News Forum - Thailand U-turns on Covid-19 vaccine entry requirement

Thaiger

1 hour ago, Chatogaster said:

It works both ways. If Chinese would be barred from entering the rest of the world, the local stew would be bound to come up with novel variants no-one else has protection against. Right now China has a local problem. That doesn't make it a global problem, but if Chinese were to be barred it would eventually become a one.

How can you even begin to suggest "discussion"... I have been dealing with illnesses first hand for most of the last 20 years. I have taken it upon myself to get formally educated on epidemiology so I can better do my job protecting my crew/patients. I have 2 brilliant medical directors and access to at least a dozen Doctors. You seem to have some sort of simplified Dr. Phil version of how viruses work.

1 hour ago, Chatogaster said:

If Chinese would be barred from entering the rest of the world, the local stew would be bound to come up with novel variants no-one else has protection against. Right now China has a local problem. That doesn't make it a global problem, but if Chinese were to be barred it would eventually become a one.

Letting people enter other countries from a viral hotspot isn't helping anyone or mitigating the mutation of the virus at all. Your logic is beyond flawed and your education on the subject is lacking to say the least. 

• Like 3

Mmmm, not sure the supposed mass cancellation’s, reported to be in excess of 1000 hotel rooms, are all about meeting the now cancelled two dose rule and probably more to do with the not wanting to mix with high risk Chinese visitors that Thailand has opened up for without imposing the kind of things we had to go through until we reached where we are today.

well I guess the Chinese partnered hotels will be full. Probably of infected people after a short time.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BBY said:

well I guess the Chinese partnered hotels will be full. Probably of infected people after a short time.

Glad I have a pool access condo in Jomtien for my entire 28 day stay. I originally booked the Base condo which has traditionally been packed to the rafters with the Chinese in the past. The host cancelled my booking and then offered to re-book it for double the price so I used a reliable super host and found a much better ground level, pool access condo in Jomtien with fiber optic wifi and a washing machine and more square footage. As a paramedic, being stuck in an elevator with people coming from a viral hotspot with zero restrictions sounds like a nightmare!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Normally I would agree that this is a cynical political move. Only problem is that 99.9% of Thais are oblivious to this nonsense. If they know of it, they won’t be comprehending the damage this is doing. They won’t question the credibility of those causing it. The travel industry and the travelling public have been in turmoil with it over the past week, but to most Thais they won’t care. They won’t look at this and then relate it to all the other issues that do affect them and conclude Anutin can’t be trusted. I’m afraid the saying that people get the government they deserve is very applicable in Thailand. 

Although I agree about Thais not being interested/involved in their politics and so it is deserved

And also agree all of this has been ridiculous

I think you(and all us forum members) over-estimate how much of this stuff is followed by non-forum dwellers

90% of the visitors to Thailand don't obsess over the place like we do and so don't really even follow the going on's

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BBY said:

Mmmm, not sure the supposed mass cancellation’s, reported to be in excess of 1000 hotel rooms, are all about meeting the now cancelled two dose rule and probably more to do with the not wanting to mix with high risk Chinese visitors that Thailand has opened up for without imposing the kind of things we had to go through until we reached where we are today.

Good post that no one else brought up

Like myself, I wasn't concerned about vaccines

I am concerned about the Chinese bringing Covid into Thailand and am watching the developments for next month and that would be the reason I'd cancel my trip

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

As I mentioned earlier.....first it was "breaking news" and it becomes "break the breaking news" and now it is "break the break the breaking news".

I stand by my comment three days ago:
"It's quite straightforward: The Thai government is shit scared of the Chinese government."

Does this mean that anyone in Thailand coming in contact with tourists from China will be at heightened risk of Covid I wonder?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Although I agree about Thais not being interested/involved in their politics and so it is deserved

And also agree all of this has been ridiculous

I think you(and all us forum members) over-estimate how much of this stuff is followed by non-forum dwellers

90% of the visitors to Thailand don't obsess over the place like we do and so don't really even follow the going on's

Yes of course they don’t obsess over it and they don’t have a vote, which is the political link. However they do when it comes to planning a trip on holiday. Not just visitors, people within the country suddenly get impacted with it. 

This morning, a friend of mine was due to travel to Malaysia to visit a friend of his who was passing though on the way to Australia. Flights and hotels booked and paid for. As he’s not vaccinated and struggles to get insurance due to previous health issues, he decided to cancel his trip for fear of not getting back home to Thailand. He awoke this morning to find he could have travelled after all following the latest U-turn. 12,000 baht down the drain due to confusion and obfuscation by the Thai authorities. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This morning, a friend of mine was due to travel to Malaysia to visit a friend of his who was passing though on the way to Australia. Flights and hotels booked and paid for. As he’s not vaccinated and struggles to get insurance due to previous health issues, he decided to cancel his trip for fear of not getting back home to Thailand. He awoke this morning to find he could have travelled after all following the latest U-turn. 12,000 baht down the drain due to confusion and obfuscation by the Thai authorities. 

An unvaccinated friend had to change his flight last minute to arrive Sunday since they announced the new rule. Cost him 20,000 baht. Then the next day they flip-flop and his money's down the toilet already. They are so terrible at flip-flopping it's beyond a joke now.

I'm overdue a trip back home, was planning on going next week, but now with the rules being flip-floppy again I'm not sure I should travel. I'm sure this will result in many more well-deserved cancellations. I just hope the Chinese cancel too as it's clearly a bad idea to flood hotels and tourist hotspots with infected people. They really couldn't pick a worse timing - just like in 2020.

33 minutes ago, Pinga said:

They really couldn't pick a worse timing - just like in 2020.

Agreed. Its Winter in China and as we all know, respiratory virus’s peak in the winter months. I know it’s high season in Thailand and the weather is perfect for anyone trying to escape the drab winter. But where’s the responsibility element? I think I know the answer to that question. 

34 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. Its Winter in China and as we all know, respiratory virus’s peak in the winter months. I know it’s high season in Thailand and the weather is perfect for anyone trying to escape the drab winter. But where’s the responsibility element? I think I know the answer to that question. 

You forgot one important factor:
Chinese New Year on 22nd January.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alavan said:

You forgot one important factor:
Chinese New Year on 22nd January.

Yes I did. Well sod off to visit your family in another part of China then. Have some respect for your family. 

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

They won’t look at this and then relate it to all the other issues that do affect them and conclude Anutin can’t be trusted. I’m afraid the saying that people get the government they deserve is very applicable in Thailand. 

Sad but true... oh and to quote your post on another thread where you said... "When I had to show my vaccination certificate early last year, I produced a print out of the details from the NHS app along with The QR code. No one at the gate did anything other than take a cursory look and the same thing when I landed in Bangkok. I know one guy who got a family member to print off their vaccination records and he simply changed the name to his own. Now, I wouldn’t suggest for one minute that an upstanding chap like yourself would indulge in such skulduggery."

What you said is 100% true...

I know two people that used a photo copier, white out and eventually made a reasonable looking blank CDC certificate ( ours generally don't have QR codes or anything, just handwritten on a card. ) They then not only filled it out but when to https://gogetdoc.com/vaxyes and uploaded the cards and vaccine dates and lot numbers and got a nifty card with a QR code to keep on their phones for a 2$ donation. They did use real dates and lot numbers from the original card they "Borrowed" They also laminated the QR coded cards and have been to Thailand twice using them. Once when they only wanted proof of vaccine and once under Thailand pass, because of the QR code they got almost instant verification... I uploaded my regular handwritten card and it took 7 days.

The ladies at airport desk or the agents at passport control are busy and they don't work for the FBI. I know for a fact you can buy the card template online for 19$ minus the CDC logo ( photoshop or a free online photo editor ) So I am sure that many people so inclined can Travel without any trouble regardless of the rules. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you could... nope... I just checked online... you CAN buy a covid vaccine exemption note or a covid recovery letter online for 69$ from an online doctor and that was just a 2 minute search on google...

More than one way to skin a cat apparently... I don't regret getting my vaccine, I would have just liked a choice in the matter that healthcare workers really don't get. I would never suggest that anyone ever take a backdoor approach, but I am not suggesting what anyone injects into their body either. I believe in personal liberty. If the vaccine meant you could never get covid or pass it to others I might feel differently.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grumpish said:

More flip-flops than a temple shoe rack, and getting more nonsensical each time.

Yeah yeah. Britain did the exact same thing in 2020. 

32 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Congratulations Thailand....90% of the HENAN province populations has been infected by covid as at 9th Jan 2023....

Where does that information come from?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Good post that no one else brought up

Like myself, I wasn't concerned about vaccines

I am concerned about the Chinese bringing Covid into Thailand and am watching the developments for next month and that would be the reason I'd cancel my trip

The Chinese covid is ok.  It's the dirty farangs, who don't shower, that Thailand has to be wary of.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Aljazeera live news from its China reporter..

And there's no reason to take Aljazeera and its China reporter seriously 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bushav8r said:

The Chinese covid is ok.  It's the dirty farangs, who don't shower, that Thailand has to be wary of.  

Bingo!!! Thai logic 101

• Like 1