roy ( Brian Cox ) heads the biggest media and entertainment company in the world, on the event of his 80th birthday he mentions his intent of stepping down from head of the company. His family, 4 children and current wife, all feel they are ideally placed to fill the old man’s shoes.

Normally this, mega rich family drama, wouldn’t appeal to me but the high imdb rating attracted my attention.

Am only a few episodes in but am hooked, a great cast of characters jockeying for position in their fathers business with the usual backstabbing tactics emerging.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7660850/

• Like 2

13 Lives

The Hollywood version of the Thai cave rescue

I really liked it, not as much as the National Geographic doc on the rescue

But it was really good, I got a bit emotional thinking of the what they did to rescue these kids

And then just thinking of what an accomplishment for these guy's lives

I think the movie did a great job at showing just how overwhelming it all was for the rescuers, bringing these kids out the way they did

Well worth the watch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just what we needed …. another movie about that cave rescue !!

Thirteen Lives ( 2022 )

7.8 imdb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12262116/

Directed by Ron Howard and starring Vigo Mortensen and Colin Farrell , amongst others, it was hard to let this go unwatched.

At 2 1/2 hours long it may seem a bit daunting to watch a movie about a story that we are all very familiar with but it moves very quickly initially and we are soon on the verge of finding the boys. The majority of the movie concentrates on the method of extracting them from the cave, some great underwater shots as the divers carry their “ packages “ through the murky tunnels and some touching scenes of the boys as they realise they are to be sedated.

Rick , John and Harry are the lead characters , Vern plays a minor role, although his importance in the actual rescue is noted, Elon is nowhere to be seen.

So , although I enjoyed this movie and thought it was well made and worth watching I didn’t really learn anything new …… except for John’s addiction to Custard Creams that is 😀

Seems like i was beaten to it as I was writing my post 😕

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Just what we needed …. another movie about that cave rescue !!

Thirteen Lives ( 2022 )

7.8 imdb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12262116/

Directed by Ron Howard and starring Vigo Mortensen and Colin Farrell , amongst others, it was hard to let this go unwatched.

At 2 1/2 hours long it may seem a bit daunting to watch a movie about a story that we are all very familiar with but it moves very quickly initially and we are soon on the verge of finding the boys. The majority of the movie concentrates on the method of extracting them from the cave, some great underwater shots as the divers carry their “ packages “ through the murky tunnels and some touching scenes of the boys as they realise they are to be sedated.

Rick , John and Harry are the lead characters , Vern plays a minor role, although his importance in the actual rescue is noted, Elon is nowhere to be seen.

So , although I enjoyed this movie and thought it was well made and worth watching I didn’t really learn anything new …… except for John’s addiction to Custard Creams that is 😀

Seems like i was beaten to it as I was writing my post 😕

Haha , I thought you were commenting on my post

I did like the Documentary a lot more

And as I said in my review, I think the movie made me realize more how overwhelming it was for the rescuers, and the responsibilty they felt

For whatever reason, I didn't get that from the Doc

• Like 1

Prey ( 2022 ) action/sci fi movie 

7.2 imdb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11866324/

Apparently this is number 5 in the Predator franchise, I only knew of the 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger movie !!, anyway it’s getting some good reviews.

Okay so it’s back to 1719 for this version, Comanches are the hunted this time, plus a few unfortunate French fur trappers, and time for one particular young female Comanche to show her hunting skills.

With some beautiful scenery, some more insight into the lethal technology of the predator, lots of blood and gore and some dubious dialogue from the 1700’s I enjoyed this.

Pure escapism obviously but still a nice mix of the Wild West and Sci - Fi , might dig out Cowboys & Aliens next 😀

• Thanks 1

Found my way onto a TV Series with the same name "Get Shorty",

It's a spin off but completely different, based on the same concept of a hitman becoming (eventually) a film producer, Not up to the standards of a Tarentino film but for a series if worth a few binge watches when you find yourself with some alone time and a fridge with beers.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5761496/

MV5BMTExMTM2MTg3OTZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDg0ODIxODIy._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I think this will be very interesting & perhaps somewhat harrowing also.

I can remember in the '60's several boys/girls who appeared mid-term at school, telling me they had been 'living in Kenya'

Hearing things on TV about the 'Mau Mau' as if they were the baddies.

IMG_20220816_052838.png

Witness Number 3 (2022) tv mini series, 4 eps

6.2 imdb, drama 

Jodie is at work in her salon and a brief glance out of the window will change her life forever. Witness to a seemingly innocent event puts her life in danger but the answer is simple ….. don’t sign the witness statement.

This started off full of promise to be a gripping tense drama but halfway through it lost its impetus and started to drag as we are involved needlessly in the backstory of one of the main characters. The story would have easily fit into 3 episodes.

A missed opportunity to keep the tension going, imho.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15844310/

• Thanks 1