Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

4 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Witness Number 3 (2022) tv mini series, 4 eps

6.2 imdb, drama 

Jodie is at work in her salon and a brief glance out of the window will change her life forever. Witness to a seemingly innocent event puts her life in danger but the answer is simple ….. don’t sign the witness statement.

This started off full of promise to be a gripping tense drama but halfway through it lost its impetus and started to drag as we are involved needlessly in the backstory of one of the main characters. The story would have easily fit into 3 episodes.

A missed opportunity to keep the tension going, imho.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15844310/

Did you d/l the torrent? I've only managed to find E01 for weeks now.

3 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Did you d/l the torrent? I've only managed to find E01 for weeks now.

Normally I stream stuff on hdtoday.cc but am in the U.K. now so watched it on Sky.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:29 PM, Faraday said:

I think this will be very interesting & perhaps somewhat harrowing also.

I can remember in the '60's several boys/girls who appeared mid-term at school, telling me they had been 'living in Kenya'

Hearing things on TV about the 'Mau Mau' as if they were the baddies.

IMG_20220816_052838.png

I knew of "Major Henderson" when he was a security advisor, of sorts, to the Sheikh Isa, Amir of Bahrain. I was a nipper at the time, when my father was part of a small British Army detachment in Bahrain in the late 70s/early 80s (British Army in Bahrain Defence Force uniform and rank).  Henderson was a colonial police officer in Kenya, some described him as taking a "no nonsense" approach to the uprisings; others might view that as code. In Bahrain he was put in charge of the ominous sounding " Bahraini General Directorate for State Security Investigations", which other Arab countries would probably call the Mukhabarat (secret police). Notable that no other foreigner at the time was put in command of a Bahraini agency (my father was a British Army Captain, and was under the direct command of a Bahraini Colonel). Rumours about him circulated about him on the island, and he never mixed with the official British presence. We knew of people who were "disappeared" (locked up on a prison island, never seen again) at that time; family members shrugged, and said inshallah, because their relative had maybe supported the wrong party, so it was kind of their own fault. It was a dicey time; Bahrain had experimented and abandoned Parliamentary democracy, and Iran, whether under the Shah, or as the Islamic Republic, had always tried to stir things up on the island. There are two versions to Henderson's life story. For some, he was a decorated hero, for others, literally a Butcher in Bahrain. We'll likely never really know what happened.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of great “ nights “ for those who may have missed them.

Back to 2016 for a couple of miniseries that I’ve had on the back burner for a while but decided to give them a go, and glad I did !!

The night of ( 2016 ) tv miniseries 8 eps

8.5 imdb 

“ Naz is a strait-laced Pakistani-American student who is off to a must-attend party on a Friday night. His only available transportation being his father's taxi cab, Naz sets off into Manhattan. But his party-going plans are quickly forgotten when a mysterious young woman jumps aboard in need of a ride. Charmed by her intense intrigue and good looks, Naz gets swept up by her pressures. After a mind-altering night of drugs and passion, the woman is dead, and Naz finds himself in the crosshairs of a gruesome murder investigation, panicked and shaken, but possibly with a trace of doubt as to his own innocence. “

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401256/

The night manager ( 2016 ) tv miniseries 6 eps

8.1 imdb 

“ An Englishman, Jonathan Pine (played by Tom Hiddleston), is working as the night manager of a Cairo hotel. He gets involved with a local woman who is the girlfriend of a local gangster. Through her relationship with the gangster she has acquired information linking illegal international arms sales with Richard Roper (Hugh Laurie), an English billionaire. She is soon found dead, murdered due to her having this information. Fearing for his own life, Pine flees, ending up working at a remote hotel in Switzerland. Four years pass, and then Roper visits the Swiss hotel. This rekindles Pines thirst for revenge, and he is enlisted by British Intelligence to spy on Roper. What follows is a very dangerous game of intrigue and deception. “

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399664/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hunters ( 2020 -    ) tv series 10 eps

7.2 imdb

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7456722/

“ In 1977 New York City, a troubled young Jewish man bent on revenge is taken in by a secret group of Nazi hunters fighting a clandestine war against the cabal of high-ranking Nazi officials in hiding who work to create the Fourth Reich. “

Just started this and it got off to a good, bloodthirsty, start. Al Pacino leads the Nazi hunters and when his good friend and fellow camp survivor is murdered he welcomes her grandson Jonah into the diverse group to join the hunt !!

On 9/10/2022 at 1:28 PM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

The night manager ( 2016 ) tv miniseries 6 eps

8.1 imdb 

“ An Englishman, Jonathan Pine (played by Tom Hiddleston), is working as the night manager of a Cairo hotel. He gets involved with a local woman who is the girlfriend of a local gangster. Through her relationship with the gangster she has acquired information linking illegal international arms sales with Richard Roper (Hugh Laurie), an English billionaire. She is soon found dead, murdered due to her having this information. Fearing for his own life, Pine flees, ending up working at a remote hotel in Switzerland. Four years pass, and then Roper visits the Swiss hotel. This rekindles Pines thirst for revenge, and he is enlisted by British Intelligence to spy on Roper. What follows is a very dangerous game of intrigue and deception. “

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399664/

An excellent mini-series and one of the few I have retained on my PC to watch again.

• 3 weeks later...

This looks as if it might be worth a *gander:

Reprise 2006

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0827517/

Review from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2007/sep/09/drama.worldcinema1

I try not read any Roger Ebert reviews, they so often are verbose, pretentious too smart for their own good.

Nearly forgot the picture.... being:

"worth a thousand words & all that" :classic_rolleyes:

IMG_20221005_052547.thumb.png.182115081e29f4fa89d938e017e64acc.png

Kill thy neighbour: tv series ( 2021 - ) 6 episodes 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15208860/

Almost dumped this midway through episode 1 as it was quite repetitive, the killer was known very early on and the remainder of the episode was spent trying to justify the stress involved in running an allotment which led to the death of an 80 year old woman. It was almost comical, had I mistakenly been watching a mocumentary ??

It improved slightly over the next couple of episodes but eps 4 thru 6 turned out to be the most interesting.

So, I recommend this series but only the last three episodes, of course if you are curious and in need of a laugh you could watch episode 1  !!

Speaking of mockumentaries …………..

Cunk on Earth: tv series ( 2022 ) 5 episodes 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16867040/

Diane Morgan plays Philomena Cunk in this latest season of Cunk exposes documentaries, previously Cunk on Britain, Shakespeare and Cunk & Other Humans on 2019. Uncovering some of the mystery and myths about the planet we live on, this season based around our most famous inventions.

Told straight faced with a high level of sarcasm this latest season scores an impressive 8.2 on imdb, earlier seasons scoring equally impressive 7.7 to 8.2 ratings.

The whole Cunk persona gives off a “ love her or hate her “ vibe.

Personally I found it incredibly cringeworthy and hated it, others might like it though .

• 1 month later...

The Walk In (2022) tv series 5 eps

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22175166/

Stephen Graham stars as Matthew Collins an ex Neo Nazi turned journalist and campaigner risking his life to expose National Action ( a British extremist and Neo Nazi organisation ) based in Warrington.

Following the murder of Yorkshire MP ( Jo Cox )Collins is contacted by a recent recruit of N Action when talk is to target another female MP and female Police Officer. Collins is happy to have a man on the inside but at what cost to the informant and Collins’s family !!

Graham gives his usual sterling performance in a great drama based on a true story.

Started watching an excellent cop drama mini series from 2012 this week, Stephen Graham playing a scouse thug who along with some thug mates gives a local copper a good kicking. The series then becomes a vengeance drama and the action is intense and gripping.

Couldn’t understand why i hadn’t heard of this before as a big Graham fan and although he wasn’t the main protagonist he played a big part in the story.

But, and this is a big but, at the end of episode 4 it abruptly ended !!. I searched for more episodes and, to my dismay, learned that episode 5 was made but 2 Manchester police were killed in a way not too dissimilar from the storyline in episode 5 and it was decided not to release the episode (fair dues).

So, needless to say I was dismayed, kinda like when you put your hand in the bag of candy/Lays to find it empty and you peer into the corners of the bag hoping to find another one lurking there !

It was called Good Cop if anyone interested:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2256491/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

The English TV Series.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt11771270/

Absolutely worth a look.

Hi, a quick question (or two) if I may. Is that link you showed, the link you watch your movies with and tv shows on, I did click on it and registered and it says that you need to be an 'Amazon' member to view their services. There is Amazon Prime and a cheaper subscription, are those the only two options, or is there an option to watch free programs. 

Damn, that's three questions. 🤔

33 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Hi, a quick question (or two) if I may. Is that link you showed, the link you watch your movies with and tv shows on, I did click on it and registered and it says that you need to be an 'Amazon' member to view their services. There is Amazon Prime and a cheaper subscription, are those the only two options, or is there an option to watch free programs. 

Damn, that's three questions. 🤔

Torrents are free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Torrents are free.

Do I need a VPN, any recommendations of a reliable Torrent provider, never used one before, thanks. 

24 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Do I need a VPN, any recommendations of a reliable Torrent provider, never used one before, thanks. 

The English can be viewed on BBC iPlayer ( VPN required) or a torrent site ( VPN recommended) or streamed from various places, I use hdtoday.cc ( no VPN ) and find it very efficient.

Many, many, streaming sites available such as fmovies, tinyzonetv and lookmovie, different browsers can give different results on streaming sites and some can appear “ buggy “.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Don't need a VPN.

Pirate bay.

• Thanks 1